Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Mar LIDL - Car Oil Suction Pump. €18

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Rockers.

Touche. Never used one. Male blonde moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pique wrote: »
    I would say 90% of dealers and slightly less independent mechanics use one of these. They're quick, simple, clean and tidy.

I use indy mechanics and I won't let them do this. Its lazy, its part of our short-term culture re cars and maintenance and it quite simply doesn't do the job. I sold premium-brand lubes for years and know what I'm talking about.

You could filter the oil you've taken out and put it back in and it would be a much better bet for your engine than the end-result of draining oil from the top and leaving metal contaminants in the engine to re-contaminate the fresh oil. Oil simply does not break down (within the manufacturer intervals(although they're pushing it lately, to satisfy fleet owners, not you and me)) and is useful far beyond the service intervals given. The reason you change it IS to remove the contaminants. Someone else said 'oil filter'. That's only half the equation.

ps while I'm at it, most Irish people HAVE NOT A CLUE about oil changes and neither do most mechanics. Mileage is only one criteria. Extreme operating conditions is the other. Short runs and cold driving should mean oil changes twice as often. Almost all that wear and tear happens while the engine is warming up. A simple and life-lengthening regime for any car. Its why I drive a 220K Xantia HDi (took it from 70k, and JUST changed from 1st clutch!) that will run right through 400K if its looked after. Most Irish drivers, and also most so-called mechanics, work by the book and HAVE NOT A CLUE about oil changes. Very few skilled tradesmen around who keep old cars on the road for people. We've just got so used to driving (and fixing) cars less than 10 years old. I would look to more frugal and less car-consumptive people like the mainland Europeans or the States. We get nervous when a car goes over 100k whereas all of that is a myth if you take even a few minutes a month to CARE about your car.

edit: if the sump nut hasn't been changed, your oil hasn't really been changed either. Laziness is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

At a pump rate of 200ml per minute I'd say it's sucking it up through a very small diameter hose - small enough to fit in the dipstick opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

I might have a repurpose for this little pump to pump oil from shallow boreholes. Is it a peristaltic pump?
    The housing shape suggests so. Good Peristaltic pumps are expensive like the solinst 410 at 1000 euro.
    Does anybody know what the suction lift is? The hose looks to be 2m long.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I sold premium-brand lubes for years and know what I'm talking about.

*giggles like a school girl*

• Advertisement

I might have a repurpose for this little pump to pump oil from shallow boreholes. Is it a peristaltic pump?
    The housing shape suggests so. Good Peristaltic pumps are expensive like the solinst 410 at 1000 euro.

At this price I'm getting one. I'll test it out (with water) and let you know. There might be something in the manual as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

lowelife wrote: »
    *giggles like a school girl*

With my extensive lube experience, and your deep giggling affectation, we could have a lot of fun. PM me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I use indy mechanics and I won't let them do this. Its lazy, its part of our short-term culture re cars and maintenance and it quite simply doesn't do the job. I sold premium-brand lubes for years and know what I'm talking about.

You could filter the oil you've taken out and put it back in and it would be a much better bet for your engine than the end-result of draining oil from the top and leaving metal contaminants in the engine to re-contaminate the fresh oil. Oil simply does not break down (within the manufacturer intervals(although they're pushing it lately, to satisfy fleet owners, not you and me)) and is useful far beyond the service intervals given. The reason you change it IS to remove the contaminants. Someone else said 'oil filter'. That's only half the equation.

ps while I'm at it, most Irish people HAVE NOT A CLUE about oil changes and neither do most mechanics. Mileage is only one criteria. Extreme operating conditions is the other. Short runs and cold driving should mean oil changes twice as often. Almost all that wear and tear happens while the engine is warming up. A simple and life-lengthening regime for any car. Its why I drive a 220K Xantia HDi (took it from 70k, and JUST changed from 1st clutch!) that will run right through 400K if its looked after. Most Irish drivers, and also most so-called mechanics, work by the book and HAVE NOT A CLUE about oil changes. Very few skilled tradesmen around who keep old cars on the road for people. We've just got so used to driving (and fixing) cars less than 10 years old. I would look to more frugal and less car-consumptive people like the mainland Europeans or the States. We get nervous when a car goes over 100k whereas all of that is a myth if you take even a few minutes a month to CARE about your car.

edit: if the sump nut hasn't been changed, your oil hasn't really been changed either. Laziness is a curse.

The metal contaminants in the engine are captured by a magnet in the oil pan anyway:
    transmission%20magnet%20catching%20filings.jpg

Some cars can only have the oil changed via suction from the Dip stick (e.g. Smart Car)

Saying that I always change it from the sump plug, this way seems a bit messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pique wrote: »
    I would say 90% of dealers and slightly less independent mechanics use one of these. They're quick, simple, clean and tidy.

Garages charge by the hour, if they can get the work completed in less time then they make more profit. So of course they'll use the quick method as if there is crap left behind it means more work for them. Also it's fairly easy to damage the sump or plug when removing/fitting and since a lot of regular service work is done by the less experienced staff there's less risk to the garage by not removing the plug.

If a car doesn't have a sump plug by design then the suction pump has to be used, if it has a plug it's there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sold out in all Lidl branches.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

any info on the instructions in relation to the suction depth?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Could this pump be used for removing diesel/petrol from a tank that's been accidentally filled with the wrong fuel type....?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Could this pump be used for removing diesel/petrol from a tank that's been accidentally filled with the wrong fuel type....?

Yeah it says it can be used for oil and diesel doesn't mention petrol, maybe petrol could do some damage to some of the seals in the pump, not sure. Or because it's an electric pump and petrol won't mix well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Feck it.
    Missed this.
    Anyone selling theirs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

T-Maxx wrote: »
    At this price I'm getting one. I'll test it out (with water) and let you know. There might be something in the manual as well.

I could be wrong, but I think it can only be used for oil and diesel as the liquid being pumped lubes the motor - I Think!

Didn't get one either. Seems they had very few and it went like hot cakes.

BTW if it is a peristaltic pump it'll pump pretty much any liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Slightly off topic but does anyone know any Lidl in Dublin that still has axle stands left? Tried Coolock last night and no joy (the pump was gone by then too)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

There were a few left in Ashbourne on Friday, didn't spot any in Finglas. Now has anyone found any stores with the oil pump / slump pump in Dublin or the North east.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Rathfarnam on grange road Lidlington had lots of axle stands last night. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Anyone no if the oil is any good there selling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

joe199 wrote: »

Too oily 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

joe199 wrote: »
    They have three types/grades on sale.

The synthetic oil at €5 per litre is very good. See specs/details in this post (more discussion in the same thread).

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement