Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nexus 6

Options
  • 24-02-2014 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭

Rumours that Google will launch the Nexus 6 in June at their I/O event, earlier than their usual Q4 launch of Nexus phones.

Also talk of a Google smart watch launching at the same time http://phandroid.com/2014/02/23/google-smartwatch-io-lg/

Could we see the Nexus 6, smart watch and the Nexus 8 tablet all available this summer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Rumours that Google will launch the Nexus 6 in June at their I/O event, earlier than their usual Q4 launch of Nexus phones.

Also talk of a Google smart watch launching at the same time http://phandroid.com/2014/02/23/google-smartwatch-io-lg/

Could we see the Nexus 6, smart watch and the Nexus 8 tablet all available this summer?

Does that mean there will be a new version of Android? I'm not even on kitkat yet. (Officially)

As nice as that concept watch is. I cannot see it looking like that. No bezels or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Speculation that the next OS update will be July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'd say new tablets with a 7/8 and a 10 inch along with a watch but wouldn't expect a new phone until the Autumn. They usually release an android update twice year. Once during the I/O and another during the Autumn pre holiday shopping. Both of these OS updates are launched on new devices. If they were to release a new phone, watch and tablet at I/O then what would they launch an updated OS on in the Autumn?

The Nexus 5 is one of the best phones you can get and can't see it replaced this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Dudda wrote: »
    I'd say new tablets with a 7/8 and a 10 inch along with a watch but wouldn't expect a new phone until the Autumn. They usually release an android update twice year. Once during the I/O and another during the Autumn pre holiday shopping. Both of these OS updates are launched on new devices. If they were to release a new phone, watch and tablet at I/O then what would they launch an updated OS on in the Autumn?

The Nexus 5 is one of the best phones you can get and can't see it replaced this early.

Completely agree with Dudda, Nexus 5 will only be 6~ months old by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Definitely won't be a nexus 6 in June/June.

New Android version for sure, but again just another incremental update, so will be 4.5 and will probably launch with new tablet ranges - maybe Nexus 8 or Nexus 10.5/11.

There's been rumours from early in the year that Google would be heading towards 64 Bit OS to jump to the same field as Apple.

Which would mean an Android 4.5 in Summer is just a ploy to launch new tablet ranges and Android 5 "lemon cheesecake" would arrive in all its glory during the usual Nexus Launch window in Oct/Nov with the Nex6 being the Flagship device.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What the hell would even he in the Nexus 6? The Nexus 5 is about as high end as it gets. Can't really see it happen at all,a Nexus 8 and new Nexus 10 could though.

I still have a Galaxy Nexus and I'm really wanting to upgrade to something new but the Nexus 5 just isn't doing it for me.

It just isn't a big enough jump forward to justify the amount I'd have to spend on it given the networks here don't have it

Maybe I'll crack and splash out on it, but I'm going to try to hold out until the next Nexus comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I still have a Galaxy Nexus and I'm really wanting to upgrade to something new but the Nexus 5 just isn't doing it for me.

It just isn't a big enough jump forward to justify the amount I'd have to spend on it given the networks here don't have it

Maybe I'll crack and splash out on it, but I'm going to try to hold out until the next Nexus comes out
    The Nexus 5 is available on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Carphone Warehouse in the North have now dropped the price of the sim free N5 to £240 approx. €290.

via Bargain Alerts.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Leaked factory designs lads:
    vCuOL1I.jpg

I'm the same. Didn't feel the N5 was worth the upgrade.

My Gnex is starting to show it's age. Feeling very sluggish and I've had to buy an extended battery pack.

Was thinking the s5 would offer me the impetus to upgrade but that launch yesterday was terribly underwhelming.

Might look towards the Z2 or the new HTC one instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Uriel. wrote: »

My Gnex is starting to show it's age. Feeling very sluggish and I've had to buy an extended battery pack.

Was thinking the s5 would offer me the impetus to upgrade but that launch yesterday was terribly underwhelming.

What, you didn't feel the Nexus 5 was worth an upgrade from a Galaxy Nexus? Not sure what you're expecting, things have leveled off, all they can offer now is slightly faster or ever so slightly bigger

What, you didn't feel the Nexus 5 was worth an upgrade from a Galaxy Nexus? Not sure what you're expecting, things have leveled off, all they can offer now is slightly faster or ever so slightly bigger

Yes it didn't offer me anything particularly innovative etc outside of kitkat, most of the features I got anyway with the software update.

I'm not saying the N5 isn't a faster or better phone than the GNex. I'll I'm saying is nothing inspired me to go out and spend a few hundred upgrading.

Yeah mine has gotten noticeably slower the last few months

I might take a look at 3 for the N5 and if it's a good enough deal I might take the plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Feck this thread!

Just got my N5 on Saturday and now your talking about the N6....

Hope it ain't announced this year til the usual October/November time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Mine is still flying and thats even with the Google experience launcher from the N5 :D I have to say i love my N5 theres not a phone on the market that id have over it, some come close but the N5 is just perfect for me, i went from a GNEX to an S4, i sold that after a couple weeks and paid for a N5 havent looked back ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fresh rumours over last 24 hours that Google are to stop producing the Nexus range and focus on 'silver handsets' which sounds like a step further on the Google Play edition hardware we've seen.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/29/5664702/google-nexus-to-be-replaced-by-android-silver

http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/04/29/google-drop-nexus-phone-line-new-premium-android-silver-program/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Fresh rumours over last 24 hours that Google are to stop producing the Nexus range and..

[Jimmies rustled]

Someone bind Gran Hermano's hands with Duct tape for the rest of the day..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Strange to title anything 'Silver' for a premium market. You can't escape the implication that there's a better 'Gold' or 'Platinum'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Strange to title anything 'Silver' for a premium market. You can't escape the implication that there's a better 'Gold' or 'Platinum'.

Its most likely a code name tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I'd imagine this will have a bad impact of the cost of top end phones.
    No more €400 top of the line Nexus 5 :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fluffy88 wrote: »

First thing that came into my head as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

ah well those other newish chinese lads have good cheap stuff coming out...like...the...eh...ONE PLUS ONE. that looks decent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd say we will be getting 600 quid Google Play Editions of the S5....

I'll stick to my N5 for a long time I would say if that's the case....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Good news for Developers and a better user experience across the board for Android device users but bad news for the value Nexus range. After having the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 I swore I'd never go back to another range. Shame if they just let it die.

And just after they bring devices to Ireland. But no official word from Google, so hopefully it's not true. I was planning on getting a Nexus 6 as my next phone when it was released.

I'm confused, is the Nexus 5 the last Nexus so? Or will there still be a Nexus 6 which will be the last of its line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm confused, is the Nexus 5 the last Nexus so? Or will there still be a Nexus 6 which will be the last of its line

Nobody knows yet. Only rumours. I would be sick if they stopped making them. Although the one plus looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Interesting thing about the name here. :)

techtimes.com/articles/15466/20140912/ google-nexus-6-aka-x-rumor-roundup-what-expect-googles.htm

419 for a 32GB version. Still 300 less than a 16GB iPhone 6.

Thinking of giving my iPhone away and moving to the Nexus X and 9. :)

So it's expected to Next month roughly...

Advertisement