Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

Really cannot believe it! Going to TCD :) Anyone else? ;)
    Congrats. I can't wait for freshers week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thebabyjesus

Missed Galway on random selection :(
    Im in the same boat as you but id keep hope for now. 2nd round offers are a week away and i think theres still a good chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arthur B

How many points did you have, if I may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arthur B

Guys, Medical Poland are holding Skype interviews for Poland tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EllenDempsey

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Repeated HPAT. Did Med3ntry(day course wasn't really that useful) but I did a lot of practice second time round. A lot.

Paid off though..Even though it is horrific I'd say to anyone that doesn't get med first time around, repeat HPAT!:pac:

Hello! I'm aiming for Medicine in 2016, I have also done the same course and I am currently practicing HPAT drills and starting some practice tests. How often would you have been practicing? Like what would you recommend? :) congrats to those who got offers btw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Hello! I'm aiming for Medicine in 2016, I have also done the same course and I am currently practicing HPAT drills and starting some practice tests. How often would you have been practicing? Like what would you recommend? :) congrats to those who got offers btw!

I practiced everyday because I was a repeat and had the time. If Doctorhopeful sees this they'll probably say "You don't need X course you need to get familiar with the exam" (Which is true but I believe you need the practice to reach your peak potential). We both got the 97th and 98th percentile respectively approaching the exam differently. Different strokes for different folks

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    I practiced everyday because I was a repeat and had the time. If Doctorhopeful sees this they'll probably say "You don't need X course you need to get familiar with the exam" (Which is true but I believe you need the practice to reach your peak potential). We both got the 97th and 98th percentile respectively approaching the exam differently. Different strokes for different folks

Thank you! I agree that you have to have potential but I think like you said, it can be built upon to maximise potential. Would you recommend putting more emphasis on drills or practice exams? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Gallagher1 wrote:
    If Doctorhopeful sees this they'll probably say "You don't need X course you need to get familiar with the exam" (Which is true but I believe you need the practice to reach your peak potential). We both got the 97th and 98th percentile respectively approaching the exam differently. Different strokes for different folks
    you're stealing my job gallagher :P :pac: absolutely agree that it's different for each person

Thank you! I agree that you have to have potential but I think like you said, it can be built upon to maximise potential. Would you recommend putting more emphasis on drills or practice exams?
    i would recommend doing full practise exams under proper time conditions so that you're used to the time pressure and stresson the actual day

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SC2020

Got an email from RCSI discussing fees, bills etc. The fees are due before Sept 1. If I get UCD after rechecks, having already accepted RCSI does that mean I have to make 2 payments or do I get the RCSI one refunded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Emmp21

How many places are on the 5 year and 6 year med courses in NUIG does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Emmp21 wrote: »
    How many places are on the 5 year and 6 year med courses in NUIG does anyone know?

60 in each

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

otoolej2 wrote: »
    Congrats. I can't wait for freshers week.:)

Haha yeah veryy excited about it :) will I be seeing you there?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jdroughtie

I got 155 in hpat and 605 in leaving cert (total 716)..is there any chance of me getting med this year? Maybe in 2nd round offers or 3rd even

Do you mind me asking what percentile you were?

Haha yeah veryy excited about it :) will I be seeing you there?? :)

Yep, just got an email from tcd there. The excitement begins. Hopefully we get our timetable soon enough, just to get an idea of what it will be like. Do you have an idea of the hours we will have per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

Hello! I'm aiming for Medicine in 2016, I have also done the same course and I am currently practicing HPAT drills and starting some practice tests. How often would you have been practicing? Like what would you recommend? congrats to those who got offers btw!

Timing is by far the most important part of it I'd say - if you get your timing right you can go back to harder questions and make sure you get them right.

Aside from that, I think what you should be doing is training your brain to think in the logical way that is expected, approach problems logically and in the most time-efficient manner. So you don't necessarily need Med*ntry but it's an easy way of training your brain to work like that :P

And most of all, make sure you're in a good place on the day!! Stress will throw you completely, especially for Section 2. Eat a good breakfast, go in with someone who will take your mind off things - my little brother told me stupid jokes the whole way in, and it honestly really helped!

So practise, timing, and de-stress - all that got me the 100%ile this year, and got me medicine in UCD! It's well worth it. Good luck!

... just realised I quoted the wrong thing, and I have no ide So EllenDempsey this

• Registered Users Posts: 12 carrie1884

Hello! I'm aiming for Medicine in 2016, I have also done the same course and I am currently practicing HPAT drills and starting some practice tests. How often would you have been practicing? Like what would you recommend? congrats to those who got offers btw!

Timing is by far the most important part of it I'd say - if you get your timing right you can go back to harder questions and make sure you get them right.

Aside from that, I think what you should be doing is training your brain to think in the logical way that is expected, approach problems logically and in the most time-efficient manner. So you don't necessarily need Med*ntry but it's an easy way of training your brain to work like that :P

And most of all, make sure you're in a good place on the day!! Stress will throw you completely, especially for Section 2. Eat a good breakfast, go in with someone who will take your mind off things - my little brother told me stupid jokes the whole way in, and it honestly really helped!

So practise, timing, and de-stress - all that got me the 100%ile this year, and got me medicine in UCD! It's well worth it. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 petrichor

otoolej2 wrote: »
    Yep, just got an email from tcd there. The excitement begins. Hopefully we get our timetable soon enough, just to get an idea of what it will be like. Do you have an idea of the hours we will have per week?

Going into 2nd year med, I can pm you my timetable from last year if you want an idea for the hours? :) Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

petrichor wrote: »
    Going into 2nd year med, I can pm you my timetable from last year if you want an idea for the hours? :) Congrats!

Any chance you could pm me too please :)

Ye , that would be so handy . Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Could you pm me as well please? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donegal262

OMGeary wrote: »
    Any chance you could pm me too please :)

Could I get in on this of you'd be so kind ? :3

i would recommend doing full practise exams under proper time conditions so that you're used to the time pressure and stresson the actual day

Cheers guys, I appreciate the advice 😄

carrie1884 wrote: »

... just realised I quoted the wrong thing, and I have no ide So EllenDempsey this

Hahaha thanks anyway 😄👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 18 briosca

Me too please, if possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

Anyone receive information about starting in NUIG yet?.. Anyone know hours ect and if exams are before/after Christmas?.. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Murphy3 wrote: »
    Anyone receive information about starting in NUIG yet?.. Anyone know hours ect and if exams are before/after Christmas?.. Thanks!

Exams are always before Christmas :P Study week is Nov 30th to Dec 5th and exams are from Dec 7th to Dec 18th. :P You probably won't find out your hours until orientation week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moro123

Could you pm me too by any chance?

I got a letter from ucd with all the information about garda vetting and vaccinations and I'm a bit confused.

The price for the vaccinations is €225, but if you have certain components already completed (chicken pox, hepatitis B) is it cheaper or do we pay the full price anyway?

So exciting, feels real now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

Yeah, you pay the full price and then they refund you once you show them proof of having gotten all the injections :)

Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement