Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tang,

FYP, your photos are making my stuff look shoddy :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tang,

FYP, your photos are making my stuff look shoddy :)

TbL

Your the king when it comes to the photos TbL, such a nice day i brought the phone to take a few photos.

The canal is a great route for a run but I've never been on that section, looked like a great day for it.

TbL

The canal is a great route for a run but I've never been on that section, looked like a great day for it.

TbL

It'll be something i'll be making more use of for sure, the surface thankfully i've met so far on it is all runnable. It beats the monotony of the road. It was glorious day my way alright.

Monday 21st April '14

4miles 36min 58sec(9.14min/mile)

Done this before work, it was a glorious morning for a run. Run wise everything feeling good, the niggles i experienced a month or so ago appear to have ironed themselves out thankfully. Spent the afternoon directing traffic at Fairyhouse for the Grand National, serious crowd there which was great to see.

Today

5.05miles 45min 28sec(9.00min/mile)

Man it was warm in the Royal county today, i normally sweat heavily while running but today was like i showered mid run and never dried myself. Not complaining long may the weather last. Knee bit creaky today after the run, iced it through the afternoon to be safe, feels ok now.

WTD-9.05miles
    MTD-57.95miles
    YTD-153.96miles

• Advertisement

Friday 25th April '14

4.5miles 40min 53secs(9.05min/miles)

A meh run, nothing really to report from it.

Today

7.5miles 68min 44sec(9.10min/mile)

My LSR for the week, out at 4.30pm this afternoon for this in the worst of this 'heat' thing we're experiencing at the minute. Couldn't get out earlier as the Boss is studying at the minute and i was taking care of the wee lad.Had enough salt on my face when i finished to keep a chipper going for an evening!! The PF is back in my right foot to, been rolling the sole with a tennis ball 3 times a day for past week and it seems to be helping it. Running wise, the legs are good and the breathing is strong to. Will be running tomorrow & Tuesday as i'm working nights next weekend and want to get my LSR done before that.

Song of the week - Joy Division "Love will tear us apart"

WTD-21.05miles
    MTD-69.95miles
    YTD-165.96miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

tang1 wrote: »
    Friday 25th April '14

4.5miles 40min 53secs(9.05min/miles)

A meh run, nothing really to report from it.

Today

7.5miles 68min 44sec(9.10min/mile)

My LSR for the week, out at 4.30pm this afternoon for this in the worst of this 'heat' thing we're experiencing at the minute. Couldn't get out earlier as the Boss is studying at the minute and i was taking care of the wee lad.Had enough salt on my face when i finished to keep a chipper going for an evening!! The PF is back in my right foot to, been rolling the sole with a tennis ball 3 times a day for past week and it seems to be helping it. Running wise, the legs are good and the breathing is strong to. Will be running tomorrow & Tuesday as i'm working nights next weekend and want to get my LSR done before that.

Song of the week - Joy Division "Love will tear us apart"

WTD-21.05miles
    MTD-69.95miles
    YTD-165.96miles

A top choice for song of week !!

I think the salt supply to chippers was trebled with the heat today.

Tang,

1. Try putting a golf ball in the freezer for a couple of hours and use it instead of the tennis ball, I found it much better.

2. Try Joy Divisions, "No Love Lost" from the album Warsaw, I found it much better :)

TbL

Tang,

1. Try putting a golf ball in the freezer for a couple of hours and use it instead of the tennis ball, I found it much better.

2. Try Joy Divisions, "No Love Lost" from the album Warsaw, I found it much better :)

TbL

Cant hack the golf ball, tried it already & just cant cope with the pain(big blouse i know).

Monday 28th April '14

3.5miles 33min 03sec(9.27min/mile)

Recovery run & hungover run, glad i did it though cleared the head. Wore the new runners doing this and although there a bit heavier than what i've been used to for the past while, but they felt good and really bouncy which i like. Weighed myself and i'm the right side of 14stone for the first time in a long time which i'm happy with.

Today

38km spin on the bike around Enfield, Johnstownbridge, Donadea, Newtown and back home. Theres a climb at Newtown for about 2km which was a nice lung buster, its ever so gradual and tests the legs. My barse is killing me though now, only my second time out this year. Met 7 cyclists while i was out, put my hand up and said hello to every one. Not one hello or hand up back, runners are far more friendly.

WTD-3.5miles
    MTD-73.45miles
    YTD-168.46miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Yeah but you had that look that your profession has............you know the one.

Today

6.05miles(including 5 x 160metre strides) 50min 59sec(8.26min/mile)

I was apprehensive to be honest before doing this this evening, last time my legs have ran at any kind of speed was nearly 12 months ago. I was nervous about how the knee would hold up doing them. Last year i would have done strides at 5k pace, i haven't a rashers what my current 5k pace is so i set out and told myself to run them at between 80-90% of current effort.

Chose as flat a route as i can where i live to run them, first few felt strange to be honest, but as i got through them they felt good. No discomfort in the knee thankfully either. Looked at the watch on the last one which i pushed the hardest and seen the pace on the Garmin at 7.0x pace. Long time since i seen that!!

WTD- 9.55miles
    MTD-79.50miles
    YTD-174.51miles

Yeah but you had that look that your profession has............you know the one.

Suppose we are an unfriendly looking shower. Didn't help that i stopped each cyclist and checked the thread depth on there tyres either.

Yesterday

5miles 40min 22sec(8.04min/mile)

Was in a rush to get this done so the pace is faster than it should, truth be told it was comfortable and easy. Wont get the mileage done that i wanted to this week, but 4 runs and a near 40k cycle is progress in the right direction. Get 4miles done later at stupid o clock on the treadmill in work.

WTD-14.55miles
    MTD-5miles
    YTD-179.41miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Looks like the mojo is well and truly on the way back tang! Great running lately.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Looks like the mojo is well and truly on the way back tang! Great running lately.

Cheers Ososlo, things are improving alright. Still bit apprehensive about the knee, dont know how it will hold up under a sustained period of fast running.

Cheers Ososlo, things are improving alright. Still bit apprehensive about the knee, dont know how it will hold up under a sustained period of fast running.

Easy does it so... plenty of recovery paced running between the faster efforts. Must be hard for someone like yourself who's naturally faster having to hold back on the pace all the time because of the knee worries. I'd be grand just plodding along like :rolleyes: but I can see how you must get frustrated not being able to run at your naturally faster pace. Seems like you're managing it well though.

Easy does it so... plenty of recovery paced running between the faster efforts. Must be hard for someone like yourself who's naturally faster having to hold back on the pace all the time because of the knee worries. I'd be grand just plodding along like :rolleyes: but I can see how you must get frustrated not being able to run at your naturally faster pace. Seems like you're managing it well though.

Dont know about naturally fast bit, quicker than some maybe. I know running at slower paces will stand to me in the long run, it'll strengthen the knee up for me.

It aint frustrating in the slightest, no more than yourself i love running and being able to do it again is brilliant. The 9 months or so out was the frustrating bit. Your more than a plodder to, i read your log!!

Dont know about naturally fast bit, quicker than some maybe. I know running at slower paces will stand to me in the long run, it'll strengthen the knee up for me.

It aint frustrating in the slightest, no more than yourself i love running and being able to do it again is brilliant. The 9 months or so out was the frustrating bit. Your more than a plodder to, i read your log!!

Exactly :D
    Thanks about the other bit. Getting there.... slowly... but do plod a lot of the time but I guess one has to plod a lot to be able to do the faster stuff when required.

Today

6miles 52min 40sec(8.46min/mile)

No 4mile run last nite, from minute i got in last night at 9pm till i left this morning at 7am i never got one second to spare. Crazy night work wise, to be honest felt tired running today. I only average 3-4 hrs sleep when working nights so that doesn't help energy wise really.

May Goals:
    1. Increase mileage up to 30miles a week range.
    2. Run and complete Maynooth 10km.

Should be do-able to be honest, ain't making lofty goals yet cause i know i wont achieve them.

WTD-6miles
    MTD-11miles
    YTD-185.41miles

• Advertisement

Hey tang
    just to let you know that Kilbride is definitely chip timed. I got an email about it today.

Hey tang
    just to let you know that Kilbride is definitely chip timed. I got an email about it today.

Cheers for that, excellent job with the mentoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just catching up here... Looks like we are on par at the moment! Big milestone for me is to get over 20 miles! Keep plugging away!

blockic wrote: »
    Just catching up here... Looks like we are on par at the moment! Big milestone for me is to get over 20 miles! Keep plugging away!

Cheers J, hope things are going well in Chicago for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi tang, just found your log - glad things are holding up and that you've slowed down a good bit after C_M mentioned it. Best of luck with the preps for the race. Easy does it now!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi tang, just found your log - glad things are holding up and that you've slowed down a good bit after C_M mentioned it. Best of luck with the preps for the race. Easy does it now!

Cheers Murph_D, shes a rock of sense is career_move, fair play to her. Best of luck with Terenure & Berlin long-term.

Tuesday 6th May '14

5.10miles 46min 06sec(9.03min/mile)

Easy paced run, just keeping the legs ticking over. Knee feeling stronger with every run.

Thursday 8th May '14

28.06km on the bike in 60mins, had only an hour to get out on the bike before picking tang1 junior up from playschool. Pushed this hard, quads could feel it after.

Friday 9th May '14

6.05miles 54min 37sec(9.02min/mile)

Legs tired and felt the previous days cycle, kept the pace easy again as a result. Right hammer felt a little tight & niggly.

Today

5.10miles(including 5 x 160metre strides) 41min 35sec(8.10min/mile)

Wanted to try something kind of fast before the Maynooth 10k next Sunday so decided i'd incorporate some strides into todays run. Again i ran these on feel and just checked the pace on the watch at the end of each one, they worked out as follows:

1. 160m @ 5.59min/mile avg
    2. 160m @ 6.02min/mile avg
    3. 160m @ 5.56min/mile avg
    4. 160m @ 6.03min/mile avg
    5. 160m @ 5.54min/mile avg

Happy with how these went and the good thing is the knee didn't react in anyway towards them. Maybe bit on the fast side some of them as i said i ran them by feel and only checked the watch when i was near completing them. Nervous as fook about the 10k next week if i'm honest!!

Song of the week - The Who - 'Real Good Looking Boy'

WTD-22.25miles
    MTD-27.25miles
    YTD-201.66miles

Have you a target time in mind for Maynooth tang?

Have you a target time in mind for Maynooth tang?

Have sub 50 mins in my head, but in all honesty i have zero speed work in the legs and i dont know how long they will hold up under 6.2miles of hard running. I could well be kidding myself even considering that time. Lets say dream result is breaking 50mins.

• Advertisement

Have sub 50 mins in my head, but in all honesty i have zero speed work in the legs and i dont know how long they will hold up under 6.2miles of hard running. I could well be kidding myself even considering that time. Lets say dream result is breaking 50mins.

Great stuff. Really hope you get that result. It'll be a good test anyways to see where you stand.

Advertisement