Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tp link homeplugs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭red bellied

I ordered two pairs of these last week on Monday and had them by Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

are these good for extending wireless range? i have poor wireless upstairs, modem is downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Aaaaaaggghhh! I ordered these to add more devices to my home network. Ordered last Wednesday and they arrived yesterday (Saturday). Fiddled around with them for an hour or two before realising my other adapters are 85mps.

Doh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

What sort of speeds are ye getting from these?

I GOT SET OF Dlink av500 today. only gettin 45Mbps from them.
    thinking about returning them and going for the tplink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Thanks OP, great deal - picked up two..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Mike1961 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaggghhh! I ordered these to add more devices to my home network. Ordered last Wednesday and they arrived yesterday (Saturday). Fiddled around with them for an hour or two before realising my other adapters are 85mps.

Doh!!!
    But the 200's work with the 85's at 85 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

iknorr wrote: »
    What sort of speeds are ye getting from these?

I GOT SET OF Dlink av500 today. only gettin 45Mbps from them.
    thinking about returning them and going for the tplink.

Speeds are VERY dependent on your internal wiring, no two setups would be exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

But the 200's work with the 85's at 85 no?

Unfortunately not. 85's are HomePlug 1.0 standard while 200's are HomePlug AV standard. They can co-exist on the same wiring but not 'talk' to each other.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Speeds are VERY dependent on your internal wiring, no two setups would be exactly the same.

Understood but what are people getting? I'm reading on other forums that the most they are getting is 60Mbps.

Is there a difference in real speed between the 500Mbps & 200Mbps, on single connections? or are poeple getting only 40-80 usually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Understood but what are people getting? I'm reading on other forums that the most they are getting is 60Mbps.

Is there a difference in real speed between the 500Mbps & 200Mbps, on single connections? or are poeple getting only 40-80 usually?

All of the cheap ones have 10/100 ports, tp-link not included but this should give you some idea of what to expect:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/bar/90-down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I dont use adapters and with my 200mb upc, I get a maximum of 45mb on wifi. obviously cabled, i can get 200 (in the middle of the night)

45mb is pretty awesome when you think about it. You can do everything with those speeds really.

I dont use adapters and with my 200mb upc, I get a maximum of 45mb on wifi. obviously cabled, i can get 200 (in the middle of the night)

45mb is pretty awesome when you think about it. You can do everything with those speeds really.

200Mbps at night? Thats strange - i get this any time of day wired.
    Wireless @ 2m I get about 80Mbps and at 10m through a few walls i get about 35Mbps. Thats using N mode.
    i was hoping to use powerline adapters to get me up to the 200Mbps but aparently theres noting on the market that can do this.
    A friend with an AC router & ac card & 120Mbps internet gets the full 120Mbps at 10 meters through a few walls.

Im disappointed in these powerline adapters. For me, they say its connected at 100Mbps but transfer speed is only 35-45Mbps which is no different from my wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Wireless @ 2m I get about 80Mbps and at 10m through a few walls i get about 35Mbps. Thats using N mode.
    i was hoping to use powerline adapters to get me up to the 200Mbps but aparently theres noting on the market that can do this.
    A friend with an AC router & ac card & 120Mbps internet gets the full 120Mbps at 10 meters through a few walls.

Im disappointed in these powerline adapters. For me, they say its connected at 100Mbps but transfer speed is only 35-45Mbps which is no different from my wifi.

They are not meant for this , They allow a good signal around the house where Wifi fails etc. , I know a guy who lives in cottage with 18 inch internal walls and he uses these with Wifi Access points and could not be happier , If you want 200 meg around the house then use gigabit switches and run cat5e or cat6 cable.

That sounds about right. It varies depending on distance, wiring, interference etc. There is no exact figure but that's in the ballpark of what you will get.

The utility that shows the 'speed' shows the PHY rate. The throughput you'll get at the application layer is much lower.

The 500Mbps models with 10/100 port are slightly faster than 200Mbps over short distances. The difference narrows over longer distances. That's why there's only a few quid difference between them. They're certainly not 2.5x faster like the name might lead you to believe ! :pac:

500Mbps models with gigabit port are a bit faster again but not enough (imo) to justify the hefty price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That's because it is connected at 100mbps to the Homeplug adapter.

Windows has no way of telling how fast the homeplug is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Now this is a first world problem if I ever saw one!

These powerline adapters don't give me full speed , because my internet is too fast!

Thankfully my internet is so terrible my powerline can easily cope :pac:

galait wrote: »
    They are not meant for this , They allow a good signal around the house where Wifi fails etc. , I know a guy who lives in cottage with 18 inch internal walls and he uses these with Wifi Access points and could not be happier , If you want 200 meg around the house then use gigabit switches and run cat5e or cat6 cable.

Slightly misleading info on them though which i didnt realise until after buying them.
    The speed on the box is related to the overall network connection speed. Not the real speed e.g point to point file transfer or download speed.
    Even plugged into the same double wall outlet i didnt manage to get anywhere near the quoted speed.
    Check the ports on the powerline adapters 10/100 is max 100mbps in perfect conditions, you would be lucky to get half of this in realworld conditions.
    Gigabit ports 10/100/1000 you can potentially get more speed if your devices are good enough but I couldnt find anything on the market that does over 150Mbps in realworld tests.

Also while testing I found that certain appliances will make the speed drop, such as AC/DC adapters and the fridge motor.

however, ping was surprisingly better & speeds seemed more consistent.
    I returned mine as they didnt outperform my wifi. Hopefully in a year or two they will have some better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Hopefully in a year or two they will have some better speeds.

I wouldn't hold your breath. CAT 5e has tight tolerances and multiple twisted pairs and shielding to reduce interference and allow you to get gigabit speeds. These have single core unshielded copper with all sorts of other devices on the line creating noise. I'm amazed they work at all.

Install some Ethernet people - it's a fun weekend project!

• Advertisement

however, ping was surprisingly better & speeds seemed more consistent.
    I returned mine as they didnt outperform my wifi. Hopefully in a year or two they will have some better speeds.

Some time around June or July Homeplug AV2 MIMO-1000 models should hit the shelves. They use all 3 wires to create two line pairs and send two streams at once.

It should legit double the throughput compared to current AV2 SISO models (currently advertised as 600Mbps or sometimes 500+) which can slightly top 100Mbps on the same floor if you're lucky.

So something around 150-200Mbps should be achievable later this year. Again, with the usual caveat regarding distance and interference. MIMO-1500 will follow next year, it still uses two line pairs so won't significantly increase speeds but you might see something in the range of 200-250Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

are these good for increasing the wireless signal? My wireless upstairs it quite bad 15/120 mb download speed. Will these work or would you recommend a different set?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

stimpson wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold your breath. CAT 5e has tight tolerances and multiple twisted pairs and shielding to reduce interference and allow you to get gigabit speeds. These have single core unshielded copper with all sorts of other devices on the line creating noise. I'm amazed they work at all.

Install some Ethernet people - it's a fun weekend project!
    Cat6 gigsaspeed has more twists in the orange pair and can handle a much greater volume of traffic and data than Cat5e.Cat6 is around 1.5mm thicker in diameter than Cat5e.Cat6 also has a solid plastic shield runing down the centre core of the cable to keep all 4 pairs seperate to each other.
    I have my house wired with 3 x Cat6 cables to each TV and computer point in the house.The trick to reducing "cross talk" is keeping any and all data cables away from power cables as much as possible when wiring a house with it..

jpb14 wrote: »
    Cat6 gigsaspeed has more twists in the orange pair and can handle a much greater volume of traffic and data than Cat5e.Cat6 is around 1.5mm thicker in diameter than Cat5e.Cat6 also has a solid plastic shield runing down the centre core of the cable to keep all 4 pairs seperate to each other.
    I have my house wired with 3 x Cat6 cables to each TV and computer point in the house.The trick to reducing "cross talk" is keeping any and all data cables away from power cables as much as possible when wiring a house with it..

Why 3 to each point - Seems Pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Thanks for info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Why 3 to each point - Seems Pointless

Its called futureproofing.2 of them can be used to create a HDMI lead with Cat6-HDMI Baluns and then the 3rd for a direct hard wired broadband link.Or 1 for broadband,1 for for phoneline and the 3rd as a spare.Also wifi can be hacked into and lose signal strength.Therefore hard wired is the way to go.Just finished wiring my house with lots of Cat6 and also 20 meter lengths of FLAT HDMI lead.Bought 2 drums of cable and flat hdmi leads at trade price and terminated all ends myself.Saved a fortune doing it all myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I went with 5e cause I'm cheap. I did similar - 2 cables into bedrooms and 4 into my man cave (all in use). All terminated in a 25 port patch panel behind the TV (€10 for 2 - thanks Adverts.ie)

The whole thing cost ~€35. Most expensive bit was trunking for the living room.

jpb14 wrote: »
    Its called futureproofing.2 of them can be used to create a HDMI lead with Cat6-HDMI Baluns and then the 3rd for a direct hard wired broadband link.Or 1 for broadband,1 for for phoneline and the 3rd as a spare.Also wifi can be hacked into and lose signal strength.Therefore hard wired is the way to go.Just finished wiring my house with lots of Cat6 and also 20 meter lengths of FLAT HDMI lead.Bought 2 drums of cable and flat hdmi leads at trade price and terminated all ends myself.Saved a fortune doing it all myself.

I was right , it was pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'd be running at least 3 to each point if I was building too. We're looking at moving and I've bought a reel of 5e for running around the new place - £26+PM for 305m of cat5e, 100 connectors, crimper, cable tester and a few premade cables. If/when I'll be doing it long term I'll go cat6 but for now it's not worth the extra to me.

My plugs are waiting in PM for me, I'm hoping they will work out to the workshop to get some internet there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was right , it was pointless

No, its not.

Practically any signal you are ever going to need can be sent over CAT6. Its not particularly dear, and you have one chance to get it right.

Advertisement