Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Shiminay wrote: »
    I still maintain that the French Revolution would be a brilliant setting for an AC game, but if the hints listed in the OP are true and it's Russia, then that's cool too.

I ended up with Assassins Creed fatigue after 3 and haven't played Black Flag yet. I'm really happy that the reviews and opinions have been overall quite favourable of it, so I'll probably get stuck into it during the summer.

There was another rumour going around that it is London during the industrial revolution, China, French Revolution.

Black Flag was announced last March so I hope we will hear something soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Victorian / industrial London would be a great setting (albeit one being pinched by The Order at the moment) - the smoky, smoggy streets would be a nice contrast to the blazing sunshine we've gotten with the series thus far, and would be a welcome fit for the 'assassin' part of Assassin's Creed :pac:. Plus loads of room for steampunk inventions to take advantage of (the Da Vinci stuff mixed things up nicely back in AC2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

tok9 wrote: »
    I've put about 3-4 hours into AC4 and I haven't touched it since. I'll get back into it since I bought it but I really don't understand why it was being hailed so much.

It just gets very boring and honestly the combat... the combat is terrible imo.

I think that it's mostly because Kenway is less of an insufferable dullard than Connor was. The main story missions were no better than those from AC3. Perhaps if Conner had a personality that wasn't so bloody awful people would have forgiven the dodgy gameplay like they have with Black Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I ended up with Assassins Creed fatigue after 3

struggling tru 3 atm, same issue ac fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There's only one setting that would reignite my interest in the series, feudal Japan, and for the love of god drop the modern setting, it adds nothing to the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I ended up with Assassins Creed fatigue after 3 and haven't played Black Flag yet. I'm really happy that the reviews and opinions have been overall quite favourable of it, so I'll probably get stuck into it during the summer.
    On the off chance you haven't heard yet, there'll be a game of the year edition of Black Flag. I haven't gotten to Black Flag yet, and sure, for quite a while there, it was fatigue from AC 3 being well, what it was, that isn't the whole story for me.

I also wasn't quite sure what platform to get it on. I kinda figured best not to get it on 360, so that left the PS4, One and PC. I haven't gotten either PS4 or One and Black Flag isn't enough to compel me to change that, so may end up getting the GOTY on Steam sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd at least partially blame AC3 fatigue on the fact that AC3 was, let's be honest, a bit ****.

The series has shown itself capable of course correction before, and Black Flag is a step in the correct direction. They need to radically minimise two things though: a) the amount of pointless shiny trinkets and b) the eavesdrop / trailing missions. Both are examples of broken, lazy design.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd at least partially blame AC3 fatigue on the fact that AC3 was, let's be honest, a bit ****.

The series has shown itself capable of course correction before, and Black Flag is a step in the correct direction. They need to radically minimise two things though: a) the amount of pointless shiny trinkets and b) the eavesdrop / trailing missions. Both are examples of broken, lazy design.

A better combat system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

J. Marston wrote: »
    A better combat system too.

Ac3 combat is terrible, i thought it was me sucking :pac:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ac3 combat is terrible, i thought it was me sucking :pac:
    Switching around what button did what wasn't innovative, it fecked me up, that's about all that did.

• Advertisement

I've never finished any game in the series. I've put around 10 hours or so into all the games bar Black Flag but my interstate always wanes and I end up ignoring the game till so much times has passed that. I'd have to start it all over again. And yet with such a limited number of titles available for the PS4 I'M seriously considering grabbing the GOTY edition of Black Flag at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nearly every AC game has crap direct combat.

Sneaking around and using the hidden blades is where most of the fun is at. Direct sword combat consists of two things, continuously tapping square or holding R1 and tapping square when the enemy strikes. Very dull and it needs a big revamp in the new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

I've been struggling through Revelations for a while now. I have AC 3 from PS Plus, should I even bother with it though or just jump to Black Flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    I've been struggling through Revelations for a while now. I have AC 3 from PS Plus, should I even bother with it though or just jump to Black Flag?

After AC 2 was my joint favourite GOTY when it was released and Brotherhood was bloody brilliant, Revelations was an awful slog and I couldn't even finish AC3. I recommend looking up youtube vids for the story of 3 if you're interested and jumping straight to Black Flag as that is an absolutely fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd honestly tell you not to bother.

In fairness with 3 and 4 at least they added the sea battles which is the best part of the games.. that said. I don't think they could hold my interest for a whole game and black flag is a testament to that since I haven't gone back to it.

The assassins part is pretty much identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The trailing missions are gas, you're supposed to be an assassin blending in and have a ridiculously elaborate assassin-y costume amongst a bunch of wenches and regular looking folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I honestly don't think AC3 as a game was any worse than Black Flag.

I will say it was an awfully buggy game though.. probably the worst I experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I really enjoyed ACIII but I realise I am in the minority around here. I put over 30 hours into that game. The naval segments are great and I thought the main story was pretty good. One aspect of the game that is far better than the equivalent in Black Flag is the Homestead. You build up a whole community that opens up lots of side content. The Hideout in Black Flag is totally pointless by comparison.

Don't get me wrong though, overall Black Flag is the better game but ACIII is pretty great too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kotaku has a leak with details of the next Assassins Creed game, which seems to be partly set in Paris. The screenshots are a little rough, but the most exciting thing for me is that they have dedicated buttons for parkour(up) and parkour(down), meaning that the criticism of the controls has finally resulted at them looking at it.

Also in there, apparently there's going to be two different games, one for Xbox One/Playstation 4, one for ps3/360.

tiqke0prxcukw3r7v3if.png

Couple of more images:

dcbc08cqhxtspmtpiiag.png

ojrxzdlagqakgvwkledr.png

It is interesting that they are going for two big games in one year. At least one of them will be current gen machines only so they should look pretty good.

• Advertisement

There better be a pile of Hay at the bottom of the Eiffel Tower!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    There better be a pile of Hay at the bottom of the Eiffel Tower!

You're a century off there ;)

You're a century off there ;)

I didn't see a time period mentioned. Aaahhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,449 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A bit of diversity in the time periods of these games would be nice. 18th century yet again. Looks like it could end up being a load of excuses to string parts of the French revolution together like they did in AC3. The problem with these types of settings is that the developers seem duty bound to touch every historical base often to the detriment of the game's own narrative. A touch of ambiguity is needed to make such a fantastical type of story (the AC universe's overarching narrative) feel as if it fits into a cohesive package. Hopefully I'm wrong and this ends us as good if not better than AC2, but I was burned once with AC3 already.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here's a video of it. Looks very impressive, but the whole watch dogs thing has me a little wary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

FKING NAILED IT! I've been saying French Revolution on this forum for years for the AC series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Some rumours about the next Assassin's Creed game over on Neogaf. Source seems pretty flimsy though.

Seems pretty spot of for the most part so far.

Can we get the name of this thread changed to reflect the fact that it is titled Unity and not V?

Also the video looks nice but the AC games always have amazing CG trailers. Will have to wait to see some real gameplay.

Can we get the name of this thread changed to reflect the fact that it is titled Unity and not V?
    There's word that there will be two new AC games this year, one for last gen one for current gen. It's an open question if there will be a need for two threads at this point.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    There's word that there will be two new AC games this year, one for last gen one for current gen. It's an open question if there will be a need for two threads at this point.

Hopefully we will get some information on the PS3/360 game soon. I honestly can't see them calling the other game AC V though. They wouldn't go to the next numerical sequel on the older machines.

Advertisement