Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

Fair enough, I'm a member of a links myself.

I just think that if you play parkland, from Oct to April you're waiting for the ground to firm up, the leaves and flowers to come out and the course to be in 'full bloom'

Seems a bit mad to me to go and pay decent money while your own course is at it's best, which is only a small window each year.

Anyway each to their own...

I would argue it seems a bit mad to just play your just your own course all of the time , even just during these months, even if it’s just for a little bit of variety or to sample a different type course or to avail of a bucket list or Top 100 course, or playing with family/friends who aren’t members of your home club…all examples of paying decent money even though your home course is in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

If i could only play links courses for the rest of my life i'd be a happy man.

I'm a member of a parkland with no really viable links options near by.

Links golf is the purest and most enjoyable form of the game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

It's a great course, no doubt about that. Can see people splashing out once if its a bucket lister for them. Cant see them doing it twice though, so Id expect demand to drop the more opens they host, particularly if they keep the entry fee the same (which will be combined with having to replace all the lost golf balls!).

As was mentioned earlier, the second event seems to be just a team comp and not the dual format they had for the first one. I presume that"s a response to bookings for the opener.

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Portmarnock links doing a singles stableford open comp on Fridays in July for €70

https://www.portmarnock.com/open-events.html

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Feel like that's quite steep no? Could play 27 in Carne for that, Island was 95 too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

I'm playing both them courses for them prices over the next month, all seem like decent value to me!

Plus Baltray for €75 as part of their open week the start of July.

Good month of golf ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Heading to carne for two days and enniscrone as well next week. Enniscrone open week is 55 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Have a spare tee time in Enniscrone on Thursday at 11.40 if anyone interested. €55. Pm me if you want join

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not long back to donegal from playing Portrush...what an experience. That course is tough but just spectacular. Links golf is so enjoyable even when it's beating you up. Weather was unreal too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

bailey99 wrote: »
    Heading to carne for two days and enniscrone as well next week. Enniscrone open week is 55 euro.

Opens every Thursday during the summer as well for €55. Played it 2 weeks ago and it was in great condition.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Not long back to donegal from playing Portrush...what an experience. That course is tough but just spectacular. Links golf is so enjoyable even when it's beating you up. Weather was unreal too

I played Portstewart yesterday and to be honest while it was a lovely looking day, the wind made it fairly unenjoyable.

Quite literally too difficult for a bunch of 7/8 handicappers.

I can't imagine what Portrush would have been like difficulty wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I played Portstewart yesterday and to be honest while it was a lovely looking day, the wind made it fairly unenjoyable.

I played portrush too, the wind was up but I found the rough worse. Basically you lost 90% of them if they went in. This was so unusual for me; I've been playing a good bit of links golf recently and you tend to find most of them but Portrush was something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I played both last year on consecutive days. Found Portstewart much harder, seemed to be more Tee shots with a cross wind which i dont like. None of us got over 30 points I don't think. Steak in the clubhouse was delicious though!

I had 26 points yesterday which i would have taken before the round considering the 25+ mph winds.

However it was a real grind, but the views round the front 9 were absolutely spectacular.

Ballyliffin on Saturday and Sunday were much more enjoyable rounds...far more playable but i guess we just got unfortunate with the winds yesterday.

Yeah the wind was tough so had to play smart at times...and those times it was lost balls in the rough. The pin positions were outrageous (the whole idea of the comp really), so was fairly battered after it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Any word from the new course in Rosapenna, thinking of taking their three course deal but I've played the older courses already so like to see if new course would make the trip worthwhile

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

slave1 wrote: »
    Any word from the new course in Rosapenna, thinking of taking their three course deal but I've played the older courses already so like to see if new course would make the trip worthwhile

Playing it Sunday.

Will let you know next week.

Struggling to contain my happy face typing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I was up at St. Patricks last week. It’s very, very good. And my expectations going in were high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I was up at St. Patricks last week. It’s very, very good. And my expectations going in were high.

Does it look in any way new Ally or is it properly grown in at this stage? I hope to get up there before the summer is out

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Does it look in any way new Ally or is it properly grown in at this stage? I hope to get up there before the summer is out

Well like all links courses, it will take a couple of years to have the grasses uniform and true. The greens are relatively slow but I don’t believe they will ever be run extremely quickly given the undulations.

But absolutely it’s properly grown in. Don’t worry in the slightest that the rawness will take away from the experience. You’ll have a blast. Fantastic holes on a great site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

slave1 wrote: »

I'm playing their 3 day deal in a fortnights time. Can't wait to play St Patricks and hopefully have a better outting this time on Sandy Hills, struggled big time on it in last year's scratch cup.

Playing The Island and Baltray tomorrow, I am very excite. Both are on the bucket list for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Playing The Island and Baltray tomorrow, I am very excite. Both are on the bucket list for a long time.

that is alot of big course golf on one day :) Not jealous at all,

Enjoy

willabur wrote: »
    that is alot of big course golf on one day :) Not jealous at all,

Enjoy

Oops, i meant tomorrow and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Anyone playing the 2 day Friends of Carne event run over 5th and 6th of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Anyone playing the 2 day Friends of Carne event run over 5th and 6th of July?

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

I couldn't find my original post on it, but I remember teasing people with a mysterious Ballybunion event that came up in my facebook feed. Like a modern version of Brigadoon.

It came up again and is on the Irish Golf Noticeboard facebook page. The event is the Road to the Heritage and has days in may fancy clubs. There are 4 days in Ballybunion (8th, 9th, 16th, 17th July). I've no idea if they have spaces left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

DuckSlice wrote: »

How were the two courses? I'd say you've set a lifetime PB for lost balls today if you 36'd that pair lol

blue note wrote: »
    I couldn't find my original post on it, but I remember teasing people with a mysterious Ballybunion event that came up in my facebook feed. Like a modern version of Brigadoon.

It came up again and is on the Irish Golf Noticeboard facebook page. The event is the Road to the Heritage and has days in may fancy clubs. There are 4 days in Ballybunion (8th, 9th, 16th, 17th July). I've no idea if they have spaces left.

Any idea how to book? Not on fb and can't find anything on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

Mushy wrote: »
    Any idea how to book? Not on fb and can't find anything on it.

Think there's a phone number on the poster.

Advertisement