Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy bags

Options
  • 22-02-2014 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've lost my hospital list!!! So I know we need 3 bags (as per Holles St anyway)... Does anyone has a link or a quick run down of what to put into the bags? Can barely remember last time.

I know to put babygros, nappies, vests, hat, wipes or cotton wool into baby's bag... But am at a loss of what to put in mine...

Nightdresses, mat bras, pads, breast pads, toiletries, disposable undies, ... Anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

2 bags is plenty.

You need a couple of nighties/jamies.
    Breast pads
    Maternity pads,
    Shampoo/conditioner/shower gel,
    Some towels,
    a good book,
    flip flops (for the showers,they are shared with alot of people)
    clothes to wear home (yes I forgot these!)
    Anti bacterial wipes

For baba
    vests,
    Babygros,
    Nappies,
    Wipes,
    Muslin squares
    bibs

For your labour bag
    an outfit and nappy for the baby,
    Tens machine
    change of clothes for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks a mill... I probably should've packed them ages ago. Was out at dinner last night and my friend kinda looking at me wide eyed that I hadn't packed already at 37 weeks when i went a week early last time. Lol. So I said if better get it done today. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

lol... I had mine packed and ready from about 32 weeks..... at 36 weeks I haad to pull it asunder to get some pjs out as I was admitted to hospital for a kidney infection, and the day after I was released I had to ring my sister in a panic to buy me more pj's and bits & pieces cos my waters had broken! I have a list somewhere...I'll dig it out.

Lol. I'm just so last minute! When my waters went last time (contractions 3-4 min apart) I was grabbing at the bags trying to add stuff to them that I hadn't put in! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I packed each of my bags the day I went to hospital on all three girls. Thank god for waters breaking but no contractions for a while.

I'm bringing:

Labour bag:
    2 night dresses
    Underwear (4 pairs, just in case!)
    A few maternity pads
    Towel
    Wash bag
    First outfit for baby (packed in a sandwich bag, that tip was from Neyite, so vest, babygro, hat, mittens, nappy and vaseline to put on to stop first poo sticking)
    PJ's to change into after baby is born.

Ward bag:
    4 x PJ's (again just in case)
    2 towels for me(my partner can bring more if I need them)
    Baby towel, in case I want to bath him in there but I didn't on the last two.
    8 pairs of underwear
    Packet of nappies
    Baby wipes
    Pack of maternity pads
    6 outfits for baby (in the sandwich bags)
    Anti bac wipes/hand sanitiser

My partner can bring in mine and babies going home outfit, I'll leave them laid out for him along with extra stuff just in case I'm kept in longer than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nightdresses are much comfier than pjs. I left clothes for going home at home and himself brought them in the morning I left so they didn't smell of hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Why the sandwich bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Why the sandwich bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

One thing I found handy - I brought a few disposable shower caps (you can get them in Boots.) Because I had an episiotomy, I was told to have three showers a day while in hospital - and you're not going to go washing your hair every time!

And make sure to bring clothes for going home in, or at least leave them laid out at home. My boyfriend "couldn't find" any of my clothes, so brought me in his own tracksuit bottoms and tshirts instead. Lovely. :/

One thing I found handy - I brought a few disposable shower caps (you can get them in Boots.) Because I had an episiotomy, I was told to have three showers a day while in hospital - and you're not going to go washing your hair every /

I always take the plastic shower caps from the hotels when we stay so was very pleased to find a couple of them in boxes when doing my bag up today :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

jakeypooh wrote: »
    Why the sandwich bags?

The sandwich bag is just a handy way for keeping a babygro, nappy, vest, Vaseline, mittens, hat together in your labour bag so your OH isn't rooting around trying to find stuff when the baby arrives. I saw that tip here and found it very handy.

If it looks like you are going to go very far over it might be handy to pack some sort of unscented baby moisturiser. Another boardsie gave me that tip when I was induced at 10 days over. My little chicken was over cooked that her little feet and hands were very dry and peeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

One thing I found handy - I brought a few disposable shower caps (you can get them in Boots.) Because I had an episiotomy, I was told to have three showers a day while in hospital - and you're not going to go washing your hair every time!

And make sure to bring clothes for going home in, or at least leave them laid out at home. My boyfriend "couldn't find" any of my clothes, so brought me in his own tracksuit bottoms and tshirts instead. Lovely. :/

Oh thats a good idea re the shower caps. Something to add.
    Oh brought my clothes in no prob but my shoes wouldnt fit. Had no swelling when pregnant but the size of my feet aftr. Had to come home in flip flops. . None of my shoes would fit for days and it was april and cold so couldnt wear flip flops out. So got a pair of runners in pennys 2 sizes too big. Hopefully i still have them. Might have them ready incase theyre needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

This might be a silly question, first time mum here. But what should I bring to wear for the delivery ward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

effibear wrote: »
    This might be a silly question, first time mum here. But what should I bring to wear for the delivery ward?

I got a nightshirt from Penneys, maybe mid-thigh length, so easy to pull up when the time came. And it buttoned all the way down the front, so was handy for trying to breastfeed.

I wouldn't spend much money on whatever you get ... mine went straight into the bin after labour!

Heatons had similar ones, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Just a few things from someone who recently had the pleasure!

Your labour ward bag doesn't need much - nightie, undies, towel, flipflops, shower toiletries (you might want to have a shower/bath during labour), sandwich bag with babies clothes (because if you end up having a section you won't bring the bag with you so it's handy to have everything in one bag to hand to your midwife). Couple of nappies for baby and pads for you. Hairbrush, lip balm.

Then a second bag for on the ward. In addition to things already mentioned, here are a few more things I found useful.

Re maternity pads - make sure they are the green backed thick ones. A few of the ladies on my ward just had normal ones which weren't up to the job! And make sure your knickers are fine big ones for your own comfort!

Most toilet paper - A MUST!

A few hangers. I was in hospital for almost a month and moved room a few times and not one of the wardrobes had hangers!

A pen and notebook - very handy for keeping track of things midwives tell you, writing lists for hubby etc

A nightlight or torch on your phone - great for night feeds.

Download a feeding app for your phone to keep track in those first few days of how much and how often baby feeds, pees and poops!

A roll of those small bin liners for poop stained or blood stained clothes and underwear (nappy bags aren't big enough).

Don't bring loads of baby clothes - about half a dozen is loads. If you need more send the dirty ones home and get new ones brought in. Same for your own jammies - a nightie for labour and another for on the ward and then pyjamas for after that.

A small changing mat for changing baby on the bed otherwise you are liable to sleep in a shopy bed! I got one in Tesco for under €6 that folds small and does the job perfect.

A nice blanket to wrap baby in because the blue blankets in the hospital aren't the best for taking photos. I didn't think of this before and all our photos of our girls are in scratchy blue blankets :(

A pillow - another must. If you have a body pillow bring it as it can be used as a nursing pillow.

Hopefully you wil have a natural and complication free birth and won't need to make too much use of all this stuff, but plan for the possibility of being in for 5 days just in case.

I would recommend you use the space in your case for these things and leave going home clothes, extra clothes etc for someone to bring into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I got a nightshirt from Penneys, maybe mid-thigh length, so easy to pull up when the time came. And it buttoned all the way down the front, so was handy for trying to breastfeed.

I wouldn't spend much money on whatever you get ... mine went straight into the bin after labour!

Heatons had similar ones, too.

Great thanks I'll keep an eye out for something similar!

I got those nightshirts from penneys too.... in the hospital every second woman I saw going to the shower post-birth was wearing the same thing :D

Please dear Lord, out of consideration for your ward mates, please ensure your nightie is fairly long! I was sick to death of seeing women in hospital with arse skimmers and being able to see their unmentionables!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do the night shirts from Penneys button all the way down or half way down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I would also add for your labour bag mags/book something to do! I was induced it took 3 days no tv and bored out of my brains!

I had my nightdress taken off and hospital gown put on once I got epidural... And yes make sure nightdresses are long enough! I wore leggings or pj bottoms under mine a lot of the time: I wasn't walking the hospital with my legs bared for everyone to see ;) and I kept clothes with me because I was out walking the grounds too...

I have two small bags packed with pjs/spare outfits/nappies/pads etc so when hubby is coming in each day he can bring one in when coming and bring it out full of stuff after.

Oh and dark pyjamas: not fleecy ones either unless you want to roast! Vest tops are really handy for popping boob out if your trying to breastfeed and just throw another top over it for visitors...

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Do the night shirts from Penneys button all the way down or half way down?

Half way, down to the belly button! HL, I got mine in a size 18 so that it was good and long, it came down to just over my knees.

Found my list!

For me:
    Slippers
    Dressing gown
    4 pairs pjs
    Socks
    2 breastfeeding vest tops
    2 breastfeeding bras
    Towel & head turban towel
    Nipple shields (sterilised and sealed in their little cases)
    Toiletries:
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Shower gel & shower puff
    Toothbrush & paste
    Mouthwash
    Alcohol hand gel
    Vaseline
    Tea tree oil
    Senekot
    Vaseline
    Razor
    Earplugs
    Face wipes
    Deodorant
    Hairbrush
    Shower cap

Phone charger.
    2 packs maternity pads
    10 pairs big granny pants
    1 box breast pads

For baby:
    8 sleepsuits
    8 vests
    2 hats
    4 pairs mitts
    3 bibs
    24 nappies
    Nappy bags
    Cotton wool pleat
    2 hooded baby towels
    Vitamin D3 drops
    Milton wipes (for wiping down the cot etc)

Labour Bag:

2 nighties (one to give birth in, one to change into should I need to after the birth or during labour if I get messy!!)
    Disposable pants
    Maternity pads
    Small toiletries bag with shower gel, deodorant etc
    Facecloth
    Towel
    Slippers
    Warm socks

Baby outfit (nappy, vest, sleepsuit, hat, mitts, cardigan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I have said this on here a few times before but the most valuable thing I had in my bag was a hot water bottle!!:) i had my oh walking behind me holding it on my back when the labour pains kicked in and it was also nice for the few days afterwards for whatever pains you may have!!

Gee_G wrote: »
    I have said this on here a few times before but the most valuable thing I had in my bag was a hot water bottle!!:) i had my oh walking behind me holding it on my back when the labour pains kicked in and it was also nice for the few days afterwards for whatever pains you may have!!

I was in hospital with a kidney infection a few days before I had the baby, and I had one of those microwave heat packs - they actually had a microwave on the ward specifically for heating them. In labour, the midwife produced a heat patch, it did help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wow nikpmup, that's a lot of stuff. There is feck all storage space from what I remember in CUMH so I'll be packing as light as I can. I have a bag packed for one-two night stay, and then an extra one at home to bring in for longer stay if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I had my bags planned quite well. Anything I thought I needed I didn't and vice versa. Things I've learned:
    I brought 9 baby grows and vests and most came home brand new even after 4days stay (with baby- 5 days for me). Next time I'll bring less and oh can bring more if needed.
    It's unbelievably hot in the rotunda anyway and there is no way I'll be bringing a dressing gown / pj top with long sleeves anywhere near the place.
    Nighties are comfy and pack down small but as said, pj bottoms are necessary underneath.
    Breast pads aren't needed til your milk comes in and you're likely to be home before that. Take a few from pack just in case but not whole box. (I find the washable ones good and less wasteful).
    Nice toiletries in minis make you feel good :-)
    A mineral water spray was a godsend for me during labour and to cool down on the ward.
    I've stayed on 2 other wards in the rotunda besides post natal and it's crazy but you get less space on postnatal than any other. Factor in a cot and there's barely room to move. It was really difficult to root through cases for stuff so for me, less is more and anything I've missed oh can bring in.
    I also brought plastic bags for dirty laundry.
    I had two carry on size suitcases and it was too much!
    My opinion of course, others will differ!

pwurple wrote: »
    Wow nikpmup, that's a lot of stuff. There is feck all storage space from what I remember in CUMH so I'll be packing as light as I can. I have a bag packed for one-two night stay, and then an extra one at home to bring in for longer stay if needed.

It does look like a lot! The things I didn't use were the breast pads and funnily enough the maternity pads - maybe it was because I had a section, but even in the first few days I didn't bleed much.

All the toiletries were in mini size. One thing I wish I'd packed was paracetamol - one of the days there was a very frazzled young nurse on duty, I must have asked her for pain relief twenty times. I finally got it about five or six hours after I was supposed to have gotten it, and I was in agony! 2 days after a c-section!

I managed to pack all of the above into a small gym-sized holdall (labour bag) and a meduim sized case.

Totally agree on the less is more in the rotunda. No space at all. That's why I suggested a nightlight - the switch for the small bedside light was behind the bed. Add in being sore from labour and a cot and it was an obstacle course to get in behind the bed to switch it on. Even worse for me with two cots. Definitely bring in the minimum and do swaps with dirty stuff out, clean stuff in. I also agree with not bringing too much for baby - I had twins and in 5 days used 5 sets each and that was just cos I wanted to change them each day.I could have gotten away with less. Some babies will be pukey so you might go through more, but wait and see how you get on the first day and get more brought in if needed.

nikpmup wrote: »
    It does look like a lot! The things I didn't use were the breast pads and funnily enough the maternity pads - maybe it was because I had a section, but even in the first few days I didn't bleed much.

I had a section too and bled A LOT. Dunno if that was because I had twins and my uterus was stretched more, or if it was because just after the op the IV with the oxytocin collapsed and no one noticed until I started to come around myself and told them. As a result the meds were going into my muscle not vein so weren't working quick enough so I just kept bleeding. I was close to needing a transfusion, had I not noticed the huge lump the size of a tennis ball on my arm :rolleyes: so that might have contributed to my blood loss.

Totally agree on the less is more in the rotunda. No space at all. That's why I suggested a nightlight - the switch for the small bedside light was behind the bed. Add in being sore from labour and a cot and it was an obstacle course to get in behind the bed to switch it on. Even worse for me with two cots. Definitely bring in the minimum and do swaps with dirty stuff out, clean stuff in. I also agree with not bringing too much for baby - I had twins and in 5 days used 5 sets each and that was just cos I wanted to change them each day.I could have gotten away with less. Some babies will be pukey so you might go through more, but wait and see how you get on the first day and get more brought in if needed.

Oh, that reminds me, for next time - a skipping rope to tie to the side of the bed so I can pull myself up out of it lol!

I used all the baby stuff and then some - but my lad was pukey, pooey and pissy. Managed to pee in the air at every nappy change!

• Advertisement

I had a section too and bled A LOT. Dunno if that was because I had twins and my uterus was stretched more, or if it was because just after the op the IV with the oxytocin collapsed and no one noticed until I started to come around myself and told them. As a result the meds were going into my muscle not vein so weren't working quick enough so I just kept bleeding. I was close to needing a transfusion, had I not noticed the huge lump the size of a tennis ball on my arm :rolleyes: so that might have contributed to my blood loss.

OUCH!!

Advertisement