Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have a spare spot for that open in Portrush on 21st June if anyone wishes to take the spot. Downside is having to play with me so I hope nobody would be hoping for a prize

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Playing Portmarnock Golf Links in a few weeks time. Anyone ever played it before? Tips and comments much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Playing Portmarnock Golf Links in a few weeks time. Anyone ever played it before? Tips and comments much appreciated!

lovely course, as good a finish as you will have anywhere.

Wouldn't have much in the way of tips, it can get fairly breezy out there so be ready to adapt to that. First hole is a beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Just played Portmarnock. What a course, manicured to perfection. Red then Blue 9s which i believe is championship course.

Missed too many greens from good spots. Putted well for the most part but greens were so quick that a few late 3 putts were inevitable.

The 10th green is unbelievably challenging from front and both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just played Portmarnock. What a course, manicured to perfection. Red then Blue 9s which i believe is championship course.

Missed too many greens from good spots. Putted well for the most part but greens were so quick that a few late 3 putts were inevitable.

The 10th green is unbelievably challenging from front and both sides.

I’ve never played a course which was manicured anywhere near as good as portmarnock. It’s like the be out with a scissors to trim the edges to perfection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

County Louth Open Week times now available, 75 euros a round, plenty of availability as some have open for nearly a week, takes place early July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

redhill wrote: »
    County Louth Open Week times now available, 75 euros a round, plenty of availability as some have open for nearly a week, takes place early July

Theyve had a few open wks over the years as well as the Junior Scratch cup (which used to be 36 holes) and 75e is by far as steep as Ive ever seen it. I find it amazing that in the midst of the pandemic recovery operation, east coast links courses seem to have raised their fees instead of dropping them. Portmarnock Links have a summer swing series of events and are charging 75e for those too. Last year, an open there wouldve been 60e at most.

The likes of Portmarnock Old and The Island seem not to be bothered that their opens are set at prices that inevitably wont and havent seen the respective timesheets book out; they must be able to afford it.I wonder will P Links and Baltray be more upset at when they find their own events dont sell out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Theyve had a few open wks over the years as well as the Junior Scratch cup (which used to be 36 holes) and 75e is by far as steep as Ive ever seen it. I find it amazing that in the midst of the pandemic recovery operation, east coast links courses seem to have raised their fees instead of dropping them. Portmarnock Links have a summer swing series of events and are charging 75e for those too. Last year, an open there wouldve been 60e at most.

The likes of Portmarnock Old and The Island seem not to be bothered that their opens are set at prices that inevitably wont and havent seen the respective timesheets book out; they must be able to afford it.I wonder will P Links and Baltray be more upset at when they find their own events dont sell out either.

I noticed that aswell, it was 60 last year and 40 the year before.

I still think they will sell out all the same, Baltray is worth the money it's just a shame they are looking to nearly double the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Played Baltray last week and it's in unbelievable nick. They have the greenkeeper from Lytham St Anne's now, his philosophy when he arrived was we don't have the views, so let's make it the best conditioned course in the country. If you can't handle snooker table greens don't bother, crazy golf at times for a mortal. 75 isnt cheap I agree, but it deters hackers and cowboys, and preserves its premium status. Not sure if they will fill it, but for a course that's empty on any Saturday I've played, I don't think they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Looked at The Island timesheet for their opens last Friday and contrary to the above it was 90%+ booked out, seems to have been sufficient demand at €95.

Whether that will continue now that they’ve announced a second one on 25/6 and look like they might have 3-4 over the summer is another question, but the first one was practically sold out at €95pp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I think they're trying to recover lost revenue - as in revenue they would have got from Americans etc who now can't travel. Courses that traditionally didn't run opens are now running them, and those that ran a few seem to be running a lot more.

Even those that ran them (and/or scratch cups) seem to have seriously bumped their prices. Last time I played Baltray (2018), iirc, their junior scratch cup was E35 or E40, this year it's E75- likewise Seapoint - previously E30, now E50.

I know Seapoint filled the timesheet (they ran their Intermediate Scratch on the same day), and I'm guessing Baltray will for their Scratch Cups, but those price points and the increases they represent gives it a faint whiff of "rip off" especially as it looks like their Junior Scratch is down as an 18 hole event.

Looked at The Island timesheet for their opens last Friday and contrary to the above it was 90%+ booked out, seems to have been sufficient demand at €95.

Whether that will continue now that they’ve announced a second one on 25/6 and look like they might have 3-4 over the summer is another question, but the first one was practically sold out at €95pp.

It didnt sell out. They had a singles and a team event and the former had a number of spaces available. No 'practically' about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

The island have announced a 4ball open comp for later this month. Can only book 4ball slots tho. I would love to play but I don't have any friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

willabur wrote: »
    The island have announced a 4ball open comp for later this month. Can only book 4ball slots tho. I would love to play but I don't have any friends :)

Playing the island the 25th, think its the same day this is on. out with 3 members, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

very true, what I find strange is that anyone would want to spend decent money on playing other courses at a time when their own courses are at their peak. I understand the attractiveness of Links golf in winter months if your home club is a parkland, but in the summer months parkland golf is at it's peak.

I reckon P Links, Island etc would get a lot more interest Nov to April when most golfers are covered in muck every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

very true, what I find strange is that anyone would want to spend decent money on playing other courses at a time when their own courses are at their peak. I understand the attractiveness of Links golf in winter months if your home club is a parkland, but in the summer months parkland golf is at it's peak.

I reckon P Links, Island etc would get a lot more interest Nov to April when most golfers are covered in muck every week.

This is very true I tend to play The European during the winter and their winter rate is normally €60 great valve.

It didnt sell out. They had a singles and a team event and the former had a number of spaces available. No 'practically' about it.

You realise being practically sold out and a small number of slots being available in the singles (none in the team) are the same statement right?

willabur wrote: »

The European do the same, have regular open team only events. Any empty slot I saw in the Island was for a single to join a 3 ball which people are understandably a bit reluctant to do. I guess team only bookings guarantees you 100% utilisation so it suits the club but it’s unfortunate for those who can’t get 4 together.

You realise being practically sold out and a small number of slots being available in the singles (none in the team) are the same statement right?

I do.
    The likes of Portmarnock Old and The Island seem not to be bothered that their opens are set at prices that inevitably wont and havent seen the respective timesheets book out; they must be able to afford it.

As I'm sure you realise that your observation that 90%+ booked out is not 'contrary' to my assertion that the sheet did not in fact sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

I played there last Friday and there were a small no of places left for the singles. Yes its steep but its also a bucket list course. I did a quick calc and reckoned they took in over €5k for the singles which is still €4kplus + VAT. Nice little earner of a Friday morning.

• Advertisement

Beaulieu wrote: »
    I played there last Friday and there were a small no of places left for the singles. Yes its steep but its also a bucket list course. I did a quick calc and reckoned they took in over €5k for the singles which is still €4kplus + VAT. Nice little earner of a Friday morning.

It's a great course, no doubt about that. Can see people splashing out once if its a bucket lister for them. Cant see them doing it twice though, so Id expect demand to drop the more opens they host, particularly if they keep the entry fee the same (which will be combined with having to replace all the lost golf balls!).

As was mentioned earlier, the second event seems to be just a team comp and not the dual format they had for the first one. I presume that"s a response to bookings for the opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not just golf clubs doing this. Every business is/will. It will ramp up inflation and bring on a recession even quicker but most places can only see the lost revenue of the past 18 months and they're out to try recoup as much as possible.

A fools gold but can't blame them either. It's a dog eat dog world.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

County Sligo has an open week up too, booking not started yet, they are charging 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

redhill wrote: »
    County Sligo has an open week up too, booking not started yet, they are charging 50 euro

Open week is first week of August with booking from July 1st iirc. Superb value.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

benny79 wrote: »
    This is very true I tend to play The European during the winter and their winter rate is normally €60 great valve.

I played The European many years ago but was on a savage hangover after a night on the town in Arklow...from the little I can remember I would gladly pay €60 for another go...it's still on the list!

Late Nov to early March you’d be on mats in the fairways in most links, takes the shine off big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I get that Links golf has even more of an advantage over parkland golf in the winter months but there's nothing better than links golf in the summer imo. I'm not really thinking about the relative condition Vs my parkland at all tbh.

Links at its peak is still way more attractive than parkland at its peak, for me.

If I had some notional limit on the amount of rounds I could play in a year, or have to somehow divide my rounds evenly throughout the year, then I might play less links during the summer but there are no such constraints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Play them whenever the opportunity presents, links may be better in Winter but they excel in summer, they are always the better option.
    I have no interest in playing a great condition links in Winter in the cold and that bloody wind out of the north

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

PARlance wrote: »
    I get that Links golf has even more of an advantage over parkland golf in the winter months but there's nothing better than links golf in the summer imo. I'm not really thinking about the relative condition Vs my parkland at all tbh.

Links at its peak is still way more attractive than parkland at its peak, for me.

If I had some notional limit on the amount of rounds I could play in a year, or have to somehow divide my rounds evenly throughout the year, then I might play less links during the summer but there are no such constraints.

Fair enough, I'm a member of a links myself.

I just think that if you play parkland, from Oct to April you're waiting for the ground to firm up, the leaves and flowers to come out and the course to be in 'full bloom'

Seems a bit mad to me to go and pay decent money while your own course is at it's best, which is only a small window each year.

Anyway each to their own...

• Advertisement

phelimb wrote: »
    I played The European many years ago but was on a savage hangover after a night on the town in Arklow...from the little I can remember I would gladly pay €60 for another go...it's still on the list!

It’s a brilliant course, but I find it fiendishly difficult, and my home course is links. Definitely not heading out with a 10 pint hangover sort of place.

Advertisement