Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Mar LIDL - Car Oil Suction Pump. €18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

May sound obvious, but the usefulness of the pump is determined by its sucking power. I had a cheapish pump like this previous and after 30 minutes it had barely removed half a litre from the car.
    I now have a Pela 6000 which is a unit that contains the oil. Takes about 15 minutes to drain the car, but very little oil gets left in the sump at the end. Small enough amount that I didn't need a bucket under when removing the drain plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

could I use this to suck the petrol out of my mates car?

he keeps stealing my f**king car space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

could I use this to suck the petrol out of my mates car?

he keeps stealing my f**king car space

Errm.... Wouldn't that make matters even worse if he can't start his car to move out of your space? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Thing is most sump plugs are magnetic so you can see any evidence of internal damage to the engine e.g. bits of metal shearing against each other. Not only will you not see this, all the crap (be it shards of sheared metal or varnish gunk type stuff) will remain on the bottom of you engine. When you put the new engine oil in you will just be mixing it with the crap and sending it all around the engine again....

Sounds obvious... but there is a reason the sump plug is on the bottom of your car... I wouldnt use one of these, nor would I buy a car from someone who admitted using one of these... I trust 1)garage 2) person who knows what they are doing..... 876) someone who sucks used oil out of the top of a car!

YMMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

deegs wrote: »
    Thing is most sump plugs are magnetic so you can see any evidence of internal damage to the engine e.g. bits of metal shearing against each other. Not only will you not see this, all the crap (be it shards of sheared metal or varnish gunk type stuff) will remain on the bottom of you engine. When you put the new engine oil in you will just be mixing it with the crap and sending it all around the engine again....

Sounds obvious... but there is a reason the sump plug is on the bottom of your car... I wouldnt use one of these, nor would I buy a car from someone who admitted using one of these... I trust 1)garage 2) person who knows what they are doing..... 876) someone who sucks used oil out of the top of a car!

YMMV

Have you ever heard of an oil filter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I agree about the sump plug, it's there to remove the **** that builds at the bottom , no point filling new oil in on top of remaining dirt/slit. defeats the purpose of an oil change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i have tried a suction pump on a mercedes and it got every drop, tried it on a peugeot 308 and it left half a litre behind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have to say i dont agree with these, no matter what your gonna have **** rolling around on the bottom of the sump and its gonna be the heavy carbed up oil that you should be really removing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

YMMV

I would say 90% of dealers and slightly less independent mechanics use one of these. They're quick, simple, clean and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,978 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A lot of people don't want to go under their car to drain the oil. The elderly, women, the incapacitated

Do you think the elderly, women and the incapacitated will now be changing the oil on their cars because of this? :)

• Advertisement

Inbox wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of an oil filter?

Don't be soft... why do you think they change both oil filter and the oil...
    The oil filter does its job but it doesnt get everything...

Think this amazon review sums it up well (and he gave it 4/5)
    Amazon Verified Purchase
    I always chaged my oil the old fashioned way, car up in ramps and drain from the bottom. After buying a golf diesel and realising that the oil filter was on top of the engine, it was a no brainer to buy one of these and save the hassle of crawling under the car to get the job done.

The pump works perfectly but a couple of things to point out. Make sure that before the initial use, the tube that goes into the sump has been straightened out. I neglected to do this and ended up not draining the oil completely. The other thing I have noticed is that in comparison to the oil change on my old petrol car, the new oil looks blacker when I check with dipstick. I'm not sure the reason for this as I made sure that I drained as much as I possibly could second time using this. The oil is clean, just much darker.

I have read that this is no harm so will continue to use. I will however have it changed the old way by my mechanic intermittently just to be sure :o)

David

So David noticed that when changing oil with the pump it was darker than normally. This is due to the crap on the bottom of the sump David didn't get.
    He then says he will still take it to his mechanic... sheesh!
    Pique wrote: »
    I would say 90% of dealers and slightly less independent mechanics use one of these. They're quick, simple, clean and tidy.
    Any facts to back that up with? Maybe your dealers are not of a 'suitable' standard?
    Certainly any garage I've ever used have pits where access is no difficulty.
    For sure, the mechanics there would rather pop the sump and have the car empty at its own pace, than sit there with a pump sucking everything out...

As I said, YMMV

Edit: the reason you see good review on the product is they are reviewing "ease of use" and for that they are giving it the thumbs up.
    The damage done to a car wont be seen for 10's of 1000's of miles... when David is wondering why his 5 year old golf needs new engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

For those that like to keep their cars and service 2-3 times more frequently than the manufacturers recommendation these make sense. Lots of new vehicles have stupidly long oil change intervals - the manufacturer doesn't want your engine to last forever. My van is supposedly 40kkm and has a collossal longlife 2 stage filter. As I like to keep my vehicles for at least 300+kkm I change the oil every 12-14kkm while the oil is still in good condition, vacuum oil every second change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Any facts to back that up with? Maybe your dealers are not of a 'suitable' standard?
    Certainly any garage I've ever used have pits where access is no difficulty.
    For sure, the mechanics there would rather pop the sump and have the car empty at its own pace, than sit there with a pump sucking everything out...

Just cause they have pits doesn't mean they use them for draining oil.

Advance Pitstop use them along with all the other tyre places as they need the ramps for tyre and exhaust jobs.

Very common in all types of garages, many cars need undertrays etc removed which are just a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The damage done to a car wont be seen for 10's of 1000's of miles... when David is wondering why his 5 year old golf needs new engine.

If the pump removed 80-90% of the oil from your engine and you changed the filter and put 80-90% new fresh oil back in, do you really think the small amount of old oil left in the engine is going to cause damage?

Bearing in mind if you changed the oil regularly this way and only removed 80-90% of the old oil each time, I can't see there being any problems.

With that said, I'll still stick to the old fashioned way because I can't imagine a pump costing less than €20 will last long enough to get more than a few uses out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

speaking of oil changes, can anyone recommend a (near D3) garage for an oil change (using good oil?)

a bit OT i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Vikings wrote: »
    If the pump removed 80-90% of the oil from your engine and you changed the filter and put 80-90% new fresh oil back in, do you really think the small amount of old oil left in the engine is going to cause damage?

Bearing in mind if you changed the oil regularly this way and only removed 80-90% of the old oil each time, I can't see there being any problems.

With that said, I'll still stick to the old fashioned way because I can't imagine a pump costing less than €20 will last long enough to get more than a few uses out of it.

Possibly.
    You could end up with a build up of really nasty oil at the bottom of the sump. Plus bear in mind that you're not only changing the oil because it's full of carbon, it also breaks down and thins out considerably from use. Not good to have too thin oil in the sump, especially if you push your car hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Some cars don't have sump plugs nowadays.

Vikings wrote: »
    I can't imagine a pump costing less than €20 will last long enough to get more than a few uses out of it.

Conrad electronics have been selling them for years on amazon as mannesmann pump, (lidl ones is slighty different moulding but if you look at the inset pictures its the same as the mannesmann) now selling on their own site, don't forget the 3 year lidl warranty. I've loaned mine out and the only people that complained about it haven't heated up the oil so its too viscous or the end pickup hose is against the bottom/side of the sump and blocked.:rolleyes:

Possibly.
    You could end up with a build up of really nasty oil at the bottom of the sump. Plus bear in mind that you're not only changing the oil because it's full of carbon, it also breaks down and thins out considerably from use. Not good to have too thin oil in the sump, especially if you push your car hard.

You'll never get all the oil out of an engine and theres only few percent of a difference between vacuum and draining once you orient the pickup tube correctly. If you have sludge it will stay in the sump with the plug removed too unless you use an engine flush solvent to try to dissolve it or drop the sump and clean it. With the vacuum pump you'll find out about sludge quick enough as it will block the tiny uptake tube and nothing will comeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

might be a bit awkward to use on a bmw or merc, with the battery being in the boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

pa990 wrote: »
    might be a bit awkward to use on a bmw or merc, with the battery being in the boot

There will be jump terminals in the engine bay connected to the battery so that is a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

So David noticed that when changing oil with the pump it was darker than normally. This is due to the crap on the bottom of the sump David didn't get.

I'd say it's more to do with the fact that he went from petrol to diesel.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I'd say it's more to do with the fact that he went from petrol to diesel.
    Not really, if your fuel is mixing with your oil in the main engine you are in trouble.
    Otherwise bearings and their oil should be similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

pa990 wrote: »

and dont you know aswell, some fool is gonna use it to drain oil with the engine running to save the battery from being run down by the pump........

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

dont think it'd do the oil strainer in the sump much good, can see that getting blocked up with all the crap left and oil pressure dropping over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Meh

I change the oil in the car regularly. More frequently than needed going by the car manual. I swap between using a suck pump and getting underneath and opening sump so best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I can't see a tube fitting down the dipstick holder, how thin are these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

tvc15 wrote: »
    I can't see a tube fitting down the dipstick holder, how thin are these things?

Oil filler cap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Oil filler cap.....

Rockers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    and dont you know aswell, some fool is gonna use it to drain oil with the engine running to save the battery from being run down by the pump........

took me a while to get it, but i finally see what you mean !!

Advertisement