Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

740Li smoking problem - decision time

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It doesn't help that these engines run at 105*C. I'm looking into a lower temperature stat which many are changing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Looks like these are just as bad for seals as the M62TU, except the M62TU has rubbish VANOS seals which go after 30k and you have to go aftermarket to sort :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Great stuff, enjoy the V8 goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's not just the V8s, the six cylinder engines have problems with the VANOS seals as well (M52TU and M54). Then there is the rear trailing arm bushes in the E36 and E46, timing chain in N47 diesel engines, low tension piston rings causing oil burning in N42 and M54 engines, the list just doesn't stop.

I still love them though :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Perfect car sound like a top notch outfit.

Hope the new parts work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Perfect car sound like a top notch outfit.

Hope the new parts work out

After a bit of driving today, the difference in performance is very apparent! The car picks up so quickly now. The plugs would have been all bunged up, and with oil seeping down the valve stems through those massive seal holes, performance had to have taken a hit.

And the new flex disc has made a world of difference, no kicking when releasing the throttle or getting back on it, smooth as butter. I put the boot down several times on the way home today, it genuinely caught me off guard at one point, she gathers speed rather sprightly! With no ploom of smoke behind.

I pulled out the Logic 7 amp too and sent it off to Estonia for repair as the subs are crackling which is a common failure. Using a fibre optic loop back cable, everything else in the car continues to operate as normal until it arrives back. Still have sound in 6 of the 13 speakers. That'll be me happy for at least the next 12 months anyways. :)

SREVKVq.jpg

iuUucTC.jpg

lm4nrbX.jpg

9RlOZnw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Beautiful car! How many miles are you doing per year?

Thanks, not many, about 9k miles a year. Mostly town driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Man, this thread really has me fearing for the long term future of my 2006 523i. It has the N52 engine and is weeping oil from the VANOS, valve cover and engine sump itself. I was quoted 700 euros to fix these leaks.

So far no smoking as per this video but I feel like that's only a matter of time as well. These BMW seals and gaskets appear to be pretty rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ardent wrote: »
    Man, this thread really has me fearing for the long term future of my 2006 523i. It has the N52 engine and is weeping oil from the VANOS, valve cover and engine sump itself. I was quoted 700 euros to fix these leaks.

So far no smoking as per this video but I feel like that's only a matter of time as well. These BMW seals and gaskets appear to be pretty rubbish.

N52s don't have problems with the valve stem seals. Most BMW petrol engines don't, just the OP's and anyone unfortunate enough to have the N42 engine. Only when they get to 200,000 miles do the valve stem seals become a problem with the rest of them.

BMW engines are generally very solid, just some of the ancillaries can give grief plus leaky seals, and some of the petrols like to use oil but it's nothing to worry about.

Yep as per above, I wouldn't worry about your engine. In fact i'd be very happy with yours in terms of reliability. Even the Vanos isn't a major job to tackle.

Despite the work mine has had done, beyond the steam seals and the valley pan coolant pipe leak, the N62 V8 is decently reliable. I've had no issues otherwise with mine and now with all major issues sorted, I should be in the clear for a long long time. *touch wood*

Advertisement