Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hootanany wrote: »
    Whats it called over here?
    Many thanks in advance.

Chuck steak possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hootanany wrote: »
    Whats it called over here?
    Many thanks in advance.

Flat Iron or feather steak.
    Lidl are selling flatirons at €16/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl are selling flatirons at €16/kg
    I was in there today and didn't see them. Are they actually calling them flatirons or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alun wrote: »
    I was in there today and didn't see them. Are they actually calling them flatirons or something else?

Calling them Irish Beef Flat Iron. must be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Calling them Irish Beef Flat Iron. must be out.

They're really nice, I wasn't expecting much as I hadn't even heard of the cut (I thought it was 'makey-uppy!) but we really enjoyed them. Great value too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Great, I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Medium rare definitely don't like it well done to tough! !

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

For me, it depends on the steak. A fairly thin-cut sirloin, then I like it blue. Screaming hot pan, 1-2 minutes each side, done. For a Rib-eye, I like rare, and for a thick-cut fillet, then I go medium-rare, as any rarer than that, and it becomes hard work to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

My medium rib eye steak NOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Generally rare, although cooking for 2 minutes each side doesn't always heat it up through the middle for me - is there a guide based on weight or height anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Steak or burger, medium rare. The nicest burger I have ever had in my life (The pigpen from here: http://www.lucky13slc.com/menus/) was pink in the middle and delicious. Life changing*.

*Not genuinely life changing, but has changed my burger ordering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Steak or burger, medium rare. The nicest burger I have ever had in my life (The pigpen from here: http://www.lucky13slc.com/menus/) was pink in the middle and delicious. Life changing*.

*Not genuinely life changing, but has changed my burger ordering.

Got invited on a stag while in the US a few years back. The best man had bought a chest freezer and a cow. We started and ended the night eating burgers off the BBQ he had minced himself, very rare and best burgers ever without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This post has been deleted.

If there's one thing everyone needs to know about cooking meat, never ever cook it straight from the fridge. Always temper the meat for a couple of hours at room temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

duploelabs wrote: »
    If there's one thing everyone needs to know about cooking meat, never ever cook it straight from the fridge. Always temper the meat for a couple of hours at room temperature

That right there is probably THE most important piece of advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Meat, cheese, tomatoes, eggs for baking : never use straight from the fridge!

I really notice the difference in steak, even if at room temp for only 20 minutes, vs the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Meat, cheese, tomatoes, eggs for baking : never use straight from the fridge!

I really notice the difference in steak, even if at room temp for only 20 minutes, vs the fridge.

Didn't realise it applies for cheese and tomatoes too

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Didn't realise it applies for cheese and tomatoes too

Room temp tomatoes have a much fuller flavour than fridge temp. Likewise, most cheeses, taste better out of the fridge at least an hour.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rare / medium rare. If it isn't red in the middle it's overdone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

medium rare rib eye for me, the bigger the better (at least 20oz).

i don't mind if it's so big that the centre bit of fat hasn't quite rendered properly, but with patience and practice it's doable with a combination of a very high and very low flame.

and can't we all just get along and bathe in our mutual love of seared cow meat? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've only ever cooked steak once in my life, but my mam gave me two lovely striploins at the weekend, so I'm going to cook them tonight for my housemate and I. The only problem is, we don't have a pan, only a wok :o Is there any point in bothering?!

I've only ever cooked steak once in my life, but my mam gave me two lovely striploins at the weekend, so I'm going to cook them tonight for my housemate and I. The only problem is, we don't have a pan, only a wok :o Is there any point in bothering?!
    You could grill it, or borrow a pan from a friendly neighbour, or if all else fails have a lovely beef stirfry :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    You could grill it, or borrow a pan from a friendly neighbour, or if all else fails have a lovely beef stirfry :)

I was thinking of doing the chilli beef stirfry from the cooking club, but I really want a steak with chunky chips and pepper sauce :D

Borrowing a pan isn't an option unfortunately!

If I was to grill, would I prepare the meat the same way as if I was frying (room temperature, rubbed with oil, salt and pepper)?

I was thinking of doing the chilli beef stirfry from the cooking club, but I really want a steak with chunky chips and pepper sauce :D

Borrowing a pan isn't an option unfortunately!

If I was to grill, would I prepare the meat the same way as if I was frying (room temperature, rubbed with oil, salt and pepper)?

Yep exactly the same prep, I once grilled steak over a layer of veg because I didn't have a wire rack and it was delicious, just finished grilling the veg (peppers, onions, courgettes, mushrooms) while the steak was resting, yum! Must try that again!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Yep exactly the same prep, I once grilled steak over a layer of veg because I didn't have a wire rack and it was delicious, just finished grilling the veg (peppers, onions, courgettes, mushrooms) while the steak was resting, yum! Must try that again!

Brilliant, thanks for the advice! I'll report back tonight, hopefully with happy results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has to be rare / medium rare. Nicest steak I ever had was in TGI Fridays in Orlando. Sirloin covered with blue cheese and bacon bits, with cheesy scallion mash. Oh and a side of BBQ ribs. Some nice beer too. 2nd Best night of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Has to be medium rare. Used to eat it well done when I was younger and didn't know better until I was on a family holiday in Florida and copied my dad and got it medium.

Tastes completely different! I would never go back.

When I'm at home, it's rubbed with melted butter then salt/pepper/garlic powder. Before it goes in the pan (high heat), some olive oil, 2 mins each side.
    Then wrap in tin foil (don't fully seal) and let it rest for 3-5 mins.

I am not resurrecting the whole juice vs blood debate. But I was tidying up my pocket subs, and came accross this aa gill article about drinking blood. Not for the faint hearted, but I figured some of you might find it interesting!
    http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/05/aa-gill-bull-blood-steak

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lots of people cook a certain way because they don't know any better, not because it is really the way they like it.
    I've seen someone repeatedly stabbing steaks with a fork leaving all the juice escape into the grill pan. They didn't do this because that's how they like their steak - they did it because they thought that was what you should do.
    I don't know how people would come to think that is the way to cook a steak, where do you think they came up with the idea that it should be done like that?

There are constantly cookery shows on tv these days, and I would think it is common knowledge that most chefs would not recommend a well done steak, in fact its rare to see steak being cooked on any tv shows without some comment about it, snide or otherwise, be it "come dine with me", or "kitchen nightmares" or just standard cookery shows.

Some might want it well done for safety reasons, be they valid legitimate concerns or ones in their head. Now some will snidely say they are ignorant and go on about bacteria being on the surface of steak etc. But there are mechanical tenderisation techniques which can drive surface bacteria deep into the meat, I am not sure how common they are here in butchers/supermarkets/restaurants.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks for the advice! I'll report back tonight, hopefully with happy results :D

Very happy bellies here, thanks dee_mc! Followed all the tips in the thread, took steaks out of the fridge an hour before serving, rubbed with oil, salt and pepper. Grilled for 3 mins each side and they came out perfectly medium (probably more on the medium rare side), and let them rest for about 10 mins. I only eat steak about once a year and usually only fillet, but I'm converted. It was melt in the mouth yummy!

Advertisement