Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

blue note wrote: »
    Think there's a phone number on the poster.

Cant even see that. I'll keep up the search

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

Mushy wrote: »
    Cant even see that. I'll keep up the search

To book your line message Brian on WhatsApp or text 086 100 5988.

That's at the bottom of the poster. It cuts off unless you click into the actual picture on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

How were the two courses? I'd say you've set a lifetime PB for lost balls today if you 36'd that pair lol

That was a typo I played them Friday and Saturday.

The island on Friday, first tee shot way right into the dunes but recovered with a 5. But it was a case of fighting the slice all day. I think I lost 6 balls! 25pts!

Still really enjoyed it and the course is in great condition, a nice mix of flatter links holes and then dunes. Fairways in great nick, greens in great nick.
    Played shocking though!

Baltray was fantastic, the greens were spiked a couple of weeks ago but they we’re running true and a good pace on them. Still couldn’t rely on my driver but managed to plays well and have 38points. Baltray landscape reminded me a a bit of Portrush in the landscape, no massive dunes really, a few back ones on the back nine.

Both fantastic courses, would love another crack at them, especially the Island as I played so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Anybody play the Atlantic Coast Challenge recently? Few spaces opened up for the 2020 edition (postponed until this year) and am thinking of taking a spot, even with the short notice.
    Is there still a singles event within the overall tournament? And any tips on what places might be good to stay in last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Anybody play the Atlantic Coast Challenge recently? Few spaces opened up for the 2020 edition (postponed until this year) and am thinking of taking a spot, even with the short notice.
    Is there still a singles event within the overall tournament? And any tips on what places might be good to stay in last minute?

Playing in this event which was originally booked for last year.

We are playing in the following rotation

Carne - Ennisscrone - Rosses Point

Staying in Ballina at B&B

Balllina is handy for getting to Carne on the first morning and then quite near enough to Enniscrone for second morning. Check out on Wed and drive up to Sligo for Rosses Point. We have done this a few times and it works out fine.

In 2020 I did play with other people that had already booked accommodation which meant staying out at Belmullet on the first night and then after playing Carne driving to Enniscrone and staying for 2 nights at the Diamond Coast hotel which was great. This year however the Diamond Coast Hotel wasn't availble. I would imagine they will be singles prizes like previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Macker1 wrote: »
    Playing in this event which was originally booked for last year.

We are playing in the following rotation

Carne - Ennisscrone - Rosses Point

Staying in Ballina at B&B

Balllina is handy for getting to Carne on the first morning and then quite near enough to Enniscrone for second morning. Check out on Wed and drive up to Sligo for Rosses Point. We have done this a few times and it works out fine.

In 2020 I did play with other people that had already booked accommodation which meant staying out at Belmullet on the first night and then after playing Carne driving to Enniscrone and staying for 2 nights at the Diamond Coast hotel which was great. This year however the Diamond Coast Hotel wasn't availble. I would imagine they will be singles prizes like previous years

Nice one.

Yeah, we played back in 2013, was maybe the 2nd or 3rd playing of the event, and there was no singles at that point. I was aware it had been introduced subsequently but was curious to see if it had been sustained.

Thanks for the advice. Might be worth staying somewhere in between the two Sligo tracks alright, we stayed in 3 seperate places in 2013. Hoping we get sorted and I get to play Carne again in something other than relentless rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Played St Patrick’s this morning. In short, wonderful. Such an enjoyable golf course: brilliant routing and shapes, unbelievable undulations, staggering views, lots of little visual tricks, and some of the most rollercoaster greens I’ve played.

Ultimately though what makes it brilliant, is that it’s genuinely playable. The rough is treacherous and unkempt, but every fairway is unusually generous, with some over 100 yards wide. But find the wrong side on roughly half those fairways and you won’t be seeing the pin with your approach.

It’s the first “big” links I’ve played that I’d genuinely want to play every week.

—-

Finally played Sandy Hills with big winds on Friday (last thrice were unusually wind free days). And I confirm what I guess I knew already. It’s way beyond my skill level when the wind blows. The back 9 in particular was gruelling.

It’s still a remarkable course with a wonderful rhythm. But I think, all things considered, golfing a Doak is much more fun than golfing a Ruddy.

—-

Also played Portsalon for the first time, on an 18 degree, light wind day. I was very impressed, and especially so with the first 9.

It’s a quirky course in places and some of the sloping greens were so, so scary. Reminded me a lot of Castlerock in terms of presentation and rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Played old Portmarnock the other day
    What a treat - Beautiful Course in every way - got a lovely calm warm evening too.
    Thankfully I was a guest of a member, I think its bonkers to pay the normal price, I think it's around €180 (or a tenner a hole :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

blue note wrote: »
    To book your line message Brian on WhatsApp or text 086 100 5988.

That's at the bottom of the poster. It cuts off unless you click into the actual picture on Facebook.
    204571975_524089939030990_474558499256871552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=G0a0kqrbzAgAX-KRrHQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&tp=7&oh=c3d18516684b373edcff667671dea632&oe=60DF0F8A

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Got back last night from weekend in Belmullet. Played the Hackett course on Saturday and the Dunes on Sunday. Wow. It's spectacular, and utterly gorgeous. We were very lucky with the weather, albeit there was a serious breeze on Saturday. Sunday wasn't as bad. The whole thing is great, but the new holes are truly amazing. I've seen nothing like them. Fantastic design, using the natural flow of the dunes to do the talking. There's a definite sense of humour in it as well (or sadism!). I think I'll have to make this a yearly thing. This is definite bucket list stuff. You won't play another course like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Got back last night from weekend in Belmullet. Played the Hackett course on Saturday and the Dunes on Sunday. Wow. It's spectacular, and utterly gorgeous. We were very lucky with the weather, albeit there was a serious breeze on Saturday. Sunday wasn't as bad. The whole thing is great, but the new holes are truly amazing. I've seen nothing like them. Fantastic design, using the natural flow of the dunes to do the talking. There's a definite sense of humour in it as well (or sadism!). I think I'll have to make this a yearly thing. This is definite bucket list stuff. You won't play another course like it.

I have 3 rounds there booked in for next week. How were the greens playing? Also did you or your mates use GPS and is the new 9 being picked up I wonder? It didn't seem to work for me last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I have 3 rounds there booked in for next week. How were the greens playing? Also did you or your mates use GPS and is the new 9 being picked up I wonder? It didn't seem to work for me last time.

GPS was missing for the new 9 on my shotscope but it was there on my garmin.

willabur wrote: »
    GPS was missing for the new 9 on my shotscope but it was there on my garmin.

Was there on my Garmin also.

The Island was all over the place this weekend though, so need to update the maps. surprising how much i relied on it when I didn't have it.

Whiplash85 wrote: »

Greens were not as fast as I expected, that said, I wouldn't be too cavalier! My watch was picking up the new holes on the Dunes course, but didn't know where it was on the Hackett. For the new holes, you just needed to know which number in the Kilmore 9 you were on.

Greens were not as fast as I expected, that said, I wouldn't be too cavalier! My watch was picking up the new holes on the Dunes course, but didn't know where it was on the Hackett. For the new holes, you just needed to know which number in the Kilmore 9 you were on.

You probably needed to start the watch on the 10th for the hackett, as they switched the nines last year.

DuckSlice wrote: »
    You probably needed to start the watch on the 10th for the hackett, as they switched the nines last year.

Is that what it is? I'll remember for the next time. There are so many holes close to each other that just cycling through the holes to see what was closest was no good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Have been booked into Newry, Mourne and Downe trophy since Nov 19, which was RCD, Ardglass and Warrenpoint was supposed to play last Oct but due to lockdown was not allowed travel, so they moved my booking to this year.
    I was really looking forward to it as always wanted to play Royal County Down, just heard they have cancelled this years event in Oct, seems very early so very disappointed.
    I don't really want to wait another year which would be 3 years in case same issue again. Guy who is running it said would love into seeing if he could get us tee times on those courses or others instead or we could get a refund. A lad who was supposed to go last year couldn't go this year so got refund lost €50 (not too bad). Guy who was looking after it said would get better rates if went in Nov, could be flexible enough but worried the weather would be too sh*t and obviously lack of light. What do people think would be the best thing to do, should we try and organise ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

RCD charges a winter rate from November (£80 or £90), and you play the full course off somewhere between the members and the ladies tees (plenty long).

It’s usually easy to get your hands on a slot throughout the winter but last winter they sold out pretty early and then of course we were shut down up here.

November is usually okay weather wise. It’s a damp sort of cold, but we usually wait until after Christmas for the proper bad weather.

Is that what it is? I'll remember for the next time. There are so many holes close to each other that just cycling through the holes to see what was closest was no good to me!

It’s possible, the current front nine on the Hackett was the back nine previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

DuckSlice wrote: »
    It’s possible, the current front nine on the Hackett was the back nine previously.

I played Carne last August & really enjoyed it BUT...they need to get signage/tee markers sorted as like others my shotscope was not picking anything up at the start which led to a frustrating beginning to the round. The Pro Shop was too casual in directing us to the correct tee and you could see both at the time and afterwards others grumbling about this as well.

• Advertisement

Beaulieu wrote: »
    I played Carne last August & really enjoyed it BUT...they need to get signage/tee markers sorted as like others my shotscope was not picking anything up at the start which led to a frustrating beginning to the round. The Pro Shop was too casual in directing us to the correct tee and you could see both at the time and afterwards others grumbling about this as well.

Agreed, the signage wasn't great the last time i was there but i know the course well. I could see how for someone new it would be confusing. Especially as the 1st fo the Hackett and Kilmore are side by side and both par5's

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Anyone know if Mourne GC are doing their open week this year?

Played on RCD the week before The Open usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Ronney wrote: »
    Anyone know if Mourne GC are doing their open week this year?

Played on RCD the week before The Open usually.

Not this year unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

PARlance wrote: »
    Open week is first week of August with booking from July 1st iirc. Superb value.

https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php

Open Week Rosses Point runs from Sat 31-Jul to Sun 08-Aug
    Booking opens tonight (well, tomorrow!)
    Don't quote me but the Wed. V Par competition is usually from the Back Tees (weather dependent) if anyone wants to challenge themselves...
    Thursday is Mens Competition & Ladies Competition (error on listing)
    557196.jpg

https://www.brsgolf.com/countysligo/opens_home.php

Open Week Rosses Point runs from Sat 31-Jul to Sun 08-Aug
    Booking opens tonight (well, tomorrow!)
    Don't quote me but the Wed. V Par competition is usually from the Back Tees (weather dependent) if anyone wants to challenge themselves...
    Thursday is Mens Competition & Ladies Competition (error on listing)
    557196.jpg

Lovely, its the last links i have to play in Connacht so hoping to get up for one of the sinlges comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Hi, playing Baltray next week, would anyone know what practice facilities are like, is there a driving range etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

redhill wrote: »
    Hi, playing Baltray next week, would anyone know what practice facilities are like, is there a driving range etc??

Yeah they've a good set up. Practice area at the back of the clubhouse and putting green, another practice area and driving range down past the first tee, and another putting green at the first tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

redhill wrote: »

There is a driving range on site as well as a chipping and putting green

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

There is a driving range on site as well as a chipping and putting green

Worth saying the driving range was irons only last time I was there.

I'm out Monday, hopefully miss the rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Worth saying the driving range was irons only last time I was there.

I'm out Monday, hopefully miss the rain

We were hitting drives on it in mid June

Advertisement