Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

vladd25 wrote: »
    Let me get it straight. If you don't get into med the first time round, you can go to biomed at UCD and then if you get affered a place for medicine you could transfer and still get the tuition fees covered and everything? Does it apply for other courses that include a lot of medically related schiences as well?

Yes you resist your HPAT, reapply to the CAO with UCD medicine first and then if you get get offered that, you don't have to do premed (providing you've passed all your modules in biomed I presume) and go straight to first year med while your grant carries on as it's understood to be your second year. I know a girl who did the same in Galway, and it may apply in RCSI too I'm not sure? If you reapplied and got TCD though for example, you'd lose your grant for your first year there cos it'd be considered as repeating first year. As for other mediciney courses, perhaps if they also had a really big overlap with premed? My guess is you'd have to just try sort it out with the college yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Beca19 wrote:
    Yes you resist your HPAT, reapply to the CAO with UCD medicine first and then if you get get offered that, you don't have to do premed (providing you've passed all your modules in biomed I presume) and go straight to first year med while your grant carries on as it's understood to be your second year. I know a girl who did the same in Galway, and it may apply in RCSI too I'm not sure? If you reapplied and got TCD though for example, you'd lose your grant for your first year there cos it'd be considered as repeating first year. As for other mediciney courses, perhaps if they also had a really big overlap with premed? My guess is you'd have to just try sort it out with the college yourself.

This is really cool. I didn't know that's possible. Thanks a lot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ok cool. I am not familiar with preMed tbh but if it's the same as preDent which some of the international students have then I can see why you would want to skip it.
    5 years is long enough for an undergraduate course if you ask me.

Hopefully your sibling will get UCD so they get the fees covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Beca19 wrote: »

That just ain't true. You can skip the premed under specific circumstances, but as for free fees you get nada; full tuition for the 5 years. (My cousin did this)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    That just ain't true. You can skip the premed under specific circumstances, but as for free fees you get nada; full tuition for the 5 years. (My cousin did this)

What I said before is what my sister has told me so, I dunno maybe you're right and maybe it is wrong. If it is then it really sucks for her seeing as she's believed up until now that she'll get the grant next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

It's variable so, as I know people who have definitely managed to do this in NUIG. Not sure what the case is with other colleges. It requires a bit of initiative in going to the Fees Office yourself, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the route was closed in the coming years, but there's certainly precedent for it (in NUIG at least).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, that wouldn't make sense anyway; even if they did get caught for full tuition for one year, it would revert to normal after that.

By any chance, was your cousin doing graduate medicine (i.e. did she already have a degree)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caoimhinmacl

I'm a leaving cert student and I've not done the HPAT for this years undergrad medicine. I'm thinking of doing a three year course and then applying for graduate entry to medicine. Looking for advice on fees and advise on which undergraduate course would suit me best. Or are there other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 smtp95

I'm a leaving cert student and I've not done the HPAT for this years undergrad medicine. I'm thinking of doing a three year course and then applying for graduate entry to medicine. Looking for advice on fees and advise on which undergraduate course would suit me best. Or are there other options?

Hey,
    To do graduate entry medicine you need to have a 2:1 in any level 8 degree. Now, the majority of 3 year degrees are level 7s. With the exception of something like an arts degree.

Currently I'm doing science. It's a four year degree. But you can graduate early after three years with a level 8 general science degree if you intend to go on to study med etc.

Let me know if you want any more help :) be sure to check the course is a level 8

Also, with fees. You get reduced fees for your first degree so unfortunately you have to pay for your second (medicine).

Hi thanks for the reply,

Basically this is my problem: I want to do medicine but I have not done the HPAT for this year and I have not done chemistry for the leaving cert, I assume I will get 460 in my leaving cert. What are my best options to get into medicine?

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for the reply,

Basically this is my problem: I want to do medicine but I have not done the HPAT for this year and I have not done chemistry for the leaving cert, I assume I will get 460 in my leaving cert. What are my best options to get into medicine?

The HPAT is a very strange exam. Now, I think you need to have a minimum of 480 points to get into undergrad med, also you would have to have an amazing HPAT result. Realistically speaking, this year the lowest points in UCD for medicine were 540 plus a very good HPAT.

I got 535 points and in light of my disappointing HPAT decided against repeating it this year. I know someone who got 615 and still didn't get med because of the HPAT.

After you get your lc results you can consider doing the HPAT next year, but I wouldn't take a year out to study for something you may not even have a chance in achieving in.

What do I think you should do to help get into graduate med? The gamsat is the exam you need to do to gain entry into graduate medicine. It's different from the HPAT. There are there sections. A 'humanities' section, an essay section and a science section.

I think your best bet would be to do a science degree. There is a huge chunk of organic chem in the gamsat, so being exposed to that in your undergrad science degree would help you out big time :) think about doing a level 8 science degree in maynooth, dcu or dit. Look into cork and Galway too, depending on where you live. Personally I know people doing science in all these places.

Honestly, chemistry is tough going. I did it for the leaving cert but never really liked it. But in college they do foundation courses for people who haven't done it, trust me there are lots!

thank you very much this has helped me big time!!

thank you very much this has helped me big time!!

No worries. It you have any questions about your cao when it re-opens don't hesitate to ask :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Hi thanks for the reply,

I think you are really going to have to consider how much you really want to do med.

Can I ask why you didn't do the HPAT this year, were you sick?

My advice to anyone who really wants to do medicine is repeat, repeat repeat. The vast majority of people in all med course around the country have repeated either the leaving or the HPAT if not both.

My opinion would be, unless you got a very high leaving, i.e 560+, consider repeating your leaving if possible, and I know everyones circumstances are different and repeating isn't always possible.

However, considering that you have not done the HPAT, for this year, you are basically guaranteed not to get a place this year, and your estimate of 460 (which I can nearly guarantee is a low estimate, on your behalf) means that repeating the LC and doing the HPAT next year, are your best bets, IF you are really serious about doing med.

Graduate med, is not an easy thing to get into to. And thats after already doing a 3 for 4 year course, so at the end of it you could be looking at 7-8years in 3rd level education. On the other hand, taking a year out to repeat, and getting a place in TCD, will only result in 6years. Oh and you'll save yourself a small fortune as well...GEM is not cheap!!!
    smtp95 wrote: »
    Hey,
    To do graduate entry medicine you need to have a 2:1 in any level 8 degree. Now, the majority of 3 year degrees are level 7s. With the exception of something like an arts degree.

Just for the record, Arts degrees can be level 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JK2015

You may skip premed in cases where your first year modules are similar/the same as the premed modules, and as such, as first year is not repeated, free fees remain for the next 4.

It does depend on the college whether they will accept first year of a biomed course as a 'substitution' to premed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Well, that wouldn't make sense anyway; even if they did get caught for full tuition for one year, it would revert to normal after that.

By any chance, was your cousin doing graduate medicine (i.e. did she already have a degree)?

EDIT: Sorry misread the initial post

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jacobwrench97

Just wanted to ask. Is it worth it applying for the Italian medicine programme?
    I just got a link to apply for the aptitude test in Dublin on the 10th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

Just wanted to ask. Is it worth it applying for the Italian medicine programme?
    I just got a link to apply for the aptitude test in Dublin on the 10th September.

I think if you've practiced the hpat, section 1 IMAT is pretty similar, though not identical to section 1 of hpat, and if biology and chemistry are fresh in your head, you stand a good chance in those sections, and then you only need basic physics and maths to do those 8 questions, so the test is worth doing. If you'd like to study in Italy and are able to, make sure you're strong in biology and chemistry and practice for section 1 of it - it's doable! (I'm basing this off of 2014, so check if the test is similar to last year's)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Katdrama wrote: »
    I think if you've practiced the hpat, section 1 IMAT is pretty similar, though not identical to section 1 of hpat, and if biology and chemistry are fresh in your head, you stand a good chance in those sections, and then you only need basic physics and maths to do those 8 questions, so the test is worth doing. If you'd like to study in Italy and are able to, make sure you're strong in biology and chemistry and practice for section 1 of it - it's doable! (I'm basing this off of 2014, so check if the test is similar to last year's)

Does this year's IMAT allow you to apply for medicine for the 2015/2016 academic year or the 2016/2017 academic year?

Also is leaving cert biology and chemistry the standard or should I look up extra information?

I don't do physics but i know a little bit from junior cert science and I do applied maths. Do you think that would be enough?

I would like to have a backup in case I don't get medicine here in Ireland and i can only apply to ucas for the 2016/2017 academic year.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lochlin

I've been wondering what the best ways to prepare for the Hpat are, I have some sample questions and a practice test at the moment but I was hoping to get my hands soon more material. If anyone knows any alternative to the very expensive med-entry package or anywhere else to get practice papers it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anybody knows of any other aptitude tests worth practicing, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blue_velvet

What date in June are the HPAT results out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ThatsTheShtuff

They still haven't given a definite date yet,
    but everyone is suspecting the 22nd of June.
    Keep an eye on the Hpat/Acer website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

It's 22nd of June

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

LauraKc wrote: »
    Does this year's IMAT allow you to apply for medicine for the 2015/2016 academic year or the 2016/2017 academic year?

Also is leaving cert biology and chemistry the standard or should I look up extra information?

I don't do physics but i know a little bit from junior cert science and I do applied maths. Do you think that would be enough?

I would like to have a backup in case I don't get medicine here in Ireland and i can only apply to ucas for the 2016/2017 academic year.
    Thanks!

The one for Humanitas in Milan is for 2015/2016, the test is Sept 10th. Im confused myself about the IMAt dates for the other Italian universities, last I heard was the dates would be announced in June/July, but keep checking the universitaly website if they're up & running yet to see if they've announced the dates!

You can do well with LC level Biology & Chemistry, but most of the questions are applied knowledge so you need to be really good at Bio & Chem (if you get As there you'll be fine). That being said, there might be a few questions that are unfamiliar to the LC syllabus, e.g. a rough endoplasmic reticulum question. If you had never covered that at LC, you could guess but if you got it wrong there's negative marking, if you really didn't know & didn't answer you would get 0, had you answered all the other questions that were familiar, you get points for those, so you could make up for those few questions you didn't know, that's how you can do well without necessarily needing a degree or A levels. Sorry if that was longwinded!

I'm not sure I've never done applied maths, if there's a question to do with motion, it might? Some of the questions might be more theory-based though? Physics is a big enough subject to have to go thru when there are only 4 qns, a rapid revision physics book would do the trick I'd say!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Does anyone have any idea of what the percentiles are going to be like this year based on the mature students results?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Is there a history of second round offers in Medicine or do most people take up round 1 offer leaving no second round ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

woopah92 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of what the percentiles are going to be like this year based on the mature students results?

It should be fairly similar to last year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is there a history of second round offers in Medicine or do most people take up round 1 offer leaving no second round ??
    Second round offers are fairly common I think, and even third round, as some of those offers in second round may be to those who had Trinity first and UCD second (for example), and get offered Trinity in R2 and take it, thus in turn opening up a place in UCD.

If you can follow that convoluted sentence ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Second round offers are fairly common I think, and even third round, as some of those offers in second round may be to those who had Trinity first and UCD second (for example), and get offered Trinity in R2 and take it, thus in turn opening up a place in UCD.

If you can follow that convoluted sentence ... :D

Thinking about that. Why would anyone who if offered, say, Trinity in round 1 not take it up after all the work with HPAT etc. The 2nd round offer for Trinity to the person who accepted UCD must have been rejected by some such person if I understand the system.... You thought your reply was convoluted! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement