Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Communion dresses €24.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

FSM colanders on offer next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Thats a great idea in fairness.

Im sure there is many families really worrying about these events.

Good move. They have their market fairly well figured out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Plenty of communion dress shops won't be happy about this. Delighted, they've been ripping people off for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The whole communion "thing" is a rip off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What about the boys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Fair play to them

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

snubbleste wrote: »
    What about the boys?

Good deals on lifestylesports.com :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The awkward moment when the whole class of girls is wearing the same two dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Problem is trying to get the missus to go for it. Won't even look in dunnes and the like. Sent her that link and she laughed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Cue the competitive Pseudo Snobs ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

hfallada wrote: »
    The awkward moment when the whole class of girls is wearing the same two dresses.

How is that awkward, all the boys wear the same uniforms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I agree, a girl that age should be plenty pleased they got a nice dress at all. They are such conformists at that age, depending on the school, it's the rich ones who might be the odd ones out when the rest of the class has parents with sense. They look quite nice, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

They are very nice dresses, absolutely nothing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Plenty of communion dress shops won't be happy about this. Delighted, they've been ripping people off for long enough.

I went into one of those shops.
    She showed me some for €800.
    I said "for a communion dress, not a wedding dress".
    She then proceeded to show me other communion dresses and stressed "If you want to go CHEAP then our CHEAPEST is €250".

A lot of schools are doing the simple shawl kind of thing now, Stops parents having to feel like they have to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Jet Black wrote: »
    Problem is trying to get the missus to go for it. Won't even look in dunnes and the like. Sent her that link and she laughed at me.

That's the thing, its not the kids, they don't care/know what there wearing, its the parents "keeping up with the Jones"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

newkie wrote: »
    I agree, a girl that age should be plenty pleased they got a nice dress at all. They are such conformists at that age, depending on the school, it's the rich ones who might be the odd ones out when the rest of the class has parents with sense. They look quite nice, in fairness.

IME, it is not the rich ones whose parents lack sense. The biggest spending is usually from the ones who can least afford it. Then they go whinging to the newspapers about how they were "forced" to go to a moneylender to finance the "big day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

IME, it is not the rich ones whose parents lack sense. The biggest spending is usually from the ones who can least afford it. Then they go whinging to the newspapers about how they were "forced" to go to a moneylender to finance the "big day".

'Dey tuk away r comoonun grant Joe, dey forsed us te go te d munny lendrs'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I think it should be mandatory to wear school uniforms for communication and confirmation. Less hassel for hard up families. I know some parents wont agree and want wee jonny and mary in the best of clobber and want to show off. Fook them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Accessorise ;)

brightkane wrote: »
    I think it should be mandatory to wear school uniforms for communication and confirmation. Less hassel for hard up families. I know some parents wont agree and want wee jonny and mary in the best of clobber and want to show off. Fook them!

Parents COULD decide to send their kids in the school uniform. There is no obligation to do the big dress up thing. If the majority did that, soon the minority would as well as their kids would not want to be the odd ones out.

Mind you, if there was no "big day" of dress up and party, I bet the vast majority of parents would decide not to bother with First Communion at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

To be fair tk maxx have had them on sale for under €30, think its a personal thing. Can get some lovely stuff out there for reasonable price if ye want to and go looking as opposed to going to "communion boutique"

Redpunto wrote: »
    To be fair tk maxx have had them on sale for under €30, think its a personal thing. Can get some lovely stuff out there for reasonable price if ye want to and go looking as opposed to going to "communion boutique"

Someone had a brainwave about the stupidity of parents when they came up with the idea of a communion boutique.

MAORISH wrote: »

I think more to the point if FHC preparation was taken out of the schools and the parents had to do all the preparation work it would be very interesting to see how many kids would rock up on the day ?

I remember hearing a Teacher say first confession should be renamed last confession as kids are never taken by the parents again after FHC.

Indeed, it should be taken out of the schools. The main reason for the peer pressure is because the prep is in school. Most parents wouldn't take part if they had to haul the kids to prep outside schools, or make any kind of effort at all.

As for the kids, all they care about is the money they will get, and for the girls, being "princess for a day".

Awkward for whom? The Parents :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

My thoughts exactly.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Awkward for whom? The Parents :rolleyes:

You're not a girl, are you?

Red Nissan wrote: »
    You're not a girl, are you?

All this "communion" stuff is not about the children (or dare I say it, god/belief in catholic church, either) - it's always about the parents wanting their little Susie to look like she's getting married and to be individual, yet they are infact not a bit individual they are just like little sheep prancing up the aisle.

I'd say 75% of people putting their children forward for "communion" don't go to mass on a regular basis, hypocrites !

Suppose it's for another thread, though this thread's wheels fell off a couple of pages back.

How is that awkward, all the boys wear the same uniforms

It's a manly thing to wear the same stuff.

Great Bargain though OP, nice 1 but I'm out !!

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    All this "communion" .

For another thread perhaps, I'm an atheist too, but it's about ALDI's cheap cloths for an occasion, be that the beach, night time, garden wear, work wear or religious service wear.

Advertisement