Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    That was a very good Westmeath team. Would not surprise me one bit if they go on to win leinster. Westmeath would certainly have beaten my own county Kilkenny tonight and hammered them at that. Our u21 team is just a shambles

Jesus im shocked at how the well has dried in Kilkenny although ye have had an unbelievable run and ye were missing lads tonight tbf.

Also that all said it could all change for some of those lads once Cody gets them to train with the seniors down the line. Sure even Henry Shefflin wasnt highly rated as a minor iirc?

Would be great to see Westmeath go on and win Leinster or at least run it close. They actually gave that same Kilkenny team a bit of a fright at minor a few years back iirc.

As for Carlow, its unfortunate the way things have panned out after such a promising start to the hurling year with Mt Leinster and the county's form in 2A coupled with their win over Dublin around this time last year, although I may not be giving Westmeath enough credit.

Hoping that Carlow, Westmeath, Laois and even Kildare can go on and upset the old order in the future and that even Kerry can progress to a certain degree in Munster.

Of course they are doing it against all of the odds as the snobs running hurling are not making it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Jesus im shocked at how the well has dried in Kilkenny although ye have had an unbelievable run and ye were missing lads tonight tbf.

Also that all said it could all change for some of those lads once Cody gets them to train with the seniors down the line. Sure even Henry Shefflin wasnt highly rated as a minor iirc?

Would be great to see Westmeath go on and win Leinster or at least run it close. They actually gave that same Kilkenny team a bit of a fright at minor a few years back iirc.

As for Carlow, its unfortunate the way things have panned out after such a promising start to the hurling year with Mt Leinster and the county's form in 2A coupled with their win over Dublin around this time last year, although I may not be giving Westmeath enough credit.

Hoping that Carlow, Westmeath, Laois and even Kildare can go on and upset the old order in the future and that even Kerry can progress to a certain degree in Munster.

Of course they are doing it against all of the odds as the snobs running hurling are not making it easy.

Yeh but the reason is we have taken our eye of the ball simple as, we have been passed out at underage level but that team tonight was as poor a Kilkenny team we will ever see.

Yes we were missing three but to be fair I dont think they would have made much difference, these lads were all playing when we were beaten by limerick by 14 pts in a challenge game 2 weeks ago. One of the lads missing was our outstanding player Kevin Kelly. Keep an eye out for him, hes one to watch.

Being honest I dont see how it will change. The vast majority of these lads simply havent got the ability. I can only name two who played well, our full back is one and he was one of the players we have unearthed who didnt play minor, he dealt with Conor McDonald very well and TJ Reids younger brother Richie. That was it. The rest just dont have the ability. Our forwards couldnt even win their own ball and the lack of skill and tactical awareness was really alarming for a county like us. We have no god given right to win underage titles but jesus getting humiliated is not right for a county like Kilkenny and really goes to show that there is something fundamentally wrong. The "key" players on that team from minor have also failed to progress or improve and have gone backwards if anything. Its worrying times. We have had bad underage teams in the past but none getting embarassed to this extent or none to the extent where we didnt have a few prospects on it.

Westmeath are a good team and obviously they have progressed whereas we didnt and I reckon they really would have hammered us tonight. Most of them lads would be playing Senior for westmeath too.

I agree would be great to see the likes of CArlow who i have strong links with myself and other weaker counties progressing. I would hope that the funding the GAA provides them will help them close the gap that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Sad to see a bad year for Carlow hurling get even worse, but we were totally outclassed last night. That is a quality Westmeath team though, and I stuck money on them at 12/1 to win Leinster. Now into 10/1 I see, so must be a few on it.

Carlow hurling is going backwards it seems, seniors had a horrible year, minors getting well beaten by Offaly and hammered by Kilkenny, and now 21s losing badly to Westmeath.

Meyler is stepping down too as senior boss from what I hear, no real surprise there. Hopefully co board can convince Tom Mullally to take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Just over a week till your showdown with Meath. What's the feeling in Carlow about this? Easy win for Meath or possible Tullamore 2012 repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

iDave wrote: »
    Just over a week till your showdown with Meath. What's the feeling in Carlow about this? Easy win for Meath or possible Tullamore 2012 repeat?

Carlow will probably have 12/13 men behind the ball and hope to keep the score down. With DCP being a small pitch, it will frustrate Meath for a while, but they will run out easy winners in the end. Carlow will need to make the most of when they have the ball and get it into the hands of Paul Broderick.

By all accounts, they are training well and the players have been playing Div 1 football for their clubs up until last week, so they should be ready physically. Not being able to get a challenge game will hurt them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Anybody here been a cul camps coach or have any idea of the current pay?

iDave wrote: »

No chance of a Tullamore 1st day out repeat. It will be a lot more like the replay only much much worse. Meath have played Cork and Kerry recently in challenges, also bet Sligo by 19 points. Carlow have had no games, except for A v B where lads had to be drafted in from clubs to make up numbers.

Home advantage means nothing as Meath will easily outnumber the home support.

I would expect at least a 15 point defeat, would be shocked if it was any less than that.

Hopefully I am wrong and the lads can somehow pull out an amazing performance from somewhere, and run Meath close but cannot see it happening.

I'd guess at a score of about Meath 5-19 Carlow 1-10

^^^^^^ Seems you over estimated Carlow and underestimated meath. More goals then points is a true embarrassing reflection of our lack of football ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

Stevecw wrote: »
    No chance of a Tullamore 1st day out repeat. It will be a lot more like the replay only much much worse. Meath have played Cork and Kerry recently in challenges, also bet Sligo by 19 points. Carlow have had no games, except for A v B where lads had to be drafted in from clubs to make up numbers.

Home advantage means nothing as Meath will easily outnumber the home support.

I would expect at least a 15 point defeat, would be shocked if it was any less than that.

Hopefully I am wrong and the lads can somehow pull out an amazing performance from somewhere, and run Meath close but cannot see it happening.

I'd guess at a score of about Meath 5-19 Carlow 1-10

What's the feeling in the county for the upcoming game v Waterford? Has morale been lifted any from the Meath game?

What's the feeling in the county for the upcoming game v Waterford? Has morale been lifted any from the Meath game?

Pretty low. The Meath drubbing destroyed whatever confidence was there.

But if the lads can start well and build confidence in the process, then a result might be there for them. But I'm expecting a Waterford win by 6/10 points.

All I'm really hoping for is a positive reaction from Carlow and being actually able to compete.

• Advertisement

Well done on a hard fought win earlier tonight guys. At least ye get a third outing and the third game might bring ye on a bit. Hopefully the draw will be kind to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Well done on a hard fought win earlier tonight guys. At least ye get a third outing and the third game might bring ye on a bit. Hopefully the draw will be kind to ye.

I would like a trip down to Carlow for Roscommon.
    Have we ever played in Championship?

Huge credit to everyone involved with the panel for yesterday's win. Coming off a hiding against Meath and with no Paul Broderick, the lads really stepped up and got a deserved win.

Some really good performances yesterday, but not fair to name certain lads as it was a very good team performance. Delighted for Rainbow as he has had it very tough over the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

TaosHum wrote: »
    Huge credit to everyone involved with the panel for yesterday's win. Coming off a hiding against Meath and with no Paul Broderick, the lads really stepped up and got a deserved win.

Some really good performances yesterday, but not fair to name certain lads as it was a very good team performance. Delighted for Rainbow as he has had it very tough over the past couple of years.

great win for Carlow yesterday. Was Paul Broderick injured?

Gael85 wrote: »
    great win for Carlow yesterday. Was Paul Broderick injured?

Yeah he is injured. Hopefully he is back for the next day

Couldn't have asked for a better draw in Clare. With the game in Carlow and tails up after the Waterford game, confidence will be high.

Superb win for the lads on Saturday. Delighted for every one of the players on that panel, they deserved that victory. We all know it's a long way from being the best 25 players in the county but they are the ones who stuck at it, unlike those who didn't bother playing/dropped off during the league.

Huge determination & effort throughout and doing whatever it took not to be beaten in the last couple of minutes showed how much it meant to them.

In all honesty we should have won that game a lot easier than we did. The 1st half was very low standard stuff by both sides, and while we owned the ball it seemed like forwards were terrified to have a go at the posts after a few early wides/kicks dropping short.

Was fearing the worst after we gave away such a soft goal, and then Waterford kicked over the 1st point of 2nd half.

Whatever it was, after that the lads were inspired for a spell where we completely dominated and kicked a few great scores, some from very unlikely scorers too!

Nervy finish, but Ledgers amazing point was vital and how good was it to see him back to form on long range frees.

Huge win for Carlow football, and the noise and the standing ovation the few of us who were there gave them showed how much it meant.

The best possible outcome of this mornings draw was a home game vs Clare and that's what we got, so who knows this might be the most unlikely of extended summers for Carlow football!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

we in clare would be fairly happy with the draw ourselves not because its carlow but its not tyrone , the way the draw works out this year the winners of this tie would probably fancy there chances against any of the 2A teams in round 3

a win in championship is massive no matter who it is against , and after hearing about the standing ovation at the end yer guys are going to be flying for the next 10 days in training, that win against waterford saterday was a massive tonic for a county that has had an awful year in the league , and less said about the meath game the better, i think every one is delighted for antony rainbow for sticking through the tough times, many more would have walked

we also have had the same problem for years with players refusing to play for the county , very frustrating when you know how good your team could be if they bothered, after appointing a new manager late last year we finally got someone in that was able to get his strongest panel together from within the county , and after a good league and running kerry close last week we look like we have turned a corner

we would feel that a good year would end on a low note if we dont win saterday week , we will be without the two collins brothers if the clare hurlers win next week against wexford which will be another boost for ye ,

it wont be easy going to dr cullen park for us next week , if ye do win it should give ye the confidence to kick on next year in the league, i was surprised how far ye had falling back this year because of the many close encounters we have had in the recent past and i expect this will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Sad day for Carlow football yesterday. For me this was so much worse than the Meath game.

This was us being destroyed by what was this year a fellow Div 4 side at home. Shocking team selection again, crazy subs being made. To take off Lawlor & Kinsella early and leave on certain players who I won't name but have been terrible in every game.

We made Clare look like Dublin, they cut through us at will. They won every kick out they had mainly because 99% of theirs were short to an unmarked back. Lost count of how many points they got from short kick outs and a few seconds later the ball is over the bar, without a Carlow player getting near them.

Our kick outs were the opposite, lots of weirdly looping kicks that usually dropped into a Clare half forwards hands, and they scored or worked a score.

That has to be the end of Rainbow, who as always just stood there arms folded and offered no encouragement or anything.

It's as low as Carlow football has ever been and it's sad to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Sad day for Carlow football yesterday. For me this was so much worse than the Meath game.

This was us being destroyed by what was this year a fellow Div 4 side at home. Shocking team selection again, crazy subs being made. To take off Lawlor & Kinsella early and leave on certain players who I won't name but have been terrible in every game.

We made Clare look like Dublin, they cut through us at will. They won every kick out they had mainly because 99% of theirs were short to an unmarked back. Lost count of how many points they got from short kick outs and a few seconds later the ball is over the bar, without a Carlow player getting near them.

Our kick outs were the opposite, lots of weirdly looping kicks that usually dropped into a Clare half forwards hands, and they scored or worked a score.

That has to be the end of Rainbow, who as always just stood there arms folded and offered no encouragement or anything.

1 thing is that I would say that Clare looked far far fitter than you would normally expect from a Division 4 team from their game against Kerry - even right at the end Clare were still going and got the last 2 points of the game. Coming off the back of a good "loss" to Kerry would have surely lead to massive positive morale in the Clare camp as well.

Cant comment on much else but don't be surprised if Kildare get a bit of a shock the next day out.

Still and all though i have to say that 2-13 was good scoring so there is something there to build on at least. I would have thought that Rainbow being young, hungry and with a point to prove would have been ideal for Carlow but perhaps they might respond to a local better? The likes of a Jonny Nevin or a Mark Carpenter perhaps?

For as bad as Carlow were, Clare were very good. They were very quick with their kick outs or when the ball went dead, which caught Carlow off guard and they had no answer for it. Also, Clare where able to get space from the kickouts because Carlow were trying (in vain) to compete in midfield. They were also fitter and sharper than Carlow.

That Clare side was only beaten by four by Kerry, so they are a dangerous side. From what I saw, they are also a better side than Meath, although Meath never needed to get out of 2nd gear in DCP.

I think we all got carried away with the win against Waterford, that's what makes the defeat hard to take.

For as bad as Carlow were, Clare were very good. They were very quick with their kick outs or when the ball went dead, which caught Carlow off guard and they had no answer for it. Also, Clare where able to get space from the kickouts because Carlow were trying (in vain) to compete in midfield. They were also fitter and sharper than Carlow.

That Clare side was only beaten by four by Kerry, so they are a dangerous side. From what I saw, they are also a better side than Meath, although Meath never needed to get out of 2nd gear in DCP.

I think we all got carried away with the win against Waterford, that's what makes the defeat hard to take.

The two hardest games that Tipperary have played this year (other than the Cork game) have arguably been against Clare in the league. I seen them play us at Semple and they look a real dogged side.

Clare were excellent, I should have said that in my last post. They were a class above us in every area and scored more than Meath did against us. They scored 26 points and could have matched Meaths 7 goals easily, the peno save and a couple of 3 on 2's where they just took the point instead. The big worry for them is they look weak at the back, for our limited forwards to get 2-13 has to be a worry for them.

Kildare will have a seriously tough job getting out of ennis with a win, i'll be sticking a few quid on Clare that day.

As for Carlow, well despite the Waterford win that has to go down as our worst year ever. Bottom of Div 4, losing by 28 points to Meath and 19 points to Clare both at home. Most of our better players decided not to get involved or walked off during the year. I can't remember things being as bad as this ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Keep this up and we will be joining Kilkenny and be playing our football in England !

Anthony rainbow has stepped down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

racso1975 wrote: »
    Anthony rainbow has stepped down

He had to go in all fairness,Now a new manager is needed to bring the best players in Carlow together again.

I think they will have to bite the bullet and bring in a top class proven manager who players will jump to play with.

When Micko landed in Wicklow over 100 players showed up for trials the first night.

Something similar needs to happen in Carlow IMO

Great to see Rainbow gone. Should have happened after last year. Next man in will be a Carlow man.

• Advertisement

Great to see Rainbow gone. Should have happened after last year. Next man in will be a Carlow man.

Who?

Advertisement