Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tp link homeplugs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭getupthatyard

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I'd be running at least 3 to each point if I was building too. We're looking at moving and I've bought a reel of 5e for running around the new place - £26+PM for 305m of cat5e, 100 connectors, crimper, cable tester and a few premade cables. If/when I'll be doing it long term I'll go cat6 but for now it's not worth the extra to me.

My plugs are waiting in PM for me, I'm hoping they will work out to the workshop to get some internet there.

Where did you purchase all that?
    Putting up security cameras and I'd be interested to know.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cloyne man

This is a BA site, not techno chat, move it

Which is why I am asking where he purchased his Cat5 cable!!

I am not asking how I would go about installing Cat5!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

galait wrote: »
    I was right , it was pointless
    Maybe people who are a tad clueless in structured networking will deem it to be pointless as they dont fully understand structured networking and data cabling.

Cheers
    Cat5e or Cat6 and some camera baluns is a good way to go.You can run a hard wired camera clearly up to 300 meters away from DVR on Cat5e or Cat6 before you will get any picture or power loss.Also means you can use either analogue cameras for now and then upgrade to IP cameras in the future,and still use the Cat5e or Cat6.Use 1 pair for video signal and the 3 remaining pairs for the power feed.

• Advertisement

Which is why I am asking where he purchased his Cat5 cable!!
    I am not asking how I would go about installing Cat5!!
    Most electrical wholesale outlets sell Cat5e and Cat6 by the meter.They will also sell RJ45 and RJ11 glass plugs,crimpers and mod taps too.
    I work in the industry for an international networking company so I get all my home supplies at trade price.

l will bow out of this thread now,hope I have helped out a few people here.
    Take care all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Cloyne man wrote: »
    This is a BA site, not techno chat, move it

14 posts and already a mod? Well done.

For anyone who's looking for less than a full 305m roll, I got some from this crowd on amazon, along with RJ45 faceplates, punchdown tool etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JIRL8A/ref=pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Cheers

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370958835611?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The price has gone up now though. I just checked and i paid 24.99+2.99 for recorded delivery to parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

cheers good info

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, should come in very handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jim van Morrison

jpb14 wrote: »
    Cat6 gigsaspeed has more twists in the orange pair and can handle a much greater volume of traffic and data than Cat5e.Cat6 is around 1.5mm thicker in diameter than Cat5e.Cat6 also has a solid plastic shield runing down the centre core of the cable to keep all 4 pairs seperate to each other.
    I have my house wired with 3 x Cat6 cables to each TV and computer point in the house.The trick to reducing "cross talk" is keeping any and all data cables away from power cables as much as possible when wiring a house with it..

Someone's read their cable-pullers' handbook ...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

sorry jim whats your input?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

wrote:
    TA OP, got two at £14.95 now that is 5 i have ? so maybe i can wire the shed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Update to my original post-they're now down to £13.91

Advertisement