Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I give more? The answer is usually yes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Late to the party...only stumbled upon this now. Good to see you back in the game tang. Best of luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

upthe19th wrote: »
    Late to the party...only stumbled upon this now. Good to see you back in the game tang. Best of luck with it all.

Cheers, hope things are good with you, any golf lately?

tang1 wrote: »
    Cheers, hope things are good with you, any golf lately?

Not too bad. 2 rounds in last 15 months and zero interest. It was the plan but I got into the cycling and it snowballed. You were right when you said it was just as addictive.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Not too bad. 2 rounds in last 15 months and zero interest. It was the plan but I got into the cycling and it snowballed. You were right when you said it was just as addictive.

Same as myself so, golf is on back burner, cycling is very addictive alright. Certain career_move is dabbling in it to. She just needs the wetsuit now!!!

Same as myself so, golf is on back burner, cycling is very addictive alright. Certain career_move is dabbling in it to. She just needs the wetsuit now!!!

Ah the golf will still be there in 10 years or so. Noticed that CM had dipped the toes in alright. Can't see it staying casual though...that girl was born to race:).

• Advertisement

3.19 miles 29min 15sec @9.11 min/miles.

Following on from reading Gavlors log last night and the talk of relaxing while running, i tried putting it into motion. I tried running more. freely and not as tensed up as i knew i had been, result no tightness in the hips and knee felt best its been since starting back. Gavlor you genius!!! I probably have been bit tense since the knee operations in guarding the knee which probably explains the tension while running and tight hips. All is good today.

Song of the week - Chase + Status "Blk + Blu".

WTD 12.23
    MTD 34.23
    YTD 67.23

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

3.19 miles 29min 15sec @9.11 min/miles.

Following on from reading Gavlors log last night and the talk of relaxing while running, i tried putting it into motion. I tried running more. freely and not as tensed up as i knew i had been, result no tightness in the hips and knee felt best its been since starting back. Gavlor you genius!!! I probably have been bit tense since the knee operations in guarding the knee which probably explains the tension while running and tight hips. All is good today.

Song of the week - Chase + Status "Blk + Blu".

WTD 12.23
    MTD 34.23
    YTD 67.23

I've taken a screen shot of this. I'm now officially a coach and a real person thinks I'm a genius!! (you are real, right?)

Gavlor wrote: »
    I've taken a screen shot of this. I'm now officially a coach and a real person thinks I'm a genius!! (you are real, right?)

If i hadn't read your log last night i would have went out running today looking like i had a poker lodged in my hoop, so credit to you on the whole relax thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus Tang, at least thank him in private. Can't be having all this good will amongst us :)

3.12miles 28min 47sec(9.17min/miles)

Another solid run this evening, again stayed relaxed as i could which resulted in no shuffling or hip pain. Stride length felt longer & legs are starting to get used to the road again. Had an empty Budweiser bottle thrown at me as i finished up by a group of local yobos, lets just say they were dealt with accordingly!

WTD-15.35miles
    MTD-37.35miles
    YTD-70.35miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

What did you do throw it back at them?

What did you do throw it back at them?

Not when the bottle was in a million pieces at my feet, €80 fine for littering is on there way to each of them. Most expensive bottle of Bud they will ever drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Not when the bottle was in a million pieces at my feet, €80 fine for littering is on there way to each of them. Most expensive bottle of Bud they will ever drink.

Ha ha...deadly. One of the perks of your job being able to deal out justice like that ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Love it tang.

Did they know at the time what your job was (in that was that why they lobbed it) or did they only realise after. I'd have loved to see reality dawning on them.

Edit: should have hit them with a full €150 fine !

They didn't know at the time, both weren't long about sobering up a small bit when i told them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Deirdree loves Rashid

They didn't know at the time, both weren't long about sobering up a small bit when i told them though.

Didn't know you can do that when you're not on duty...assuming you wern't!

*Though I agree they deserved that or a slap.

Didn't know you can do that when you're not on duty...assuming you wern't!

*Though I agree they deserved that or a slap.

I'll stay silent on that one, don't want to upset some people. Confidence in the job i work is bad enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Forget robocop..... Meet Tang, he spent all his time on the road, hammering asphalt and after having a bionic knee replacement he dedicated his life to running around the mean streets of Ireland catching badguys and hitting them with littering fines :cool:

Gavlor wrote: »
    Forget robocop..... Meet Tang, he spent all his time on the road, hammering asphalt and after having a bionic knee replacement he dedicated his life to running around the mean streets of Ireland catching badguys and hitting them with littering fines :cool:

I'll take that as a compliment, i think.

5.05miles 44mins(8.43min/miles)

Boring run, half way with the wind, half against. Fair play to those who have trained all winter in the wind that was around. My first run in any kind of wind this year & it was tough going against it. Have entered the Maynooth 10k on 18th of May to have a goal to aim for. Goal being get to start line, get through the race in one piece and progress from there.

WTD-5.05miles
    MTD- 42.40miles
    YTD-75.40miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

5.05miles 44mins(8.43min/miles)

Boring run, half way with the wind, half against. Fair play to those who have trained all winter in the wind that was around. My first run in any kind of wind this year & it was tough going against it. Have entered the Maynooth 10k on 18th of May to have a goal to aim for. Goal being get to start line, get through the race in one piece and progress from there.

WTD-5.05miles
    MTD- 42.40miles
    YTD-75.40miles

Hmmm a 10k on a Sunday. This would really suit me. Must check it out.

Hmmm a 10k on a Sunday. This would really suit me. Must check it out.

AMK done it last year PM and said it was a decent race, something like 800 done it. Knowing Maynooth a bit and looking at the route on the website its a flat a 10k as you'll find. €20 entry isn't bad either.

No running since Monday, tang junior has a bad virus since Tuesday morning. Vomiting, tempreture and rash on his body. Not been himself at all. Hopefully get out tomorrow & Saturday. On another note, entered the Athlone Half in September. I've entered this the past 2 years since it started, but due to injury have yet to make it to the start line. Determined this year more than ever to put that right, its kind of my home race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Third time lucky ;)

29th March '14

3.5miles 32min 09sec (9.12min/mile)

In a rush to do this and as a result didnt really enjoy it to be honest, just a MEH run all over and nothing really to report from it.

30th March '14

7.01miles 63min 41sec (9.06min/mile)

Felt like c_m after this 7 miles done and dusted by 8am!! Fancied a change of scenery as was getting bit bored with my ususl routes, taken from another thread on the main page i decided to try running along the Royal Canal this morning as its only down the road from me. Started at Longwood Harbour and headed West towards the mother county and Mullingar.

3.5 miles out and same back, glorious place to run, grass trails and gravel roads were the underfoot conditions and made for easy going on the legs and knee. I'll definitely try do this as often as i can, lovely place to do an LSR. 7 miles this morning, i couldn't run 7 yards on 1st of January so i'm very happy with that.

Song of the week- " One to many mornings "- The Chemical Brothers.

WTD-15.56miles
    MTD-47.91miles
    YTD-85.91miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Fancied a change of scenery as was getting bit bored with my ususl routes, taken from another thread on the main page i decided to try running along the Royal Canal this morning as its only down the road from me.

Was reading that thread this week and found some older threads about the Royal Canal on here. I definitely plan on getting a train down to Kilcock or Maynooth and running back to Ashtown and then through the Park and home. Just waiting for the right morning in the summer.

3miles 29mins(9.40min/miles)

Recovery run on the dreadmill, knee has been kind of sore since Saturday mornings run along the canal. Only thing that i can think may have caused it was the grass section i ran was very up and down and bumpy. Bought a foam roller yesterday & using it currently as i pray that United remember how to play football!! Christ the roller is severe.

WTD-3miles
    MTD-3miles
    YTD-88.91miles

3rd April '14

5miles 41min 29sec (8.18min/mile)

Kind of a speed session in my current state of fitness, i did nothing more than try run the 5 miles as hard as i could without stressing the knee. Thankfully the knee was ok, the fitness not so much, found it tough going if i'm honest with myself and was blowing pretty hard come the end of the 5 miles. I'll try this again in a couple of weeks to see if i've improved any. Not up to doing it weekly yet i dont think.

Today

4.75miles 42min 20sec (8.55min/mile)

The pace was to quick on this, but it felt comfortable so i just went with what felt good. Legs sore in spots after yesterdays run. I'm going to try one race a month from May so will sit down over weekend and see what i can do regards rest days from work. Weekend races will be few and far between though with work roster.

Song of the week - The 4th Dimension - "Around the day in 80 worlds"

Best of luck to all Boardsies racing over the weekend, give it socks!!

WTD-12.75miles
    MTD-12.75miles
    YTD-98.66miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Kind of a speed session in my current state of fitness, i did nothing more than try run the 5 miles as hard as i could without stressing the knee. Thankfully the knee was ok, the fitness not so much, found it tough going if i'm honest with myself and was blowing pretty hard come the end of the 5 miles. I'll try this again in a couple of weeks to see if i've improved any. Not up to doing it weekly yet i dont think.
    I did something like this last autumn when I was on my come back. I think I read about it on Thomas' blog (the lad from Kerry), basically every Thursday night for 7 or 8 weeks I'd do 6 miles on the treadmill. 1 warmup, 4 @ appox 152bpm & 1 cooldown. It was amazing to see the pace pickup every week at the same HR, a huge confidence booster at a really sh1tty time! The HR method worked out very well for me, kinda ensures you don't overdo it. In fact I've gone from never wearing the HR strap to never not wearing it now.
    Good luck on your way back!

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    I did something like this last autumn when I was on my come back. I think I read about it on Thomas' blog (the lad from Kerry), basically every Thursday night for 7 or 8 weeks I'd do 6 miles on the treadmill. 1 warmup, 4 @ appox 152bpm & 1 cooldown. It was amazing to see the pace pickup every week at the same HR, a huge confidence booster at a really sh1tty time! The HR method worked out very well for me, kinda ensures you don't overdo it. In fact I've gone from never wearing the HR strap to never not wearing it now.
    Good luck on your way back!

Cheers for the advice neilc, i dont have a HR strap for my watch. I'm more from the Gavlor school of running(nowhere near as good) in i do what feels right at the time and run on feel & instinct more than following a structured plan to the book. Maybe it is that thats contributed to my injuries but its how i always have done things.

Advertisement