Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

At home: 0
    Bernaise sauce. (made with my amazing boards.ie discovery - http://ruhlman.com/2011/08/easy-bearnaise-sauce-recipe )
    Spinach/rocket salad with balsamic dressing OR wilted spinach.
    Fries optional - either shoestring or sweet potato.

Out:
    Onion rings - but only the super thin ones like in Shanahans. Don't like the chunky ones.
    Any fancy veg side that the restaurant might have.

Sometimes I will have paris butter or chimichurri, depending on where I am. But 80% of the time, it's bernaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

fiddlechic wrote: »
    At home:
    Bernaise sauce. (made with my amazing boards.ie discovery - http://ruhlman.com/2011/08/easy-bearnaise-sauce-recipe/)

I like Bearnaise. I can't make it though and your link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I like Bearnaise. I can't make it though and your link doesn't work.

Should work now!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Steak, juices from the pan, a few slices of white bread & slices of raw onion. A bit of each on every forkful - magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I like mine very rare and prefer to cook it myself at home! Generous inch thick, good layer of fat on the side and well hung. Salt, pepper, garlic and rubbed all over with a few drops of Lea and Perrins then about 2 mins standing on its side on the fat on a dry, hot, cast iron pan until the fat has rendered and developed a nice brown colour. Then sear in its own fat for about 2 mins on each side and that's it. I like a baked potato with it, properly baked in the oven with a lovely oiled, crispy skin - chives, butter AND sour cream.:o

I'm probably wrong on all fronts but it tastes very good when cooked in its own fat, rather than oil. Just my choice, for what it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

janmaree wrote: »
    I'm probably wrong on all fronts but it tastes very good when cooked in its own fat, rather than oil. Just my choice, for what it's worth.

If you're wrong here so am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

For steak lovers like myself I'd suggest checking out sous vide cooking. You just whack the steak seasoned into a freezer bag, vacumn pack it and then cook it in a water bath at a temperature according to your preference, eg for rare (50 degrees), medium rare (55 degrees), etc. Because you control the temperature precisely the steak is always done to perfection.

It is also a good bit more flavoursome than frying alone- steak meat only needs to reach 55 degrees to get to medium rare but in order to achieve that with a frying pan you've got to put your tender meat into a temperature of 250 degrees and above. What in effect youre doing is sending the flavour up in smoke and cooking a good bit of flavour out of the meat as you fry it in temperatures far hotter than it's cooked temperatureWhereas with sous vide you're only ever bringing the temperature up to the desired level and never heating tender meat in the excessive temperatures that frying calls for.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Joseph291987

I like medium rare,but dont order it much as I personally think steak is hugely overated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ms Pejorative

duploelabs wrote: »
    If someone says to you that it's blood coming from their steak (or whatever meat) then disregard any other food knowledge that's uttered from their mouths, this also applies to oil in boiling water for pasta and cream in a carbonara

Ah, I don't know about that.

I wouldn't say someone who talks about bloody steak knows nothing about food. Bit silly to suggest that.

And re: the oil in pasta water thing. In a normal saucepan, yeah, there's no point.

But I believe the idea behind putting oil in the water is that you use a pasta pot* and when you lift the strainer part out the oil coats the pasta as the water moves through the bottom of the pot.

* One of these yokes:
    zuh110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I like blue steak, preferably flame grilled, but non flame grilled is fine as well. Very rarely, I'll have peppercorn sauce and onions with it, but usually I just like the plain steak and feel adding anything to it ruins the flavor. Usually I'll have it with a side of brown rice, but I feel the best side for it is chips with peppercorn sauce on the side for dipping them. There's a place in the Epicurean Food Hall in Dublin, Brazillian Fusion Grill, flame grilled sirloin steak with a side of chips, rice, salad and peppercorn sauce for a tenner. Big portion too. One of the best steaks I've ever tasted as well, definitely the best value for money, the only down side is the cheap atmosphere, but for the price, that doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

When I cook mine at home, I like to get a nice big piece that fills the plate and put the spuds and veg in a bowl beside the plate and the sauce in a seperate bowl too. If I have mushrooms or onions, they will go on with the steak but other than that, it gets its own plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Speaking of steak, Lidl have 2 Inisvale striploins for 5.99 this week instead of the usual 8.99. Got a pack yesterday evening and had steak and salad last night. Cooked medium rare. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Read this thread back and Thank you for proving my point.
    Ah, I don't know about that.

I wouldn't say someone who talks about bloody steak knows nothing about food. Bit silly to suggest that.

And re: the oil in pasta water thing. In a normal saucepan, yeah, there's no point.

But I believe the idea behind putting oil in the water is that you use a pasta pot* and when you lift the strainer part out the oil coats the pasta as the water moves through the bottom of the pot.

* One of these yokes:
    zuh110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While chips or some form of fried spuds are great (rosti, in particular) I do love the summer time evening meal of steamed new potatoes, steak and a simple green salad with homemade dressing. Obligatory glass of red, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't like red wine - never could get used to the tartness of even the sweetest ones.

Is there such a thing as a white to go with steak?

Personally I prefer beer. Flame seared blue steak, chips and beer, what's not to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

You should try a study red with a good tannin structure, something like a chianti, first. Then take a bite of your steak and notice how those tannins change due to the proteins in the steak and the flavour will be considerably different
    I don't like red wine - never could get used to the tartness of even the sweetest ones.

Is there such a thing as a white to go with steak?

Personally I prefer beer. Flame seared blue steak, chips and beer, what's not to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ms Pejorative

Read this thread back and Thank you for proving my point.

So, do tell, what's your food knowledge pedigree? I expect you'll have no problem telling me, being such an expert.
    Melendez wrote: »

Nail, meet hammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I like my steak rare, with fried onions and mushrooms and some Lee & Perrin's glugged over the steak.

Cooking steak anything past medium is a waste of good steak. Ask your butcher and he'll tell you as much.

• Advertisement

So, do tell, what's your food knowledge pedigree? I expect you'll have no problem telling me, being such an expert.
    well I'm excutive chef in two restaurants and head chef in another. I write menus and protocol for worldwide corporation with institutions in 7 different countries. I have had two books published and am nearly finished my third. I've worked to a michelin star level and have worked as a personal chef to members of the british royal family and the diplomatic corp as well as some other high-profile dignitaries. I give lectures to corporate and educational institutions on food ethic and providence and I am also studying on my M.Sc in food science.
    So yeah, I know fcuk all

You do make a good point, there but this sort of incorrect terminology feeds into the kind of squeamishness that some people have regarding the cooking of meat. Some people refuse to eat anything other than very well done meat because they think it is blood. This misinformation leads to people not fully experiencing food for all the wrong reasons.
    So yes, when you say "bloody" referring to a steak everyone will know you mean rare but many people will also think it has blood dripping from it.

I see no need to be talking about myoglobin at all. Just call a steak blue/rare/med rare/med/well done/ruined. why do we need to use the term bloody? It is incorrect and imprecise in that does it refer to blue/rare/med rare ???

well I'm excutive chef in two restaurants and head chef in another. I write menus and protocol for worldwide corporation with institutions in 7 different countries. I have had two books published and am nearly finished my third. I've worked to a michelin star level and have worked as a personal chef to members of the british royal family and the diplomatic corp as well as some other high-profile dignitaries. I give lectures to corporate and educational institutions on food ethic and providence and I am also studying on my M.Sc in food science.
    So yeah, I know fcuk all

Together, these are the funniest posts I've read here in a long time. How I would love to see Ms Pejorative's face when she read duploelabs post.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

required reading in that case
    temp-test.png

required reading in that case
    temp-test.png

Or cheek, nose, chin, forehead? That's what I tend to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I love a good rib eye, medium rare, with sauteed onion and mushrooms, and a fried egg over easy on top.
    Sauce occasionally preferred.

I love an Angus rib-eye medium-rare, or a single rib seared, hot oven and rested to about the same. Fillet is a bit meh whatever way it's cooked but T-bone can be fab - I don't know why - perhaps the fat improves the flavour of the fillet-bit.

Shin - now that's a neglected cut. I'd take it over an anonymous fillet any day.

Together, these are the funniest posts I've read here in a long time. How I would love to see Ms Pejorative's face when she read duploelabs post.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

well her account is now closed :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You should try a study red with a good tannin structure, something like a chianti, first. Then take a bite of your steak and notice how those tannins change due to the proteins in the steak and the flavour will be considerably different

I've read your qualifications, and while impressive, fair play to you, I hope you don't usually ignore customer requests like you've just ignored my post.

I. Don't. Like. Red. Wine.

It's actually the tannins I don't like, the astringency of them in particular. Same way I don't like tea made with squeezed teabags, disgusting, or very dry cider.

So, recommending a chianti is falling on deaf ears, you aren't the first and obviously won't be the last to try to recommend a red wine, when I've specifically requested a white.

Advertisement