Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm dreaming of smoked salmon, goats cheese and runny eggs.

Food was a real problem for me last time breastfeeding makes me unbelievably hungry so must stock up on healthy stuff and not so healthy stuff at the weekend :) supper at 430 and breakfast at 730? And I don't have milk so breakfast is 2 slices of toast... Which would be fine if there wasn't such a massive gap!

I am definitely getting proper food brought into me this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

pwurple wrote: »
    Feck that! I was in a double room the last time and three roomies past through. The first girl had rhianna blasting all times of day and night from her phone. Second one had the screechiest baby i've ever heard, and third one was a smoker, who kept going for sneaky fags in the shared loo. Yeuch. I've done my time... It's my turn to be unsociable.

The cheese will be stinkiest one that can be had. It won't last long. Give me 5 minutes alone with it. :D
    Oh my god, can you imagine doing that??? That is the most ignorant thing to do. Was this in CUMH? One of the many reasons I'm praying for a straightforward birth and healthy baby so I can get home to my own bed asap!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

For my tea the day after delivery I asked for poached egg on toast and asked for the egg to be soft. It arrived, all lovely and runny and gorgeous. 'Twas the nicest thing I'd eaten in months! Nicest meal I had the whole time I was in the hospital.

I dreamed of double decker runny-yolk fried egg sandwiches with butter and a sprinkle of salt throughout my pregnancy. Himself made me one the minute I came home from the hospital.

And he put together a hamper of champagne, pate, cheeses, and all the other stuff I had to avoid during pregnancy. Knew there was a reason I had his baby :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had smoked salmon and runny eggs on both pregnancies and no problems! Sometimes even at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

pwurple wrote: »
    Feck that! I was in a double room the last time and three roomies past through. The first girl had rhianna blasting all times of day and night from her phone. Second one had the screechiest baby i've ever heard, and third one was a smoker, who kept going for sneaky fags in the shared loo. Yeuch. I've done my time... It's my turn to be unsociable.

The cheese will be stinkiest one that can be had. It won't last long. Give me 5 minutes alone with it. :D

OMG!! Im a smoker but i would flip out at that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

lazygal wrote: »
    I had smoked salmon and runny eggs on both pregnancies and no problems! Sometimes even at the same time.
    Me too, I didn't even know runny eggs were a problem! The only thing I have really avoided is Pate, I had a bit of brie over Christmas and have had smoked salmon a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

99/100 there's going to be no issue! But I wasn't and amn't prepared to take the risk. There was smoked salmon recalled at Christmas because there was a batch contaminated with Listeria. It's advised not to eat it and for the sake of a few months I don't! God I can't wait to have some though :)

Neyite I am so "mentioning" that to my hubby when he gets home tonight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »

Mmmm my most favourite dish!!! I've tried to stay away from the runny eggs tho. Think I've had them once or twice. Ate smoked salmon as normal bit stayed away from it since the listeria scare a couple months ago. Gonna pig out majorly!!! Mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Just bumping this thread up to first page, as today at 36 weeks I'm finally putting bag together and I remember this thread had some handy tips in it , and ill be referring back and forth to it during day... wish me luck haha

any of the new mammies any new tips.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

These yokes ... disposable changing mats, they'd definitely be on my list if I went again! My bed was ruined with his various bodily fluids ... he was (and still is!) a very pukey messy baby. Not a problem if you're only there for a few hours, but we were kept in for four days, and although the sheets were changed each morning it was icky going to sleep in a pukey bed every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

These yokes ... disposable changing mats, they'd definitely be on my list if I went again! My bed was ruined with his various bodily fluids ... he was (and still is!) a very pukey messy baby. Not a problem if you're only there for a few hours, but we were kept in for four days, and although the sheets were changed each morning it was icky going to sleep in a pukey bed every night.

Cumh seemed to put these on the bed anyway. Maybe because I was bleeding heavily but I assumed they were standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I asked for the sheet to be changed if necessary. Had a baby with mucous second time. I also had those plasticy yokes on the bed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I just asked for the sheet to be changed. They never had any problems doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Maybe I was just unlucky, it was a very busy time when I was in, when I asked to get them changed I was told it would be done but it never actually happened! The ward was extremely overcrowded and understaffed. Which is understandable, you can't predict when babies will be born, and if they all happen to come at once of course the resources available in the hospital will be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Maybe I was just unlucky, it was a very busy time when I was in, when I asked to get them changed I was told it would be done but it never actually happened! The ward was extremely overcrowded and understaffed. Which is understandable, you can't predict when babies will be born, and if they all happen to come at once of course the resources available in the hospital will be limited.

This happened to me with the first. So after about an hour of waiting ( i refuse to get in to soiled bed) i pulled off the soiled sheets. Used the ones that you are supposed to cover yourself with to lie on and put my night gown over me.
    Midwife next morning wasnt happy that no one changed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

That happened to me with an overflowing sanitary bin in the bathroom the evening I went in to be induced. They seemed to be up the walls that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I was given a couple of spare sheets while they were busy and someone changed it when they got the chance. The spare ones tided me over at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Just to mention when I was admitted to the ward while in labour with ds one I got sick from the pain and vomited all over my nightdress :(
    Great idea to have a spare one or 2 just in case . Gas and air made me nausea too but I managed to miss my nightie and puked the floor !!!!
    Sorry for tmi but be prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

lashofeye wrote: »
    Just to mention when I was admitted to the ward while in labour with ds one I got sick from the pain and vomited all over my nightdress :(
    Great idea to have a spare one or 2 just in case . Gas and air made me nausea too but I managed to miss my nightie and puked the floor !!!!
    Sorry for tmi but be prepared

I had three in my labour bag, I think, or two at least. Figured I'd be a mess after giving birth so had a clean one to put on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

nikpmup wrote: »
    I had three in my labour bag, I think, or two at least. Figured I'd be a mess after giving birth so had a clean one to put on

I had two nighties and a pair of PJ's for walking around in before labour actually kicked off (induced)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I also had two. One to give birth in and one for afterwards. Puked on the first one. Midwife gave me a gown so I'd still have my clean one for afterwards. Next time I'll take 3 !

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

I'd also pop any medication your partner is on into your bag because with all the rushing around getting to the hospital it's likely to be forgotten. You don't know how long you'll both be there for so they may not get a chance to nip home and get some.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

deecee1 wrote: »
    I'd also pop any medication your partner is on into your bag because with all the rushing around getting to the hospital it's likely to be forgotten. You don't know how long you'll both be there for so they may not get a chance to nip home and get some.

And paracetamol. The heat in a hospital can bring on headaches and because he isnt a patient, he wont be given anything like that, best bring in his usual pain relief. He might appreciate a toothbrush and paste to freshen up if you are in for the long haul too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

Thanks for the paracetamol tip, didn't even think of it. Remembered his meds though and have toothbrush, deodorant and change of t-shirt in there for him.

deecee1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the paracetamol tip, didn't even think of it. Remembered his meds though and have toothbrush, deodorant and change of t-shirt in there for him.

Throw in a pair of socks.;) I vaguely remember someone saying on a forum that their waters or something broke and soaked his socks and had to squelch around in wet feet for a few hours.

If no disaster happens, he might appreciate them when freshening up after 12 hrs in a labour ward anyway.

I packed a little ''man survival kit''! Which consisted of; loads of €2 coins, a plain white tshirt, plain boxers, miniature shower gel, face wash and deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, paracetamol, a spare phone charger and a few other bits & bobs. It all fit into a man's washbag. (carefully folded!)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Finding it hard to fit everything in my bag! Those maternity pads are like matresses, they take up so much room!
    Think I'll have to have a third bag to leave in car with spare pads, nappys , pjs etc

They're huge! In hindsight, I'd leave out the breast pads, I didn't use them until my milk came in and I was home at that stage. I actually didn't use anywhere near the amount of mat pads that I bought, I didn't really bleed that heavily after the birth? I had a c-section, don't know if that made a difference, but after a couple of days it was just like a regular period; always pads would have done the job. Ironically, my periods are so heavy these days that I use the leftover mat pads at night :rolleyes:
    I think I had just about the right amount of stuff - my list a couple of pages back looks huge but most of it was travel miniatures or small stuff - even my PJ's were summer ones with vest type tops so they could fold away really small. The most important thing was loads of pairs of big granny pants, I was really glad I had them, they were mahoosive but they didn't rub on my scar and were comfy. Big packs of them from Penneys for a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

nikpmup wrote: »
    I packed a little ''man survival kit''! Which consisted of; loads of €2 coins, a plain white tshirt, plain boxers, miniature shower gel, face wash and deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, paracetamol, a spare phone charger and a few other bits & bobs. It all fit into a man's washbag. (carefully folded!)

We signed up to the "park by text" thing. Sooooo handy! We were warned at ante natal that no one would give us change around holles street and the do clamp!

• Advertisement

We did the same, the €2 were for coffees, chocolates etc. When we arrived at the labour ward, the first thing I did was send him back downstairs for a coffee and a sambo; he hadn't eaten and I knew he wouldn't get the chance later. The midwife and the med student in with me thought I was mental!

Advertisement