Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR Bay 10k : Monday Aug 4th (Dún Laoghaire)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Any chance of a 'swag bag ' containing a packet of Tayto and a 'free pacer'? , you gotta compete don't cha know !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Great race, pity it always clashes with my track season but if I can do it as part of a long run I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

Hi BeepBeep, I have quick question about registration that I hope you can help me with. I registered last year as a walker but this year I want to run the 10k. The categories for registration are sub 35 mins, sub 60, walker and wheelchair. I'm not sure that I will be able to complete the course in less than 60 minutes with all those hills in the first 5k!! Just wondering what I should go for. It'll be be my first 10k run and I know I have a good amount of time to train for it so can work towards a 60 minute time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ohiknow wrote: »
    Hi BeepBeep, I have quick question about registration that I hope you can help me with. I registered last year as a walker but this year I want to run the 10k. The categories for registration are sub 35 mins, sub 60, walker and wheelchair. I'm not sure that I will be able to complete the course in less than 60 minutes with all those hills in the first 5k!! Just wondering what I should go for. It'll be be my first 10k run and I know I have a good amount of time to train for it so can work towards a 60 minute time.

Plenty of time to train for it and if you don't feel it's achievable come Aug, I can change your number at registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ohiknow

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Plenty of time to train for it and if you don't feel it's achievable come Aug, I can change your number at registration.

Ok, thanks a mil for that. Eeeeeek what am I getting myself into!!

• Advertisement

Little bump, freshly measured (the finish line was moved a bit due to the new central meridian on Queen's Rd) and a reminder that the €20 early bird closes on May 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Yep, think I'll enter this. Looks like a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

I will too. I did it last year and loved it. It almost goes past my front door. Great freebies at the end, particularly the Glenisk stand. Will they be there this year too??

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Looks like a good race

How hilly / flat is the route??

inigo wrote: »
    I will too. I did it last year and loved it. It almost goes past my front door. Great freebies at the end, particularly the Glenisk stand. Will they be there this year too??

At The Finish: When you cross the finish line please proceed to the
    medallion area, get some water, a bar, yoghurt and
    collect your baggage from the Baggage Area

• Advertisement

frogstar wrote: »
    Looks like a good race

How hilly / flat is the route??

0 - 2.5k relatively flat
    2.5k - 5.5k hilly but not continuous
    4.5k - 9k mainly downhill
    9k - Finish Flat - Little Climb - Flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I'd like to do this - I have family living around there so it would be handy and it would be nice to know a good 10k route for when I visit. Its a lovely scenic spot, especially as I'm used to looking at cows and mountains. Did you reach your 2,500 target last year? I don't want to sign up yet just in case. €25 is a bit steep for 10K, I wouldn't want to waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

AK333 wrote: »
    I'd like to do this - I have family living around there so it would be handy and it would be nice to know a good 10k route for when I visit. Its a lovely scenic spot, especially as I'm used to looking at cows and mountains. Did you reach your 2,500 target last year? I don't want to sign up yet just in case. €25 is a bit steep for 10K, I wouldn't want to waste it.

Also wondering about this...would like to do it but probably won't know if I'm around in Dublin that weekend until a bit closer. Bank holidays can often be spent heading to west cork to visit Mr. AC3's parents!

Hey Boardies - I have some €5 discount codes for Boards, just PM me if you are looking for one, they expire next Fri 25th.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ugh..already registered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

adrian522 wrote: »
    ugh..already registered :(
    Same. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Moi aussi.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hey all what is parking like at this, dun laoghaire can be pretty bad at times and id imagine the pavilion is closed ( only ask as i have a montly parking ticket in there)

Hasn't been any parking issues in the past years on side roads and around the town, but my advice is to selectively decide where you want to park. The Pavilion I believe is open but you won't get in after about 9:30 and you won't get out before 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Perfect stuff thanks for the info and the code, all registered and ready to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

recyclops wrote: »
    Perfect stuff thanks for the info and the code, all registered and ready to go

+ 1

Had a bit of trouble picking runner/walker.

I haven't done a sub 60 mins 10K but I don't walk - well its very slow jogging but I'm sure its not walking, really I am, its definitely faster than walking :o

Anyway I'm in so you can judge for yourself on the day :D

Getting my excuse in before the race:

Excuse No. 1 - going to jog down to the start from Glenageary, Upper not Lower (very important that) so technically on the day I'll be RUNNING further than 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I've done this every year except last year when I busted my ankle ligaments the week before the race. It's a great atmosphere - really enjoy it.

I'm a little disappointed at the entry categories though. First couple of years it was split between Elites and then various groups based on likely finishing times. This year it's just sub-35, sub-60, and then walkers. I was hoping to break 40 mins this year but the sub 60 minute group is likely going to be massive. I guess I'll have to get down early to get near the top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Is registration only available on the Sunday?

whelzer wrote: »
    Is registration only available on the Sunday?

Collection and late entries on the morning of the race, probably from 8 - 10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Might actually do this for the lolz...parking where? dart station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Would anybody with the necessary local knowledge (Dom!!) care to give a very quick once over of the course? I've heard there is a significant hill in the middle with a fast finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Would anybody with the necessary local knowledge (Dom!!) care to give a very quick once over of the course? I've heard there is a significant hill in the middle with a fast finish?

If you're looking for a negative split, then this could be the course for you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

recyclops wrote: »
    Hey all what is parking like at this, dun laoghaire can be pretty bad at times and id imagine the pavilion is closed ( only ask as i have a montly parking ticket in there)

last couple of years, I parked in Glasthule at the car park opposite the church, it's only a short walk down tot he start from there. Never had an issue, but was usually there pretty early.

• Advertisement

Course summary:
    1-3k relatively flat
    3k - 5.5k you are making your way up to the high point, but it's not consistent you have as much flat as up in that section.
    5.5k - 9.2k pretty quick, mainly downhill with a few flat sections
    9.2k - Finish back through the start line and a cheeky little climb up past Teddy's Ice Cream Parlor which you probably didn't notice 1st time, then the last 400-500 is flat if not slightly downhill.

Parking:
    Glasthule side if you're heading south after the race, 1k warm down back to the car.
    Main St and around the Dart should be free if heading North or the Royal Marine Hotel for a charge, there's a public ground surface car park there too.

Advertisement