Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR BAY 10k: 6th Aug 2012: Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'll do my best to answer questions
    Did you bull-doze that hill yet? :)
    Lovely course. Looking forward to it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Did you bull-doze that hill yet? :)
    Lovely course. Looking forward to it again this year.

I'm afraid the residents of Monkstown and Glenageary were having none of it :)
    It's positioned in the 1st half so you are forced to pace yourself correctly ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Felt awful running this last year but it's a great race, well organised and well marshalled. Easily accessible as well and starts late enough to get the dort to it. :D

Good atmosphere in DL last year too and a road race run on actual roads is a bit or a rarity in Dublin, even if it feels more like a mountain run. :)

It's highlighted on my calendar for my possible return this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

I might try pencil this in. Its a testing but great 10k. The second half of the course is actually quite fast. There could be well over 1000 runners at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Unlikely I'll be able to run this race this year but enjoyed it last year. The only advice I'd give is that if the price remains the same that the organisers should possibly look at offering a slightly better 'goody bag' rather than the bag of paper that entrants were given last year.

A very well organised event and lovely course, best of luck to all involved!

• Advertisement

Just over 4 weeks to go for this one, some meetings happening this week if anyone has any questions?

Dom

Just over 4 weeks to go for this one, some meetings happening this week if anyone has any questions?

Dom

Have they flattened out the hills yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    Is the route the same as last year?
    I was chatting to a guy who is involved in some area of local council and he told me the route wouldn't be the same, maybe it'll be easier?:)

Have they flattened out the hills yet?

If you're fitter - they're flatter ;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Is the route the same as last year?
    I was chatting to a guy who is involved in some area of local council and he told me the route wouldn't be the same, maybe it'll be easier?:)

To my knowledge it's the same - haven't heard otherwise - but I'll confirm in the next day or 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

2 stars (poor)

Dom
    Will Pat Kenny be making an appearance this year???

Will Pat Kenny be making an appearance this year???

Are you a fan? I'll try and organize an autograph ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 stars (average)
    I had never heard of this race until a few minutes ago. I've had a quick read through last years thread and the feedback seems to be that it was a very well organised race but that perhaps it was not worth the entrance fee. Has anything changed from last year / was feedback listened to ?

The goodie bag being an empty bag didn't go down very well :D

I'm very tempted to enter this as my first ever 10k.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I enjoyed the race last year, very well organised though agree on the goody bag front, got to choose between this and the port tunnel 10km.

Course is the same as last year, full road closures, etc.
    Goodie bag will have some goodies this year :rolleyes:
    There's also a competition on the facebook page to win 2 nights B&B in the Royal Marine for 2 people: https://www.facebook.com/Bay10k/posts/414484925257520

3 stars (average)
    There's also a competition on the facebook page to win 2 nights B&B in the Royal Marine for 2 people: https://www.facebook.com/Bay10k/posts/414484925257520

Oh well then expect a huge rush of sign ups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Trampas

can you advise what would parking be like?

Trampas wrote: »

No issues last year, if you get to the car park at Newtown Smith or the lower road between the start an finish early enough. Outside of that there was plenty of street parking available on the side roads.

3 stars (average)
    Dun Laoghaire dart station is right at the start / finish. Might be an option for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Trampas wrote: »

Car park in the Shopping Centre was shut last year, when I arrived, but it was easy enough to find parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    Parking is normally quite good around there early in the morning on a Sunday or bank holiday Monday. Still free on street (Sun & Bank Hol Mon) as far as I know.

Minor change to the course this year, only for the 1st k or so where the route will dip down on to the harbor road and avoid going through the finish area and where the buses park at the dart. It will rejoin last year's route at Crofton Rd / Dunleary Rd.
    Regarding the good bag and extras here's a snip it from the press release.
    All participants will receive A Medal, Chip Time, Draw string kit bag, Tee-Shirt & at the finish will get Water, Fruit, Nurti-Grain Bar & Yogurt.

3 stars (average)
    I ran this today as a recovery run, link below in case anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure I ran the right route including the slight change in the first 1K.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200200634

The third and fourth miles are the toughest but the last two miles make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

4 stars (good)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I ran this today as a recovery run, link below in case anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure I ran the right route including the slight change in the first 1K.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200200634

The third and fourth miles are the toughest but the last two miles make up for it.

Thanks, did it myself a couple of weeks ago in a similar time, the hills from Carrickbrennan Road to junction with Upper Glenageary and Lower Glenageary Roads are a challenge but a nice run overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Can you confirm there is no number collection on the Monday morning, only on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

3 stars (average)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Can you confirm there is no number collection on the Monday morning, only on Sunday?

Yeah this is a burning issue for me. Signed up for this a while back and am only now seeing collection is on Sunday. Unfortunately am flying in to London early that day to watch the ladies olympic marathon and then coming back into Dublin early on the monday to run the DL 10k. Going to be tough to organise a pickup on the sunday.

Any leeway possible?

3 stars (average)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    jahaco wrote: »
    Yeah this is a burning issue for me. Signed up for this a while back and am only now seeing collection is on Sunday. Unfortunately am flying in to London early that day to watch the ladies olympic marathon and then coming back into Dublin early on the monday to run the DL 10k. Going to be tough to organise a pickup on the sunday.

Any leeway possible?

I live in the area and I'm happy to collect your number on the Sunday if you want to PM me?
    I'm extremely jealous of your trip to the Olympics, you'll be full of enthusiasm and inspiration on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

3 stars (average)
    Hi Marthastew. That's really kind. Thanks.

Yes, that's the idea. Will be out there supporting the Irish girls and hoping that Paula is not injured again (although I think this is likely from what I hear).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Any idea if the t-shirt is technical or cotton?

• Advertisement

Any chocolate in the goodybag? Looks like a very disappointing goodybag to me. :)

Advertisement