Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

racso1975 wrote: »
    Who?

Turlough O'Brien from what I hear. He was drafted in late this year to try help clueless Rainbow out, bit too late tho. Will have a clean run at it next year on his own. Did a good job with Eire Og and is respected within the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Stevecw wrote: »
    Turlough O'Brien from what I hear. He was drafted in late this year to try help clueless Rainbow out, bit too late tho. Will have a clean run at it next year on his own. Did a good job with Eire Og and is respected within the county.

He's the only Carlowman out there with a proven track record and available.

Hopefully it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

TaosHum wrote: »
    He's the only Carlowman out there with a proven track record and available.

Hopefully it happens.

Track record ? What would that be?

jimbo79 wrote: »
    Track record ? What would that be?

Has won Carlow Senior Championship with Eire Og along with numerous underage titles. Granted, not proven at inter-county level, but he has a good relationship with players (not just from Eire Og) and knows the inter-county set up after coming in to help Rainbow late last year. If you looking for a Carlow man who can get players back from the wilderness, then there's no-one better.

Looking like he won't be going for it anyway, so it's all academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Is Karl O'Dwyer still managing Old Leighlin? Would he be in the running?

• Advertisement

Is Karl O'Dwyer still managing Old Leighlin? Would he be in the running?

He is and doing a very good job. Can't say whether he would be interested or not, but if he then he would be in the shake up.

Mick Lillis would be in the same boat as O'Dwyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

He also had a year with county minors and did not get on to well. He did ok with Eire og but wasn't able to make an impact with them outside county. I'm not sure who I'd like to see in the job. I think first priority should be to see if we can get players to commit

• How's the club championships in both codes and all grades going in Carlow? What stage are ye at?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

St Mullins v Erin's own, and MLR v Miseal in the snr hurling semi finals on October 5th. Don't know where the football is at.

Erin's Own have hit form at the right time. Having beaten Miseal and drawn with St Mullins only last week, they will fancy their chances.

Haven't been impressed with MLR. Badly missing Dennis Murphy, not just for his free taking but is general play in the full forward line. The quality is still there though and I don't see them getting caught on the hop by Miseal again.

MLR vs Erin's Own final for me.

In the football, final week of group fixtures coming up, with the big game being Tinryland vs Palatine. Winner goes into Semi Final, but should be a cracking game based on what both sides have shown so far. Rathvilly should beat Kilbride tonight to at lease make the quarter finals.

In the other group, Old Leighlin will cement there place in the Semi Final with a win over MLR, who look bound for the relegation playoff. Eire Og have been awful so far and I doubt they can get it together after last weeks hammering by OL against a surprising Kildavin/Clonegal. Worst Eire Og side I have seen in years. Think we're looking at for the quarters:

Kildavin/Clonegal vs Rathvilly
    Palatine vs Eire Og

Tinryland & Old Leighlin into semis.

• Advertisement

Happy with the appointments of both Turlough O'Brien and Pat English. If John Allen and John O'Mahony take the advisory roles serious, then they will be a great help to both managers.

Despite you doubting me, I did tell you in my post on aug 11th that Turlough would be next Carlow Manager. If only bookies were taking bets on this!!
    Great choice I think, knows every player in the county at all levels. Only hope now that all players will commit to the county side for 2015.

Hurling same thing, got a guy in who knows Carlow Hurling better than most. Again, depends on whether we get a full turn out for committing to the County side. We are in 2A, with a full panel we should get back to at worst a play off v 1B.

I think we get the players to commit for the hurlers. I don't see anyone emulating MLR's fantastic run last season, so Pat should have a full panel to work from when they go back.

I think you will certainly see more footballers making the commitment with Turlough about, but there will still be the few that won't. I'd be happy if he can get more lads from Tinryland and Rathvilly to commit as well as some of the more notable absentees from the season gone. O'Brien seems to be targeting the league and he's right to do so.

Looking forward to hurling semis this weekend. I don't see MLR getting caught on the hop like they did earlier in the year against Naomh Eoin. Can see Bagenalstown continuing their recent good form and get a surprise win over St. Mullins.

The hurling semis this weekend will be 2 close games I think. MLR should sneak through, and I expect St Mullins to win too.

Draws for U-21 & minor Leinsters were done this week. For 1st time in 3 years our U-21 footballers don't have to face Dublin. An away game v Louth will be Willie Quinlans 1st Championship game in charge.
    Minors have Kilkenny 1st day out.

Hope Erin's Own do the bis on Sunday!

I'm neutral, being from an area with no senior club. Can't wait for the semis on Sunday. Reckon both games will be close and would not surprise me at all if Erins Own win. See the first co game of the New Year will be v Kilkenny in Walsh Cup. Welcome to co management Pat!! :) NUIG are other team in our handy group :(

Well I don't know what to say, very bad result for Erin's Own today

• Well I don't know what to say, very bad result for Erin's Own today

Id imagine they'll be kicking themselves now that MLR have been knocked out. Great sign perhaps for Carlow hurling that other clubs have decided that they want to make the breakthrough? Or have MLR gone back a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Erins Own failed to score in the 2nd half .............MLR seem to be suffering from a long hangover .

Another great battle in store between St Mullins / Myshall

• What about the football in Carlow? How is it progressing? Normally around this time of year Brian O'Donoghue used keep me well informed of things on the free paper but i havent got it that luxury this time around :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Id imagine they'll be kicking themselves now that MLR have been knocked out. Great sign perhaps for Carlow hurling that other clubs have decided that they want to make the breakthrough? Or have MLR gone back a little?

I was shocked meself too to see the Rangers knocked out, thought they would walk their way to it again this year but I hear they were missing their best man in Denis Murphy so that would have weakened their forwards a bit.

• pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I was shocked meself too to see the Rangers knocked out, thought they would walk their way to it again this year but I hear they were missing their best man in Denis Murphy so that would have weakened their forwards a bit.

Very true. To me i think though it seems another boost to Carlow hurling if other teams step up to the plate.

Very true. To me i think though it seems another boost to Carlow hurling if other teams step up to the plate.

Yeh would be great to see them do well in Leinster and the room is certainly there with Oulart beaten in Wexford. I would hope Naomh Eoin win it out now especially after claiming the scalp of Rangers.

All I hope now is that they are kept apart from the winners of our Senior Championship in Kilkenny in Leinster which in my opinion will be either Ballyhale, Clara or O Loughlin Gaels

• pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Yeh would be great to see them do well in Leinster and the room is certainly there with Oulart beaten in Wexford. I would hope Naomh Eoin win it out now especially after claiming the scalp of Rangers.

All I hope now is that they are kept apart from the winners of our Senior Championship in Kilkenny in Leinster which in my opinion will be either Ballyhale, Clara or O Loughlin Gaels

Kilcormac or St Rynaghs wont be easy either id say.

Kilcormac or St Rynaghs wont be easy either id say.

I agree they certainly wont be easily especially Kilcormac who have history in the competition

Was sad to see Bagenalstown collapse like they did. Started off so well, were 5 points in front after 20 but that was as good as it got for them.

The goal just after the half I think was what broke them. Heads went after that and lads started getting needlessly sent off. They are better than what they showed today.

I'm not too surprised Myshall beat MLR. Was similar to the game earlier in the year. Myshall were stronger physically and had more bite in the forwards. But had Denis Murphy been on the field MLR probably scrape by. Free taking has been an issue all year for Ranger with Murphy out.

Myshall the favourites for me but St. Mullins will be hoping to redeem themselves having got humiliated last year by MLR. Should be good.

Erin's own let themselves down today, but didn't deserve to be in a final when you don't score for 45mins.

Fiar play to Rathvilly on the county Championship win on Sunday. I honestly didn't see a championship in that team at the start of the year, but the 5 week break seemed to have allowed them to get their act together. The Rathvilly full forward line was the difference in the end as they exploited Old Leighlins weakness in the full back line to great affect. Hopefully they can continue their good form into Leinster and pick up a win against Rathnew.

Great to see Tinryland finally win a minor. They could dominate that code for years to come now that they have that monkey off their back.

Hurling final this weekend. I'd have Naomh Eoin as slight favorites, but I'm expecting a very close run contest. St. Mullins will be hoping to atone for their poor performance in last years Championship final.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Hello Carlow men and women, I am from across the border but if you like hurling you might enjoy this. I just uploaded a video on to YouTube with a little song I wrote and recorded with the help of a friend here across the water, it's called "up for the match - Kilkenny hurling song" it's a bit of a giggle, we are not musicians, but hope it gets a few laughs! I wrote it after the drawn game, I could probably put another verse about the replay on now but anyway enjoy and pass it on if you like it!

• Advertisement

2 very enjoyable games in DCP on Sunday. Pal put up a decent fight against Tinryland but they were by far the better side. Finally they won one. I reckon if EO had beaten Pal in SF, that Tinryland might have lost to EO somehow.

Senior final was great, best one in years. Delighted to see Rathvilly win. JJ Smith was class and please god he is back with co team for next year. Bren Murph was obviously not fit, and taking him off made sense.

Hope he is ok for 2 weeks time in Aughrim. Apart from Eire Og we haven't had a Carlow club win a game in leinster club in ages.

Advertisement