Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

daragh_ wrote: »
    15 minutes from Blackrock DART Station isn't going to kill you.

The rest of it might :D

The 15 minutes back to the DART station may be that straw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    Otherwise the only option is the dart and use the 5km as the warm up:D
    I might use the 40km or so from Rush to the start as the warm-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

I might use the 40km or so from Rush to the start as the warm-up.

With the average distance you cover a week 40km would be the equivalent on a like for like basis to my saunter from Blackrock train station:D

With the average distance you cover a week 40km would be the equivalent on a like for like basis to my saunter from Blackrock train station:D
    LOL :D

(...but you're a lot faster!)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

LOL :D

(...but you're a lot faster!)

The challenge is still being faster on the other additional 40 km back to rush.

• Advertisement

ian_rush wrote: »
    The challenge is still being faster on the other additional 40 km back to rush.
    I usually save a bit of energy for the last part of a long ride. I'll be averaging 35km/h from Blake's Cross! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Any chance someone could put up a google map link to "the Wall"

Be interesting to see where/what it is for those of us that are clueless... aka me.

Be interesting to see where/what it is for those of us that are clueless... aka me.
    Here's it on Strava if that's any use: http://www.strava.com/segments/648338

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Here's it on Strava if that's any use: http://www.strava.com/segments/648338

Looks like the Half-Wall to me. The top half after the cross roads is tough and leads onto the Old Long Hill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

That's only the bottom half. You need to continue through the crossroads and on to the T-junction for the full wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Just signed up. Gulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

Hey lads,
    Just a note that the route is much different that the last few years so we have no wall this year. Might be worth checking out the route for those that didn't realise this : http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/357315391

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Is the Orwell Randonnee for very advanced cyclists? What sort of speed do you think the peloton will average over the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

outfox wrote: »
    Is the Orwell Randonnee for very advanced cyclists? What sort of speed do you think the peloton will average over the route?

Last time I did it I did 23k average :D but IMO its hill,hills stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

outfox wrote: »

Hi outfox, it's really depends on your ability. While most of the climbs aren't as steep as the last few years, they are scattered a little more throughout the course. If you can ride 100km comfortably, I'd suggest giving it a go. We've got plenty of opt out points along the course that will get people home via an easier route should it be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Registered. BRING IT ON!

Carpenter wrote: »
    Last time I did it I did 23k average :D but IMO its hill,hills stuff

I was about the same, if not a bit slower even, and tend to finish with the straggler. Great craic and no shortage of company all the same. +1 in that its about the hills rather than the distance though some of the nastier ramps are out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

all signed up, also have a great new jersey that supports the charity to wear on the day (ill be at the back) :):)

it looks like a great route

How are the numbers looking, near the 300 limit yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orwell Randonnee

Dónal wrote: »
    How are the numbers looking, near the 300 limit yet?

Hi

The numbers are going as expected at the moment and as with last year we will be closing the entries once the 300 is reached which will be in the coming weeks. If you are planning on entering I would do it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Hi

The numbers are going as expected at the m

What a political side step of an answer!

Can we vote for the wall to be put back into the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Are you doing it yourself Lusk Doyle. It was a tough oul event last year? Looking forward to it, bring on the pain:D

The route home passes the bottom of the upper wall on the way back. Nothing to stop you taking that right hand turn and scooting back via the old long hill and best of luck to you!. I suspect my own desire for more hills will have ebbed somewhat that point :)

Are you doing it yourself Lusk Doyle. It was a tough oul event last year? Looking forward to it, bring on the pain:D

I am.
    smacl wrote: »
    The route home passes the bottom of the upper wall on the way back. Nothing to stop you taking that right hand turn and scooting back via the old long hill and best of luck to you!. I suspect my own desire for more hills will have ebbed somewhat that point :)

I might!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I might!

We will be inspecting Garmins on the day and anyone doing unauthorized climbs of the Wall will be denied carrot cake.

Fair warning!

quozl wrote: »
    We will be inspecting Garmins on the day and anyone doing unauthorized climbs of the Wall will be denied carrot cake.

Fair warning!

I'll use my phone so!

Folks

This is just to let you know that there are only a few weeks left to the Randonnee, if you are planning on entering I would do so now as spaces are limited and there are well over 200 signed up so far.

Hi

Just to let anyone who has registered for the event an email will be going out to everyone in the next couple of days with information about the day and the option to register on the Friday night before the event.

Looking forward to seeing you all on the 3rd -

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Friday night registration, excellent. That's another half hour in the leaba so.

• Advertisement

Zen0 wrote: »
    Friday night registration, excellent. That's another half hour in the leaba so.

Well I'm glad you like the option

Advertisement