Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow GAA Discussion Thread

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Was a great performance and a testament to the progression this team has made under Colm Bonner. Chris Nolan really stood out and caused Westmeath huge problems. Nolan and Byrne from the puckouts won so much ball and were the focal points of the attack.

Well deserved crack at Limerick on Saturday to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Not a good start to championship season, but can't abuse ref and expect nothing to happen. Wonder if a Dublin or Kerry manager would of got the same punishment ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Davy Fitzgerald got his ban reduced from twelve weeks to four every match he goes out he and his mentors give it full socks to officals.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I was at the game in question. Whilst there is no doubt that Turlogh et al crossed a line, there is also no doubt in my mind that it was one of the worst ref's performances I have ever seen in almost 40 years of watching matches. The ref knew he had panicked and cocked up at the end. Little doubt in my mind that the ref should never be allowed near another inter-county match again as he is not up to it but you also have to blame the assessors who thought he was up to it and the training of refs as well. However the GAA will do nothing about that.

I've reffed the odd blitz in the past and its not easy at that level and I can't imagine what it is like at intercounty level but this guy simply isn't good enough.

Hopefully the appeal will reduce the bans and even if it doesn't what major impact does it really have. Turlogh and Poacher can easily sit at the back of a stand on a mobile phone and I'm surprised more coaches don't do the same like they do in Rugby. Brendan Murphy is the real big loss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

At least this Carlow rising has been burst. Back to division 4 with them. Some of the antics from Poacher and O'Brien have been sickening. People like an underdog but not when they behave like filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

At least this Carlow rising has been burst. Back to division 4 with them. Some of the antics from Poacher and O'Brien have been sickening. People like an underdog but not when they behave like filth.

One of the Laois boys snook into the forum :)

One of the Laois boys snook into the forum :)

And why not? After kicking you back to where you belong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

And why not? After kicking you back to where you belong. :D

You sound like a person with a chip on both shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I was at the game in question. Whilst there is no doubt that Turlogh et al crossed a line, there is also no doubt in my mind that it was one of the worst ref's performances I have ever seen in almost 40 years of watching matches. The ref knew he had panicked and cocked up at the end. Little doubt in my mind that the ref should never be allowed near another inter-county match again as he is not up to it but you also have to blame the assessors who thought he was up to it and the training of refs as well. However the GAA will do nothing about that.

I've reffed the odd blitz in the past and its not easy at that level and I can't imagine what it is like at intercounty level but this guy simply isn't good enough.

Hopefully the appeal will reduce the bans and even if it doesn't what major impact does it really have. Turlogh and Poacher can easily sit at the back of a stand on a mobile phone and I'm surprised more coaches don't do the same like they do in Rugby. Brendan Murphy is the real big loss
    Ref making mistake like that doesnt mean they should never be at inter county level again.
    A mobile phone would be pain you just need a basic comms set and have the people pitchside all micced up to coach in stand who can give them instructions/directions for players

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »
    You sound like a person with a chip on both shoulders.

Just happy that the toxic football Carlow play has sent them back to division 4. Everyone who's played them is delighted with this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

having seen the video of the phantom free at the end and the behaviour of the mentors and players, the suspension is fully justified. All this talk of you wouldnt see the big counties get that ban, you also wouldnt get Jim Gavin or Peter Keane sprint 100m to get into the refs face and scream abuse and not let him off the field of play.

No one likes it when referees perform poorly, but there are ways to react, and the reaction here was fully deserving of a suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭big_drive

Only seen the video today. Well deserved suspensions , nothing justifies that carry on. Even if it was the worst display of refing in history of gaa it was out of order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Not a good start to championship season, but can't abuse ref and expect nothing to happen. Wonder if a Dublin or Kerry manager would of got the same punishment ?

They'd get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Huge game on Sunday for the hurlers against Kilkenny. Should be such a great occasion, it's the kind of day the players who have battled their way up from Christy Ring to Joe McDonagh cup wins to finally be at the top table deserve.
    Was over in Galway last weekend and what a performance they put in away to a team that have been in last 2 All Ireland finals! No reason at all at home even though I'm sure we will be outnumbered in the stand & terraces we can't put up a great performance again and see where it takes us.
    I remember only a couple of years ago talking to friends on the panel and they were saying Carlow wanted to get challenge games in before championship. Tipp, Wexford & Kilkenny all said no & offered games v their Intermediates or U-21 sides instead. Only Waterford from the top tier actually did play us.
    Kilkenny overall tho have been good to Carlow hurling, and have let our teams into their leagues which has helped a lot. Hard to run a proper league here with only 4 senior teams!
    I can't wait for Sunday, and great that minors are on before it too v Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Stevecw wrote: »
    Huge game on Sunday for the hurlers against Kilkenny. Should be such a great occasion, it's the kind of day the players who have battled their way up from Christy Ring to Joe McDonagh cup wins to finally be at the top table deserve.
    Was over in Galway last weekend and what a performance they put in away to a team that have been in last 2 All Ireland finals! No reason at all at home even though I'm sure we will be outnumbered in the stand & terraces we can't put up a great performance again and see where it takes us.
    I remember only a couple of years ago talking to friends on the panel and they were saying Carlow wanted to get challenge games in before championship. Tipp, Wexford & Kilkenny all said no & offered games v their Intermediates or U-21 sides instead. Only Waterford from the top tier actually did play us.
    Kilkenny overall tho have been good to Carlow hurling, and have let our teams into their leagues which has helped a lot. Hard to run a proper league here with only 4 senior teams!
    I can't wait for Sunday, and great that minors are on before it too v Westmeath.

Really looking forward to the game myself tomorrow, hoping it’ll be a good show from both sides. As someone heading into the terrace, any advice on what time would be best to arrive? Do you reckon a lot will go in for the minor match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

laneykin wrote:
    Really looking forward to the game myself tomorrow, hoping it’ll be a good show from both sides. As someone heading into the terrace, any advice on what time would be best to arrive? Do you reckon a lot will go in for the minor match?

Won't be a big crowd at the minor I'd say. Kilkenny not involved so they'll only be arriving in time for the senior game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

laneykin wrote: »

Can't see too many being there for the minor match. People with stand tickets probably will to get best seats, but would say terrace will only start filling up about 2.30 or so. The queue for tickets might be long any later than that tho, if you haven't got them already.

Just so everyone is clear on the truth of this Carlow rising and why we should all be delighted their bubble has been burst. Here's their coach Poacher on off the ball yesterday:

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1132559495106682885

All great stuff. Sweet, innocent, Carlow are being picked on. They've done nothing wrong. Here's the video of the incident in question:

As you can see, they were just having a chat with the ref and were telling him what a good game he had. Any team that has played them can attest to the tactics employed by their coach to gain an advantage. I'm not just talking about their ultra defensive game plan but Poacher himself running onto the field to abuse players, block space for quick kick outs etc. That's why he is so angry, he didn't get a chance to do that yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Just so everyone is clear on the truth of this Carlow rising and why we should all be delighted their bubble has been burst. Here's their coach Poacher on off the ball yesterday:

All great stuff. Sweet, innocent, Carlow are being picked on. They've done nothing wrong. Here's the video of the incident in question:

As you can see, they were just having a chat with the ref and were telling him what a good game he had. Any team that has played them can attest to the tactics employed by their coach to gain an advantage. I'm not just talking about their ultra defensive game plan but Poacher himself running onto the field to abuse players, block space for quick kick outs etc. That's why he is so angry, he didn't get a chance to do that yesterday.

Karma for their reaction to Connolly’s hand on the shoulder 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bit harsh, especially on the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Did anyone happen to record Ed Finnegan's goal against Palatine by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Very impressed with Palatine on Saturday night. I'd give them every chance at home to Portarlington on Sunday week. Couple of very lively forwards.

Advertisement