Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord not giving back deposit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    2013-Q3-rental-asking-index.png
    Creeping up a bit yes, but hardly rocketing.

National indeces do not illustrate what the market is like in specific areas.

Do you seriously think that rent in Dublin city is stagnant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

National indeces do not illustrate what the market is like in specific areas.

Do you seriously think that rent in Dublin city is stagnant?
    If you have other figure please provide. Dublin moves up and down faster than the rest of Ireland, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

awec wrote: »
    I wouldn't write it off just yet. That's what the landlord wants.

The benefit of the PRTB here is that the OP now has something official to say he is right and the landlord is wrong. The question is now no longer whether or not he should be getting the money back, but rather when he is going to get it back.

To me it reads as 6 months wasted. He could have just gone to Court in the first place. The landlord probably won't engage there either until a Summons issued.

As an aside, and to lighten the mood:

Question: "Landlord not giving back deposit", what should I do?
    OP (and answer): take everything

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

goz83 wrote: »
    I would have answered, but.......

Fash got there 1st

Acting like a thick, burying his head in the sand and being able to make false claims in an email do not amount to a serial killer. Seriously OP, the trousers are still down. I don't mean to be rude here, but you are being a wimp here. Nobody has suggested you square up to this mug. You can do it as I suggested and maybe get a response, or you can wait for the PRTB ruling to cool off and watch your bank balance remain €450 short.

Ah the people who don't read threads that are months old :rolleyes::pac:

If they want their credit ratings screwed, they can do that, yes. The op really needs to step up here and apply pressure threatening and then using revenue, not out of spite, but out of civil responsibilty.

Believe me initially my impulse was to go around to his house and demand it back. This is the kind of person i am- i do not like to be ****ed over. But then I became more circumspect about what this guy could do. Accuse me of harrassment, blackmail (if I did the revenue thing) etc.
    But yes if the PRTB yields nothing (I'll give it a week) I'll do the revenue thing.

Ah but he's now screwed anyway because this landlord who won't give him a deposit will be writing his next reference.
    What do you think that that reference will be like exactly?

Nope.
    Got a reference from him already saying I was a great tenant.

• Advertisement

Nope.
    Got a reference from him already saying I was a great tenant.
    Good on ya.
    Assuming this was before you asked for your deposit back...

Good on ya.
    Assuming this was before you asked for your deposit back...

Yeah.

*sobs to self at thought of all the support in this thread.
    *blurts out how I love all my fellow boardsies.

Seriously though I appreciate the help.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Ah but he's now screwed anyway because this landlord who won't give him a deposit will be writing his next reference.
    What do you think that that reference will be like exactly?

This happened months ago, so the OP has his reference already.

OP, why wait another week? I cook my meat while the oven is hot.

Ok update on this.
    Rang PRTB to see what was happening.
    Apparently he lodged an appeal about 10 days ago and they are assessing it for the past 10 days. So I have been in the dark about this appeal for the past 10 days (lucky I rang them) thinking no news is good news.
    Ridiculous how his communication with them isn't shared with me yet my initial application is with him. What's that about.
    Couldn't get anything about the substance of the appeal either.

So I just have to wait for a tribunal date now (and I thought I was finished with this).:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ok update on this.
    Apparently he lodged an appeal about 10 days ago and they are assessing it for the past 10 days. So I have been in the dark about this appeal for the past 10 days (lucky I rang them) thinking no news is good news.
    Ridiculous how his communication with them isn't shared with me yet my initial application is with him. What's that about.

So I just have to wait for a tribunal date now (and I thought I was finished with this).:rolleyes:

Last time i will say it. Call revenue. Show him for the dirty animal he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Ok update on this.

You will get that documentation in the post at some point. They do share things like that with the appellant. It is great that you are getting a date - now make sure to have all print-outs with you and anything you might think might be of use that could work in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Last time i will say it. Call revenue. Show him for the dirty animal he is.

Why doesn't the PRTB call revenue?

Something I would wonder myself

PRTB deals with LL tenant disputes. It's not the business of PRTB if a landlord is or is not tax compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I know one simple truth in this world, government organisations do not talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know one simple truth in this world, government organisations do not talk to each other.

Unless there's money in it for them. Revenue have gotten very efficient in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,323 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Are the PTRB a public body? Didn't think so.

noodler wrote: »
    Are the PTRB a public body? Didn't think so.

They're a quasi-judicial body.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,323 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rasmus wrote: »
    They're a quasi-judicial body.

Yeah, fair point.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, fair point.
    In this case "quasi" can seemingly be taken as "not". If none of their rulings are enforceable by the state their conclusions are as useful as the guy sitting next to you in the pub telling you that you were right.

In this case "quasi" can seemingly be taken as "not". If none of their rulings are enforceable by the state their conclusions are as useful as the guy sitting next to you in the pub telling you that you were right.

Well the guy sitting in the pub won't have his opinion taken seriously in court, but your point is taken.

Well the guy sitting in the pub won't have his opinion taken seriously in court, but your point is taken.
    What court? Apparently this case will never get near a court.

As mentioned earlier in the thread...the small claims court. The PTRB ruling would be taken into account, but the guy in the pub, will still be dishing out professional advice, while slurping on his smithwicks.

Circuit court.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Circuit court.

That one too :pac:

OP here again.
    I'm still waiting for the PRTB to send me out notice for the appeal tribunal.
    Dunno why it's taking so long- it's nearly three weeks and I'm still waiting for confirmation of a date.

Anyway can anyone suggest things I can do to prepare for this.
    I have asked for references from previous landlords who are only too happy to send on good references (fair play to them) so together with this asshole's reference it should reinforce the point that I'm a good tenant.

I'm also wondering what I should say and what I shouldn't.
    Should I talk about how he never registered me as a tenant with the PRTB,
    How he never gave me receipts for the cash,
    How he inspected the place prior to saying to me that he estimated the cleaning at around 75 euro and made no mention of not giving me back my deposit/ me owing him money at that point.
    How he failed to communicate with me other than by email and only after repeatedly calling him.
    How he ignored the PRTB process at every turn until the appeal.
    How when I went down to pick up post I saw that he had done up the hall to a standard far better than when I moved in.

I'm also wondering if it's worth mentioning what I do (working long hours and eating out a lot) and how I never had anyone over for parties etc.

I presume it's all admissible. If they don't want to listen to it that's another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I don't know what you should say but I advise writing or typing it all out and bringing a copy or 2. At least that way you won't get muddled and handy to leave a copy of your "statement"* with the PRTB panel.

*Statement doesn't seem right but can't think of any other word.

ken wrote: »
    I don't know what you should say but I advise writing or typing it all out and bringing a copy or 2. At least that way you won't get muddled and handy to leave a copy of your "statement"* with the PRTB panel.

*Statement doesn't seem right but can't think of any other word.

Interestingly I did that the last time in terms of a powerpoint handout and they refused to accept it from me.
    They insisted on me relaying it verbally to them.

• Advertisement

OP, write it down in bullet points, highlighting your complaints, then the deposit issue and the backdrop to it, followed by your attempts to resolve it via calls and emails, right up to the PRTB case a d beyond if you tried to contact after that. They will not accept copies of stuff, as they take their own notes.

Advertisement