Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

theboy1 wrote: »
    Cool.Does anyone know the idea behind section 3 in relation to a career in medicine?

Obviously I could see Section 1 and 2 being very important as problem solving and interpersonal understanding is vital in being a doctor.

But where does section 3 come in?

Thinking outside the box, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

hi guys, just wondering could anyone give me some last minute help on question 1? i can always narrow it down to 2 answers but generally pick the wrong one..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jom95

theboy1 wrote: »
    Cool.Does anyone know the idea behind section 3 in relation to a career in medicine?

Obviously I could see Section 1 and 2 being very important as problem solving and interpersonal understanding is vital in being a doctor.

But where does section 3 come in?
    It's a bit of a stretch but the anatomy were doing in first year is quite visual, its not just simple rote learning. In order to do well in it, you have to have a good idea how structures relate to each other, you need to be able to picture in your mind the paths of nerves, arteries. That's the only really use I've seen of it so far, and even that could be debatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jom95

My percentiles fluctuate so much with M-E, for each section I have gotten anywhere between 98th percentile to <20 (!! this was for Section 3 at the start before I had done much practice haha). I know we shouldn't take them too seriously as it's not a good sample of who will actually take the HPAT and towards the end only the 'most prepared' students will take the exams. (Or so we've been told..) I'm just wondering if you remember what 'score' you remember getting (usually) for each section?

Was S2 more difficult in that it was more ambiguous (the wording of the answers and behaviour of the characters)? Was it generally harder to discern their motives and feelings from the prose and context?

I appreciate your help so much, thank you!! And well done for doing so well in the HPAT and getting into med.

Yeah don't worry everyone's percentiles fluctuate, my only consistently good one was section 1, sections 2 and 3 were all over the place. The ironic thing is that section 1 was marginally my worst one on the day, which is the messed up thing about the whole exam. In general I got above 90 in section 1, 50-80 in section 2 and anything in section 3, I mean anything, it was an absolute mess. Got a fair few 0-20's myself in it so don't worry about those, if you look at the little histograms ME puts up, you see that a many people are concentrated at a certain percentage of questions right. Therefore 1 or 2 questions above this leads to a high percentile and 1 or 2 questions below this could lead to a low percentile, in total leading to a difference of maybe 4 questions right. The difference in percentile of getting 4 questions right could be huge, which is why making sensible, educated guesses can be really important, as it can make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

Would anybody be willing to email me acer practice test 2...really don't want to have to ask my parents for the money #recession it would be greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Sorry this is really random, but does it annoy anyone else when you see people going for Med who are obviously hoping to do it for the wrong reasons? (I'm the farthest thing from prejudiced, but sometimes certain conversations imply this.) It just frustrates me because there are so many others who'd value their place more. Of course, people are free to do what they want but I really do wish that the system worked differently, and that candidates chose their course based on (what I believe to be) the 'right' reasons. Ah well! We can only do our best and hopefully our ambitions, desires and skills will aid us get to where we need and want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Can anyone who did the exam last year, and got into med please share how they did in S1/2/3? Like out of 44, 36, 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Can anyone who did the exam last year, and got into med please share how they did in S1/2/3? Like out of 44, 36, 30?

They don't tell you on the results document, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Has any one any last minute advice for today tomorrow and the actually morning? Like what should I do today and tomorrow and even tomorrow night?
    Any tips would be very well appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

My percentiles flunctuate so much.. I have no idea how I will do Saturday but in reality there's not all that much we can do now! I guess what will be, will be!

Good luck everyone!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 briosca

I'm hoping that how bad I am at section 3 won't ruin my chances. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AndyOC97

Hi guys, like many others I imagine, nerves are steadily creeping up on me with regards to Saturday. I'm just wondering with Med Entry's feedback and their expected percentile rank; are they accurate? My email told me I should score between 65-75, percentile wise. Would that be sufficient with a high Leaving Cert score? For those who sat the HPAT last year and got Med Entry feedback; were your predictions and actual results similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mikey00

I'm doing the leaving cert this year and only realised recently that I wanted to do medicine. The HPAT deadline is already gone and I'm told I'd have to repeat as you need to do leaving and hpat in the same year. I'd like to do it in ucc. Is this true? Is there any way around this??

briosca wrote: »
    I'm hoping that how bad I am at section 3 won't ruin my chances. :/

Section 1: 40%
    Section 2: 40%
    Section 3: 20%

You probably already know this but just a reminder so don't worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

My feeling is that the percentiles are essentially worthless I'm afraid. I've done quite a few practice exams now under test conditions and the variance in scores and percentiles is pretty significant.

That could be a failing on my part but the general consensus in any threads I've read either here or M-E seems to be fluctuation is normal.

Irrespective of how well or poorly you've done in any of your practice exams; ultimately the only thing that matters is how it goes on the day. We would all like to have a good idea how we're going to do or to be able to go in full of confidence because we've aced every test we've done so far but I think for the vast majority of people that just won't be the case.

I think it's probably useful to remind yourself that whatever the highest percentile you've received in any practice exam is; there's no reason you can't achieve that percentile in the real test.

AndyOC97 wrote: »
    Hi guys, like many others I imagine, nerves are steadily creeping up on me with regards to Saturday. I'm just wondering with Med Entry's feedback and their expected percentile rank; are they accurate? My email told me I should score between 65-75, percentile wise. Would that be sufficient with a high Leaving Cert score? For those who sat the HPAT last year and got Med Entry feedback; were your predictions and actual results similar?

Would be interesting to hear how people did compared to their ******** predicted percentiles.

After the 2-day course trial exam they told me between 75th and 85th and then after the recent mock they told me between 85th and 95th. I'm just hoping to hit 70th+ and then go for 600 in the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

It's only really dawning on me now that the hpat is in 2 Days

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Looking forward to getting it over and done with now, what's the worst that could happen?!
    Oh Yehh....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 futuremedic19

Good luck to everyone sitting the HPAT tomorrow :)
    I wish you guys all the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

mikey00 wrote: »
    I'm doing the leaving cert this year and only realised recently that I wanted to do medicine. The HPAT deadline is already gone and I'm told I'd have to repeat as you need to do leaving and hpat in the same year. I'd like to do it in ucc. Is this true? Is there any way around this??

You have been misled.
    You would have to do the hpat next year but not repeat your lc.

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You have been misled.

Do you know if it's possible to start a course in uni and then do the hpat in the same year? And use your old lc results?

Do you know if it's possible to start a course in uni and then do the hpat in the same year? And use your old lc results?

Yes, you can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

HELP!!

I printed out my admissions ticket yesterday and the expiry date of my passport has been printed on it incorrectly. I have emailed ACER but no reply as of yet. Can I just use biro to change it myself??? Like I hope they're not as strict about that as they are about my name etc?

*EDIT* I got it sorted, for the record yes it does have to all be 100% accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AngloIrishMan

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You have been misled.

No, this person is mistaken. In actuality, the leaving cert and HPAT must be taken in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

No, this person is mistaken. In actuality, the leaving cert and HPAT must be taken in the same year.

No they don't I have two friends who are in college repeating it this year.

mhf55 wrote: »
    No they don't I have two friends who are in college repeating it this year.

At the Higher Options Conference, I actually asked a TCD lecturer if I would be able to complete the leaving cert. this year and take the HPAT the following year. She informed me that both must be taken in the same year.
    If you are a mature student however, I think it may not be necessary.

At the Higher Options Conference, I actually asked a TCD lecturer if I would be able to complete the leaving cert. this year and take the HPAT the following year. She informed me that both must be taken in the same year.

They 100% got it wrong because someone from the year ahead of me in school got into rcsi medicine, repeated the hpat in their first year and got into ucd the following year. My friend reapplying this year has been in contact with ucd and they haven't mentioned such a thing either. Unless maybe trinity just do it that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Guide to Medicine Admissions.

In 2015, undergraduate entry to medicine for school leavers will be based on both:
    • achieving a minimum of 480 points and meeting the minimum entry requirements for the programme in the same sitting
    of the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent*)^
    and
    • completing the required admissions test (HPAT-Ireland) in 2015.
    (Note: ^ Pre 2015 Leaving Certificate results may be presented)

mhf55 wrote: »
    They 100% got it wrong because someone from the year ahead of me in school got into rcsi medicine, repeated the hpat in their first year and got into ucd the following year. My friend reapplying this year has been in contact with ucd and they haven't mentioned such a thing either. Unless maybe trinity just do it that way

Google 'medicine entry test faces overhaul' and you will find an Irish Times article which explains the system.

Here's a quote:
    "It will still be open to aspiring doctors to repeat both the Leaving Cert and HPAT, but they would have to do both tests in the same year to be eligible."

• Advertisement

Google 'medicine entry test faces overhaul' and you will find an Irish Times article which explains the system.

Here's a quote:
    "It will still be open to aspiring doctors to repeat both the Leaving Cert and HPAT, but they would have to do both tests in the same year to be eligible."

I don't know why that article says that but in any case the person I was referring to above did their leaving cert in 2013 and Hpat in 2014 and is in medicine in ucd now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement