Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mickdw wrote: »
    Do you see it as defining your social class or something. Is clear from your post that you don't fancy raw meat yet you are almost wishing you could manage to stomach it.
    There is alot of nonsense associated with stake and people eating it more and more raw.

Excuse me? The point I was tryin to make was that a Frence Chef or Frence generally have a different perception to food, and their food is generally better as well

However before I went there on a holiday, I was not aware that a rare/medium/well done steak was different to a rare/meduim/well done here. I order a medium here, whilst I should have ordered a well done there I wanted the same thing that I was used to. I actually felt embarrassed asking if the chef could put it back on for another minute, and the he was probably annoyed at ruining a nice cut of meat.

Its nothing to do with class, but personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

duploelabs wrote: »
    If someone says to you that it's blood coming from their steak (or whatever meat) then disregard any other food knowledge that's uttered from their mouths, this also applies to oil in boiling water for pasta and cream in a carbonara

I still hear chefs talking about "sealing" meat on a hot pan:rolleyes:

dipdip wrote: »
    Yeah, from your brain aneurysm. :pac: Always getting your knickers in a twist man!

It's more about being passionate about food and food issues and having a sense of humour (I think you miss that part). Man/Missus !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Ah, we can't be connoisseurs on everything. It looks like blood to us ignorant folk who like a bitta rare meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    However before I went there on a holiday, I was not aware that a rare/medium/well done steak was different to a rare/meduim/well done here. I order a medium here, whilst I should have ordered a well done there I wanted the same thing that I was used to.

I found that interesting in France too! If I remember properly there are 2 degrees of Blue steak, an 'exactly as it should be' steak which is on the rare side of medium rare, a 'well done steak' which would be roughly medium and a 'very well done' steak which is browned through. Caused all manner of ruccus among people who ordered the second one in on the list thinking it'd be medium rare-ish and got pretty rare meat.

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    Ah, we can't be connoisseurs on everything. It looks like blood to us ignorant folk who like a bitta rare meat.

But it looks nothing like blood. Think about it. Blood is thick and more or less opaque. What comes out of rare meat is watery and see through - it really bears no resemblance to blood bar the colour. Same stuff comes out of cooked through meat too - but it is brown and still nothing like blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Medium rare or above, generally medium-mediumwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I still hear chefs talking about "sealing" meat on a hot pan:rolleyes:

depends if they've an asian accent and they could be searing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd say too many people order it rare, decide it's less cooked than they expected, and send it back. A lot of people don't realise that the inside of the steak is supposed to be cool when cooked rare.
    This is why, if I had a restaurant, I would have photo guides similar to the ones posted before, so people can pick what they want. It also gives them a better basis for complaint if it does arrive overdone/underdone, as they can more easily argue that "its not like the picture"
    Raw or rare steaks don't have any blood in them, the blood is long gone before the meat gets to you. The red juices are just myoglobin.
    Many people know its not technically blood but still call it that. And I don't think calling it myoglobin will suddenly turn most people's preference for not wanting it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Loire wrote: »
    @REW,

I actually have a cut just like that in the freezer - would you mind posting a link to the recipe?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Here is the recipe:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/dec/14/slow-roasted-rib-of-beef-with-bone-marrow-sauce-recipe

I made the sauce as well, it was ok but not amazing. Get your self a thermometer with an oven safe probe (like the one he endorses or a cheaper version of it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heston-Blumenthal-Precision-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B004NNUUWS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1394555333&sr=8-7&keywords=digital+thermometer+kitchen+probe)

The cooking time was way off for me, 5-6 hours was def not enough and I have a decent fan oven. id say give your self 8 hours and if its not at 55 ramp it up to 70 or 80 degrees for a few mins and it will come up. As long as you don't go crazy with the temp and you get it out when it hits 55 you will be Ok. Resting is important. I rested it for a good 45 mins with 2 layers of tin foil in a very warm kitchen.

When I carved it the board was practically clean, no one would believe I had caved a rib roast on it no "blood" or other juices as it was all still in the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Really? Why? I find Angus is juicier and has more flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Very rare bordering on blue depending on the cut of steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I've no problem with someone not wanting any pink in their steak if it's an issue for them but I hate the way so many well done eaters go so far past that point when cooking a steak that it is hard and dry.

Why do you hate it though? That's how that person eats their steak, that's how they like it and they're the ones who are eating it!!

Tayla wrote: »
    Why do you hate it though? That's how that person eats their steak, that's how they like it and they're the ones who are eating it!!

Lots of people cook a certain way because they don't know any better, not because it is really the way they like it.
    I've seen someone repeatedly stabbing steaks with a fork leaving all the juice escape into the grill pan. They didn't do this because that's how they like their steak - they did it because they thought that was what you should do.
    Likewise, many people cook steak for far too long, not, I believe, because they actually like it that way but because they mistakenly believe that it will be red/pink if they cook it for any less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks to this thread I will be having a delicious steak tonight, with a hot pepper sauce. Might even make a few chips to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I hate the word "steak" , covers everything from thin cuts with no fat which should be cooked in sauce, to stewing steak to sirloin, striploin and t bone. I want to know where on the cow that cut is coming from before I cook it, and if I have a choice I wouldn't mind knowing what that big fcker has been eating (grass or feedlot). Ideally, depending on the cut, I'd like to know it has been hung for a few weeks.

"Steak" in it's multi use form only allows people to rob you blind for cheap cuts of meat which they slather in salty or spicey sauce to hide the quality of the meat. No problem with that so long as it priced accordingly.

You want a good think sirloin, plent of fat on one side, nice marbling inside, preferably 21 days hung. Nothing in the pan, just rub the fat of the meat against the pan before it's cooked. You need a really heavy set skillet, not a thin airy fairy frying pan if you can help it.

Throw a bit of salt on it, let it sit out to room temp, get the pan good an hot. 2 and a half mins each side. No sauce, no pepper, just taste the quality of that mighty beast. Douse your gob with a a good sturdy wine.

For a change ask your butcher to give you a big lump of rump cap or top sirloin.Chop it into fairly wide slices, score the fat, get her salted and peppered, lash on whatever other spices you fancy with meat and get it skewered up. Don't skewer it like your traditonal square cuts, you want big long strips you can bend (fat on the outside) and skewer in kind of a C shape. Get that over the bbq, coals only, red hot...no smoke no flame. Happiness will prevail. The wider end of the top sirloin will be a bit tougher, towards the tail (it's the whack of meat that runs up to the tail on the cow) is unbelievably good.

Don't get me started on short cut beef ribs on the bbq.

Fck right off with your "steak"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

I think Fillet steak is the most expensive cut but what is the cheapest and how would you cook it ? I think slow is good but could be wrong ? what could you get for 5 euro ? Sirloin, Round ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I like my steak to be well done (although I have accepted medium to well in the past).

It amazes me the amount of people here who think/assume/say that well-done means cremate the steak. Well done steak is steak that is cooked all the way through which DOES NOT mean burning it! Any chef / cook who burns a steak that was ordered well done really has no clue what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Whats it called over here?
    Many thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

According to the picture posted earlier, I like my steak medium. I find the texture isn't as appealing any rarer.
    I really must eat steak more often...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ah no, That's animal abuse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I like it rare, medium, well, depends on the cut.

Unfortunately my stomach has deemed that more than a little amount of rare is not a good thing and the old mildly irritable bowel flares a bit so I more often go for medium.

Can't stomach a lot of red meat, only have steak 3 or 4 times a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

finix wrote: »
    I think Fillet steak is the most expensive cut but what is the cheapest and how would you cook it ? I think slow is good but could be wrong ? what could you get for 5 euro ? Sirloin, Round ?

Im very fond of beef cheek but its not a steak cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I am pie wrote: »
    Throw a bit of salt on it, let it sit out to room temp, get the pan good an hot. 2 and a half mins each side. No sauce, no pepper, just taste the quality of that mighty beast. Douse your gob with a a good sturdy wine.

Room temp first, salt just before frying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Patww79 wrote: »

Fresh crusty bread, mmmmmm! And maybe a few chunky chips on the side if we're being particularly decadent :)

Advertisement