Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

740Li smoking problem - decision time

Options
  • 21-02-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭

As some may know, my recently purchased 740Li started burning oil and smoking badly at idle. The N62 V8 is well known to have valve stem seal failure from around the 80k miles mark, i'm only at 69k miles.

Anyways from the long reading I've done online, it's either the CCV system or valve stem seals that causes the smoking. I personally checked the CCV lines and vent valves and they're all intact and in good shape. So that, in conjunction with the agreement on many forums, it's undoubtedly the stem seals.

The car is under warranty from the dealer I bought it from; one month warranty remains. I mentioned to them that a local garage to me has done this job before, so they asked me to price it there. I have a price of approx €1000 plus VAT. I take it to them, dealer says they'll pay me €900 (i didn't agree to this, just let him talk) and essentially that's the end of the engine warranty as any problems after that isn't on them, which is acceptable enough. Job will take 3-4 days.

Second option is to give the car back to the dealer, who outsources their repairs to an independent in Dublin. The car was already in with them first time round, whos diagnosis and repair of the smoking was to do an oil service. The dealer said this mechanic will do "a" repair for around the €800 mark, which by the way, he doesn't think is the valve stem seals (i asked what he thought it was and wasn't really given an answer). This mechanic has never done valve stem seals before (he told me first time round) and personally I didn't like his attitude either time I met him.

The guys local to me are well respected in BMW circles, has apparently done the job before and also has the correct tools.

I have to basically choose what to do. Not sure if i'm not missing another option, like handing the car back and basically saying "fix it" and demand another 3 months warranty on the work done. Because I don't necessarily trust that a proper repair will be done if left back to Dublin.

Any thoughts? Dealer has been fairly decent and is offering a loan car regardless of option picked.

Thanks guys. :)

EDIT: Video

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I would go with the local guys, provided you want to keep the car, and have the money, if they know what they're doing then thats piece of mind too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Local fellas that have done it before. The only way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Local. It will cost you a few quid but you know it's the only option in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My only concern is that it's pretty much my diagnosis. I am 99% sure its the stem seals going by the rampant reports online, but there is no real way of knowing without labour intensive, invasive investigation. At least if it goes to Dublin, they attempt a repair, doesn't fix it, I can keep going back. To an extent. But he did hint at the fact that it would be in 2-3 weeks if I left it down, an indication that it's bye bye warranty once it's been in.

Yes I would rather go with the local guys, I guess its a case of finding out what they'll cover afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Local guys and swallow a few hundred quid premium for it.

If you let this drag the garage will just try another quick fix and they plead poverty as it's outside warranty.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input guys, was leaning that way myself, good to hear similar thinking to whats been banging around my skull the last few days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Thanks for the input guys, was leaning that way myself, good to hear similar thinking to whats been banging around my skull the last few days. :)

So now go do it :D and then come to the meet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Hope you get it sorted.

Garage 2 is clearly the better option of THESE 2 garages.

However (if it were my car) id be asking around in the BMW enthusiast circles for a recommendation based on the work to be done - and see where that would lead.

If it were my car id want the best possible people on the job.

Garage 2 may well be very very good - but as a general rule with something like this I don't have much patience with messing around - and would just want the top guy on the job from the word go.

Really do hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Deffo local garage.....would have more faith in them especially if you have history with them already plus I reckon the Dublin crowd will drag it out so long that the warranty would be almost out once you get the car back.

Best of luck either way.... its an incredible car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Ya I say deffo go with local guys. At least you know they will do it right as been there before. Might cost you bit but if you like car and want to hold on it's the only option really.

• Advertisement

Correct reply to the title was obviously not to read the actual post and say something like.

"Tell the car it will get cancer and shurre they are almost a tenner a pack now."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You're incredibly lucky to have found a garage local to you that has the right tools and has done it before. Any idea how well the first job held up?

TBH, it's a no brainer!

Aye, they're about 500 metres away from my work. I must ask them about the other job. Just looked at their Facebook page a few mins ago, they've currently a BMW V8 stripped down to the block for cleaning.

Mmm

Porting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

From reading your original post, it will cost you about €250 to have brand new valve stem oil seals fitted to a fairly prestigious & complicated car by people who've done it before.

Fair play to the dealer you bought it from offering €900 towards the repair.

#Edit# Just watched the video, the car looks clean from the rear and the noise is sublime.

What he offered moneywise still makes no sense to me. There's no reason why my guys can't do the repair for €1130 inc VAT and the dealer just send them full payment, claiming the VAT back.

Instead he wants me to pay the VAT plus €100, for what, just to piss me off? I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Sitec wrote: »
    From reading your original post, it will cost you about €250 to have brand new valve stem oil seals fitted to a fairly prestigious & complicated car by people who've done it before.

Fair play to the dealer you bought it from offering €900 towards the repair.

#Edit# Just watched the video, the car looks clean from the rear and the noise is sublime.

Stinks tho'

What he offered moneywise still makes no sense to me. There's no reason why my guys can't do the repair for €1130 inc VAT and the dealer just send them full payment, claiming the VAT back.

Instead he wants me to pay the VAT plus €100, for what, just to piss me off? I don't get it.

He was haggling to save afew quid.

Never give your best price first etc. If you push them on it and say you want a full refund you will get them to pay it outright.

That's what I was thinking aswell, to be honest.

Besides, regardless of whether or not the warranty expires, surely they'd still have to fix a problem that you notified them of within the warranty period?! :confused:
    (ie; if you send it to the mechanic that the garage uses, surely you can keep sending it back as many times as you like until they fix the issue that you brought to their attention within the warranty period!?).

I think he was basically saying that its cheaper if his guys does it, but if you want your guy to do it you'll have to pay more. I don't plan to spend a penny on this, I already lumped €500 on a new door handle, rear view mirror, rear PDC sensors and software upgrade to fix issues he said he'd fix.

• Advertisement

I think he was basically saying that its cheaper if his guys does it, but if you want your guy to do it you'll have to pay more. I don't plan to spend a penny on this, I already lumped €500 on a new door handle, rear view mirror, rear PDC sensors and software upgrade to fix issues he said he'd fix.

It's cheaper because it will most likely just get another oil change (to the wrong grade to mask the problem) and the fault codes reset.

He hasn't a pot to piss in as it stands.

He either fixes it properly where you want it fixed and gets the car gone with an issue he 100% knew about if we are honest.

or

He doesn't play ball with you and you get a full refund and he has to start the whole masking the issue thing all over again for the next victim buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

It's a 2005 car bought from an independent, their one month warranty means nothing unless you have it writing.

I can be a bit naive sometimes in that I usually give people the benefit of the doubt in most situations, he did say he was driving the car for a few weeks and he and the previous owner had no problems. Then again, could be a pack of lies, who knows, he seems genuine enough.

Either way, I don't plan on paying.
    Sitec wrote: »
    It's a 2005 car bought from an independent, their one month warranty means nothing unless you have it writing.

Has a 3 month warranty in writing, theres no question of it being not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

He either fixes it properly where you want it fixed

Not so for a warranty. If it's his job to repair, it's his to arrange. You can check the work over, and get records, but I don't think you can stipulate using a 3rd Party for his warranty work - but I'm open to correction on this.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Garage or small claims.

They won't fix a problem then **** em

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Personally I'd ask him to foot the bill for the entire job otherwise i'd return the car and demand a full refund. He won't want that as a 740 would be difficult to shift on and may cut his losses and stump up for the repairs at the garage local to you. There would be no alternative in my world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

I'd let him fix it, when your local lad starts working on it there is no guarantee they won't find a tonne of other stuff that could dramatically push up the cost of the repair, let your dealer take the risk on this.

Do you believe the mileage to be correct - i.e. do have previous service receipts from new or just a stamped book?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not so for a warranty. If it's his job to repair, it's his to arrange. You can check the work over, and get records, but I don't think you can stipulate using a 3rd Party for his warranty work - but I'm open to correction on this.

Completely understand where your coming from.

But what happens if the subcontractor doesn't fix it if it goes in this time.

Looking at it from another viewpoint - if Garage no 2 is respected in BMW circles then they are probably respected for a reason - ie they are noted for decent work.

The way i look at it - is that the dealers subcontractor - has already had one shot at fixing the car - AND failed.

How many chances should the subcontractor get to fix the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Good Luck with the repair, whichver way you are going to get it sorted. I would obviously try to repair it in a garage that have the experience with the particular issue. It is just a matter of agreeing it with the dealer, which may not be easy.

BTW, it looks like another school error in the design department of BMW. I can't understand these people designing such an advanced engine knowing it runs hot (at 105 deg C or so), as they just designed it that way, and then somehow skimping on upgrading a piece of rubber worth 5p. Obviously, BMW wash their hands of the problem as its non existent, as usual. Long time since German cars were actually engineered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Casati wrote: »
    I'd let him fix it, when your local lad starts working on it there is no guarantee they won't find a tonne of other stuff that could dramatically push up the cost of the repair, let your dealer take the risk on this.

Do you believe the mileage to be correct - i.e. do have previous service receipts from new or just a stamped book?

I wouldnt let the dealer fix it. He will without doubt do a botch and then you are stuck with it.

Advertisement