Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting stuff

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

helliwen wrote: »
    Yeah I did and I've been doing that and only that for the past 8 weeks. I've stalled in some areas now so that's where the changes have come in - otherwise the program hasn't changed too much except for trying a high volume approach on the squats. What I am missing is though is a trainer to advise me, answer questions, check form etc.

Can you not just ask the questions here? Post videos etc?

Try not to over complicate things.

What's your main goal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Can you not just ask the questions here? Post videos etc?

Try not to over complicate things.

What's your main goal now?

That's what I've been doing :-) (both asking questions here and not over complicating). Main goal is just to get stronger, specifically to increase my squat. It's the most challenging lift for me physically and psychologically.

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

You got a program, you've done it for a few weeks but have stalled and now you just want another one is it?

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

You got a program, you've done it for a few weeks but have stalled and now you just want another one is it?

I'm not quite sure if that's a question or a challenge/criticism, but I'm going to answer it anyway.
    8 weeks ago, I got a program that I was to follow for 8 weeks. If at the end of the 8 weeks I was to stall on certain lifts, then the program was to be modified (as well as looking at sleep/recovery/food). It's now 8 weeks later, I have stalled on squats. I have modified my program. That's all.

I'm not quite sure if that's a question or a challenge/criticism, but I'm going to answer it anyway.
    8 weeks ago, I got a program that I was to follow for 8 weeks. If at the end of the 8 weeks I was to stall on certain lifts, then the program was to be modified (as well as looking at sleep/recovery/food). It's now 8 weeks later, I have stalled on squats. I have modified my program. That's all.

It's not a challenge/criticism.

You said
    What I am missing is though is a trainer to advise me, answer questions, check form etc.

You already have a trainer/program/people answering questions so this is what threw me. That's all.

• Advertisement

OK, then I misinterpreted. This has derailed a bit :-)

Sunday 03.08.14

A: Barbell Squat: 3x20x30kg
    B1: Paused Front Squats: 5x8x20kg
    B2: Negative Pullups: 5x5
    C1: Nordic Curls: 5x8
    C2: Russian Twist 5x20esx12kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Sunday 03.08.14

A: Barbell Squat: 3x20x30kg
    B1: Paused Front Squats: 5x8x20kg
    B2: Negative Pullups: 5x5
    C1: Nordic Curls: 5x8
    C2: Russian Twist 5x20esx12kg

How did the squats go today? Did you video them for yourself so that you could check quality of reps? or even to look back on in a few weeks to measure your progress?

gymfreak wrote: »
    How did the squats go today? Did you video them for yourself so that you could check quality of reps? or even to look back on in a few weeks to measure your progress?

Much better - thanks. I did indeed ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's not a challenge/criticism.

You said

You already have a trainer/program/people answering questions so this is what threw me. That's all.

Not locally

Good work today helli :)

• Advertisement

Monday 04.08.14

A: Bench Press: 3x2x30kg (nothing left in the tank for a 3rd rep)
    B1: Incline DB Press: 5x8x10kg (tempo 4X1X)
    B2: BB rows: 5x8x25kg
    C: Lying DB triceps extension: 5x10x10kg
    D: Face Pull: 5x12x30kg

Wednesday 06.08

A: Deadlift
    2x5x20
    1x3x40
    1x2x60
    1x1x70
    1xglued to the floorx82.5
    2x1x80
    3x3x70

B1: RDL 3x8x65, 2x8x60
    B2:walking lunges 5x8x12kg each hand
    C: Weighted Planks 5x25kgx60 sec
    D: Shrugs 5x10x20kg

/Wrecked.

I was still slogging through workouts last week and realised I´m fed up/bored/frustrated/lonely training on my own. And I just discovered a Crossfit box 10 minutes walk from my door. So, I went and trained with them this morning and really enjoyed it. I´m going to give it a go for a while. The trainer seems place emphasis on form and technique, the group was friendly, and I really pushed myself.

I´ve been citing strength as my main training goal recently, but actually it´s really more the psychological effect behind it that I´m looking for. Getting stronger is one way thing that gives me a kick but if I´m not enjoying what I´m doing when I´m training/dreading training sessions then that´s not going to work for me.
    Gonna train 3 times a week with them (Mon/Wed/Fri), do some bouldering as well (once or twice a week), and maybe other strength workouts if I have to miss Crossfit/ just feel like it.

Today was:

Warm up and mobility stuff

Overhead squat: 1x3x15kg, 1x2x20kg, 1x1x20kg
    Front squat: 1x3x25kg, 1x2x25kg, 1x1x25kg
    Back squat: 1x3x35kg, 1x2x25kg, 1x1x35kg

Barbell complex: deadlift/powerclean/front squat/press/back squat/press: 3x2x20kg, 3x1x20kg

1: Box jumps:20/20/20/20/20 (last two rounds were step ups)
    2: Pull ups:10/8/6/4/2 (blue band)
    3: Pushups:10/8/6/4/2 (mainly negatives)
    4: Burpees:10/8/6/4/2
    /DIED 12:29

Really enjoyed it - lovely group of people, such a different feeling to train with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Sounds like the right thing at the right time :) My brother and his wife are big into Crossfit and looks like a great community, supportive environment. Enjoy.

I was still slogging through workouts last week and realised I´m fed up/bored/frustrated/lonely training on my own. And I just discovered a Crossfit box 10 minutes walk from my door. So, I went and trained with them this morning and really enjoyed it. I´m going to give it a go for a while. The trainer seems place emphasis on form and technique, the group was friendly, and I really pushed myself.

I´ve been citing strength as my main training goal recently, but actually it´s really more the psychological effect behind it that I´m looking for. Getting stronger is one way thing that gives me a kick but if I´m not enjoying what I´m doing when I´m training/dreading training sessions then that´s not going to work for me.
    Gonna train 3 times a week with them (Mon/Wed/Fri), do some bouldering as well (once or twice a week), and maybe other strength workouts if I have to miss Crossfit/ just feel like it.

Today was:

Warm up and mobility stuff

Overhead squat: 1x3x15kg, 1x2x20kg, 1x1x20kg
    Front squat: 1x3x25kg, 1x2x25kg, 1x1x25kg
    Back squat: 1x3x35kg, 1x2x25kg, 1x1x35kg

Barbell complex: deadlift/powerclean/front squat/press/back squat/press: 3x2x20kg, 3x1x20kg

1: Box jumps:20/20/20/20/20 (last two rounds were step ups)
    2: Pull ups:10/8/6/4/2 (blue band)
    3: Pushups:10/8/6/4/2 (mainly negatives)
    4: Burpees:10/8/6/4/2
    /DIED 12:29

Really enjoyed it - lovely group of people, such a different feeling to train with them.

Just thought I'd update this. Cross-fitting 3-4 times a week, taken up hatha yoga again so the plan is to do that twice a week as a balance to the high intensity stuff.

Starting a 30-day paleo auto-immune protocol today. Have developed an egg-intolerance and been having other issues (digestive, some nutrient malabsorption, energy slumps, headaches etc) so am hoping things might become clearer after a strict elimination phase. Going to post here to keep me accountable. I think the biggest challenge will be no coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Missed your posts. Thought you had ditched us for some Crossfit Forum :) Going to start yoga myself in Sept, looking forward to it. Good luck with the elimination stuff, sounds tough.
    Just thought I'd update this. Cross-fitting 3-4 times a week, taken up hatha yoga again so the plan is to do that twice a week as a balance to the high intensity stuff.

Starting a 30-day paleo auto-immune protocol today. Have developed an egg-intolerance and been having other issues (digestive, some nutrient malabsorption, energy slumps, headaches etc) so am hoping things might become clearer after a strict elimination phase. Going to post here to keep me accountable. I think the biggest challenge will be no coffee!

Well, that lasted all of about hours! Was at a course all day, didn't bring enough food, was starving by 3 a clock and ended up eating all around me that evening! Fail to plan ..... That's also what comes when I try to cut out too much at once when I'm under too much stress. It was interesting to see how feelings of restriction (I can't have x,y,z) bring up old fears.

New approach is: strict paleo this week (no grains, no dairy), one cup of coffee a day and a few other small changes. Will see how that goes. Next to go will be the nuts and coffee.

Spent all weekend in a lecture room at a nutrition course. With the guidelines coming from the German version of the food pyramid, I had to bite my tongue a lot! Will be looking for some courses with a more ancestral health basis in the future.

Yoga at lunch time and crossfit after work today.

Monday 01.09

Yoga: set myself a goal last week of learning how to do a headstand and, whadaya know but my yoga teacher has headstands on the programme at the moment. Still too much of a scaredy cat to do a full one unassisted, but she supported me yesterday. Major lower back cracking - seems like my pelvis was out of line somehow and it clicked back into place. Will be keeping an eye on that. Did a few forward rolls when I got home to get used to tumbling :-)

Crossfit:

Strength:
    Ring rows: 4x8
    Ring pushups: 6x4
    Split squats: 2x6 e/s (20kg BB)

WOD: Jackie - 11min37
    1000m row
    50 thrusters (15kg BB)
    30 pullups (blue band plus one of the coaches pushing me up with his foot when my arms gave out !)

Food (Posting here cause trying to start eliminating possible problem foods)
    Breakfast: Blueberry and turkey patty (~80g turkey), pumpkin and coconut milk "porridge", coffee
    Lunch: Smoked salmon (100g), sardines (tin), taro (80g), salad stuff
    Pre-workout snack: Banana
    Dinner: Chicken (200g) stirfry with brocolli, carrots, cauliflower
    Snack: Mango (2 tbsp fruit) with coconut milk kefir, 1 fig, 20g macadamia nuts, 15g almonds

Sleep: 8 hours 18minutes according to my iBody.

Still felt very fuzzy-headed today, tired mid-afternoon but not as bad as other days.

Been crossfitting 3-4 times a week and still loving it. Noticed my bench has "gotten worse" (in terms of the left-right imbalance and also the weight I can press) so decided to build in an extra strength session to work on that and also do some oly drills.

Friday 19.09

Foam rolling and mobility stuff

Some snatch and clean drills with a broomstick

Overhead squats: 5x5x15kg
    Pulls from the floor to shrug (not sure what to call this): 5x5x15kg (I think)

Bench
    2x5x15
    1x5x20
    1x4x25
    1x3x30
    1x1x31

B: CGBP:
    1x5x20
    1x5x22.5
    3x5x25

C1: Incline DB press: 1x8x8kg, 4x8x9kg

C2: Barbell rows: 5x8x20kg

D1: Negative dips: 3x5
    D2: Scap pullups: 3x5

Starting a PT/fitness trainer qualification this weekend *excited*

Friday 26.09

Foam rolling and mobility stuff

Overhead squats: 3x5x15kg - very shaky

A: Bench
    2x5x15
    1x5x20
    1x3x27.5
    1x1x28.5
    2x(2+FAIL)x31
    1x3x31 *Yay - nailed it!

B: CGBP:
    3x5x25

C1: Incline DB press: 5x8x10kg

C2: Barbell rows: 5x8x20kg

D: Negative dips: 3x5

E1: Scap pullups: 3x5
    E2: Face-pulls: 3x10x25

Through in some double-under skipping practice and some BW-split-squats- on-a-wobbly-cushion-thing in-between stuff for fun.

Looked back over my log here last week and it seems my bench actually hasn't suffered - I obviously thought I was much stronger than I was :p

• Advertisement

Decided to get a training session in today before the fitness trainer course.

Sunday 28.09

A Squats: 3x5x50
    B Front squats: 3x5x30
    C1 Split squats: 3x8x12,5
    C2 hyperextensions: 3x10x15kg
    D Overhead squats: 3x10x10?

Advertisement