Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Communion dresses €24.99

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

I have communion next year so bought one and put it away. Tried it on my daughter and obviously it is too big but she thought it was absolutely gorgeous and can't wait to wear it !!!! Even bought one of the headpieces so just need shoes and we are all set - happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Agreed if my I knew how my now 4 year old would grow I'd buy one too and put it away. I suppose for the money you could take a punt on it. Or even get both sizes lol. Very tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Bet they will only sell them to well off people, poor people always spend the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

mcko wrote: »
    Bet they will only sell them to well off people, poor people always spend the most.

Strangely true in general, reason being I think is rich people provide stuff for their kids all year like a few holidays, weekends away, toys etc etc but poorer people focus mainly on the main events and go all out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

And some poorer people spend more than they can afford, getting themselves into debt in the process. Just like at Christmas time. People with more money seem to have a bit more sense and taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Its not so much sense but poorer people need to impress their friends and family more. My kids made a communion and a confer last year and I was shocked at the amount of money people were spending. I got a cheap dress for my daughter and was shocked when the woman who sold it to us asked what school we were from as she only sells one dress to each school. We could not believe that people would care, but their you are.

A bit off topic, but I feel it is time to stop making the communions in school, if people are interested they should have to attend a weekly class in their local church and make it that way. Most kids don't go to church from one end of the year to the next, my own included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

A bit off topic, but I feel it is time to stop making the communions in school, if people are interested they should have to attend a weekly class in their local church and make it that way. Most kids don't go to church from one end of the year to the next, my own included.

Already pretty much in hand. We are transitioning to exactly that, and priests are also saying they may deny the sacrament to non church goers. There is another thread on this exact subject somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mrs CCC

The communion dresses are reduced to €12.49 and the gloves and bag set are €4.49 today.. Picked them up for next years big day.. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

I think they brought them out a bit late. Communions are less than a month away in many places so lots of people will have bought already. Fantastic value though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They are lovely dresses, a great price. I overheard two ladies talking about them in my local Aldi last week:

"Sure you could buy a really expensive dress and there could still be another girl wearing the same one."

They had a point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Seemingly a lot of people who bought them did so for younger children, in the hope that they will have different ones in stock by the time they make their First Communion, and will therefore not be identifiable as the "Aldi dresses". According to the ladies in the school yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reduced to €12.49 in Aldi Enniscorthy,not sure about other stores.

I ASKED A COUPLE of parents would you put your child in one of these dresses all said no

they would shell out even if they didn't have the cash

why like ? to keep up appearances

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

I ASKED A COUPLE of parents would you put your child in one of these dresses all said no

they would shell out even if they didn't have the cash

why like ? to keep up appearances

I know - the thing is as well, it is supposed to a be a religious ceremony in any case !!!

It's all a desperate waste of money paying out hundreds for a once off and most people don't even go to mass anymore so the irony is unreal.

Unfortunately keeping up with the Joneses is an Irish obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

MammaZita wrote: »
    Seemingly a lot of people who bought them did so for younger children, in the hope that they will have different ones in stock by the time they make their First Communion, and will therefore not be identifiable as the "Aldi dresses". According to the ladies in the school yard!

Very clever. :)

Advertisement