Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for 900 euro

Options
  • 04-03-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hello I am new to this and a pre-built PC would probably be easier but am willing to try build it myself.
    Budget is around 900 and would be for gaming and rendering quickly enough e.g BF4 with high-ultra settings at 60+fps. Would like a SSD and HDD. Graphics card and CPU preferably AMD.

1. What is your budget? [€900]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/general usage]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Mouse+ Keyboard ( nothing too expensive)]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes(not in the near future though)]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next month]

Any suggestions are grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Bump

Bump

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Here a build, which was posted by marco_polo in an earlier thread. You could downgrade the SSD and HD (to a 128gb SSD and 1tb HD) to give you enough money for a monitor and a copy of Windows.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    ...the FX 8320 is a decent multitasking CPU as well, although ideally I'd have a CPU cooler in there and persuade you to overclock it a little bit ;), as that is when it becomes really good value.

Item|Price
    Thermaltake V4 Black Edition ohne Netzteil|€37.72
    XFX PRO550W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply|€53.43
    ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX|€66.14
    2 x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€72.16
    AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€132.59
    MSI R9 270 GAMING 2G, AMD Radeon R9 270, 2GB DDR5|€159.43
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s|€139.99
    Seagate SV35 2TB SATA 6Gb's|€83.04
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€16.11
    ASUS PCE-N15|€14.90
    Akasa AK-ICR-07 Interner 6-Port Card Reader 8,89cm (3,5") , schwarz|€9.99
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€804.49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Kiith wrote: »
    Here a build, which was posted by marco_polo in an earlier thread. You could downgrade the SSD and HD (to a 128gb SSD and 1tb HD) to give you enough money for a monitor and a copy of Windows.

Drop the 250 ssd down to a 120 gb 72 euro. (this will help cover cost of windows with using Geizhals on parts will make the extra savings)

AMD be more ideal for bf4 mantel and all that. But supplies are very limited.

I'd drop the HDD from 2tb to one (50 euro)
    Put that remainder 30 euro into a corsair 300r case approx 60 euro.

Corsair low profile 8 gig ram 69 euro.( using Geizhals and run all parts through it)

Spend the left over 100 euro on a decent cooled AMD R9 280x or a gtx 770.( you said want high settings high fps)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I only suggests these changes for your pc use,because as it stands you will have a computer with a lot of HDD/ssd memory. But a midrange card getting.

This way its a high end card and still an ssd and plenty of HDD memory. And a better case. More geared for gaming.

• Advertisement

I can bump the budget to €1000 euro if this makes much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Does it have to be amd? The problem is the 280x is overpriced and out of stock because of crypto currency mining. The 290 is a bit over budget.

With your budget I'd go for this. Leaves enough to get a decent keyboard elsewhere.

Prices were got using www.geizhals.de

Item|Price
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD|€27.88
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€60.85
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€48.00
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€73.06
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€88.30
    ASUS GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5, GeForce GTX 760, 2GB GDDR5|€209.56
    Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse|€22.69
    Sharkoon Fire Glider Gaming Mat|€7.49
    Samsung SH-224DB schwarz|€12.67
    LogiLink SATA 0.9m Kabel mit Sicherungslasche,|€1.24
    Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Bx, LGA1150|€204.95
    ASRock B85M Pro4, Sockel 1150, mATX|€55.21
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Define Mini|€76.99
    Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W|€62.49
    Shipping|€12.99
    Total|€964.37

I would like to be able to use mantle in battlefield and thats only for amd. If you Google the 280x it says amd are relaunching it to make it cheaper or something.

Monitor is probably going to be 1080 or 1440 if it fits the budget. I want this build to have high settings at 60+ fps for the next two years with no upgrades.
    Edit: The 290 looks like it would be overkill as the 280x toxic is on HWVS at 260 euro's.

• Advertisement

Go 1080p then. The 290 will blitz games at that res for a few years.

Monitor is probably going to be 1080 or 1440 if it fits the budget. I want this build to have high settings at 60+ fps for the next two years with no upgrades.
    Edit: The 290 looks like it would be overkill as the 280x toxic is on HWVS at 260 euro's.

It's €300 and out of stock from what I can see.

You're not going to get a cheap 280x anywhere. The price is artificially inflated because it's the most popular card for crypto currency miners. If you look on HWVS they are practically all out of stock.

A 290 with a good cooler for a little over €350 is a bargain. I'd jump on the bandwagon quick before the cryptos do. I can see the 290 being the new go to card at those prices.

How does crossfire work as I see that two r9 270's cost less than the 290 so it would be 4gb Gddr5 in either option. As I have said I an new to this stuff so correct me if I am being stupid please :D

Oh and what is the difference between the sapphire version and gigabyte version etc. as they are all different prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

You have 90 days as well to activate a free version of windows so that could knock 90 off the build if you could pay that within three months.

How does crossfire work as I see that two r9 270's cost less than the 290 so it would be 4gb Gddr5 in either option. As I have said I an new to this stuff so correct me if I am being stupid please :D

It doesn't work like that. It would still only be 2gb of ram as they can't share memory so they both need to store the same data. 2gb is loads for 1080p though.

A pair of 270's would be a good option as well. Crossfire isn't perfect but as long as you keep your driver updated you should be fine for most games. You would have to get a board that supports proper x8/x8 crossfire though.

Maybe a change to an atx board and case then as well.

So would two 270s be better than a 280x or 290?
    And would I need a better psu for crossfire?

In most cases yes but crossfire is hit and miss, mainly hit though these days.

There's a review here on the Sapphire 270x toxic in crossfire here.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5984/sapphire-radeon-r9-270x-2gb-toxic-video-cards-in-crossfire/index.html

It will use more power yes. I'd say a 700w psu would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I would go for a single 290. The reason being is IF in a few months or year you want to upgrade your rig you can add another 290 for crossfire whereas if you got 270x crossfire and want to upgrade there be no real point going tri or quad crossfire. You would have to sell the 270s and then purchase 2 290s.

Thats my take on things, always go for the best single card you can afford as you never know when you might get the upgrade itch.

What do you think about the Gigabyte R9 270x OC 4gb version?
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-134-GI&tool=3
    works out at around 220 - 230 euro's.

• Advertisement

A waste of money. You only need large amounts of memory for higher resolutions which that card would struggle with regardless of memory.

2gb is plenty for 1080p.

Would it be best to wait to see if gfx cards come down in price?
    I have decided on the AMD fx-8350 as the cpu. Oh and would the cooler master 212 evo be good enough for overclocking it?

Graphics card prices aren't going to change much. Yo can already get a good 270 for 145, a 760 gtx for 210 and a 290 for 355. These prices are already incredibly low. Only the 280x's are poor value at the moment and only because the 290 is so close in price.

I wouldn't get an 8350 personally. You can get a xeon for the same money if you take into account the board + psu.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Graphics card prices aren't going to change much. Yo can already get a good 270 for 145, a 760 gtx for 210 and a 290 for 355. These prices are already incredibly low. Only the 280x's are poor value at the moment and only because the 290 is so close in price.

I wouldn't get an 8350 personally. You can get a xeon for the same money if you take into account the board + psu.

I haven't heard much about them xeons, are you sure they would be better than a octa-core 4.0 ghz unlocked cpu?
    And a 290 wouldn't fit the budget as I am trying to get everything for a grand including monitor and mouse+ k/b

The xeon listed earlier is basically the same as an i7 4770 only it can't be overclocked and has no igp.

It would smoke the 8350 in most apps while using less than half of the power.

Saying that I think an i5 4440/4570 is more than good enough for a gaming pc for at least 5 years. It also means you can get a cheaper board and power supply as well as using less electricity.

Get a 760 gtx then. The asus one can be got for 210.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

BloodBath wrote: »
    The xeon listed earlier is basically the same as an i7 4770 only it can't be overclocked and has no igp.

It would smoke the 8350 in most apps while using less than half of the power.

Saying that I think an i5 4440/4570 is more than good enough for a gaming pc for at least 5 years. It also means you can get a cheaper board and power supply as well as using less electricity.

Get a 760 gtx then. The asus one can be got for 210.

I presume you can turn off Hyper Threading if it is interfering with the efficiency of the processor, as I heard this can happen. Do you know if all the cores of the Xeon can be set to max turbo speed of 3.7 Ghz or just one core as I read somewhere this could be an limitation? I know the Xeon is probably over kill but its so cheap when compared to an i7 or even an i5 its tempting.

Haven't heard of HT interfering with anything to be honest. There is a lot of disinformation out there. HT will boost the performance of any program that uses more than 4 threads and will do nothing to ones that use less. It can be disabled though.

Not sure about boosting the turbo clock to be honest. I don't see why not. Down to whether the board has that feature or not.

It's a solid choice but if you're trying to squeeze a monitor into the budget as well I don't see how you're going to do that.

The only way you can do that is by combining the 2 builds I listed. Pretty much the same as the first but using a 4440 instead of the xeon, dropping the 212 evo and going with the cheaper ssd and cheaper case.

That will free up enough to get a decent 1080p ips monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I think you got me mixed up with DERPY DERFACE. Probably shouldn't be confusing the situation, sorry. Thanks.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Time for bed maybe :)

• Advertisement

Amd are launching the r9 280 and I'm gonna try and get one cheap before the price gets driven up by miners.

Advertisement