Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco to 'honour' Dunnes/Supervalu money off vouchers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tell them you got them in Galway when you came to visit me :D

Used 4 in Tesco Maynooth. They went off to a Manager who had to OK them before they were accepted- but they were accepted. Kiddies have new clothes, runners and other needed things- adults have a case of half price Chilean wine- and at least a week's load of groceries for 4. Came to 110 Euro (including the runners (2 pairs) and other clothes).

I owe you a coffee next time we're down in Galway snubbleste!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco fakebuke now say they take Iceland coupons
    LbobBtP.jpg?1

Tesco now accept Marks&Spencer coupons.. but only ones issued at the till

Tesco now accept Marks&Spencer coupons.. but only ones issued at the till

Where have they said this? Also- why is it different than those for all the other competitors- which allow any vouchers (internet, newspaper, till spits, flyers etc).

gPJYrs6.jpg?1jR9lcvY.png?1
    XX01eEd.png?19zxk5Pj.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where have they said this? Also- why is it different than those for all the other competitors- which allow any vouchers (internet, newspaper, till spits, flyers etc).

M&S email reprintable vouchers every few months. Tesco don't take reprintables except in mistakes

My local Tesco now will only accept Tesco gift cards for groceries, manager has to OK everything else.
    The prevalent €10 off €50 competitor coupons for the past eleven weeks must be really starting to bite.

L1011 wrote: »
    M&S email reprintable vouchers every few months. Tesco don't take reprintables except in mistakes

Depends on the store. Two managers in Maynooth have now advised no issue with them (M&S and Iceland vouchers)- and if anyone demurs- to request the managers by name and they will sort it.

My local Tesco now will only accept Tesco gift cards for groceries, manager has to OK everything else.
    The prevalent €10 off €50 competitor coupons for the past eleven weeks must be really starting to bite.

Sorry- I don't quite get what you're saying. Are you suggesting people were using Tesco gift cards to buy something other than groceries? Vis-a-vis giftcards- they were always supposed to be specifically excluded from use with competitor coupons- the notice behind customer service desk- and the managers- always stated this. Its not a new policy- I guess its simply that checkout operators didn't know how the giftcard rule was supposed to work........

They've copped on that there is an increase in Tesco gift cards being bought...
    You cannot buy lottery, tobacco, phones, call credit etc with gift cards now.

• Advertisement

They've copped on that there is an increase in Tesco gift cards being bought...
    You cannot buy lottery, tobacco, phones, call credit etc with gift cards now.

Let me guess- people used competitor coupons to buy giftcards (which they weren't supposed to have been allowed to) and now Tesco are freaking....... Is this it?

Yeah. I thought it was obvious!
    My local Tesco is nestled between a Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and a Dealz. They're suffering, they've even put up a sign telling people to buy newspapers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96389733&postcount=183

Yeah. I thought it was obvious!
    My local Tesco is nestled between a Aldi, Lidl, Dunnes and a Dealz. They're suffering, they've even put up a sign telling people to buy newspapers http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96389733&postcount=183

This was because people were nipping down to the magazine aisle and tearing coupons out of papers- and not purchasing the papers. My local Tesco has a security guard dedicated to the magazine aisle on the days there are coupons. Esp. with the coupons on page 2- the barcode (for the paper) is on the other side of the coupon- and if its simply torn out- the paper becomes unsaleable.

Its more a measure to stop people tearing the coupons out- and leaving Tesco with bundles of papers that they can't sell- than anything else.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

This was because people were nipping down to the magazine aisle and tearing coupons out of papers- and not purchasing the papers. My local Tesco has a security guard dedicated to the magazine aisle on the days there are coupons. Esp. with the coupons on page 2- the barcode (for the paper) is on the other side of the coupon- and if its simply torn out- the paper becomes unsaleable.

Its more a measure to stop people tearing the coupons out- and leaving Tesco with bundles of papers that they can't sell- than anything else.........

Was in Naas Extra yesterday and found 4 papers with the voucher knifed outta them . Paper in tatters and hid behind the baby stuff.

Stupid behaviour to be honest. Tesco will prosecute any form of shoplifting as well as criminal damage , that store has camera everywhere.

Is saving 2 euro by destroying their stock really worth being arrested in front of everyone or banned from the shopping center?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

Folks.
    Apologies in advance if this has already been explained but does Tescos accept the €10 voucher that Dunnes give after a €50 shop?
    Secondly is there an expiry date on those vouchers?
    Many thanks!

johnire wrote: »
    Folks.
    Apologies in advance if this has already been explained but does Tescos accept the €10 voucher that Dunnes give after a €50 shop?
    Secondly is there an expiry date on those vouchers?
    Many thanks!

Yes- they do.
    Yes- there are validity dates on them.
    The Aldi ones- typically expire on the Sunday week after issue (8-10 days)
    The Lidl ones- which are only in certain Sunday papers- expire the following Saturday- i.e. they are valid for 6 days.

The Dunnes one- when used in Dunnes- generates a new voucher- which is a significance difference to all the other vouchers- and a good reason to use them in Dunnes- rather than in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have vouchers from supervalu where to get money off when you spend a certain amount. We only use Supervalu for basis during the week, bread, milk etc. can this voucher be used in Tesco or Lidl or Aldi?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Have vouchers from supervalu where to get money off when you spend a certain amount. We only use Supervalu for basis during the week, bread, milk etc. can this voucher be used in Tesco or Lidl or Aldi?

Tesco only (not Aldi or Lidl)- or course in Supervalu itself.
    Aldi and Lidl accept their respective vouchers. Tesco take all competitor coupons (with a few exceptions- they seem to be a bit hit and miss with M&S, Iceland and some other vouchers).
    Also- Tesco may have implemented some exceptions to voucher usage- e.g. normal practice is now that they will not be accepted as part payment for phone credit, gift cards and electronics- where they were previously- however, its spotty, some stores will let you away with it- other won't- and indeed, in some stores- some staff don't seem to have gotten the Memo- others have etc etc)

They are also no longer allowing customers bundle vouchers- e.g. 4 * 50 spend vouchers on a 200 Euro purchase of groceries- now you have to break it into 4 separate transactions- which is causing chaos at some of the tills.

Its really eating into margins at Tesco- and indeed their competitors- which is why prices have been increased across the board (for anyone willing to keep an eye on these things). There are headline price reductions- such as milk and icecream- wine too sometimes- but its more than made up for price increases elsewhere- normally on products that you just can't get a bearing on what a reasonable price for the product might be elsewhere......... Even Aldi and Lidl- have increased their background prices- as any frequent customers will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Leaflet in the clubcard statement today saying this finishes on the 24th of august but any coupons printed on or before the 24th will be taken for 28 days.
    Edit: Got it wrong, it was the price promise coupons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leaflet in the clubcard statement today saying this finishes on the 24th of august but any coupons printed on or before the 24th will be taken for 28 days.

Clearly they've decided they're being ridden by customers. Which is a nice reversal of them riding Irish customers for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G3467

Note that this refers to the "Price Promise" coupons only, not to the €10 Lidl, Aldi etc. coupons.

G3467 wrote: »
    Note that this refers to the "Price Promise" coupons only, not to the €10 Lidl, Aldi etc. coupons.

Ah, those are useless anyway. Lots of deliberately fudged comparisons to ensure they never have to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

G3467 wrote: »

Ah, sorry. Misread the leaflet!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its really eating into margins at Tesco- and indeed their competitors- which is why prices have been increased across the board (for anyone willing to keep an eye on these things).
    I noticed tesco pulling beer offers early. Online it would say what date it was to end on and then days later I checked and the offer was gone or changed. I had emailed someone the date so was not mistaken.

I hope it doesn't go the same way as the junk mail pizza companies, where you have to use a voucher to buy something for the true value.

rubadub wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't go the same way as the junk mail pizza companies, where you have to use a voucher to buy something for the true value.

And Milano, for that matter... seems to be a standard practice in the pizza world.

Anyone sniff possible lidl/aldi newspaper coupons for Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are all Tescos still taking competitor's coupons?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are all Tescos still taking competitor's coupons?
    Yes, except the Express ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Yes, except the Express ones.

I often use coupons in an Express store and only as recent as last Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

Anyone sniff possible lidl/aldi newspaper coupons for Easter?

There was last year so fingers crossed!

Advertisement