Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,567 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

helliwen wrote: »
    Trainer who's usually there on a Tuesday wasn't so I had to get someone else to spot me, which threw me off.

Takes a bit of getting used to someone else spotting when you've had the same person spot you most of the time, especially when they've trained with you. You have faith in them knowing when they need to actually spot you.

Take that away and it messes with your mind going into your top sets and doubt can creep in.

But no one's going to let anything happen. The worst you'll get is someone who's hands are hovering around the bar too much when you don't need them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

When the trainer's there, it's easy to ask him to spot me - that's what he's there for. And he motivates and supports me. When I've to ask someone else, first of all I go through in my head "who can I ask, will they mind, am I bothering them, what are they thinking about me asking them to spot "so little weight", etc. etc".
    All stuff that isn't important and that I'm working on blocking out, but that nevertheless messes with my head and probably affects the lift.

When the trainer's there, it's easy to ask him to spot me - that's what he's there for. And he motivates and supports me. When I've to ask someone else, first of all I go through in my head "who can I ask, will they mind, am I bothering them, what are they thinking about me asking them to spot "so little weight", etc. etc".
    All stuff that isn't important and that I'm working on blocking out, but that nevertheless messes with my head and probably affects the lift.

99.9% of gym goers will only be too happy to help.

And it definitely affects the lift if you're a bit thrown.

Thursday 03.07

Foam rolling and mobility stuff

A: Deadlifts
    2x10x20
    1x5x40
    1x3x50
    1x2x70 kg

B1: RDL: 5x8x60 kg
    B2: Split squats: 5x8x12.5kg in each hand

C: Weighted planks: 5x60secx20kg

D: Shrugs: 4x12x20kg, 4x12x17.5 *couldn't hold grip any longer

Foam rolling and stretching

Very happy with how today's deadlifts felt. Forearms gave up the ghost after everything else though. Have the option of bouldering tonight with friends - might be too much though.

Monday 07.07

A: Squats
    2x5x20
    1x3x30
    1x2x40
    1x1x50
    2x5x52,5
    1x10x52,5 (AMRAP)

B1: DB Step Up: 5x10x12kg KB
    B2: Lat pulldown: 5x10x36.25

(Alternated since pushed for time)
    C1: Hamstring curl: 4x12x40kg, 1x12x35kg
    C2: Bicep curl: 3x12x7,5kg, 2x12x7kg

Foam rolling
    That was tough - physically (grip gone after a while, left shoulder at me from the start) and mentally - lots of stuff going on at the moment, feeling a bit lost, really felt off-balance today training.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 08.07

A: Bench
    2x5x15
    1x3x20
    1x2x25
    1x1x27.5
    2x3x30 *PR :D
    1x3x30 (AMRAP)

B1: Incline DB press: 1x8x12,5kg DB, 4x8x10kg

B2: CSR: 5x8x23.75kg

C: Cable push down : 2x12x35kg, 3x12x32.5kg

D: Face pulls: 5x12x35kg

Foam rolling, stretching

Had to teach my spotter how to spot. But I didn't let it throw me and got my 3 reps at least. Right side definitely seems to fail first - not sure why that is. Shoulder blocked maybe?

Thursday 10.07

2x10x20
    1x3x40
    1x3x60
    1x2x70
    1x2x72.5 kg

B1: RDL: 5x8x62.5 kg
    B2: Split squats: 5x10x12.5kg in each hand

C: Weighted planks: 5x60secx25kg

D: Shrugs: 1x12x20kg, 4x12x17.5

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Great planking! You can get two of the 15kg bumper plates onto your back. Looks ridiculous though :p

Or I could ask someone to help - although, I got one of the guys to put it on my back today when I was already in plank position and it really annoyed me cause he put it in the wrong place!! First time, too low. Second time, it felt more to one side. The first three I had done myself, but just felt silly. Still, if you want something done right.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Don't even know how you manage 1 plate yourself. I can only do these when I'm training with someone. But then again my general co-ordination and spatial awareness would be so far down the spectrum :(

Thursday 10.07

2x10x20
    1x3x40
    1x3x60
    1x2x70
    1x2x72.5 kg

B1: RDL: 5x8x62.5 kg

D: Shrugs: 1x12x20kg, 4x12x17.5

• Advertisement

Friday 11.07

Rolling and mobility stuff

A: Seated DB OH press
    5x10x9kg

B1: KB swings: 5x15x20kg
    B2: Close grip bench: 5x10x21kg *started first set with 22.5 - failed after 5

C: Russian twists: 5x20x10kg

D: Lateral raises: 5x12x4kg *last reps weren't pretty

No time for foam rolling and stretching

Monday 14.07

A: Squats
    2x5x20
    1x3x30
    1x2x40
    1x1x50
    2x5x50
    1x10x50 (AMRAP)

B1: DB Step Up: 5x10x12kg KB
    B2: Lat pulldown: 5x10x30

(Alternated since pushed for time)
    C1: Hamstring curl: 5x10x40kg
    C2: Bicep curl: 5x10x7,5kg

Foam rolling
    Knew today was going to be a tough one - didn´t get to bed til 3.30 cause of football "celebrations". Still got 7 hours sleep but was thrown of schedule, didn´t eat enough before training since I got up late, had a late breakfast and no real lunch. Also, went climbing yesterday.
    So, decided to drop back the weight on the squats, which I had to do barefoot since they seem to have buffed the floor and I was afraid of slipping :mad:
    Anyway, got it done - all I can say about today´s session :-) Hope to get an early night and be back on form tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Squatting on a slippy floor is not cool!

Tell me about it! One gym has no power rack but has a non-slippy floor, the other one has a rack but the floor seems to have been buffed or cleaned with something waxy :mad: I'm working on getting it sorted! Til then, it's either barefoot or put a thin yoga mat under the rack.

Tuesday 15.07

A: Bench
    2x5x15
    1x3x20
    1x2x25
    1x1x27.5
    2x3x31
    1x3x31 (AMRAP)

B1: Incline DB press: 5x10x10kg

B2: CSR: 5x8x25kg

C: Cable push down : 5x10x35kg

D: Face pulls: 5x12x40kg

Foam rolling, stretching

Got two fillings replaced this morning so all of this was done with a toothache and generally feeling crappy - this log is turning into a litany of complaints and excuses!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jaysus if I had a toothache I'd be home feeling sorry for myself not in the gym! Good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Have you tried squatting in converse?

Tell me
    about it! One gym has no power rack but has a non-slippy floor, the other one has a rack but the floor seems to have been buffed or cleaned with something waxy :mad: I'm working on getting it sorted! Til then, it's either barefoot or put a thin yoga mat under the rack.

I've always squatted in converse but I've been wearing barefoot shoes recently (from Merrell with a Vibram sole - not five fingers) - the sole has better grip and I actually prefer them because I can feel the ground better. However, even with them yesterday I felt like my feet were sliding outwards. I had the converse on in the gym a few weeks ago and it was even worse.

Thursday 17.07

2x10x20
    1x3x40
    1x3x50
    1x2x60
    1x2x75 kg

B1: RDL: 5x8x65 kg

D: Shrugs: 5x12x17.5

Finding it tough to increase B,C,D exercises because the jumps are now 2.5kg for the dumbbells and my grip just can't take it! Felt better today though than earlier in the week :)

Maybe try wrist straps for those exercises rather than being distracted/limited by your grip if it's starting to go.

I use 'em on RDLs and shrugs when the grip starts to weaken anyway.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I had it in my head for too long that "straps are bad" But having aching forearms doing split squats doesn't really make sense.

I now use them for RDLs and pretty much anything where grip could stop me from working the targeted muscle

Any recommendations? Never used them before....

Got a set in D8fitness for less than a tenner.

here they are

Padded and I haven't made bits of them yet

Thanks - I'm abroad though so I'll probably be looking at getting them online.

Any recommendations? Never used them before....

Something like these would work fine.

My old ones were like those and I liked them. The newer ones are a bit thicker and more awkward.

Strengthshop.de

These are good and solid as well. Padding for the wrist too.

Just saw that facebook is recommending various baby sling fan pages/groups to me, while I'm online looking for wrist wraps. Clearly I'm out of synch with many of my friends :P

Friday 18.07

Rolling and mobility stuff

Squats: 2x5x empty bar *trying to get a feel for depth before next squat session

A: Seated DB OH press
    5x12x9kg

B1: KB swings: 5x15x20kg
    B2: Close grip bench: 4x10x23kg, 1x8x23kg (FAIL)

C: Russian twists: 5x20x12kg

D: Lateral raises: 5x10x4kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Thursday 17.07

Finding it tough to increase B,C,D exercises because the jumps are now 2.5kg for the dumbbells and my grip just can't take it! Felt better today though than earlier in the week :)

You could also use the same weights and change the intensity either by tempo/reps or rest periods.

Just a thought...and it would help you work your grip rather than ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Straps = Very good investment :)

Advertisement