Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan GP 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hmmzis wrote: »
    They'll probably wipe the floor with the bunch and will spit it out the back on the last lap, I'd guess.

What I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

In an interesting way?

Sorry, humour fail. I've raced with the ladies on the track loads, but not on road. So it's a new dynamic for me. An interesting dynamic.

Sorry, was a bit of a blunt question but wasn't meant to be. Raced with a few in the club league and they've more than held their own. Might make the bunch more polite and a little more testosterone fueled. But I doubt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

There were a number of women in last years A4 race who were right there in the mix.

The Lucan GP was supposed to be my glorious return to racing but I've got day job stuff to do. Still, could be worse, I could be doing the Des Hanlon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Is there any recommended spots for viewing this race? Kind of interested in starting to race but want to watch a few events first to get the feel of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The finish line is on the race lap and is a nice open stretch of road. I'd go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is there any recommended spots for viewing this race? Kind of interested in starting to race but want to watch a few events first to get the feel of it.

+1 on Vlad's suggestion. If you're mobile, I did an lap on the bike last year in the opposite direction, and caught the bunch at various points before stopping at the line to catch the various finishes.

Minimum race length is three laps, so plenty of time to get around.

Obviously be careful where you stop, you don't want to get in the way of the riders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

daragh_ wrote: »
    There were a number of women in last years A4 race who were right there in the mix.

There were, yes, but I think the numbers showing up to races so far this year means they may make their presence felt a little more this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Surprised the women are with the A4s. The majority of women have taken out A3 licences for the past few years. I seem to remember its to do with CI and A4s not being able to compete in National Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

I presume it means there is a separate prize for ladies in A4 but in other cats there is no separate prize?

With a separate ladies race on Sunday in the Des Hanlon Id guess most will do that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

onimpulse wrote: »
    I presume it means there is a separate prize for ladies in A4 but in other cats there is no separate prize?

With a separate ladies race on Sunday in the Des Hanlon Id guess most will do that instead.

Last year there were prizes awarded for the first unplaced woman in each of A4 and A3, though there was only the A4 prize advertised. If there's enough women wanting to race A3, LCRC might do the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

The finish line is on the race lap and is a nice open stretch of road. I'd go there.

Anyone know if there is a drag up to the finish, say similar to mullingar gp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

From Strava it actually looks like a slight downhill finish and if the wind on Saturday is the same as today, then it'll be also with a tail wind.
    Don't forget your 53x11 for the bunch gallop :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

its an uphill drag finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Doing this on Saturday. Hope all the Lucan riders have to marshal, as there swallowing up a lot of points lately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

greenmat wrote: »
    Doing this on Saturday. Hope all the Lucan riders have to marshal, as there swallowing up a lot of points lately :)

Yes, but there are lots of them. Where you see one, there's bound to be more and more lurking. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

From Strava it actually looks like a slight downhill finish and if the wind on Saturday is the same as today, then it'll be also with a tail wind.
    Don't forget your 53x11 for the bunch gallop :D.

The finish is slightly uphill and pretty much wide open. There is usually a crosswind on this section although during December 2013 it was a raging tailwind up to the finish.

With a bit of luck the crosswind will blow favourably and you might get the 53 x13 spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

ragazzo wrote: »
    The finish is slightly uphill and pretty much wide open. There is usually a crosswind on this section although during December 2013 it was a raging tailwind up to the finish.

With a bit of luck the crosswind will blow favourably and you might get the 53 x13 spinning.

Looks like tomorrow will be a tail wind:
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/dunshaughlin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 db2014

Anybody have any directions from rathoath?Not familiar with this area....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

db2014 wrote: »
    Anybody have any directions from rathoath?Not familiar with this area....

Head towards Trim. Can't miss Batterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Head towards Trim. Can't miss Batterstown.

Unless you follow the signs that taken you down the motorway...

Trim should be on the signposts out of Rathoth, when you get to roundabouts and see the motorway just go straight across the bridge (not onto the motorway) and down the old Trim road, brings you through Batterstown.

Just wanted to clarify as I know some of the signs do direct trim traffic down the motorway to exit after Dunshaughlin - if that happens it's not a disaster, you'll end up on the race route & Batterstown is signposted - it's just longer & you'll get stung for a toll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Best of luck to everyone today. I'm marshaling out at Dunsany.

many thanks to Lucan and everyone involved today. Well organised, safe race in a3. Enjoyed it,. Finished with the bunch. First real race of the season so happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye very well run and marshalled race, thanks to Lucan, no crashes in A4 as far as I saw, got up for the Gallup but didn't place, not too far away though. Started out miserable, driving hail and an icy wind, but thankfully it died down and the sun was peeking out towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭De Bhál

lennymc wrote: »
    many thanks to Lucan and everyone involved today. Well organised, safe race in a3. Enjoyed it,. Finished with the bunch. First real race of the season so happy enough with that.

Just want to second this, very well organised by Lucan, from the start with lads sorting out the carpark out to the marshalls on the circuit shouting out directions on roundabouts etc in to a fantastic spread of sandwiches and cakes.
    This was my second A3 race, first time racing this circuit, it's a perfect fast racing route with one of the safest finishing straights I've seen. Big wide open road.
    As for the race, I barely warmed up as the weather was brutal so the speed from the off was a shock to the system. I settled in after a while and got up the front for the second half of the race. Would've liked.another lap to be honest. Anyway didn't finish in the points but happy with the effort.
    Well done again Lucan.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Big thanks to Lucan for once again putting on such a great race. They couldn't do anything about the weather but everything else was spot on.

Great to see so many forum members out racing. Well done to those who picked up envelopes (there was a few from what I could see).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

any results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

First A3 race for me and no warm up and the fast pace from the start meant I lost the wheel on the first lap! Bit of a disaster, but lessons learnt! Lap seemed good and organization was great, well done Lucan!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Well done Lucan CC, great days racing. Marshals were brilliant, nice cup of rosie, sambos and cake after. First time for me on this circuit, very fast but safe one. Very big A4 group, but generally well behaved. Still plenty of assholes throwing gel wrappers thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

That was a very well run race, very safe and plenty of marshals and the scone with jam and cream afterwards was just heaven! :)

Came 2nd in A4, very happy with that. Massive kudos to the Dublin Wheelers lad who stuck it out off the front till the end. Tried chasing after him on the 2nd lap but all I could do was take out 20sec or so from his 40sec gap and then the bunch got me. It seemed that everyone was happy to let that one man go but a second man off the front seemed to be a big no-no (or was it my green leg warmers? :D).

• Advertisement

That was a very well run race, very safe and plenty of marshals and the scone with jam and cream afterwards was just heaven! :)

Came 2nd in A4, very happy with that. Massive kudos to the Dublin Wheelers lad who stuck it out off the front till the end. Tried chasing after him on the 2nd lap but all I could do was take out 20sec or so from his 40sec gap and then the bunch got me. It seemed that everyone was happy to let that one man go but a second man off the front seemed to be a big no-no (or was it my green leg warmers? :D).

must be the bike :)

Advertisement