Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I was allowing for a pukey baby when I packed which thankfully she wasn't! She was also nudey in an incubator a lot of the time which obv isn't gonna be every child but then the majority of women on the ward were sent home after 24 hrs. So I think next time I'd plan for that as you said pwurple and leave extras out at home just in case.

My oh is great and helped me buy clothes and stuff but still he didn't get the diff between a baby gro and vest! Coach your partner lol :-)

HL- I felt like I had twins as the ward was so tiny next doors cot was pushed permanently in beside my bed so I couldn't get out without moving my own cot! It was weird having a cot shape protruding out of the curtain!! Luckily the people were nice though :-)

My sil gifted me maternity pads. It was the best gift. I cried. I made my oh get loads extra on 3for2. They're still in the bathroom!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

January wrote: »
    Do the night shirts from Penneys button all the way down or half way down?

They have some at the moment which button the whole way down, as does tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Brilliant, will check them both out tomorrow, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Brilliant thread. I'm not due til June, but I definitely will be taking advice from this. I'm leaning towards the 'less is more' route. I don't know what the space in CUMH is like, but I'd imagine it's tight and I expect it to be roasting. I have a little handheld fan I might throw in the bag. I'm hoping to get away with a very small bag for labour (something like a changing bag) and then a hand luggage sized bag for the ward. Hubby will be coming and going and worse case scenario, there is a Penny's just across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Hi Girls, good luck to all of you. Just a quick post about the sandwich bags,,they are brilliant any time you are travelling with kids, you can put an outfit (including socks and undies) into each bag and leave them in the bags until you need them. You can see at a glance what's in each bag and if you have packed them carefully and squeezed out some air before sealing, they shouldn't be wrinkled upon opening. Saves so much hassle when away,and of course you can pop the dirty clothes back in the bags if you want.
    Good luck to all of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

ncmc wrote: »
    Brilliant thread. I'm not due til June, but I definitely will be taking advice from this. I'm leaning towards the 'less is more' route. I don't know what the space in CUMH is like, but I'd imagine it's tight and I expect it to be roasting. I have a little handheld fan I might throw in the bag. I'm hoping to get away with a very small bag for labour (something like a changing bag) and then a hand luggage sized bag for the ward. Hubby will be coming and going and worse case scenario, there is a Penny's just across the road.

I pretty much got everything from Penneys! That would be awesome if there was a penneys beside Holles Street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi ladies, OP here. Thanks for all the replies. This has turned out to be a great thread with loads of good suggestions for new mums to be :).

It's Penny's all the way here for me aswell! I'm nearly finished packing bags now. But thought I'd mention last pregnancy I bought a pack of the disposal undies and although they were grand I also bought a couple multi packs from Penny's. there's 5 in a pack (not disposable), but they're only around €4 per pack. They're kinda cute and made me feel somewhat human and hold the maternity pads in place a lot better than the disposable ones from the pharmacy. You can wash them or throw them out as they're not expensive.

Also I may have missed it but I don't think anyone's mentioned Nipple Cream. Obviously not everyone will need it. But can be good to have if you intend on breastfeeding. I bought the Lasinoh cream... It's bloody expensive but it worked for me last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've lost my hospital list!!! So I know we need 3 bags (as per Holles St anyway)... Does anyone has a link or a quick run down of what to put into the bags? Can barely remember last time.

I know to put babygros, nappies, vests, hat, wipes or cotton wool into baby's bag... But am at a loss of what to put in mine...

Nightdresses, mat bras, pads, breast pads, toiletries, disposable undies, ... Anything else?

I packed everything on list and only used 10% of the stuff! We weren't allowed put cotton hat on baby only when he was going outside! They actually had cotton balls in the changing place free (I brought my own anyway). Bought the disposable undies never used them had granny pants (which one midwife had a great laugh over lol lol)!i have loads of breast pads and never used 1! I bought a granny nightdress in heatons with buttons the whole way down for the birth but never even got to wear it gave birth in the white top I was wearing lets just say not the best colour choice! I found superdrug great for the toiletries and heatons for nightdress €3.50, drrssing gown to match €8 and ultimate granny slipper €6. All baby pink again another horrendous colour choice on my behalf! I would recommend red or black lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I would agree with most of the above but would also include a bottle of water with the sports cap to use on yourself while you go to the toilet (especially if you have stitches)
    I got my OH to bring me in some cereal bars/snacks. In Holles Street anyway your tea is at around 5 in the evening and then not a bite of food til 7 or 8 the next morning. They definitely come in handy.
    I would also recommend you advise your husband/partner to sign up for the park by text instead of using coins because at least then they don't have to keep dashing off to top up the parking - the last thing you want to be thinking of when in the throes of labour is whether or not you'll be clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Agreed re. the snacks. They go on and on about how important healthy eating is, and then feed you feck all when you're in hospital, and what you do get is muck ... e.g. my dinner one evening was two sausage rolls!!

• Advertisement

Agreed re. the snacks. They go on and on about how important healthy eating is, and then feed you feck all when you're in hospital, and what you do get is muck ... e.g. my dinner one evening was two sausage rolls!!

That's your tea ;) Your main meal was the one they give you around midday.

Breakfast and dinner were always so close to each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

January wrote: »
    That's your tea ;) Your main meal was the one they give you around midday.

Breakfast and dinner were always so close to each other!

Agreed. They serve up roast or chicken etc at like 12 midday!!! I'd usually only be ready for a scone and a cuppa at that time!

Oh Jesus - the first full day I spent on the ward, I thought I was going to eat a baby! I was so hungry! I hadn't eaten in about four days as I'd had a bad kidney infection, and the antibiotic I was on made me sick. The day I had him I ate nothing at all, so by lunchtime the next day I was famished. Dinner arrived, only to have it whipped out from under my nose by one of the catering staff who had just found out i'd had a section and informed me I was on a "light diet"! I nearly cried!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Oh god yeah I used to be ready to collapse with hunger in the rotunda. 4 weeks in there and I ended up weighing less after a gave birth than pre pregnancy! But I didn't find dinner and breakfast too close - 7.30 breakfast, 12.30 dinner. I would be counting the minutes to dinner even though it was usually crap! I didn't have a fresh vegetable except for a few carrots boiled to death in the whole time I was in.

nikpmup wrote: »
    Oh Jesus - the first full day I spent on the ward, I thought I was going to eat a baby! I was so hungry! I hadn't eaten in about four days as I'd had a bad kidney infection, and the antibiotic I was on made me sick. The day I had him I ate nothing at all, so by lunchtime the next day I was famished. Dinner arrived, only to have it whipped out from under my nose by one of the catering staff who had just found out i'd had a section and informed me I was on a "light diet"! I nearly cried!

Oh I had that 'light diet' on my first too. Scrambled egg for dinner just doesn't cut it, especially after fasting for the whole day before it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ill never forget eating sweets from a box of roses and crisps that Mil brought it at about 3am. I was starvin.
    I made Oh bring in loads of fruit and cereal bars the next day. And bottles of water. They dont give you enough water i recall thinking of chancing the tap water i was that thirsty and had asked loads of times for a drink

Suucee wrote: »
    Ill never forget eating sweets from a box of roses and crisps that Mil brought it at about 3am. I was starvin.
    I made Oh bring in loads of fruit and cereal bars the next day. And bottles of water. They dont give you enough water i recall thinking of chancing the tap water i was that thirsty and had asked loads of times for a drink

Yep, I did that too - a box of milk tray got demolished at 3am, even the Turkish delight!
    I had to keep asking one young nurse for pain relief - I was 2 days post section, and she couldn't find my chart (not my fault/problem!) so she wouldn't give me any! I think it was about 6pm I got 2 panadol :-/

Suucee wrote: »

In the rotunda they do give you a jug of water and there are water fountains in the corridors. But you might not be up to walking out to fill up the jug.

Bring snacks that can stand the heat! It was very warm in the rotunda. Chocolate etc was squishy. Cereal bars, biscuits, crackers etc. I ate LOADS of mince pies! (Girls were born in December!)

In the Coombe you got a jug of water but it was great, the girls would bring you a jug of ice if you wanted it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'd say all the hospitals are the same with the odd meal times and lack of healthy food. Thankfully CUMH is across the road from a big Tesco so my husband used bring me fruit, juices, yogurts and salads. Oh and my lovely in-laws went on a raid of the English Market and brought me in a picnic of blue cheese, Brie, nice bread olives and pate. I was in heaven. Nearly cried sending it home with them :) Snacks I found handy were werthers original and granola bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

nikpmup wrote: »
    Yep, I did that too - a box of milk tray got demolished at 3am, even the Turkish delight!
    I had to keep asking one young nurse for pain relief - I was 2 days post section, and she couldn't find my chart (not my fault/problem!) so she wouldn't give me any! I think it was about 6pm I got 2 panadol :-/

Oh that reminded me when LO was about 3 hrs old. OH was gone home and i hadnt got out of bed yet (had epidural) anyway felt nauseous and rang the bell to ask for something. Was also holding lo. Nurse came in with a roaring baby in her arms . She asked would i be ok for few mins. I said yes.
    Nausea got worse and suddenly i got sick. Just about avoided LO . Rang the bell again and nurse came in apoligising. Eh too late.
    Didnt need anything for the nausea then but needed new sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Maybe I was lucky in holles street but they have me soooo much food for the two meals I had there! I dogged into the breakfast eggs, brown bread, cereal, juice and tea! Lunch was about 3 hours later lamb chops, veg and potato with gravy, yoghurt and a bake well tart! Made an absolute pig of myself! Lol then I went home as I was on domino so didn't get tea/dinner. The dinner girl was nice and was piling the food onto us! lol I had a jug of water that the nurses always filled for me. Honestly couldn't complain :)

I liked the food in the rotunda I have to say....or did I just like being handed food with no work... :-) I can recommend the veggie diabetic diet. They never stop feeding you on that yogurt and fruit and crackers with cheese as snacks. I was delighted to get the non diabetic dessert after my daughter was born though :-) cheeky treat. I do find it odd that they serve the unhealthy foods as standard though.

Gosh I can remember going through litres of water too between the heat and breastfeeding.

I was in the rotunda, and the breakfast was grand, fairly plentiful. Midday meal was grand portion wise, but given that it's your main meal for the day it's very early to eat it. I'm veggie so my choice for 'tea' was scrambled egg on toast or cheese salad - every day for a month!!!! It's a long time too from tea time at 5.30 til 7.30 the next day. And also, one of my twins was sitting literally with her head squashed into my stomach so eating large amounts of anything wasn't possible. I rarely was able to eat the midday meal in full. So it was a loooong day forme. And I was semi private too so had more choice/options than public patients. I would have really been ready to crack up if I was public! Luckily after 10 days, I was moved to a private room as I spiked a temp and they were worried it might be something contagious. I was really jammy and was left for the whole time til I gave birth. Had my own tea/coffee making facilities and I used the windowsill as my fridge. It was only then that I was able to eat half normal again.

I'd kinda prefer to switch to big meals during the day (though maybe 1 instead of 12!). I felt much better for it. It doesn't suit our work life unfortunately. I'd also like to get hold of the smaller size plates they use...I know I'm mental taking my inspiration from a hospital dinners lol :-)

kandr10 wrote: »
    I'd kinda prefer to switch to big meals during the day (though maybe 1 instead of 12!). I felt much better for it. It doesn't suit our work life unfortunately. I'd also like to get hold of the smaller size plates they use...I know I'm mental taking my inspiration from a hospital dinners lol :-)

Ikea have those smaller plates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've got crackers packed my bag after the last time too. And water, and some juice cartons. Love the cheese & pate thing from the market! I'd murder some decent cheese. Must delegate that idea to some visitor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

pwurple wrote: »
    I've got crackers packed my bag after the last time too. And water, and some juice cartons. Love the cheese & pate thing from the market! I'd murder some decent cheese. Must delegate that idea to some visitor. :)
    Be careful with the cheese selection! You'll be the least popular woman in the ward if you go for a real smelly one! Definitely will be copying the pate idea, it's the one thing i've missed during pregnancy, especially over Christmas. I will be eating it straight out of the packet come June!

For my tea the day after delivery I asked for poached egg on toast and asked for the egg to be soft. It arrived, all lovely and runny and gorgeous. 'Twas the nicest thing I'd eaten in months! Nicest meal I had the whole time I was in the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ncmc wrote: »
    Be careful with the cheese selection! You'll be the least popular woman in the ward if you go for a real smelly one! Definitely will be copying the pate idea, it's the one thing i've missed during pregnancy, especially over Christmas. I will be eating it straight out of the packet come June!

Feck that! I was in a double room the last time and three roomies past through. The first girl had rhianna blasting all times of day and night from her phone. Second one had the screechiest baby i've ever heard, and third one was a smoker, who kept going for sneaky fags in the shared loo. Yeuch. I've done my time... It's my turn to be unsociable.

The cheese will be stinkiest one that can be had. It won't last long. Give me 5 minutes alone with it. :D

Advertisement