Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMR Vaccine

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Who do you think should fund them?

I don't know, call me stupid, but I'd swear that medical technology has come on in leaps and bounds under the current system that you think is a total fraud, as evidenced by people living longer and longer, in spite of far less healthy diets than in the past.

It's almost like your claims fly in the face of the most obvious evidence there is. Or perhaps you think it's because we are all buying functional mushrooms and colloidal silver from your pals at Natural News?

Not the drug companies there is a massive conflict of interest there.

Medical tech has not come very far there not even able to cure the common cold never mind cancer.

One of reasons people now live longer is down to better sanitation which stops the outbreak of disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Jumboman wrote: »
    Not the drug companies there is a massive conflict of interest there.

Medical tech has not come very far there not even able to cure the common cold never mind cancer.

One of reasons people now live longer is down to better sanitation which stops the outbreak of disease.

Oh my

MYOB wrote: »
    So, I take it that's a "No, I don't have a shred of evidence" then?

The evidence is there for anyone that wants to look for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

One word vioxx. We were told by the "experts" that it was safe and anyone else who said otherwise was part of the tin foil hat brigade.

Was it the "tinfoil hat" brigade or the FDA who withdrew approval?
    And was the withdrawal based on clinical drug trials?
    It was the "experts" using scientific research and case reports who withdrew approval as the knowledge base grew.

If you want to continue this line of posting go to conspiracy theories, I've had enough of it here and you've had enough warnings about posting without linking references......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You will find that people who dont vaccinate their kids actually take the time to do their own research. There are far from uneducated.

Well seeing as I have not seen one properly researched argument against vaccination it's fair to conclude that they are not very good at doing their own research.

You mention Vioxx. It was a very poor thing to happen and to be allowed to happen, but it was discovered and withdrawn. Vaccines are around a long long time with many doses administered at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The evidence is there for anyone that wants to look for it.

Provide it, then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

MYOB wrote: »
    Provide it, then.

Jumboman is taking a week long break from here

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Terry Gilliam Beard

That's right - sure we had no sanitation at all really back in the 80s... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Martx

My support goes to Jumboman, if vaccines are so safe,how you are going to explain that there was a payout of 2billion USD in USA to vaccine damaged children?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_injury

mercury was used in vaccines and it was removed about 6-7 years ago, what it does to the human brains you can see in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loj5CaueA_E

Could anybody explain to me why I should vaccinate a newborn from tetanus and hepatitis B ( group of risk are prostitutes and junkies)? how can a newborn baby contract tetanus if he spends most of the time in bed or at home? How his gonna get diphtheria???
    Regarding chickenpox, if you do your own research you will find out that if the child contracts chickenpox at the young age(the younger the better) the easier he will get through it and he will have immunity for rest of his life and mother will pass antibodies with breast milk to newborn baby.It would be worth investing money in teaching how to breastfeed and not to put newborns on formula milk right from birth, because most of the mums are too lazy to do that(be honest).
    We didn't vaccinate our children and in first 2 years of their live they went through one bottle of calpol and neurofen (mostly when they were teething). They visited hospital only for regular check ups. When most of the our friend's children were sick a lot.
    I see that you have to post link to back up your words, could you post the independent research which would prove that vaccines saved the world? I didn't find one yet.
    I don't trust doctors, because they not interested in making you healthy. They simply don't care!!!
    Excuse my english, it's not my native language.

Martx wrote: »
    My support goes to Jumboman, if vaccines are so safe,how you are going to explain that there was a payout of 2billion USD in USA to vaccine damaged children?

mercury was used in vaccines and it was removed about 6-7 years ago, what it does to the human brains you can see in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loj5CaueA_E

Could anybody explain to me why I should vaccinate a newborn from tetanus and hepatitis B ( group of risk are prostitutes and junkies)? how can a newborn baby contract tetanus if he spends most of the time in bed or at home? How his gonna get diphtheria???
    Regarding chickenpox, if you do your own research you will find out that if the child contracts chickenpox at the young age(the younger the better) the easier he will get through it and he will have immunity for rest of his life and mother will pass antibodies with breast milk to newborn baby.It would be worth investing money in teaching how to breastfeed and not to put newborns on formula milk right from birth, because most of the mums are too lazy to do that(be honest).
    We didn't vaccinate our children and in first 2 years of their live they went through one bottle of calpol and neurofen (mostly when they were teething). They visited hospital only for regular check ups. When most of the our friend's children were sick a lot.
    I see that you have to post link to back up your words, could you post the independent research which would prove that vaccines saved the world? I didn't find one yet.
    I don't trust doctors, because they not interested in making you healthy. They simply don't care!!!
    Excuse my english, it's not my native language.

Forgot to add HPV vaccine,read this:

http://sanevax.org/japan-medical-experts-warning-hpv-vaccine-side-effects/

some girl died because of it, would you like to see your child dying or getting injured?or somebody's else child?

• Advertisement

some girl died because of it, would you like to see your child dying or getting injured?or somebody's else child?
    One person dies ---> thousands are saved = 'It's not safe!!' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Mod Note

I'll say it once because your username is new here, though it remains to be seen whether the individual behind the username is new. You have clearly read the thread.

Peer. Reviewed. Journal.

Supply a link to one, if not you'll be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

From my reading around this, I came across the concept of an infant having contact with Other People. When I first read about it, it literally BLEW. MY. MIND!

It explains a lot though- like how the blighters keep putting on weight, despite lacking the manual dexterity and higher mental functioning to feed themselves, and how they often appear in different areas of the house despite no obvious means of independent locomotion.

One person dies ---> thousands are saved = 'It's not safe!!' :confused:

it's not one person,how come you didn't answer to this:

MrCreosote wrote: »
    From my reading around this, I came across the concept of an infant having contact with Other People. When I first read about it, it literally BLEW. MY. MIND!

It explains a lot though- like how the blighters keep putting on weight, despite lacking the manual dexterity and higher mental functioning to feed themselves, and how they often appear in different areas of the house despite no obvious means of independent locomotion.

You should read how is tetanus and hepatitis contracted, it's not easy to get for newborn baby. And even if he steps on a nail or something he will be given tetanus jab in hospital again.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

it's not one person,how come you didn't answer to this:

This is the thread that keeps on giving. Highly entertaining. I know that I am going to use Wikipedia for my next paper!

Vioxx is a little off thread - but yes it was found to have an increase risk of cardiac events - but so do all the NSAIDs. They also cause renal failure, gastric ulceration, etc,etc. There is no perfect drug. In fact, one of the more useful drugs is Aspirin, which has so many bad side effects, it probably wouldn't get approved for use today.

With regard to vaccines, vaccines are good. The risk/benefit ratio is in favour of their use. There is no proven connection between vaccines and autism. Those conspiracy theorists unfortunately have latched on to it to try and make sense of their world. This is unfortunately to the detriment of most sound think people and their children.

Arguing with Jumboman and his friend Martx is like Don Quixote baying st the windmills - feels good but won't achieve anything

You should read how is tetanus and hepatitis contracted, it's not easy to get for newborn baby. And even if he steps on a nail or something he will be given tetanus jab in hospital again.

You do know that the 'tetanus jab' is a vaccination?

You do know that the 'tetanus jab' is a vaccination?

I do know that,how you gonna explain that if the person is vaccinated against tetanus and he steps on a rusty nail,he is given same thing again in a hospital? and he might get multiple shots? one girl in my country died because she was given 6 shots of tetanus in a hospital after accident.

I do know that,how you gonna explain that if the person is vaccinated against tetanus and he steps on a rusty nail,he is given same thing again in a hospital? and he might get multiple shots? one girl in my country died because she was given 6 shots of tetanus in a hospital after accident.

If you are going to make statements like that (which are simply not true in the case of standing on a rusty nail) back them up with links and references.
    Take a few days break from here to read through the forum charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

With regard to vaccines, vaccines are good. The risk/benefit ratio is in favour of their use.

This is the absolute crux of the argument. It's about parents making informed decisions and weighing up the risks and benefits of vaccinating their children. So let's take a look at what diseases are normally vaccination against when a child is 0 - 12 months old:
    • Diphtheria
    • Haemophilus influenza B (Hib)
    • Hepatitis B
    • Measles
    • Meningococcal C (Men C)
    • Mumps
    • Pertussis (Whooping cough)
    • Pneumococcal disease
    • Polio
    • Rubella (German measles)
    • Tetanus
    • Tuberculosis (TB)

Each and every one of these diseases has the potential to kill a baby. So by not vaccinating you are risking death to your child if they come into contact with them.

"But my child doesn't hang around with junkies!!11!!" you say. Well no, but did you know that many people who have Hep B don't know about it? It doesn't just come from needle sharing, it is also transmitted via unprotected sex or even sharing a toothbrush with an infected person. You might know the every habit of your own little darling, but there is no way to know what the habits or environments are of the people he or she is coming into contact with. 9 out of 10 babies who contract Hepatitis B will live with it for the rest of their lives.

"But I haven't vaccinated any of my kids and they're just FINE!" you say. Brilliant, if they haven't come into contact with any of the diseases above then there's no reason to think they'd be anything other than fine!

Vaccinating is about preparing for the unknown, the unseen. Vaccinating is about priming your kids' immune systems so that IF - and it is always an IF - in the unlucky even t they find themselves in a school with a measles outbreak you can rest that little bit easier by knowing that thanks to the MMR vaccine your child has a 95% chance of being immune to the disease and is not at risk of death.

If my child contracts measles she has a 3/1000 chance of dying. If she is vaccinated, she has a 95% chance of being fully immunised and less than a 1 in a million chance of a serious allergic reaction or worse. I know which odds I'll favour when my child's life is at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Because courts make decisions based on weaker standards of evidence than scientific studies. Because judges generally have no scientific background and cannot assess study findings. Because sometimes paying 2 billion USD is cheaper and easier than running more studies and fighting a queue of people in court for decades.

Court findings and out of court settlements are no substitute for the relevant evidence. They're a surrogate at best.

On this topic, this is a concerning news report

http://bit.ly/1gD9kEk

How many people have been saved by tetanus injections? I guess we'll have to give up on organ transplants too, because I hears someone died once during the operation.

Do you know what a 'booster' is?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

The reason most people (adults) get the tetanus jab in A&E when they present is because 1) you need a booster every 10 years and 2) the majority of people can't remember when they last got it so it's safer to give it. If someone is aware they've had it in the last 10 years they are not given the tetanus injection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭seamonkey92

Kids should be vaccinated and that is it. No argument. The facts are in the scientific papers.

Kids should be vaccinated and that is it. .

Yeah soviet union style ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭seamonkey92

From the horses mouth ...

Former Merck doctor predicts Gardasil will become 'greatest medical scandal of all time'

Vaccination is very safe and effective
    lol I neally fell off my chair when I read that headline. Reminds me of this

• Advertisement

Can anyone answer me this if vaccines are so safe then why dont the drug companies accept liability for them ? its not like the drug companies are short of money.

If a car company made defective cars they could not pass liability on to the state.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-indemnified-drug-firm-behind-swine-flu-vaccine-26726426.html

Advertisement