Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

740Li smoking problem - decision time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Could you get him to pay for the repair under the Sale of goods act? His "attempt" t fixing the problem was a joke so no way I'd let him near it again and since you have found someone who has done it before I'd go with them.

Here is hoping you do get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Rang the dealer today and he's covering the full cost of the repair at my local garage. He's also supplying a loan car, can't say fairer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Rang the dealer today and he's covering the full cost of the repair at my local garage. He's also supplying a loan car, can't say fairer than that.

Sounds like the best outcome you could hope for. Hope the repair works out, but stories like this would scare the shyte out of you!

Sure does! I still can't get over the price of the repair, it sounds too good to be true as quotes in the States have been $3000-$4000. I suppose the key here is already having done the job and already having the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

That is a great outcome, could not be better. Good luck with the repair works.
    Sure does! I still can't get over the price of the repair, it sounds too good to be true as quotes in the States have been $3000-$4000. I suppose the key here is already having done the job and already having the tools.
    I heard of even higher quotes than this, i.e. up to $8k, but that would probably in the main stealer. Funny thing is, this is probably the highes bill you can pay to get replaced the cheapest of the cheapest parts in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Now that would be something to see in the today i did something thread!

Seweryn wrote: »
    I heard of even higher quotes than this, i.e. up to $8k, but that would probably in the main stealer. Funny thing is, this is probably the highes bill you can pay to get replaced the cheapest of the cheapest parts in a car.

Me too, $7-$9k from the dealer. That's at about 45 hours labour at dealer rates, removing the heads and replacing everything involved in that task alone.
    Now that would be something to see in the today i did something thread!

I'll get them to take pics and i'll post them up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'll get them to take pics and i'll post them up. :)

Do, Its something I would love to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Best of luck man, thats a fantastic outcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,975 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice one! I think at this stage it is fair to name & shame praise the dealer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

unkel wrote: »
    Nice one! I think at this stage it is fair to name & shame praise the dealer :)

It's Beshoff. They're sound to deal with from what I hear.

Aye. Haven't heard a bad thing about them. Hopefully their handling of this case will bring them back some good luck / sales / karma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Aye. Haven't heard a bad thing about them. Hopefully their handling of this case will bring them back some good luck / sales / karma

They had a nice 2005 530d for sale not so long ago that I was actually interested in, but it's gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Sobanek wrote: »
    They had a nice 2005 530d for sale not so long ago that I was actually interested in, but it's gone now

They seem to turnover stock fairly quick, a few cars I wanted to see were sold within days.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bar the smoking issue whats ownership like of the big 7? What sort of mpg do you get and is it a leap forward over something like a 530d?
    Did you drive or own any of the 7s competitors?

I do 80-90% town driving and short trips, consumption is sitting around 17MPG. Does 30 on the nose on the motorway. Have only driven a 520D and also a 530D with a blown turbo. No comparison in with the 520D anyways. They are considerably larger than the E60 inside and out, the long wheel base aside.

Truely streets ahead of the 728i I had before in nearly every way, although the steering is more artificial and I don't feel it handles as well. Power is in a different league to the 2.8l I6 I had as you would expect. Took me a while to warm to this new model though, but I think it's the same when you move from any car you've had for a long time, you only see the bad bits. Overall it's a superior car, reliability and looks are a matter of debate. Time will tell on the reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Is this assumed problem the same that occurs in the 550/750i ?

Yup, right across the N62 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I do 80-90% town driving and short trips, consumption is sitting around 17MPG. Does 30 on the nose on the motorway. Have only driven a 520D and also a 530D with a blown turbo. No comparison in with the 520D anyways. They are considerably larger than the E60 inside and out, the long wheel base aside.

Truely streets ahead of the 728i I had before in nearly every way, although the steering is more artificial and I don't feel it handles as well. Power is in a different league to the 2.8l I6 I had as you would expect. Took me a while to warm to this new model though, but I think it's the same when you move from any car you've had for a long time, you only see the bad bits. Overall it's a superior car, reliability and looks are a matter of debate. Time will tell on the reliability.

Does ride comfort match up to what one would expect from a luxury car???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Overall it's a superior car, reliability and looks are a matter of debate. Time will tell on the reliability.

The interior seems amazing from pictures/ outside whats it like when in it, comfortable, not claustrophobic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

God damn BMW V8's. They can eat up cash on repairs so fast, as I know only too well.

Really lucky that this happened within the warranty timeframe.

Hopefully this will be the last hassle you have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's Beshoff. They're sound to deal with from what I hear.

I just bought my new car of them, so this is good to hear.

Fabulous outcome - win win.

Btw , 650i there atmo....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

daRobot wrote: »
    God damn BMW's. They can eat up cash on repairs so fast, as I know only too well.

FYP ;)

daRobot wrote: »
    God damn BMW V8's. They can eat up cash on repairs so fast, as I know only too well.

That's a good bit OTT! I had the M60 V8 in my E34. Perfectly fine engine as long as you don't feed it dirty crap petrol like the Americans did. Also had the M62 V8 in my E38. Perfect engine. Still miss it. And the issue with the N62 V8 is hardly catastrophic if a €1k repair fixes it...

galwaytt wrote: »
    I just bought my new car of them

Your 996 came from them? Small world :)

How is it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

That's a good bit OTT! I had the M60 V8 in my E34. Perfectly fine engine as long as you don't feed it dirty crap petrol like the Americans did. Also had the M62 V8 in my E38. Perfect engine. Still miss it. And the issue with the N62 V8 is hardly catastrophic if a €1k repair fixes it...

Your 996 came from them? Small world :)

How is it going?

Off topic I know but V8 E34 = very very nice

back on topic - is 1 grand actually a realistic price for the repair of this issue.

If so I agree with you - in fact as we know - modern diesels deliver bigger bills to their owners.

Youd nearly need to lie down for 6 months if you heard the cost of an engine for a modern diesel for example.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Does ride comfort match up to what one would expect from a luxury car???

It does, but its a little crashy over rough roads with the 20"s. On average to good roads it glides extremely smoothly. Not as refined as the 2010 S-class I drove, but no where as near as disconnected as that felt.

I think the overall driving experience is summed up in that the E38 felt like a car when driving, the E66 feels like you're commanding a giant machine. Sounds silly, but when you even just pull off from a set of lights, its a different animal altogether.
    lomb wrote: »
    The interior seems amazing from pictures/ outside whats it like when in it, comfortable, not claustrophobic?

Extremely comfortable with acres of space. It's laughable how much room is in the back with the Li, you kind of step into the car and collapse backwards into the seats they're so far back. Even with the front passenger seat set re-wards giving loads of room in the front, you can still stretch out in the back.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    I just bought my new car of them, so this is good to hear.

Fabulous outcome - win win.

Btw , 650i there atmo....

What did you get yourself?

What did you get yourself?

See my post :D
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Off topic I know but V8 E34 = very very nice

And my car was originally Irish. Very, very rare! I doubt even 10 E34 V8s were sold here. Remember the M5 only had 6 cylinders!

The first owner of my car was the Ambassador of Finland to Ireland :)

Was the 996 in the showroom over December/January? Think I saw it, great looking car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

@OP if you want a flavour for the work required, here's a good post from bimmerboard.com,

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/813398

This guy has a very good pair of hands and did the full job himself. Older engine I know, but essentially the same job. There's a lot of work in it!

Advertisement