Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Maybe he doesn't WANT it to compare to the real thing?? maybe he used it to fly loops in an A380?? Maybe he used it to unwind? maybe he used it to teach other simmers how to fly properly?

I don't find it strange. People get their kicks in their down time in a whole bunch of different ways. Some watch telly, some read books, some play with flight sims.

I'm not too bothered if you dont find it strange really. I can see now why none of the regular aviation forum regulars are on this thread. Waste of time giving an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

sully2010 wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered if you dont find it strange really. I can see now why none of the regular aviation forum regulars are on this thread. Waste of time giving an opinion.

I'm an A&A regular. As for a waste of time giving an opinion you must be a rightly delicate little flower if someone having a differing opinion means that you feel you wasted your time

I'm an A&A regular. As for a waste of time giving an opinion you must be a rightly delicate little flower if someone having a differing opinion means that you feel you wasted your time

Cool ye;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

jasonb wrote: »
    Looking at Google Maps and some quick calculations shows the landing strip on Coco Island isn't big enough for a 777 to land on...

J.

In the absence of any real evidence I still like the theory, which is aking to an updated version of my old idea back in post#1484

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89411483&postcount=1484

However, my new favourite theory revolves around the Indian Ocean 'seismic' theory as posted above in #2479.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

LordSutch wrote: »
    In the absence of any real evidence I still like the theory, which is aking to an updated version of my old idea back in post#1484

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89411483&postcount=1484

However, my new favourite theory revolves around the Indian Ocean 'seismic' theory as posted above in #2479.

The problem really for me, would be what would a hijackers motive be? How are they going to get off the ground again and re-use the plane, without access to fuel etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Just seen the pictures of the two Iranians again on sky. The photoshopping of the legs is very strange looking as someone else previously posted. Whats all that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

I am beginning to discount the Terrorist theory... the plane has been gone almost a week now.... Interpol and various other crime agencies would have been all over the passenger manifest several times by now.

All they came up with where two men holding stolen passports attempting to seek a better life elsewhere.

In addition if a terrorist organization was responsible... usually there is an announcement, if a kidnapping.. I would have thought the plane would have landed and then demands made for x million dollars etc.

The theory of the plane suffering some sort of catastrophic malfunction also does not seem to make sense.. as the plane is not where is it supposed to be, and why where the transponders and other data link hardware switched off with a time difference of 14 minutes. Seems very peculiar.

I am beginning to suspect one of the pilots... but again where both pilots in on it...or could all this "cloak and dagger radar avoidance flying" been carried out by just one pilot?

Leaving aside the hypothetical theories... my own confidence in Global Aviation is shaken.

It has been admitted by one of the posters on here that Primary Radar is rather primitive, it can pick up all sorts of junk, waves, ships, scatter, and all it takes is for some rogue person to pull a few fuses or flick a few switches on board.... and hey presto...effectively your plane disappears along with 200 or 300 odd passengers.

If it is true that all this happened... switch off transponders, fly west, fly from way point to way point in a zig zag fashion... seems more the work of a mad man than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

sopretty wrote: »
    The problem really for me, would be what would a hijackers motive be? How are they going to get off the ground again and re-use the plane, without access to fuel etc.?
    To be honest sopretty...I think that if they have pulled off a hijack of this magnitude that seems to have baffled aviatian experts and everybody else around the world they have fuel lined up somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If it was a hijacking then one can assume that those involved did not know how to fly the jet. I would think that all the passengers were checked out in great detail, and that if they had took lessons on how to fly someone would know.
    So maybe it was hijacked and the pilot was instructed to turn off all transponders and told to head to a certain location, a target ? So maybe pilot decided to weigh up his options, fly to their requested location, lets say for example '' Petronas Towers'' or pretend to be flying there but instead brought plane clear of people on the ground ,tricked his hijackers and flew it out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

If the plane was flying low over mainland Malaysia, wouldn't plenty of passengers' mobile phone pick up enough signal to make calls / send SMS to alert?

Also is it really possible to fly a big yoke like 777 over a country so low that it won't get picked up by radar? It's not exactly an agile F-16!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 'may have been deliberately flown west'
    Military radar-trafficking evidence now suggests flight MH370 may have been hijacked or sabotaged"
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/14/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-may-deliberately-flown-west-hijacked

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    If the plane was flying low over mainland Malaysia, wouldn't plenty of passengers' mobile phone pick up enough signal to make calls / send SMS to alert?

Also is it really possible to fly a big yoke like 777 over a country so low that it won't get picked up by radar? It's not exactly an agile F-16!

it was dark and at night, most of the passengers were likely to be asleep and totally unaware the plane was flying off course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

GEO147 wrote: »
    Just seen the pictures of the two Iranians again on sky. The photoshopping of the legs is very strange looking as someone else previously posted. Whats all that about?

According to the Malaysians they had a full length photo of one guy and a half length of the other one. When someone photocopied them they just left the longer photo behind the shorter one so the legs on the longer one were reproduced on both. I guess no one had enough expertise in basic image editing like cropping :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    "Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 'may have been deliberately flown west'
    Military radar-trafficking evidence now suggests flight MH370 may have been hijacked or sabotaged"
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/14/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-may-deliberately-flown-west-hijacked

As if this wasn't bizarre enough ! If true, they'll be making movies out of it for decades to come !!!

I can't help thinking that it really is as simple as crashing close to where the Chinese suggest it may be (and that oil rig worker who allegedly saw it). This zig-zagging before heading for the Andaman Islands is like that magic bullet that shot Kennedy ! Either way, the Americans will be proven right, or the Chinese will be, and major egg on someone's face.

All we know for certain is that the Malaysians should have put their hand up at the start and let professionals lead this search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Cool ye;)

Why bother coming in to the thread at all? There's enough people derailing without adding one more.

I've been trying to follow this thread since the weekend and I've only posted once but I must say I'm finding it hard to keep sifting through sh1t. This is one of the most fascinating situations I've ever seen and there's enough people giving good info about stuff that I haven't a clue about to keep this thread alive. I'm sure there's a lot of posters like me who are silently following this but, as I said, its getting irritating now.

Before I started reading about this topic I had a fear of flying but now I'm finding myself watching more and more videos of planes on youtube and now I want to download a flight sim! Sorry for taking this thread off topic further, but I just had to rant about it.

More info about the story please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

If what has been coming out is even partially true it looks like a hijacking :( . I really hope the passengers are found safe as unlikely as it is at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Well it seems now that the plane was flying for 4/5 hours after last contact so I think we can rule out the plane crashing immediately, after contact and communications were lost. If the plane had crashed around that spot the pings would not have been received. After that we can only guess.
    However, given the way this whole thing has gone I wouldn't be surprised to wake up tomorrow to hear another version of what happened and things going a different direction again.
    I think a lot of people will be asking questions about the delay in all information out there being brought forward.
    Also the Malaysians have to answer questions re their response to the blips on their radar and what response they would normally take in a situation like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder was any of pilots having mental problems? Could one.of the pilots leave the cockpit and the other take control?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

washington post describing the satellite data also saying the plane could have reached have reached as far as iraq (for e.g.) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/14/heres-how-we-know-mh-370-kept-flying-for-hours/

although their front page graphic is probably more relevent to this flight http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=DC_WP&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Its not circumstantial its fact he has a full scale home simulator.

Never alluded to any madcap plan, just said it was strange that a 53 year old 777 captain had one in his home.

We know he has a simulator in his home. The conspiracy is the way you are mentioning it in this thread, implying in some way its associated with the disappearance of the plane when you have no other evidence to support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭robbieVan

RE: the captain having a simulator in his home

If you have seen anything else on his website and channel he seems to be a bit of a technology nerd, likes fixing and building things so I think that is the main reason why he'd have a simulator, likes the putting together of it all and showing it off on the FSX forums he was a part of etc

I really don't think him having it would help his goal if he wanted to fly it off course or into the water

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

There has been a few yellow cards issued on thread. Im still sifting through the reported posts so please stick with us.

As its friday cheer up lads stay on topic and not drag it down.

Remember attack the post not the poster.

Report the post not argue with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I have a question

If the plane was hijacked and then ran out of fuel, would the engines just cut out like on a car so it crashed into the ocean or could a spark ignite the fumes in the empty tanks?

How far could the plane have flown on the amount of fuel that it was carrying?

Edited to add is it possible to glide a large plane with no fuel so that it can land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

I have a question

If the plane was hijacked and then ran out of fuel, would the engines just cut out like on a car so it crashed into the ocean or could a spark ignite the fumes in the empty tanks?

4.5 - 5 hours from last confirmed known location, so Pakistan to Pilbara region of Oz circumference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

MuffinsDa wrote: »

Flying 500mph at high altitude its doubtful if a phone could connect to a network long enough, or even if it could, with signal strenght good enough to make a call. Having said that though, i wonder would it be worth checking a list of passengers mobile numbers with mobile networks in the region, on the off-chance that a passengers phone had successfully connected to a cell, even if only for a second or two. If a number showed up as connecting to a cell at a particular location/time it would help narrow the search a fraction, or at the very least, prove that the plane was still in the air at that point. Probably a mute point anyway. If it was worth doing its probably been done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

It has been done already.

As for the rest of it. I am dumbfounded and can't even begin to speculate anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

From avherald.com.....

"During the press conference in the afternoon of Mar 14th 2014 Malaysia's Transport Minister provided more details about the primary radar observation stating, the target was first picked up at waypoint IGARI at FL350 (editorial note: waypoint IGARI nearly conincides with the last secondary radar position of MH-370) at 01:21L moving towards waypoint VAMPI, then waypoint GIVAL and finally turning northwest towards waypoint IGREX. The target was lost at FL295 after GIVAL at 02:15L."

The most noticeable thing to me is the fact that the target was at FL295.
    Flying 500 feet off standard levels is the procedure when diverting through most track systems when not in receipt of an ATC clearance.

relaxed wrote: »
    We know he has a simulator in his home. The conspiracy is the way you are mentioning it in this thread, implying in some way its associated with the disappearance of the plane when you have no other evidence to support it.

Of course I have no evidence, nobody does but everyone has an opinion and yes I am beginning to suspect one or possibly both of the pilots may have had something to do with it because:

If it was a mid air explosion/decompression wreckage would have been found in areas they have searched already on or near their flightpath.

If they turned back towards KL with an emergency and crashed on the way wreckage would have been found.

If it was terrorism there would have been demands by now for whatever it was they were after.

I'm not going to speculate what the pilots may have done but there has been several incidents in the past on commercial airliners with suicides and mental breakdowns of pilots so I wouldn't exactly call what has already happened in the past some kind of conspiracy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I have a question

Edited to add is it possible to glide a large plane with no fuel so that it can land

At a guess it could probably glide for about 100 miles, assuming cruise speed, 35,000ft and a glide ration of 17:1.

Certainly open to correction on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Routine, automated signals were registered on the Inmarsat network from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Inmarsat confirms it received "routine, automated signals" from missing airliner, though it does not specify when.

Immarsat Statement.
    Inmarsat statement on Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

14 March 2014: Inmarsat has issued the following statement regarding Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Routine, automated signals were registered on the Inmarsat network from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 during its flight from Kuala Lumpur.

This information was provided to our partner SITA, which in turn has shared it with Malaysia Airlines.

For further information, please contact Malaysia Airlines.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsat-statement-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/#mkl

Advertisement