Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dasey

I was expecting section 1 to be my best section, but i found some of the questions very odd! And the timing screwed me over! Section2, went as it always does! English is not my forte and i simply had no choice but to guess! Section 3 went better than ever, and i found myself finding a pattern to most questions, but from experience i know that doesn't mean they're right! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Thank **** that is over

If **** was a user that posted ont his I'd thank him or her.

Anyway I think mine went pretty bad-average, far different from the ME practise exams imo, nothing really medical related in S1 or S2 which kinda disappointed me.

Edit: Got S1 finished on time might've guessed about 5, S2 was really a hit or miss for me but I got through it prob about 15 of them I got pretty easily but I'm guedsing I got no more than 22 right. S3 ran short on time had to guess the last 5 questions but I usually do grand on S3, I was sure for about 5 or 6 questions, not sure about the rest, just hoping for anything over 12. Overall I think I did pretty bad compared to how I got on in ME :/

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

So I've been doing the HPAT for a few years now (this is my 3rd, but I'm already in medicine) and honestly, I think that section 1 was quite hard in comparison to the previous years. As with section 3. Don't worry about how you think you got on, cause remember it's all done on a bell curve anyway. Don't worry until results come out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Section 1 was pretty tough I thought... A lot of multi-part problem solving types which I'm not crazy about because if you don't "get" the main concept quickly it can basically kill your chances with 4/5/6 questions. I would say at least 7-8 were guesses of some form or another on my part.

Section 2 was very nice; very similar to the sample papers with a few more challenging answer choices.

Section 3 was pretty tough too I thought; a lot of strange patterns and I had to guess around 7-8 yet again.

Overall as far as my own performance goes I'm not devastated but not ecstatic either; I would say it's probably around the lower end of my 'average' scores but really it's very difficult to know.

In terms of my overall impression of the paper I would say the ACER sample papers give a much better "feel" for the actual test when compared with the M-E or other practice exams. I would describe it as a mix of Sample 2 and Sample 3 with a slight increase in difficulty across the three sections but nothing too drastic.

And just a word for those who think they've done badly; remember that we all had to sit the same paper and from the sounds of things we all struggled... So your percentile and thus your marks can still be quite good.

And for everyone who completed the exam regardless of how poorly you think you did; you should congratulate yourselves on getting through it and treat yourselves to a weekend off... Go blow off some steam or relax in whatever way you can.

I've sat a lot of exams in my time; Leaving Cert, University, finals, professional accreditation etc. and the HPAT has been by far the toughest... So especially for those of you yet to sit your Leaving Certificate take that as a positive from today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I actually thought S1 was not terrible.. a little easier than ME. S2 was really difficult in my opinion, I really struggled with it. S3 was average and pretty standard.

The test as a whole was so much harder than ACERs exams expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fitzyg

lads as soon as i got out of the exam i started crying... the invigilator told us 10 mins were left of S3 and then ended the exam 5 mins later(5minutes earlier than she should have), then apologised but said that another supervisor said we started a bit early? genuinely so pissed, missed out 7 S3 questions

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

fitzyg wrote: »
    lads as soon as i got out of the exam i started crying... the invigilator told us 10 mins were left of S3 and then ended the exam 5 mins later(5minutes earlier than she should have), then apologised but said that another supervisor said we started a bit early? genuinely so pissed, missed out 7 S3 questions

Me too!! Had 7 left was so upset

• Registered Users Posts: 1 soora123

is the medicine dream over ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

yoyojc wrote: »
    I actually thought S1 was not terrible.. a little easier than ME. S2 was really difficult in my opinion, I really struggled with it. S3 was average and pretty standard.

The test as a whole was so much harder than ACERs exams expected!

I was the same as! Thought section 1 started very nicely but found it quite difficult to choose between the section 2 answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ac1234567

can anyone remember some of their specific answers to section 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chrisol83

Anyone know if they got 'you can predict 1 definite position' for the last 2 Q's of the colour tiles Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

That invigilator majorly screwed up. I thought i was cruising it when she said there is 10 minutes left. When she called time, my heart dropped. I still had five question left. The worst part is, after my answer sheet was collected i glanced through the last few question and they seemed quite easy. sickened is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

otoolej2 wrote: »
    That invigilator majorly screwed up. I thought i was cruising it when she said there is 10 minutes left. When she called time, my heart dropped. I still had five question left. The worst part is, after my answer sheet was collected i glanced through the last few question and they seemed quite easy. sickened is an understatement.

That's really unfortunate, can you report them?

Personally I found section 2 very difficult, does anyone remember the question where you had to describe the girl who was telling one girl about her disabled friend and you had to describe her, one of the options included irritable? But can you describe her as irritable or is that more of a personal opinion???

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AngloIrishMan

Personally I found section 2 very difficult, does anyone remember the question where you had to describe the girl who was telling one girl about her disabled friend and you had to describe her, one of the options included irritable? But can you describe her as irritable or is that more of a personal opinion???

Everybody who sat the exam in TCD should email ACER about what happened today. Absolutely disgraceful. I had five answers left blank when she said 'pens down'.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

It definitely wasnt irritable, I hope. According to MEntry, calling her irritable is making a judgement which is what section 2 is meant to penalise you for. I said self assured and assertive because she said some shít like she decides her own opinion on people. Idk the correct phrasing but I was torn between the irritable answer and the other one

Everybody who sat the exam in TCD should email ACER about what happened today. Absolutely disgraceful. I had five answers left blank when she said 'pens down'.

Id give my left pinky toe for those five minutes, heck id consider giving my right one too.

The woman had written on the board that Section 3 would be finished at 1.08PM.
    She then decided to end it at 1.03PM, claiming that it should be finished at this time.
    I clearly remember that Section 1 was finished at 11.41AM.
    If you add the time taken for both Section 2&3 and the 2x1mins allowed for looking over each section, you get 1hr27mins.
    Add this to 11.41AM and you get 1.08PM.
    So it was supposed to finish at 1.08PM.
    This is an outrage, a scandal!

Well you can look at it another way too; if that's the case then they have to do something to rectify the potential disparity between candidates. Potentially that could lead to a boosting of everyone's Section 3 whoever was in that particular venue.

Just make sure to contact ACER and let them know you're not happy; but I hope people did it at the venue itself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

ronivek wrote: »
    Well you can look at it another way too; if that's the case then they have to do something to rectify the potential disparity between candidates. Potentially that could lead to a boosting of everyone's Section 3 whoever was in that particular venue.

Just make sure to contact ACER and let them know you're not happy; but I hope people did it at the venue itself too.

They can't just give everyone in that centre the marks can they? Surely that's unfair on everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Debzc

TCD definitely finished five minutes early. What's the email address to complain? It's disgraceful. Also we were rushed out of the venue, like I didn't even have time to put my coat on, never mind talk to the invigolator about it.

They can't just give everyone in that centre the marks can they? Surely that's unfair on everyone else

Also not fair that 200+ people didn't get to finish the exam :'(

Debzc wrote: »
    TCD definitely finished five minutes early. What's the email address to complain? It's disgraceful. Also we were rushed out of the venue, like I didn't even have time to put my coat on, never mind talk to the invigolator about it.

i cant post urls but the email is just the one theyve been sending the reminders off of! i emailed them there when there was an error on my admission ticket and got a swift response so hopefully itll be the same case now! everyone else who was in tcd should email them too, this is really unfair on us

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

mhf55 wrote: »
    Also not fair that 200+ people didn't get to finish the exam :'(

Also unfair how mentry students had access to at least 3 qs that came up. Id find it hard to believe that they''ll give those 200+ students an extra 5 marks

Debzc wrote: »

yeah, we need an email address.

Gosh, this whole HPAT system is so corrupt in countless different ways. It should be abolished straight away. I just fear that I'm going to be back doing it next year again.

otoolej2 wrote: »
    yeah, we need an email address.

it's the one we've been getting reminders off of

Also unfair how mentry students had access to at least 3 qs that came up. Id find it hard to believe that they''ll give those 200+ students an extra 5 marks

I did med entry and 2/3 questions were similar but not the same

just emailed them there! wonder whether they'll respond haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Debzc

Emailed them. Hopefully they take into account anyone who was at a disadvantage today.

Best of luck, everybody!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement