Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due November 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

God, that's terrible. A scan takes max 20 mins. Shouldn't be that hard to offer one to everyone.

I was at my appointment today and got a mini scan. Babies were punching and kicking like crazy and midwife was surprised I couldn't feel a thing! So just cos you can't feel it doesn't mean they are not moving!

Mine are starting a pattern now, where when I'm just about to nod off, they wake up and start dancing. Hope they get out of that habit pretty sharpish when they're born!

Hi ladies, hope everyone is doing well and the ease in heat is more comfortable. I never thought I'd be glad saying it's not so hot anymore! Can't imagine what it must be like to be heavily pregnant in this weather. I can't believe how fast time is going! Saw on the dec thread they have listed dates etc, think it's a bit more active than our thread though.
    Mine is : 17th- holles street- 1st babies- surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Ooh good idea. My details are
    2nd Nov - Holles St - surprise

Has it got cooler?? I just seem to be constantly sweating - not a good look! Can't wait to get home in the evenings to put on my flip flops. If I could get to my toes to make them look respectable I'd be wearing them in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

Yeah I seen that, it's a good idea.

due 18th - st Luke's Kilkenny - 2nd baby - boy

The reduction in heat is very much welcomed! However I have had to put away my wedding and engagement rings as they were cutting off circulation the past week. I noticed today too that my left ankle is massive! Dunno why only the one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭speckledhen

Hey mine is 2nd Nov, hopefully :-) - 1st time - surprise - Cork

Got a good comfy sleep last night for a change! Put a duvet under the sheet and kept a pillow back and front. Humidity going is helping too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 emmcc

28th of November, Portiuncula. First pregnancy, surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

3 Nov, Coombe, surprise!!! 2nd baby.

3 Nov, Coombe, surprise!!! 2nd baby.

Speckledhen. : 2nd Nov, 1st time - surprise - Cork
    Flippyfloppy. : 3 Nov, Coombe, surprise!!! 2nd baby.
    Orchidsrpretty : 17th- holles street- 1st babies- surprises.
    Natty_asha. : 18th - st Luke's Kilkenny - 2nd baby - boy
    Emmac. : 28th of November, Portiuncula. First pregnancy, surprise

Eek Speckledhen, looks like you're up first!! You'll have to give the rest of us first timers some tips when the time comes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Nice idea, orchidsrpretty!
    I'm 20 Nov, Holles St., first pregnancy, surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

13th (probably 27th) November, 5th baby, planned, Drogheda.

Heat is not bothering me at all thank god, still managing the gym twice a week and running after the other 4 who are 15, 12, 4 and 2. Just finished potty training the youngest boy and thank god he's clever enough he got the idea in about 4 days.. :D Roll on November cos my ribs are killing me the last 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Lainycool 11th November Coombe 2nd baby-boy

Julo12. : 2nd Nov - Holles St - surprise
    lainycool : 11th November Coombe 2nd baby-boy
    Cbyrd. : 13th (probably 27th) November, 5th baby, planned, Drogheda
    painauchocolat: 20 Nov, Holles St., first pregnancy, surprise

Cbyrd. Where are you getting all this energy from? I'm so jealous! I can barely manage a 40 min stroll per day and that warrants having a 2 hour nap after! I'm on health and safety leave from work so that has probably contributed to my laziness!

Had a growth scan yesterday at 24+3 and babies are measuring 1lb10oz and 1lb13oz. Baby 2 tummy was nearly 20mm bigger(sign of gd) than baby 1, the sonographer didn't seem too concerned just asked me to cut down on sugar intake. I'm not eating a lot of junk but do eat a lot of fruit. Should I be cutting down on that? It's gotten me pretty worried, I have outpatients appoint on Tuesday so hopefully will get a chance to ask questions.

Does everyone get tested for gestational diabetes or is it if they just find sugar in your urine?

Well, its a case of having to rather than wanting to.. the kids will go feral if not minded for more than a half hour at a time and the gym gives me headspace and time away from them and the house.. i feel so much better when i get home after,
    The glucose test is done if you are in the risk catagory, there's a list of them, I fall into 2 of the catagories, I'm over 40 and my dad had type 2 so I got tested on thursday and low and behold I have to go back next week to the clinic cos my results were up.. I'm gutted to say the least..:(
    Ditch the fruit, switch to veg for fiber intake and if you drink juice or fizzy drinks dump them too even the diet ones, they're lethal.. breads honeys jams biscuits cakes all the nice stuff is mental for upping the blood sugar so go easy on these..And milk..
    I had been minding myself so well I'm beyond disappointed.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all . Due nov 15th in portiuncla :) 1st baby. Both very excited

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lisad90

Due nov 15th portiuncla . 1st baby very excited

Julo12. : 2nd Nov - Holles St - surprise
    lainycool : 11th November Coombe 2nd baby-boy
    Cbyrd. : 13th (probably 27th) November, 5th baby, planned, Drogheda
    lisad90 :nov 15th portiuncla . 1st baby very excited
    painauchocolat: 20 Nov, Holles St., first pregnancy, surprise

Congrats lisad90!

Was at my appointment on Tuesday and asked the doctor about the scan etc on Friday. She told me they don't worry about gestional diabetes until 26-28weeks so will ask again at my next appointment in 2 weeks. Was a bit disappointed I didn't get more reassurance, but I suppose it's a good thing the doctor is not worried.

Congrats lisad90!

Was at my appointment on Tuesday and asked the doctor about the scan etc on Friday. She told me they don't worry about gestional diabetes until 26-28weeks so will ask again at my next appointment in 2 weeks. Was a bit disappointed I didn't get more reassurance, but I suppose it's a good thing the doctor is not worried.

Have you been booked in for a glucose tolerance test? This is usually done at 28 weeks!
    I had mine done early this time as I had gestational diabetes on my last pregnancy and low and behold I have it!

It doesn't bother me to much though, The sweet foods I can deal with it's the likes of bread and pasta that bugs me and you really have to watch your portion sizes with GD.

These are the things I'm working on at the moment.

• Advertisement

No, I haven't been, as I said she was a bit dismissive. I will say it again at my next appointment. I wonder should I still be visiting my gp? I'm attending the pre term surveillance clinic and tbh there isn't much talking to them about anything, they barely look at chart.
    I've been trying to cut out sugary things just to be safer but it's not going so well! Bread and pasta would be a huge part of my diet.
    Is the diet the same as a diabetic diet?

No, I haven't been, as I said she was a bit dismissive. I will say it again at my next appointment. I wonder should I still be visiting my gp? I'm attending the pre term surveillance clinic and tbh there isn't much talking to them about anything, they barely look at chart.
    I've been trying to cut out sugary things just to be safer but it's not going so well! Bread and pasta would be a huge part of my diet.

I don't attend a gp as I'm in the hospital every 3 weeks so there is no point!
    Yes the exact same as a diabetic diet, You do get used to it very quick though.
    You can still have bread and pasta you just need to watch portion sizes!
    I found it much easier last time as my appetite went when I was pregnant but this time all I can think of is food ha

Thanks lainey cool. I attend every two weeks, so I guess no point either. Maybe I
    should try be more assertive! Will try follow a diabetic diet and see how if goes!

I have turned into a human dustbin. I feel like I'm eating every 10mins!

I've got it this time round, although its a bit strange. My test results were lower this time than the last pregnancy and last time I was told to go home and stop eating the dairy that the GP had told me to start eating, so I could maybe avoid the problems I had with my 3rd boy when I switched from breastfeeding to bottles. My results this time were a good bit lower but they're not letting me away with it.
    I got my test kit and I'm watching what I eat, my portion sizes were never big anyway, (dinner on a side plate) It's not only the sweet stuff you have to watch, it's all carbohydrates, they are sugar as far as the body is concerned it's only the rate at which they turn to sugar ... rices pastas bread are slower than cakes biscuits and sweets. But, so is fruit .. especially fruit juices and smoothies.
    The thing I found really annoying is I was told yesterday to eat 3 large meals and 2 small snacks... I never eat large meals, first off I physically can't fit it in, I always ate 4 - 5 small meals in a day.. all of the advice I've been given during other pregnancies to avoid heartburn, nausea, and so on is to avoid big meals..

You're tested between 24 and 26 weeks only if you fall into the risk category. there are about 10 criteria you'll have been asked on you booking appointment and if you tick any of them you'll automatically be put forward for the Glucose test. The 2 i fall into are I'm over 40 and my Dad had type 2 diabetes.
    The main worry with it is obviously the higher birthweight of the baby but it affects your blood pressure, which increases the risk of pre-eclampsia, you also have an increased risk of developing type 2 later in life, it raises it a huge 50 to 70 % chance of developing it. This is the part that is really upsetting me. I watched my dad struggle with it for 15 years before he died.
    There is so little information given at the clinics and some of it by different people is contradictory. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

I could be looking to you ladies for advice as I have me GTT on the 27th this month. I'll be 28 weeks at the time of the test. Not looking forward to having to fast for it but alas it must be done! :(

I fall into the risk group due to my weight. I was overweight in my last pregnancy too but wasnt tested but had no complications in relation to gestational diabetes so they reckon its just routine really that I'm tested.

Im not getting worked up or worried about the possible outcome until I know the results. My diet is fairly healthy as is, so if I have it then I'll deal with it as best I can.

On another note I am crippled with heartburn the past week! I have a short torso so baby tends to reach the upper part of my body early enough in pregnancy! If only we grew wider instead of upwards since I have great "child baring hips" according to all my older relatives! :p

also constant leaking boobs..... the joys! :rolleyes:

I have my GTT test next week. Was tested last time,but didn't have GD. My baby was quite large, so they've scheduled another test as standard but I'm not expected to have it. I'm not looking forward to the test...drinking fizzy lucoxade on an empty stomach is not how I like to spend heavily pregnant hot mornings!

Does anyone else feel full term right about now? I don't know why, but suddenly I just feel huge and waddly! Only a couple a weeks ago I felt great, bought loads of maternity clothes and was celebrating my body. Now I just feel propelled way ahead of where I should be. Maybe it's the weeks of struggling with the heat, swelling up and the onset of heartburn for minor diet faux pas! Not to forget this growing baby ;)

Anyone else leaving the gender as a surprise regretting doing so? I think I would LOVE to know!! I guess that's all in the surprise though huh ladies ;)

Flipply, I feel like a whale..I keep thinking it's impossible to get any bigger but I keep growing! I can't put on shoes anymore, apart from the fact I've gone up one shoe size if I bend over I feel like I'm going to faint! I've been living in sandals.A lot of the maternity clothes I bought are even starting to feel tight around my tummy:( we are nearly there though! Meeting the little ones is what keeping me going!

We didn't find out gender and I kind of wish we did, but it's saving us a lot of money in buying girly or boy stuff like clothes etc. we are debating if we should ask at our next scan but tbh we are going to find out soon enough anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lisad90

Hi all. I am not in the "risk category" for gd so no test for me thank god. Having bloods done was panic enough for me as hate needles. I had my 2nd scan ladt tuesday in portiuncla. Was so disappointed. Scan was so quick and rushed and images were blurry. Asked to find out gender and said it was too early to tell... im 26 weeks :0. Booked for a 3d gender scan this Wednesday as I was so disappointed we didnt really get to see baby.

I had a 'baby doctor' appointment on thursday, unexpected cos I thought I was only going to the diabetes clinic.. have to say I was damn glad that this is my 5th and I know something. she measured my tummy at 28 weeks (I'm 26 weeks), but, she had the tape half way down my pubic bone which was too low and then asked me about my dates and how accurate I thought they were. I told her my dating scan was spot on with my dates she said 'Oh okay, they're usually more accurate!' Then went looking for the heartbeat, she was maybe 2 or 3 mins, then said nothing except 'I'll be back in a minute, I'm just going to get my registrar' .. cue panic from my partner and I just said to him, 'there's no panic, it was my heartbeat she was picking up.. the registrar came in and within seconds had baby's heartbeat picked up and I just said to her 'That was my pulse you were picking up ...' she smiled but looked a bit embarrassed, thing is If I was nervous or a first-timer she would have put the heart crossways in me.
    Anyway.. she'll know for next time.. baby was lying transverse so the kicks make sense now.. Back again in 2 weeks for more bloods and a scan..

• Advertisement

Jesus Cbryd, that sounds really stressful! You are lucky you know your stuff. Its people like that woman that have people like me up the walls with worry. We are always taught that Doctors are to be trusted but since getting pregnant myself, I know its best to question things if they don't seem right.

Advertisement