Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV 2014 General Discussion Thread

Options
1464748495052»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Delayed viewing of the 2nd semi but a few points
    • With a goalkicker, the Brumbies could have won that game. Instead they were forced to use the kick to the corner or the scrum on every kickable penalty, and given their attack was pretty one-dimensional (essentially pick n go) combined with the Tahs solid defence, it wasn't going to work
    • I'm quietly confident as a Saders fan, given we have a very good pack, and the Tahs set-piece is vulnerable. Leinster might be regretting signing Douglas, he couldn't jump and couldn't push today, and rightly hooked early.
    • The Crusaders will have to shut down Beale & Folau

Best attacking side v side with the best rugby smarts, should be a good final, with the Tahs relying more on scraps of possession and their lethal backs. Will be interesting to see what crowd at the ANZ stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

So, now we are at the final who have been you're guys top 5 standout players this season? I'm still mulling it over - there were a lot of matches I missed.
    I'm thinking in no particular order:
    Nemani Nadolo, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa, Marcell Coetzee and Israel Folau.

So many other names coming back to me now that could easily slot in. :S

Ah you'd have to have Hooper in there.

I'm not his biggest fan but Potguieter for the Tahs has given them something different in there too.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Waratahs.jpg

Last Season: 9th

Overview: Last season the Tahs showed they have genuine class but probably not enough to be taken seriously. This season they are well placed for not only making the playoffs but also topping the Aussie conference. They have the same coach as last year, a pretty unknown coach in the NH (especially in Leinster), which should be an advantage. They have a fair few international players and one or two world class players. The renewal of the Phipps-Foley partnership could be crucial to any playoff hopes, they are both quick players so can trouble defences. The challenge will be to blend it all together into a coherent team. If they can get it all together, I can easily see them topping the conference.

Three to watch out for:

Michael Hooper: He is probably still revering in the domestic and international plaudits of last season but he cannot take it all for granted. He has to hold off the massive challenge of David Pocock to retain the 7 jersey. It has to be one of the stories of this Super Rugby season, two world class players seeking to outdo each other in every game. The battles between the Tahs and the Brumbies will be fascinating to watch. The challenge should hopefully push Hooper on to be consistently a world class player at club level.

Israel Folau: What a debut season, he adapted so quickly to the game. Nothing seemed to bother him last season. All eyes will be on him to see if he can keep it up for the second season. If he can maintain the same level, it would be hard not to classify him as world class. There are some kinks to work out of his game, better awareness of space and more eagerness to pass. However they are minor complaints rather than major faults. He is a truly special talent.

Kurtley Beale: Another truly special talent, but someone who really needs to prove it this year. His spell at the Rebels was memorable, just not on the field. Back at the Tahs, he should regain the form that made him once the best full back in the world. However he will not be proving himself as a world class full back at the Tahs, as Folau will not be disposed. Foley is 1st choice at 10 as well, so Beale will have to make 12 his own position. He has the talent to do it, but will he have the attitude and character to make it a success. If he does, it will be good not just for the Tahs but also for Australia. While he might not displace the Australian starters, he may just grab a bench place with a return to form.

Aim for the Season: It has to be making the playoffs, and even topping the conference. Should aim to win all their home and away games this season against the Aussie sides, especially the away game against the Reds and the Brumbies who they will be competing with for the top spot. Should be looking to beat the Highlanders (Home), Hurricanes (Home), Lions (Home) and Blues (Away). This has to be the season they go all out for the playoffs, they have the advantage of having the same coach and adding some talented players to an already talented squad.

Prediction: 2nd. I have rewritten this so many times, swapping between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I just believe they have the talent to edge out the Reds but will fall short of coming first.

Pretty accurate season preview in the end there K_K!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just watched the Final penalty incident again on total rugby. I cannot understand cjs call. He definitely makes the hand signal for in at the side.... however that's no tackle, mccaws first over him, blue player then binds into him to clear him out. How he was in from the side is beyond me.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just watched the Final penalty incident again on total rugby. I cannot understand cjs call. He definitely makes the hand signal for in at the side.... however that's no tackle, mccaws first over him, blue player then binds into him to clear him out. How he was in from the side is beyond me.

It was the wrong call I think, but on the plus side McCaw has learnt a valubale lesson, and if his side is leading by less than 4 points with time all but up, I doubt he'll go for 50/50 steals. The game should have already been sown up, if only Nadolo had passed to Slade a few minutes earlier.

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It was the wrong call I think, but on the plus side McCaw has learnt a valubale lesson, and if his side is leading by less than 4 points with time all but up, I doubt he'll go for 50/50 steals. The game should have already been sown up, if only Nadolo had passed to Slade a few minutes earlier.

ah yeah i agree, i dont think it was individually the winning and losing of the game.... but it was interesting to look back on it with cold eyes and see how it unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Joubert should have got him in the RWC final for a few, 3 years too late :eek::eek:

BLUES SQUAD FOR 2015:

Forwards:
    Josh Bekhuis (Southland)
    Luke Braid (Auckland)
    Joe Edwards (Auckland)
    Charlie Faumuina (Auckland)
    Blake Gibson (Auckland)
    Jerome Kaino (Auckland, captain)
    Will Lloyd (Auckland)
    Steven Luatua (Auckland)
    Keven Mealamu (Auckland)
    Matt Moulds (Northland)
    Brendon O’Connor (Hawkes Bay)
    James Parsons (North Harbour)
    Greg Pleasants-Tate (North Harbour)
    Sam Prattley (Auckland)
    Culum Retallick (Bay of Plenty)
    Peter Saili (Auckland)
    Angus Ta'avao (Taranaki)
    Hayden Triggs (North Harbour)
    Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland)
    Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland)
    Tony Woodcock (North Harbour).

Backs:
    Pita Ahki (North Harbour)
    Dan Bowden (Northland)
    Jimmy Cowan (Tasman)
    Jamison Gibson-Park (Taranaki)
    Frank Halai (Counties Manukau)
    Bryn Hall (North Harbour)
    Simon Hickey (Auckland)
    Ben Lam (Auckland)
    Tevita Li (North Harbour)
    George Moala (Auckland)
    Melani Nanai (Auckland)
    Hamish Northcott (Manawatu)
    Charles Piutau (Auckland),
    Francis Saili (Auckland)
    Matt Vaega (North Harbour)
    Lolagi Visinia (Auckland)
    Ihaia West (Hawkes Bay).

Pat's cousin gets a Blues call-up. Ihaia West should be an excitement machine.

CHIEFS SQUAD FOR 2015:

Ben Afeaki – Prop (North Harbour)
    Michael Allardice* – Lock (Hawkes Bay)
    Johan Bardoul* – Loose forward(Bay of Plenty)
    Sam Cane – Loose forward (Bay of Plenty)
    Aaron Cruden – First Five-eighth (Manawatu)
    Mike Fitzgerald – Lock (Manawatu)
    Leon Fukofuka* – Halfback (Auckland)
    Hosea Gear* – Winger (Chiefs)
    Mitchell Graham* – Prop (Taranaki)
    Nathan Harris – Hooker (Bay of Plenty)
    Bryce Heem* – Winger (Tasman)
    Andrew Horrell – Utility back (Hawkes Bay)
    Tevita Koloamatangi – Loose forward (Tasman)
    Michael Leitch – Loose forward(Chiefs)
    Anton Lienert-Brown – Midfield (Waikato)
    James Lowe – Winger (Tasman)
    Pauliasi Manu – Prop (Counties Manukau)
    Tom Marshall – Utility back(Tasman)
    Rhys Marshall – Hooker (Taranaki)
    Damian McKenzie – First five-eighth/fullback (Waikato)
    Quentin MacDonald* – Hooker (Tasman)
    Jamie MacIntosh – Prop (Southland)
    Marty McKenzie* – fullback/first five-eighth(Taranaki)
    Liam Messam – Loose forward (Waikato)
    Charlie Ngatai – Midfield/fullback (Taranaki)
    Sean Polwart *– Loose forward (Auckland)
    Brodie Retallick – Lock (Bay of Plenty)
    Augustine Pulu – Halfback (Counties Manukau)
    Toni Pulu* – Winger (Counties Manukau)
    Liam Squire – Loose forward(Tasman)
    Matt Symons – Lock (Canterbury)
    Seta Tamanivalu* – Midfield (Taranaki)
    Ben Tameifuna – Prop (Waikato)
    Siate Tokolahi* – Prop (Canterbury)
    Maama Vaipulu* – Loose forward (Counties Manukau)
    Brad Weber – Halfback (Waikato)
    Sonny Bill Williams – Midfield (Counties Manukau)
    Tim Nanai-Williams – Utility Back (Counties Manukau)
    * new to Chiefs squad

A few interesting picks. Seta Tamanivalu has already been ear-marked by Hansen as a potential AB.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Is that retallick from the same family? Another brody would be something special!

• Advertisement

Just for sydthebeat...

HIGHLANDERS SQUAD FOR 2015:

Forwards:
    Kane Hames
    Pingi Tala'apitaga
    Ma'afu Fia
    Ross Geldenhuys
    Josh Hohneck
    Brendon Edmonds
    Liam Coltman
    Ash Dixon
    Tom Franklin
    Joe Wheeler
    Alex Ainley
    Mark Reddish
    Dan Pryor
    Gareth Evans
    John Hardie
    Shane Christie
    Nasi Manu
    Elliot Dixon

Backs
    Aaron Smith
    Fumiaki Tanaka
    Marty Banks
    Lima Sopoaga
    Hayden Parker
    Trent Renata
    Shaun Treeby
    Jason Emery
    Malakai Fekitoa
    Richard Buckman
    Waisake Naholo
    Patrick Osborne
    Ben Smith
    Kurt Baker

Gone from this year's squad are Josh Bekhuis (Blues), Phil Burleigh (Edinburgh), Matias Diaz (Argentina), Jarrad Hoeata (Cardiff), TJ Ioane, Chris King (Montpellier), Brayden Mitchell, Willie Ripia, Winston Stanley, Brad Thorn (Leicester) and Frae Wilson.

Is that retallick from the same family? Another brody would be something special!

Cousin, I think. He's not as good :(

Possible Hurricanes squad for 2015:

Outside backs: Julian Savea, Cory Jane, Nehe Milner Skudder, Jason Woodward, Matt Proctor, Vince Aso, Ambrose Curtis.

Midfield: Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Rey Lee-Lo, Willis Halaholo.

Five-eighths: Beauden Barrett, James Marshall.

Halfbacks: TJ Perenara, Chris Smylie.

Loose forwards: Victor Vito, Brad Shields, Blade Thomson, Ardie Savea, Callum Gibbins, Iopu Iopu-Aso.

Locks: Jeremy Thrush, James Broadhurst, Geoff Cridge, Mark Abbott.

Props: Ben Franks, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, John Schwalger, Reggie Goodes, Chris Eves/Eric Sione.

Hookers: Dane Coles, Motu Matu'u.

Gone from 2014: Alapati Leiua (England), Andre Taylor (Japan), Tim Bateman (Japan), Faifili Levave (Japan), Ash Dixon (Highlanders), Jack Lam (England), Marty Banks (Highlanders), Mark Reddish (Highlanders), Brendon Edmonds (Highlanders)

The Canes are welcome to Ray Lee-Lo. Jason Woodward is a handy signing. The Samoan boys will be missed, especially Leiua.

Probable Crusaders squad: Scott Barrett, Dominic Bird, Dan Carter, Wyatt Crockett, Ryan Crotty, Israel Dagg, Mitchell Drummond, Andy Ellis, Kieron Fonotia, Robbie Fruean, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Willi Heinz, Nepo Laulala, Richie McCaw, Johnny McNicholl, Jone Macilai, Joe Moody, Nemani Nadolo, Tim Perry, Kieran Read, Ged Robinson, Luke Romano, Colin Slade, Jordan Taufua, Codie Taylor, Tom Taylor, Matt Todd, Nafi Tuitavake, Jimmy Tupou, Luke Whitelock, Sam Whitelock.

Flanker George Whitelock (Japan), first five-eighth Tyler Bleyendaal (Ireland/injured), Zac Guildford (France), Adam Whitelock (France) and Reynold Lee-Lo (Hurricanes) will not return for the 2015 season.

Nemani Nadolo is back. That's all that matters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Hell, most of the Stormers players only did their victory parade in Cape Town today. Not sure when they will get around to announcing a squad.

Thanks swiwi, it will be interesting to see if we can consolidate next season. I was impressed with what i saw of dan pryor over the summer, hopefully him and the other newbies can hit the ground running.
    We haven't lost too much in the forwards where i though we struggled last season.

Thanks swiwi, it will be interesting to see if we can consolidate next season. I was impressed with what i saw of dan pryor over the summer, hopefully him and the other newbies can hit the ground running.
    We haven't lost too much in the forwards where i though we struggled last season.

The main advantage is not too many ABs (who will have a delayed start to the season). So you should hit the ground running. There is no way I will write off the Highlanders in any pre-season preview.

Judging by those squads, the Chiefs will have a serious serious backline, not sure if they've bolstered the forwards enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cheers Swiwi. Have to say its good to see Alex Ainley in the Highlanders squad. Tough, journeyman lock who has just been playing good, hard consistent rugby for a few years now. Spent some time in Japan and Italy and now gets his first Super Rugby contract at 33 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Thud

So Santa left a special present under the tree for me, a Highlanders Jersey! !

Roll on the new season!

• Advertisement
Advertisement