Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed V

Options
  • 24-02-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

Looks like the hype cycle for Assassin's Creed V is gearing up for another round. I'm all on for another AC game after enjoying my time so much with IV. I'm excited to see when and where the game will be set. They have invested so heavily in all the naval gameplay in the last two games it is difficult to see them jettison those features entirely. So are Vikings a possibility?

Ubisoft's Jade Raymond has said that the new game will be set in her favourite historical era.
    Assassin’s Creed has explored the Crusades, the Renaissance, American Revolution and most recently pirates. The fifth installment will feature her favorite historical era, Raymond says, but she can’t even give a hint of what that is because it would ruin the surprise. She did dispel the rumor that it is set at the end of the samurai age in Japan. That said, she thinks that would be a cool idea.
    Source

And then the ACInitiates Twitter posted two cryptic messages.
    AC Initiates ‏@acinitiates 3h
    (4e6f727468) = 110.646 - 55.762667
    AC Initiates ‏@acinitiates 2h
    (45617374) = 74.795917 - 37.579250

The first Tweet is North in hex and the second is East. And now if you log into the ACInitiates website you will see a new message about solving a puzzle for a destination, which is posted from Vladivostok, Russia.

So Russian revolution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I wanted ninjas and samurai, I leave disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So Russian revolution?

Plenty to work with there, middle of world war 1. A lot of it would fit with previous AC games, plenty of scope to work with characters like say Rasputin perhaps too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Cold war era Soviet Union could be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pirates Creed will still be better than whatever Assassins V turns out to be. They've hit a winner with pirates and they would be stupid not to follow up with a dedicated franchise. I've even gone and named it for them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

God I'm sick of the never ending series at this stage.
    It'll be AC10 soon enough, and you'll be Nick Drake....it's obviously where he gets the climbing skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Their is always one party pooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

deco nate wrote: »
    Their is always one party pooper!

Desmond?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kirby wrote: »
    Pirates Creed will still be better than whatever Assassins V turns out to be. They've hit a winner with pirates and they would be stupid not to follow up with a dedicated franchise. I've even gone and named it for them! :)
    From the sounds of things they may be making a separate pirate game.

In the abstergo mission they do list a few possibilities I kind of liked them all, even the Irish revolution ones, image roaming the rooftops of Dublin during the easter rising. Or going back even further to when Ireland was the stronghold of Christian civilization while the rest of Europe was in the dark ages.

The Egyptian setting would be good too but egypts glory days where thousands of years ago not really in the time frame of assassin's creed.

I just hope they stay away from recent American history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have played all the games except for AC 3.

I am getting a little weary of the storyline though - storyline being the modern conspiracy theory one that links all the games and timelines together.

Last night I was playing a modern section of Black Flag and couldn't care less about the modern story, would nearly rather if they dropped it altogether, we don't need it as an excuse for more games anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It'll be AC10 soon enough, and you'll be Nick Drake....it's obviously where he gets the climbing skills.

I would have thought the same after ACIII, but to Ubisoft's credit IV was the quality jolt the series needed - a big, sprawling game that largely made good on its concept and settings. Not perfect by any stretch (all those forts are curiously similar, and the actual story missions are very often a load of arse) but I was surprised by its quality and ambition after the failed experiment of III. It's the only annual franchise I can think of that does try something new with its basic formula, which is to its credit.

Still, I would like to see a game where they took maybe an extra year to craft something truly spectacular, and trust themselves to move away from the filler that blights even the best games in the series. And, thus far, there has been a sort of trend where every second proper sequel is great (II and IV vs I and III) - hopefully V will break through that. A 'full' next-gen sequel is also the perfect opportunity for a more radical revision to the mechanics and style than we have seen thus far. And for the love of god fewer tailing / eavesdropping missions - their death will be a mercy killing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SeantheMan wrote: »

Drake and Desmond sound suspiciously alike too...

If Drake and Desmond are related, that would mean Francis Drake was an Assassin too, which means we might get a game as him sailing the seas and exploring, which means more sea shanties!

Yay! More Sea Shanties!

Is Black Flag actually as good as the hype? I've played most of the AC series and felt cheated by them over and over. Love the setting, hate the following exposition around and being told I'm disconnecting when I do things the game doesn't like. It never felt like a proper open world because of it. Is it still like that? I'm picking up a PS4 soon and was considering trying it out, but not if it's exactly like the other games with boats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As I said, it's not perfect - they still struggle to give you meaningful stuff to do in the story (many missions are a complete chore to finish as the game demands) and there's still a heavy reliance on collecting and repetition. BUT it is by far the most satisfyingly open world they've created so far, and I've spent hours on end taking to the high seas and exploring the vast world they've created. Indeed, first time you sail out of port and take a look at the map you're very much left dizzy with the scale of it all. It's a real pleasure to explore, helped by the fact that, on PS4 anyway, is very often breathtakingly beautiful. It's also dumps you out of the world far less regularly.

There's still the annoyances of Assassins Creed past, but given the riches they're much more endurable. I also strongly disliked Assassins Creed 3 by the time I was finished with it (any goodwill I had for its ambition was zapped as the game slugged onwards), but Black Flag makes me more enthusiastic about the franchise's future potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They should better just make a NEW AC game and new Story. Even drop the whole fecking future thing and focus on one time and event.
    I have not touched AC since first one. the further it goes with its story, the least I want to get any new AC game as I could not be ****ed catching up with Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Black Flag is my first Assassins Creed game, and I couldn't care less about the AC part of the game when on land doing sneaky sneaky stuff. I spend most of my time out to sea, with my crew, plundering ships, and just being a pesky pirate. I even sing along to all the shanty's and let out an auld "Arrrr" with the lads when we do something piratey.

To be fair, Black Flag does kind of start from scratch, and the overall mythology is very much relegated to the background and is pretty much completely ignorable. There is 'future stuff', but of the twenty hours I've played I'd say I've spent barely an hour of that outside the Animus (and it would have been less than half of that if I didn't go poking around for secrets and in-jokes). There's some subtle tie-ins to what came before, but it's far less prominent than the previous sequels have been. When you're actually plundering and shouting 'Yarr!' with great gusto, it really couldn't matter less how much or little you know about Desmond's story. It's probably as fair a compromise as they could have reached without completely abandoning the series' sci-fi premise, and to Ubisoft's credit they actually poke quite a bit of fun at themselves through having it all set in the offices of a game development company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

To be fair, Black Flag does kind of start from scratch, and the overall mythology is very much relegated to the background and is pretty much completely ignorable. There is 'future stuff', but of the twenty hours I've played I'd say I've spent barely an hour of that outside the Animus (and it would have been less than half of that if I didn't go poking around for secrets and in-jokes). There's some subtle tie-ins to what came before, but it's far less prominent than the previous sequels have been. When you're actually plundering and shouting 'Yarr!' with great gusto, it really couldn't matter less how much or little you know about Desmond's story. It's probably as fair a compromise as they could have reached without completely abandoning the series' sci-fi premise, and to Ubisoft's credit they actually poke quite a bit of fun at themselves through having it all set in the offices of a game development company.

The whole Animus **** really pushes me out of immersion in game. I cannot really explain it, but you know its there, its not real world and you are just a fragment of memory.

The whole Animus **** really pushes me out of immersion in game. I cannot really explain it, but you know its there, its not real world and you are just a fragment of memory.

That's the feeling I've always had with the games. I'm not enjoying it because I can't suspend my disbelief at all. The lines that appear on screen drive me crazy. The last thing I want to see in a historical setting is anything modern/futuristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't mind splitting time between the Animus and the future setting outside the Animus. I just wish they would switch back to the 3rd person style gameplay of ACIII for the future sections rather than the ponderous first person gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Some rumours about the next Assassin's Creed game over on Neogaf. Source seems pretty flimsy though.

• Advertisement

No pirates. Booooo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The outside the Animus sections in ACIV were painful. Hacking multiple PCs, doing annoying puzzles, seeing all the art work from the last few games all over the office, listening to Shaun and Rebecca. Please make it stop!

That Shaun and Rebecca must be the worst under cover Assassins too, they stuck out big time, shouting in the lobby. Doesn't say a lot for Abstergo if they didn't spot them.

The main reason the modern day sections ruin the experience for me are, that they seem a lot less serious than the historic stuff, Shaun and Rebecca are almost childs cartoon type characters, and the Abstergo people too to an extent .

I barely listened to that Minerva or Juno or whoever she was at the end of ACIV, I just tuned and played on my phone till I could go back into the Animus, no idea what the modern day story was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've put about 3-4 hours into AC4 and I haven't touched it since. I'll get back into it since I bought it but I really don't understand why it was being hailed so much.

It just gets very boring and honestly the combat... the combat is terrible imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I liked the idea of the audio logs in the Abstergo sections, but what i hated about them was that you couldn't listen to them while walking around. Nope, you'll stand there in a restricted room and just read the text of the audio you're currently listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Picture of the next Assassin?
    1393007612494.jpg

This is the poster last year

attachment.php?attachmentid=18917&d=1393007666

Nope. That is Edward Kenway from Black Flag. You can even see the Jackdaw in the backround.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Nope. That is Edward Kenway from Black Flag. You can even see the Jackdaw in the backround.

In the first picture?

The second was to show they change the picture with each new game.

Ah ha. The first picture didn't show up when I replied.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I still maintain that the French Revolution would be a brilliant setting for an AC game, but if the hints listed in the OP are true and it's Russia, then that's cool too.

I ended up with Assassins Creed fatigue after 3 and haven't played Black Flag yet. I'm really happy that the reviews and opinions have been overall quite favourable of it, so I'll probably get stuck into it during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Wasn't there an email in one of the computers in AC4 about one guy wanting to extract his memories from a relative from the Irish War of Independence? Someone start a petition!

Advertisement