Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men who agree with corporal punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No one is saying that tantrums are unheard of in families that use corporal punishment but I can only imagine we don't see as much of it
    You can imagine anything you like, but the reality is that a smack is not effective to stop or avoid a tantrum. Most parents have been driven to try it at one time or another, and they will tell you that it doesn't work. It goes like this:

1. Child has tantrum.
    2. Frustrated parent slaps child.
    3. Shocked silence for up to 15 seconds
    4. Child continues tantrum but much, much more loudly, with added notes of outrage and resentment.

You can stop an individual tantrum only by giving in to whatever the child wants, which for obvious reasons is not a good strategy. Failing that, you let it play itself out. If it happens at home and it's safe to do so, leave the child alone by, e.g., leaving the room. Withdrawal of your attention or presence or both is the most effective sanction. I appreciate that this is difficult to do in the supermarket, where your child's behaviour may embarrass you, but it's the only thing that works.

You stop tantrum behaviour (only over time, unfortunately) by consistently ignoring tantrums. Consistency is very important. Tantrums are attention-seeking behaviour, and even hostile attention - like smacking - tends to reinforce tantrum behavour, not correct it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 kellaman123

All I will say is that when I was a kid I was at times a little bollox and hard to control. There was no corner time, there was no naughty step, there was no isolation. My dad had a belt and he wasn't afraid to use it. Believe me that stopped my tantruming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

All I will say is that when I was a kid I was at times a little bollox and hard to control. There was no corner time, there was no naughty step, there was no isolation. My dad had a belt and he wasn't afraid to use it. Believe me that stopped my tantruming.

Most modern parents don't want their children to grow up afraid of them. Do you have kids?

eviltwin wrote: »
    Most modern parents don't want their children to grow up afraid of them. Do you have kids?

No I don't have kids but I think that's irrelevant. I certainly didn't grow up afraid of my dad but I knew there were consequences for bad behaviour

No I don't have kids but I think that's irrelevant. I certainly didn't grow up afraid of my dad but I knew there were consequences for bad behaviour

well if you don't have kids you haven't a clue what is involved in raising or disciplining one. Everyone thinks they will be different, they will not be one of those parents with a little brat having a tantrum, that is what kids do though and its easy to judge when you know nothing about the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

any parent who has to resort to beating their child in order to stop a tantrum should consider themselves unfit parents.

I was never beaten as a child, my children never have been either.

I've also never been in a fist fight, never had trouble with the police and make sure my children are polite and educated. The contrast with an old friend who's father used to hit him is astonishing. He hits his children, has a terrible temper and has been in legal trouble as a result more than once. EDIT the trouble is for fights at the pub etc, not hitting his kids.

if you hit your child, you are failing them. Anyone who comes up with "sure my da hit me and I'm grand" is lying to themselves.

And those parents like to say they are their child's best friend.
    Lol

Lol

no, I don't want to be my childs best friend, I'm their parent but nor do I want them afraid of me. I've never hit my children, there are other ways to discipline that don't involve violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Lol

trying to be a childs best friend is equally bad for them. I find it amazing that Irish people think the only way to discipline a child is to beat them. Such backward thinking.

trying to be a childs best friend is equally bad for them. I find it amazing that Irish people think the only way to discipline a child is to beat them. Such backward thinking.

Some parents wouldn't even change their tone of voice when dealing with a bold child.
    Anyone who beats their child isn't a parent, but a lunatic.

• Advertisement

well if you don't have kids you haven't a clue what is involved in raising or disciplining one. Everyone thinks they will be different, they will not be one of those parents with a little brat having a tantrum, that is what kids do though and its easy to judge when you know nothing about the situation.

So because I'm not a parent I have no idea on how to discipline a child and I'm forbidden to give an opinion. A bit of a generalisation I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Of course, you are free to give your opinion.

But… you have not really changed your opinion despite being provided with various research from many users that shows that corporal punishment is not effective.

And you have also been asked how you can be sure that it is corporal punishment alone which produces the desired behaviour, and not something else like boundaries, even raising one’s voice to communicate disapproval, etc. I asked you a while back and you ignored the question.

I don’t expect that you will change your mind in the course of reading this thread. Change doesn’t really occur in such a short space of time but maybe let go of the certainty that it’s corporal punishment which is the linchpin to good behaviour in children and be open to other ideas.

There’s also the discovery that parenting has little effect on a child’s personality according to behavioural geneticists. This doesn’t mean “So it doesn’t matter how we treat our children then” because hitting a child is no way to treat a vulnerable person. You wouldn’t hit your elderly relative, even if they were being equally as ‘difficult’ right? (Though there is elder abuse too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Children tantrum because they are hungry, tired, too hot, bored etc. Smacking them doesn't fix any of those things. It doesn't even work. It just makes the child scream louder and cause more of a fuss.

I've grown up in a family that didn't smack. We are all tax-paying peaceful professional employed members of society. No criminal convictions or misbehaving of any kind.

My mother taught me how to watch the cues in my children, realise when they are going to be hungry/tired when we are out in advance, and preempt it rather than wait for a meltdown. None of mine have ever tantrumed. They say please, thank you, excuse me, use cutlery, etc.

I have some friends who smack and have badly behaved children, some friends who smack and have well behaved children. I don't think there is any link whatsoever between behaviour and smacking.

And I brought up the institutional abuse this country has inflicted on children because it is indicitive of our societies attitude to children for generations. Irish society places very low value on children. They are seen as a general nuisance.

I was never hit, smacked, beaten or otherwise physically punished as a child.

Somehow I managed to be a well behaved child and grow into a reasonable and productive adult. Against all the odds, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

i hear a lot of people try that "parents should control thier children" malarkey when some toddler is screaming the place down. They all seem to have the magic cure. They do not seem to get that this will not work - children have tantrums and you wont stop it.

That being said i do feel that a slap has its place but only as a last resort. I mean after being warned, toys taken away, time out, naughty step.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WeeWilly

This is a long essay, for I feel like writing, and, after all, you can choose to read or not! The brainwashed fervor of some of these posts totally scares me, for they reveal so clearly the sort of blind PCist grip that the world is in, and the alarming traction that has been achieved by lunatics like Dr. Spock and the other pseudo-professions who have cast around to find a way to sell their non-knowledge. I’ll refrain from any sort of remark about what these posts say about the muddled thinking employed by so many of my fellow-humans.

So, I’ll take my point of view to several of the posts (not necessarily examples of “muddled thinking”, but all espousing views I see as hopelessly false), and then finish by making a comment, and in so doing, invite comment in return.

I was rarely ever smacked and I turned out fine.
    Somehow I managed to be a well behaved child and grow into a reasonable and productive adult.
    While these may well be true, neither of you are in the slightest competent to judge. These claims are different, notice, from someone’s saying (as I do) that my being beaten as a child has not damaged the love I have for my parents, either now, or at the time. And none of us three boys ever feared our parents in the slightest. These are simply true statements that I can accurately make. It is for others to assess whether or not I “turned out fine” or I am “productive”. BTW, your judgment is already in question by the stance you take against corporal punishment! ;)

I intend no sarcasm or irony here, but I have friends (he is an engineer,, and his wife an industrial psychologist) of many years who would make the same claim about how well their children turned out. Indeed, they have done so! Anyway, I find their children (or at least the boys, aged 35 and 43) unusually childish, incapable of assuming responsibility, molly-coddled, slow to mature generally, morally deficient in many ways, and constantly applying to their parents for assistance. Their parents permitted them to grow like weeds, for they wanted them "free to develop". Of course, no spanking, or anything like! Anyway, when he (Dad) asked me to hire them for summer employment (one when he was 16 and the other 24), I refused outright because these children simply are intolerable to live with. Albeit intelligent, they are crude, rude, abusive with their language (and not just with their peers), pathologically argumentative, self-centred, and hopelessly tardy. I offer them not as examples of the results of non-spanking (although these strong-willed children could serve this role all too well), but of examples of how sadly amiss their parents are at assessing "how they turned out".
    Anyone who beats their child isn't a parent, but a lunatic.
    About countenancing corporal punishment:
    Such backward thinking.
    This sort of frenzied PCist pejorative a-la-modality is stupid. It is simply bashing at the question by slaying the messenger. I am not a lunatic, and neither were my parents - but I will admit that this is really for others to judge (NB: by argument already used above, you have no credibility in this respect because your judgments are already pretty iffy). Corporal punishment is an old and remarkable well-proven way of raising children, and an aspect of this thread is directed at the question of whether or not it still has value. To me, and many others, it is obvious that it does, and I am pretty-well sure that that belief doesn’t yet qualify one as a lunatic, or indeed, as being backward.
    How on earth do people think that teaching children that slapping and physically hurting and humiliating somebody is appropriate behaviour for any reason, how can this be acceptable??
    [I am ignoring the loaded “and humiliating them” that was tossed in free of charge, and without any proof that this happens to any serious degree. I also discard the “somebody” from consideration because it is too general when by “somebody” we mean “one’s child” that Nature has handed to us to train and help form as best we can].
    So, there is the harm straight away. What child wants to be whacked about?
    No child wants to be “whacked about”, as you put it! It is negative reinforcement, after all, and this is how it works. Slapping a child (or “whacking it about”) does hurt, and it does do some sort of “physical harm”; indeed, it is this very quality that we seek to enlist, hopefully beneficially, when we do it! By extension, the argument here is – or should be – is it justified and appropriate, in some situations, to apply this mildly violent action to your children? And I believe it is.
    Most modern parents don't want their children to grow up afraid of them.
    I certainly wasn’t afraid of either of my parents, and neither were my brothers. Not at all; indeed, the very idea is ridiculous to me. I never had the slightest doubt that my parents adored us. The point is that, oddly, it is not axiomatic that parents’ (and the apostrophe is correct ;) ) hitting their children makes their children afraid of them, whether the parents are modern or not.
    If you must put words into my mouth, please choose something less foolish! What sort of human being, familiar with this world, would ever claim that the duties of a friend and a parent are the same? While there are no doubt some similarities, these duties are far more noteworthy for their differences. I really do hope this does not require explanation.
    children have tantrums and you won’t (sic) stop them (sic).
    Certainly not if you won’t try. This comment is very provocative and interesting, but I believe, totally wrong if we apply it to children over the age of, say, 2 years. Earlier than this may be too young to be unequivocal about what constitutes a tantrum. That said, a child’s success at having, or desire to have, a tantrum is not based on a single incident of applying a timely hit - if I might word it so whimsically – as much as it is rooted in the general nature of its upbringing. My children quite literally never had tantrums, and neither did I nor my siblings. And if you think that it must therefore be true that we were all insipid, self-effacing, obsequious, non-demanding wee angels, I can safely assure you that this is far from the truth – although, again, this is really only for others to validate! Moreover, as I sit here now and think back to my childhood, I cannot recall any of my friends’ (again, the apostrophe!) having tantrums. I do not know whether this happened, but I truly cannot recollect ever witnessing this odd behavior among my friends (and I did have many) - even if I did indeed once see in a restaurant a tantrum entered into(?) by a child I didn’t know. But I have seen it in today's world, several times - with far fewer opportunities to see it! Today, reflecting on this - and right on topic - I see a child’s having a tantrum as a strong negative comment on the general quality of its parenting. I claim that a child reared in a generally healthy way – viz, where parents’ authority is not something that is constantly in question - does not have tantrums. To be sure humanity has enough variation to validly challenge this statement as an absolute (after all, you can find an Irishman without a sense of humor, and a German with one!), but you know what I mean.

Viewpoint:

First a wee story for context: At 5 years old, my son – always a distressingly precocious, intelligent and remarkably fluent speaker – (and whom I justifiably regularly beat within an inch of his life, to great good effect, in spite of this story!) was for the first time in his life in the seat beside me on the bus going into Toronto – a treat, you see. Incidentally, because we lived in a small town outside Toronto, by sheerest chance he had never seen a black man. Anyway, at a bus-stop on the way, a well-dressed black man got on the bus - and true to form – my son sung out in that clear child’s voice that the whole bus could hear “Hey, Daddy, look at that funny man!”. Under immediate stress, I clapped a hand over his mouth, looked out the window to the far fields, and said as casually as I could muster, “Where?”, while desperately trying to make sure that he got no opportunity to explain. And that’s when I killed him, Your Honor.”

And now my view:

The point is that relationship between children and parents is not one of equals, as if between friends. No sir. I do not normally change a friend’s nappies (at least, not yet), nor correct his speech, nor his homework, etc. Nor do I upbraid my friend for noting vociferously that his teacher is “not really that fat” as she stands before us all. And I do not see a child’s wishes or point-of-view as anything like the equal of its parents. Raising a child is not a democracy in action! And believe me – but, of course you know very well – that the rules governing the actions between parent and child are not those that obtain between parent and friend; indeed, they have few similarities. Parents, particularly when their children are young, and even into their mid-teens, are absolute dictators … and they should be. Of course, wise parents should weigh the wishes and the well-being of their children into the mix, and make decisions accordingly. This should guide their decisions and “edicts”, but at no time should the parents’ position as absolute decision-makers be up for discussion.

Of course, as the children grow up, the sharpness of this characterization should blur, eventually disappearing altogether - by which I mean that greater and greater credence should be given to the children’s point-of-view as they age. When children are young, corporal punishment should always be on the table, gradually receding as they age, off the table by the time they are 12, or maybe somewhat earlier. I doubt that corporal punishment of the sort we are talking of is of much benefit after this (although my private school – started by my Irish dad in Halifax in Canada – had no such qualms). Moreover, not all children “need” the same amount of corporal punishment. But in my opinion, discarding this simple and extremely effective tool from your arsenal “as a matter of principle” is the irresponsible, misguided, foolish, pusillanimous, and mawkish cop-out of “them as has drunk the Kool-Aid”. Your children deserve better than this.

Today my children are aged 35 and 45, they are both researchers at the top of their professions, and they are self-assured and confident by any measure you might choose. I totally love it when they can find time from flitting about the world to get together (and so do they), where we are more than capable of sitting up all night, like kids, on some hot topic. The notion of “a relationship of equals” or otherwise has receded into the mists of time, as you will all understand. But their backgrounds helped form them, to be sure.

I once watched a TV program, conducted by a couple of child psychologists, on handling children. Under the format of the show, several family-in-action scenarios were offered to illustrate how a healthy family should operate. One example on the table was the family’s eventual decision to move to a new location (maybe from Boston to Philadelphia, or the like). The sample family was Mum, Dad and either two or three children (I forget which) around 8’ish to 12’ish years old. The psychologists proffered the view that the correct way for the family to handle this possible relocation was to give each family member one vote. Then they should discuss the matter, after which they should vote … and then be bound by that vote! The thumping idiotsThe psychologists - actually put that forward as a sample healthy family modus operandi. Need I expound on the utter nonsense of this offering?

Do I want such inane thinking to frame the standards for raising my children? Do you, for yours? This sort of thing is all around us, to varying degrees. This is the manure that gave birth to such malignant tripe as "corporal punishment is bad", "we do not punish; we redirect", "time outs", "telling your 10-year old child that his actions are distressing to you" and so on. It is not fanciful to take this view of the matter. Just watch The Simpsons if you want to see a de facto standard for how children and parents interact. Of course, this is a cartoon, and so, should be judged accordingly. But it sets a very recognizable and definite American standard, and if you think that it is extreme, "put on the Simpsons glasses" to have a new look at any “serious” American TV program or movie that features modern child-adult interaction. You will see the Simpsons standard all over the place, even if somewhat more subtly displayed.

So, the moral of the story is to beat your children whenever you get the chance. :eek::eek:

WeeWilly, your viewpoint can be summed up as "my children are better than everyone elses."

Sorry, but every parent thinks that.

Whether your friends decided that manners were not important really has no bearing on their chosen method of discipline. I value good manners in children very highly, take great pains to teach them, and still have yet to smack.

There are plenty of layabouts who have been smacked, plenty of convicts, plenty of obnoxious rude people who have been beaten to an inch of their lives their entire childhood. Slapping does not produce nice people as some sort of magic wand. It's completely unrelated to the outcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

WeeWilly wrote: »
    At 5 years old, my son – always a distressingly precocious, intelligent and remarkably fluent speaker – (and whom I justifiably regularly beat within an inch of his life, to great good effect, in spite of this story!)

I realise you were being tongue in cheek here but in general a big distinction needs to be made between someone who smacks their child to correct a behaviour and beating a child. The language is important here as beating would imply a sustained assault whereas smacking is inflicted by a loving parent.
    Now personally I would not agree with any kind of 'acceptable violence' particularly as one poster seemed to think that boys deserve more violence than girls. I got hit with the hand and the wooden spoon as a child too and I have to say it was a poor way of modifying behaviour. Role modelling is much more effective imho.

Egad, again this is going to be a long post! Oh well, let's go....

pwpurple:
    WeeWilly, your viewpoint can be summed up as "my children are better than everyone elses."
    :eek: By you perhaps, but really, by who else? Indeed, how in the world did you get this nonsense out of anything I wrote? Where you simply waiting in the wings to spring this comment on any view, whatever it was, that you had no answer for?

But seriously, is this hackneyed cliche actually the sum total of what you took away from my long and painstaking labor to illustrate and provide backing and substance for my point of view? I have re-read my posting , desperately looking for anything to which your comment can be seen to apply (never mind to my entire essay) and honestly, I wonder if your remark is directed at some other posting.

I am grabbing at straws, but were you perhaps using rhetoric bombast to question my veracity - or less provocatively, my memory - at my contention that, among my childhood friends, tantrums were basically unknown? This I could certainly understand, for a very well-known way to deal with facts that do not support a point-of-view is to ignore them or to attack the purveyor of those facts. Are you commenting on my characterization of my kids? Believe me, many of their colleagues have similar characteristics - in is a nature of their environment - and I do not and did not compare them with anyone else. So, with all respect, I have absolutely no idea of how to respond to you.

But let's have a look at this tantrum issue, as I suspect this rankles with you. A few years ago, while I was out working in the garden, my immediate neighbor (viz, from the house next to mine, 13 years a neighbor) came running up to me saying that her son was having a tantrum, and could I come over to help deal with him. Regardless of how it sounds, this is not a made up story, and I am doing my best to tell it exactly as it happened. She was frantic, and so, I did deal with it to the best of my ability (and no spanking had to be employed). How is not the issue, for I am focusing on the tantrum (but, although it would be off-topic, I am ready with details if anyone examines me on the issue. I am also ready to back up my other story, in my previous post, of how my daughter dealt with the problem I described there. They were not concocted examples, created for affect. They were real! ;)).

I am afraid, pwpurple, if indeed the tantrum issue is what you are focusing on with your provocative remark, that you will need to turn up your ignoring shields to the full, but, truly, in my growing up years, I had NEVER SEEN such a thing from anyone, and the closest to it is the incident I mentioned in my essay in passing! Well, to continue ... this neighbor's child, perhaps 6 or 7 years old, was writhing around on the floor and screaming. Moreover, although that was certainly the most pronounced example I have ever seen, I have witnessed other incidents that get close to that (on airplanes, curiously, is one place I have seen this repulsive behavior on more than one occasion. They are the product of recent years, for this never used to be the case, although children flew on planes back then, too, even if less often) ... and they are all in recent, or at least, my adult, years. In my childhood (and youth), I never saw anything at all like it.

Now, here's the thing. My children are long-since grown up, and I have relatively little to do with children any more. The subject of child rearing had never arisen with my neighbor. So why was she so helpless, and why did she run to ask for help from me? First, her three boys are utterly beyond anything that their Mum or Dad can control. My wife and I have been out to dinner with the family (we are very fond of Mum and Dad), and there - as everywhere - the children dominate absolutely everything, they take what they want from the table when they want, and in whatever amount they want. They ignore any directives that either parent bleats at them, and there is little that anyone can do to reign them in. The children have "no consequences" that they understand as such. It is an extraordinary situation, and my wife and I sit quietly ignoring this elephant in the room, with chaos prevailing around us all. Need I add that the children are something that most people would walk a long way to avoid?

Anyway, I tend to help these neighbors on such mysteries of life as fixing their plumbing or electrical emergencies, their sump pump failures, and I manage their house when they travel, and so on - for they know nothing about these things - and I helped their kids (whom I can manage quite easily, probably for ordinary reasons like merely being from outside the family) to set up their fishing rods, fixing their bikes, and so on. They are Chinese Canadians and, true to form, curiously helpless at these everyday things, and they have grown comfortable asking for assistance at need - as they are very welcome to do. With this background, it was somewhat natural for her to ask for help in the instance described.

The parents are intelligent and successful by all the means that these things are judged. He is an MD and she is a chartered accountant. They have nannies to help them. They would appear to have all the raw tools to rear their children. Mum would faithfully mouth all the PC-drenched comments found in such abundance on this forum. I know this because we discussed child-rearing at Mum's instigation after the Tantrum Event. These parents are particularly lost - not to say, incompetent, in my opinion - at raising children, or at least in dealing with them, and it is unfair to condemn an entire way of going on the basis of a single example. The thing is THEY ARE NOT AN ISOLATED EXAMPLE! Sorry for shouting, but they aren't.

I see this sort of thing fairly regularly, and yet, I have relatively little exposure to children today. I mention below, in my response to Pawwed Rig that I had [some years ago] engaged with a Canadian forum on child-rearing (with a format that featured psychologists to help answer posters' questions and concerns). The forum was inundated with postings describing children who exhibited the behavior described above, and indeed, worse. When they received "modern advice" on the forum from the Illuminati ("don't punish; redirect", "time-outs", "quiet time", "tell your child how he is distressing you", "bad choices", etc), many posters would come back later to explain how ineffective this was ... and absolutely begging for further help! I read this with incredulous interest, and was absolutely aghast at the unmitigated foolishness (and so obviously uselessness) of the advice. It was the utterly blind leading the utterly blinder. How can intelligent people (in this instance, the child-rearing "experts" on the forum) so blindly ignore the overwhelming evidence of the hopelessness of their advice, even when their faces are repeatedly being rubbed in it? Some of these children, even if not all, would quite obviously have benefited from well-applied corporal punishment. They had to be reigned in, even if only for the sanity of those around them.

More generally why is the so-bloody-obvious being pointedly ignored in favor of this PC-fueled blethering? Anyone reading the postings I describe above - one might think - must surely be asking the same question! Why, then, aren't these soi disant psychologists?

I still contend that raising children is easy ... we all have known how to do it since the beginning of time. This is not to say that it is an emotional cake-walk - everyone knows it isn't - but how it is done is known. Until, that is, this latest (past couple of decades) in a-la-modality raising child-rearing to the arcane level of a PhD-level pseudo-skill that blithely discards age-old wisdom in favor of a whole raft of non-intuitive, muddled and quite spectacularly unsuccessful blethering. I believe that young parents today (say, those born late 60's and afterwards) see a situation today that they view as the norm, and so, can no longer imagine one where this norm simply does not apply.

Of course, any reasonable person knows that not all children need the same handling, and there are children who will blithely grow up jes' fine, surviving any sort of child-rearing philosophy. But this is not universally true, and we have been quite remarkably foolish to discard corporal punishment from the proven tools available to manage and train our children. It is impossible that I can be the only one who has experienced the sort of errant child behavior that I describe here. It is far too prevalent, and I probably have less exposure to children than most of you. So where are the rest of you?

On some later posting I must relate to you some of my experiences with a security firm (I owned it with my two brothers who actually ran it) - and of my conclusions at what I saw. Again, I think that much of this is suitable fodder for this forum.

Pawwed Rig:
    I realise you were being tongue in cheek
    Of course it was tongue-in-cheek, and so, probably did not rate wagging the proverbial e-finger at me with a suggestion that I smarten up and use more obsequious and respectful - not to mention mawkish - language. ;) For me - and most of us, I would guess - people who truly beat children (or anyone else, for that matter) are contemptible and pathologically cruel, and reading over the posts in this thread, I see little evidence that contributors to this thread are of this sort.

There are some subjects where all humor - or worse, irreverence, even if obviously and openly light-hearted - is viewed with alarm, and as something needing swift correcting back to terms that are sepulchral, black and meticulously respectful ... the written equivalent of whispering in church. This is a sure sign that the insidious evil of PCism is at work, either actively or "re-actively". Talking child-rearing is one such subject (I dealt on a least one other [Canadian] forum devoted to this, and was surprised at how strong this was). So too are discussions about race, religion, the right to bear arms or to hunt foxes (particularly reactively, among its proponents), gender rights or characteristics, physical or mental disability, and so on. The point is that, with such subjects, there is a widespread and extreme discomfort with opinions that are frank and open - particularly those that run counter to the prevalent PC-headwind, and so, those opinions will tend to be buried under a blanket of painstaking euphemism and roundaboutation ... and, more importantly, very difficult to open up to frank examination.

Cheers.

Weewilly, why do you think any tantrum comment rankles me? I've already told you my own children have never had a tantrum.

You've assumed every parent who doesn't smack their children is some liberal political correctness softie. I'm very far from that. I'm strict with my family, and we are considered right-wing in our views. I expect good manners at all times. I don't put up with fussy eating, being indoors all the time, tv watching, late bedtimes, poor spelling, or any other "lefty" habits. I know I am not alone in this, as while we do have plenty of friends who do the "free-range" parenting and end up with irritating brats who have picked up american accents from too much television... we also have friends who are of a similar mindset to ourselves, with very well behaved polite children. The only people I know around here who smack their children are the pajama brigade.

I still hold that smacking is something I may do if I see the necessity for it, but the situation has yet to occur. The alternative to smacking is not ignoring all parental responsibilities. I still don't see why you are correlating those, just because you have a neighbour who is a poor parent.

Question: Did you teach your children not to assault others? If so, how did you reconcile hitting them yourself?

• Advertisement

pwpurple, I did preface my remarks by saying that I had no idea of how to respond to you. That was not mere rhetoric. As a shot in the dark, I tackled the question of child tantrums, as perhaps my remarks about this had predicated your summary of my whole essay's simply being a claim that my children were better than everyone else's. Frankly, I couldn't begin to see the source of that extraordinary conclusion.

About tantrums: one cannot "spank one's way out of a tantrum". However, I do contend that tantrums are a strong indication of general parental neglect, failure, or mismanagement ... and a sign that parental respect is not what it should be. Generally speaking, parents should be able to control their children (where I am talking of children that are beyond the purely infant stage).

To be clear, I do not believe that all children need to be spanked. Children, like humans everywhere, come in different shapes and sizes, and there certainly is no single rule that satisfies all variants! A parent who sets about disciplining each and every child by resorting to the rod for every infraction is every bit as foolish as the parent that ignores the rod even when it is the obviously right tool for the situation!

What I do object to, and see as a cop-out, is the parenting philosophy that fundamentally discards corporal punishment from the box of parenting tools. Corporal punishment (and the pain it conveys) is a highly effective and age-old tool that every animal uses to check unruly or "incorrect" behavior. The only studies that I have seen quoted to support the claim that this is ineffective are the those conducted by people who have already drunk deep of "the spanking-is-bad Koolaid".

I say again, that child-raising is not difficult. Every animal knows how to do it, and so do we. The relatively recent pseudo-sciences that raise this simple business, with its obvious and intuitive tools, to an arcane art - understandable only by studied Illuminati, and which substitute a new set of tools that are muddled, indirect, counter-intuitive and ineffective - constitute an attempt to create a science where there is none! Note that I do not say that raising children is emotionally easy, for we all know that ain't true, or that there is a direct and easily-determinable correlation between one's "parenting activity" and the end result!

My children, like yours, are not simple creatures, and my children, like me, have absolutely no difficulty in separating disciplining activity from the business of assaulting other people. In fact - pardon me - I find the question about this to be remarkably silly.

I'll finish on this forum with one last story that I believe is germane.

There are, of course, children today who are quite delightful, and some of these have undoubtedly been raised without their parents' ever resorting to the cane. But children today are a horrendous group - or at any rate, contain significant numbers of such - and are very far from the kind of children I grew up with. To me, this is a rather severe comment on the effectiveness of today's parenting in general, and we are left to muse on why this should be, and what might be the cause. Moreover, I have very little trust in parents' assessment of their own children.

So what do I have to justify such severity?

My brothers ran a security company in rural BC (a province on Canada's West Coast). There were a couple of local venues that held weekly dances for kids from ages 15 to 18, and our firm did the security for these dances. The people who actually ran the dances, and who were on site during these events, were afraid of the children, and unwilling to enforce the few basic rules of the venues . So they brought us in, where "doing the security" meant having our uniformed personnel on site to make sure that any destruction was minimal, and to enforce the simple rules ( a - no drinking, b - once you leave the venue you cannot come back in, c - come in through the entrance and pay, and leave by the exit, d - no spitting on the steps, etc), and to make sure the chidren leave at the conclusion of the event. I am not in the security business (although I was a part owner of the firm) - I was a VP of a IS department of life insurance firm, viz, far away from the world of security), but I have occasionally found myself, when visiting my brothers, with a company jacket on and representing the firm at these dances.

It's an eye-opener from every point-of-view. The children as a group behave like jackals, they are abusive, they tend to be destructive, and have utterly no respect for authority. One of my brothers had an enviable knack of dealing with them, and was clearly well-liked, all the while being very firm, but these children are inevitably very hard indeed to deal with. I have seen them, and other children, treating the police the same way, and I have watched putatively ordinary children pulling knives on the police or threatening them in other ways.

The point is that children like this simply did not exist in any numbers when I was this age. There's no question about this, it is a simple fact. So something has changed in the environment and the way children are raised, and we are left to contemplate on what it might be.

One other aspect of this was also an eye-opener.

My brothers are well known and fairly popular in that town, and often find themselves involved socially with many of the locals, and sometimes I tag along (a rare visitor from the big city far away!). On more than one occasion I have in passing seen and heard people describing their children, and how well they behave. It is a subject that, curiously, is often raised when "your friends in security" are around. By the way, on one occasion those self-same children were standing right there in earshot, behaving like the respectful little angels their parents were describing! But I could clearly recall those very children in the mob at the dance the other night, or down in the park, or over at the mall - when their parents were not around - screaming streams of vituperation and abuse along with the rest, and perhaps even drugged or drunk. So parents' assessments of their children are often very far off the mark.

At any rate, here in North America we have long ago "gone completely over to the dark side" in the PC tsunami that fuels the mental-gropism approach that muddles much of what we do (and which now also drenches the working world), including raising and disciplining children . Even the phrase "discipline" applied in the context of children is negatively-charged, repulsive and outright bad. I had hoped that the rest of the world had not (yet?) gone down this hopeless street, and this is why I was interested in taking the temperature of this forum when I ran across it! As I mentioned in my last posting, I posted some years ago on a Canadian child-rearing-focused forum (now defunct) where people posted their problems to get "professional" help from the child-psychologists who were featured on the forum. The ineffectiveness of their advice - according to the feedback posted over considerable time - was spectacular - and it was totally ignored by the experts who continued to bleat out useless advice! But I have already commented on that.

The visit to this forum and the comments have been interesting. Cheerio.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My parents beat me when my behavior warranted adjustment, and I beat my children under similar circumstances. .

What child behaviors deserves beatings? What could a child possibly do that deserves a beating? Sound like sadism here. Adults beating children. No matter what way that is spun it can never be condoned.

BTW, if you have grandchildren and you are/were in charge of them would you beat them to, when their behavior warranted it?

walshb wrote: »
    What child behaviors deserves beatings? What could a child possibly do that deserves a beating? Sound like sadism here. Adults beating children. No matter what way that is spun it can never be condoned.

BTW, if you have grandchildren and you are/were in charge of them would you beat them to, when their behavior warranted it?

I think Wee Willys use of words is wrong. I think the term "beating" conjures up all sorts of thoughts of abuse and battery. When I was a boy I was "smacked" and on some occasions "punished with a belt/wooden spoon". I would not say I was "beaten" as to do do would imply I was assaulted or physically harmed in some way as a result of the punishment. The truth of the matter is I wasn't, and it did me no harm whatsoever!

I think Wee Willys use of words is wrong. I think the term "beating" conjures up all sorts of thoughts of abuse and battery. When I was a boy I was "smacked" and on some occasions "punished with a belt/wooden spoon". I would not say I was "beaten" as to do do would imply I was assaulted or physically harmed in some way as a result of the punishment. The truth of the matter is I wasn't, and it did me no harm whatsoever!

He comes across as a well educated man. I don't think his use of words is open to much interpretation here. What I find odd is that for a well educated man, surely he could have found in his vocabulary something to discipline his children? Why the need to "beat" them?

His children grew up, and they also seem to be well educated, yet they too don't seem to be able to discipline their children without resorting to beatings?

Really, what is so bad that a a fully grown adult feels the need and right to assault/beat their children? How out of control were his kids, and their kids? Were they really that wild and misbehaved that beatings was necessary?

If so, then it seems that the "beatings" worked? They grew up to become well educated adults. Of course, that doesn't mean that they are decent and caring and gentle human beings. Violence can breed violence. It seems true in this case. Maybe the next generation will buck the trend?

I must confess that there is some sort of saucy imp in me that cannot resist poking a stick into the hornet's nest, although there is an end in view. Actually, I tend to choose my words with care, and it was no accident that I used the word "beat", and that I refuse to kowtow to the prevailing wind that pays obsequious homage to anything that involves the politically correct. Indeed, I warned about this before. I do this in the same way that one wets a finger and holds it up to the wind. It is a test of what is prevailing. I repeat, word-for-word what I replied before to a comment before about my using the word "beat":
    Of course it was tongue-in-cheek, and so, probably did not rate wagging the proverbial e-finger at me with a suggestion that I smarten up and use more obsequious and respectful - not to mention mawkish - language. wink.png For me - and most of us, I would guess - people who truly beat children (or anyone else, for that matter) are contemptible and pathologically cruel, and reading over the posts in this thread, I see little evidence that contributors to this thread are of this sort.

There are some subjects where all humor - or worse, irreverence, even if obviously and openly light-hearted - is viewed with alarm, and as something needing swift correcting back to terms that are sepulchral, black and meticulously respectful ... the written equivalent of whispering in church. This is a sure sign that the insidious evil of PCism is at work, either actively or "re-actively". Talking child-rearing is one such subject (I dealt on a least one other [Canadian] forum devoted to this, and was surprised at how strong this was). So too are discussions about race, religion, the right to bear arms or to hunt foxes (particularly reactively, among its proponents), gender rights or characteristics, physical or mental disability, and so on. The point is that, with such subjects, there is a widespread and extreme discomfort with opinions that are frank and open - particularly those that run counter to the prevalent PC-headwind, and so, those opinions will tend to be buried under a blanket of painstaking euphemism and roundaboutation ... and, more importantly, very difficult to open up to frank examination.
    Also, I find it important to know, to understand and to acknowledge that when one beats/strikes/flogs/smacks/slaps (choose one and strike out all offenders) a child that it actually causes pain. And yet I firmly believe that corporal punishment has a healthy and proper place in the parental toolkit, and that it is foolish and irresponsible to discard it so wantonly. I refuse to back off this, for the very fact that it produces pain is what makes it obviously and immediately effective. People that do not acknowledge the basic truth of this are simply burying their heads in the sand, and have long ago succumbed to the PC KoolAid I referred to before.

You see, I fervently don't believe that children are silly little sugar cubes that need to be kept constantly dry, and far away from anything that is unpleasant, or which causes pain. Again, moderation is the thing, as it is with pretty-well all things. But it terrifies me to see how kids are being molly-coddled and cutified today, how the [frankly] silly and freakish PC treatment of children, so well exemplified here, has become the norm, and how perilously near we are to having reasonable and proper care of children damned near against the law and in the hands of litany-spouting zealots!

Another story:
    When my daughter was 3, I took her to a birthday party for the 3-year-old son of friends of mine. At that party a film was shown for the 10 or so children at the party, while we parents sat off to one side chatting. We could see the film and the children sitting there watching the film, and we parents, too, could watch the film with desultory interest as we sat chatting. Well, the film was a Disney thing about some little animal, and about how it manages in the big wide world. Typically of this sort of Disney film, the plot of the story requires early-on that the mother of the wee animal protagonist has to be "dispatched with" so that the story can get on with the lonely wee one, out fending for itself. The way that this film handled this ticklish item was to produce a bad predator that Mum has to confront, and then to have all this confrontation occur behind a bush from which Mum never returns!
    When this poignant incident had taken place in the film, one wee girl - daughter, as it transpired, of the woman sitting at my table - turned around and asked her mother frantically and with great horror, "What happened to its mother, Mummy?", to which her Mum bleated out the reply "- er - she went away." Immediately, my daughter, also sitting watching this movie, turned to me and said, "That's not true, is it Daddy?" Her Dad, not always the most tactful of individuals (I was lot younger then!), replied "No! She was killed by the mountain lion!". I bet needn't dwell on what I hit I made with that wee girl's mother sitting directly across the table from me! By the way my daughter, simply accepted this, and went back to watching the movie.
    Interestingly, I note that no-one has made any attempt to square up to my arguments, examples, and philosophy. Instead they must needs focus all on my choice of words (that I specifically offered up as a distraction), or simply mouth off a litany they long ago ceased thinking about. By the way, I am an atheist who also argues on a forum that looks at religion, and the style and feel of arguments anti-corporal punishment and pro-religion are identical. The same again happens on a gun forum on the part of advocates of gun ownership and hunting, and on a Britsh pro-fox hunting forum (if you can imagine such a disgusting thing).

It must be very apparent, even to the casual reader of my long posts, that, my irreverence aside, I take all these issues very seriously, and I doubt that much reading between the lines is required to see that I am hardly a parent that flails cruelly away at his kids. It is exceedingly likely (but certainly unprovable) that I have spent far more "quality time" (ugh! everything in me rebels against this sort of expression) with my children that did/do most of these litany-mouthing posters. I castigate no one of you, of course, because in any particular instance I might very well be wrong!

But I feel that this PC'ist tripe - for tripe it is - has to be opposed. Educating children is now almost exclusively in the hands of women, for normal men are fleeing from being teachers in droves (for fairly obvious reasons) as we pointedly hand children increasingly heavy artillery designed specifically to attack men. I few years ago I read in Toronto's Globe and Mail an article about this, where the claim was that in 15 years the number of male teachers at high school had dropped to 10% of what it had been. A couple of my friends are female teachers, and they tell me that the few male teachers at their schools are openly gay men. Be careful, I am not anti-gay (remember my comment about my refusing to be obsequious in dealing with PC issues), but I do find it significant that all other men have [apparently] found it necessary to flee this profession.

This is a forum about corporal punishment, and I want to stay on topic, but how do you like this, in terms of sending chills of fear down your spine? - A couple of weeks ago, my 13-year old grandson in Vancouver was asked in school to write a poem with the first line "Just because I am a man I don't have to be strong". This was not a punishment or object-lesson, but a simple assignment. The school has a single gay man among the teachers (that, oddly, everyone apparently wants to be taught by), and all the rest are women. My daughter tells me that she must often rush out of the room (during parent-teacher meetings at her school) at the idiocy that is discussed and put forward, to avoid arguing, for, as she points out, she must deal with these people tomorrow!

I can only imagine the feathers I must be ruffling with this unvarnished posting. But a forum like this is for exchanging ideas, and so let's do so. I have little but contempt for a poster who swoops in, delivers an inflammatory posting, and then never returns to defend his position. But I suspect that we are nearing the point of exhausting this particular controversy.

Cheerio.

I didn't get to read all your posts in detail, so I am not precisely sure what you mean when you say "beating" your children. I'd like to hear of reasons why they were "beaten", what the children did, what age they were when getting beatings, and a definition of a beating in your mind? Were the beatings with implements or with your bare hands, or both? Did they act so badly that a beating was necessary? Were they violent, physically threatening, dangerous, out of control? Or was it more that they "spilled their milk, slammed a door, answered back, didn't say please or thank you?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The term beating was used tongue in cheek to illicit a response. He has clarified that he has not 'beaten' his children in a way that most here would understand the term.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The term beating was used tongue in cheek to illicit a response. He has clarified that he has not 'beaten' his children in a way that most here would understand the term.

Ok, so maybe he could let his know what his definition meant. A smack, maybe? Wooden spoon, strap?

... I want to stay on topic, but how do you like this, in terms of sending chills of fear down your spine? - A couple of weeks ago, my 13-year old grandson in Vancouver was asked in school to write a poem with the first line "Just because I am a man I don't have to be strong". This was not a punishment or object-lesson, but a simple assignment.

In a world where small boys are told that big boys don't cry, grown men are told to man up, and where male suicide figures are a damning indictment of the cultural pressure for men to be strong, silent, but above all stoic, this is great news.

I think making young teen boys aware that the definition of manhood doesn't have include being 'strong' all the time is a great step forward in freeing the next generation of young men from the gender stereotypes that harm their mental heath and self-image.

As for the rest of your posts, I feel conviction of your absolute correctness oozes from every self-justifying line, and your dismissal of whole swathes of other factors that contribute to social problems suggests this is a bit of a crusade for you. Your florid language and refusal to entertain other points of view, your apparently psychic ability to read other parents minds, your reliance on anecdote and your seeming inability to differentiate between causation and correlation lead me to believe that you believe yourself to be infallibly right and not open to any discussion.

I think you're wrong, as does the overwhelming majority of research evidence.

Cheerio.

• Advertisement

From reading a lot of the WeeWilly's posts it sounds like his children were forced/encouraged to grow up and mature before their time.

Advertisement