Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Communion dresses €24.99

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

vicwatson wrote: »
    All this "communion" stuff is not about the children (or dare I say it, god/belief in catholic church, either) - it's always about the parents wanting their little Susie to look like she's getting married and to be individual, yet they are infact not a bit individual they are just like little sheep prancing up the aisle.
    Absolutely - it's a complete farce. Zero point in wasting so much money on a dress/suit your child is going to grow out of within the year.

If you're so worried about the dress looking the same, it costs next to nothing to alter it a bit.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've bought 5 already. Now I can order those midget brides I've always wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We bought the Paul Costelloe ones in dunnes recently to be used as bridemaids dresses. Great quality for €55 notes. It was only whilst looking for these that we saw the joke prices some shops are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

tk max in cork have a few nice communion dresses for 25 and 45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'd say 75% of people putting their children forward for "communion" don't go to mass on a regular basis, hypocrites !

Great, then let's separate the schools from the church and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

We bought our eldest daughter her dress in TK Maxx last year, 29.99 and her younger sister will wear it this year. Mind you, it cost more to have it dry cleaned than it would have done to buy a new dress (in TK Maxx or Aldi anyway):rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our local st vincent de paul shop has the most gorgeous brand new communion dresses for under 50 euro.
    They are probably last years left overs or samples so pretty though.
    I would nearly prefer they wore school uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Aldi looked at all the money spent on garth brooks tickets not one direction !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Jet Black wrote: »
    Problem is trying to get the missus to go for it. Won't even look in dunnes and the like. Sent her that link and she laughed at me.

This here is the exact problem. The mammies and grannies etc are fueling this fascination with girls and appearance on what is typically a religious day. And we wonder why girls are so obsessed with weight and appearance, and then the same mammies will be blaming fashion magazines for the problem.

Sure the school where my daughter is making her communion use robes for the actual communion mass so a dress is not even seen. But do you think that will stop every single girl having a dress ready to go once the mass is over, fcuk no.

Don't tar us all with the same brush!:D

Most of my energy will be spent on convincing my youngest daughter that yes, she does have to wear a dress and not jeans and a jumper, but heck yes, she CAN take it off straight after the church if she wants.

Last year my other daughter couldn't wait to get into her dress and didn't want to take it off at all.

I was a complete tomboy myself as a child and my youngest takes after me that way, I don't know where my older girl gets it from, but she is much more into dresses etc. It's definitely not promoted in our house, I don't discourage it either- it's just a small part of a much bigger picture!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Similar to the "requirement" for fancy hand embroidered dresses for Irish dancing that makes the art an exclusivist reserve of the middle classes, I have seen the problems parents have with money when it comes to Holy Communion days. I used to work as a milkman years ago and was always skipped on payments on the week of the holy communions.

It will probably take society decades go get rid of this sartorial farce which is so unecessary to the act of receiving a religious sacrement in the first place.

Clergy and middle class merchants plotted to rip off gullible working class parents with spurious social obligations leading to over ornate and over elaborate churches, dresses and rituals which are not needed to partake of a religious experience. So much for the absence of materialism in Catholic religious practice.........

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

common sense & school uniforms would be my preference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

common sense & school uniforms would be my preference
    Agree 100% with this.
    Communion is about religion and not about all the dosh and bling.
    Kids are then singled out,slagged off and bullied by others if they dont have this that or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Guys,

Please discuss the bargain: value, quality and alternatives etc.

This is not a place to discuss School, Church, Religions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Back on topic, it's a pity that stocks are limited as I can see these been sold out quite quickly, hopefully Aldi will envisage the demand and hold extra stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

I bought "the dress" last summer for €35 it has a little bag and bolero with it. I got shoes and socks in dunnes for €18.50, her aunt is getting her an umbrella as a gift. She has mentioned that she would like gloves so I might try Aldi for them, she doesn't like things in her hair so no need for a veil.She already has her christening candle and rosary beads.
    I really think if I hadnt bought that I would have bought off adverts, some lovely dresses up for sale with all the bits and pieces!

It's amazing how much the extras cost, like the bag, shoes, socks, gloves, veil etc. I ended up buying a few things from ebay last year. I had a shock when I went into a communion shop to look for a veil and they wanted almost 50 for the most basic one! That would have been more than the dress. Guineys tend to have things like gloves, socks etc quite reasonably. Again I went into Debenhams to look last year and a pair of white socks were 20! There's definitely value on ebay but one thing I couldn't buy online were the shoes as really you do have to try them on. Ended up getting them in Monsoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Beautiful dresses. I can see them being gone by lunchtime. Though accessories can cost a pretty penny, the dress is always the biggest stress for parents. Fair dues to Aldi, Lidl usually has the same offers either a week before or later, so fingers crossed they'll have some more for people soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its an option for those on low incomes.

I remember going to a communion a few years back and some kids were being dropped at the church by a pink playboy hummer.

Yes they were kids from the traveling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

mikeym wrote: »
    Its an option for those on low incomes.

Not really.

It's an option for people with active brains in their skulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

dockleaf wrote: »
    It's amazing how much the extras cost, like the bag, shoes, socks, gloves, veil etc. I ended up buying a few things from ebay last year. I had a shock when I went into a communion shop to look for a veil and they wanted almost 50 for the most basic one! That would have been more than the dress. Guineys tend to have things like gloves, socks etc quite reasonably. Again I went into Debenhams to look last year and a pair of white socks were 20! There's definitely value on ebay but one thing I couldn't buy online were the shoes as really you do have to try them on. Ended up getting them in Monsoon.
    You should shop in Co Limerick. The essentials are obviously cheaper there.I was stuck in traffic in Adare last year as the kids were leaving the church with their mums (no men in sight). Mums and kids had orange skin, girls had enormous dresses and mums were in high heels, high skirts and low tops. They loaded into a small convoy of white HumVees. I assumed they were going to a local shrine to pray.

Plenty of bling bling communion dresses for sale on Donedeal if you have the urge.:D

I'd say co.limerick has some of the most expensive communion dresses and accessories in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kila2008

I think that Communion is like any other occasion, you can decide to spend as much or as little as you want on it. Its all up to the individual person and nobody should feel any pressure to keep up with what other people are doing.

I think its great that Aldi are offering more affordable options for parents as its only for one day. I was lucky with my DD, she's didn't want any 'fussy detail' so opted for a reasonably priced, simple dress. I remember bringing her into a local bridal shop just to see what they had and she immediately asked to leave, telling me that all the dresses were too fussy.

Once she found her 'simple' dress, she wanted to know if she would be allowed to sell it on Ebay afterwards and keep whatever she got for it :)

I remember seeing dresses reduced in TK Maxx the year of my daughter's communion but after the 'Communion season' with a few dresses down to €13 and they were perfectly nice dresses. If her communion had been the following year, I would definitely have bought and stored it in the wardrobe for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

My friend spent €500 on a dress !!!!!!!! Why would you do this ??? Insane is all I can say its a communion not a pageant but that's how people treat occasions now can I do better than so and so . Life's too short to blend in !!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

P.s saw the dresses in aldi yesterday and they are stunning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I checked the first day they were on sale, and no one seemed interested in them, I had thought they would be cleared out early in the morning, great value imo and everyone saying they are great but still people holding back...still loads available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Soon enough they'll all be doing their communions online through Skype with virtual priests and printable communion bread, which will taste slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There's still a good lot of these left in every aldi I go into, I think people are worried that some other girl would turn up in the same dress or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The dresses are stunning... my daughter is only in Junior Infants so I wouldn't buy one just yet but if it was next year I'd jump on one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

phasers wrote: »
    There's still a good lot of these left in every aldi I go into, I think people are worried that some other girl would turn up in the same dress or something.

Yes shocked to see plenty left in my local Aldi this morning (I'm in Dublin 15!). They are beautiful dresses. If I knew what size my 4 year old would be in 4 years time I'd buy one now.

Advertisement