Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show: February 7th 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Again, the obvious as you point out, it's over for you.

My point is it's not over for the Byrne family.

It is only starting for them imo.

The least they can do is bring awareness to this craze.

You may not agree, that's your prerogative.
    the craze is over

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Roger_007 wrote: »
    This craze or fad is now over. Like most other internet fads, it comes and goes very quickly......unless, of course it keeps getting resurrected by the media. The best thing to do would be just let it go and not mention it again. What programs like the LLS do is, in fact, irresponsible. They are giving publicity to what the purport to be against. It is counter-productive.

It wasn't over a week ago.

the craze is over

And you know this how?

Skid X wrote: »
    it says he died in his sleep at a party...and it was "claimed" he had a drink doing a neknomination the night before...

And you know this how?
    do you think people need to be aware "not" to carry out life threatening dares?

• Advertisement

do you think people need to be aware "not" to carry out life threatening dares?

That's not what I asked you.

How do you know this craze is over and there will be no more needless deaths from it?..

We are talking about teenagers here with drink on-board.

Not sober adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I'm not sure the Byrne family may agree with the above statement.

I would suggest it is quite a relevant topic given the tragic circumstances of their son's recent death.

They are to be admired for their stance and appearing (almost directly after their very sad loss) to talk publicly about this topic.

But will there be a balanced debate? I doubt it because anyone arguing for them(not the stupid ones but the funny ones which put nobody in danger) or for internet freedom could be seen as being disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

it says he died in his sleep at a party...and it was "claimed" he had a drink doing a neknomination the night before...

I'm not going to post the gory details here, you can search it for yourself.
    If you don't think it was anything to do with a stupid game, I disagree.

EyeSight wrote: »
    But will there be a balanced debate? I doubt it because anyone arguing for them(not the stupid ones but the funny ones which put nobody in danger) or for internet freedom could be seen as being disrespectful

I can't speak for the way the LLS treats this issue tonight but I'd imagine it is about the Byrne family bringing awarness?....

That's not what I asked you.

How do you know this craze is over and there will be no more needless deaths from it?..

We are talking about teenagers here with drink on-board.

Not sober adults.
    1 teenager and 1 adult

• Advertisement

1 teenager and 1 adult

Yes.

Two needless deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

I read one of the articles from one of many journalists articles falling over themselves to slate neknominations last week,
    where he said what happened was "the teenager was dared to jump into the river" - they obviously don't understand
    what a neknomination is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm not going to post the gory details here, you can search it for yourself.
    If you don't think it was anything to do with a stupid game, I disagree.

So there will be no need for an inquest if we all know what the cause and circumstances of these deaths. We do NOT know and it is wrong to jump to conclusions. Many young people die every year by doing stupid and risky things. Maybe we should just blame it all on 'social media' and not bother with inquests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Yes.

Two needless deaths.

and who was to blame

srm23 wrote: »
    and who was to blame

nobody?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jesus H Christ. A Neknomination is where friends nominate their pals to upload a video of themselves taking a drink. Then that person nominates another friend. Nowhere does it state that you jump into a fast flowing river during an orange alert weather warning.

The lad made a stupid decision and it's unfortunately cost him his life. I feel terrible for his family and all but I'm Sick of this blame culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I'm quite sure the LLS may get some mileage out of the Neknomination fad, but it won't save one life. Do I think the kind of teenage Gombeen, (or Judge) thinking of jumping on board such a thing will be watching the LLS and be touched by the concerns of Tubbs & Co.? No to both.
    I'm very cynical about any misery piece the LLS does. I believe its filler. I question their use of genuine people who are touched by such things. The fact that they have it regularly and formatted takes away from any legitimacy for me.
    In this case the media as usual love a label or gimmick and that's what is really drawing the LLS producers to this.

If they don't discuss Panti-gate with Norris, the LLS should close its curtains for the last time. It will no longer be the talk show that tries and fails, just a waste.

Mumba? I'm on the edge of my seat.
    Garth Brooks impersonator? Jesus wept.

FYI:
    '88 deaths every month in Ireland are directly attributable to alcohol'
    http://alcoholireland.ie/facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

they might as well get Chris Morris to present the show

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Seriously considering not watching tonight. Between the homophobia and this stupid internet game, it's almost guaranteed to be a thread of "serious debate" as opposed to the usual craic.

I know both are serious issues, worthy of discussion. Just not for me on a Friday night.

(On the other hand, I don't want to miss the Garth cover band...)

Everyone complains that the guests are usually from the RTE Canteen - well, here's someone from TV3 instead.

Lisa Cannon from Xpose is training for a Power Lifting Competition and she's making a programme about it. She's on tonight.

• Advertisement

I bet it's the real garth brooks....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭wishinonastar

looking forward to seeing Lisa Cannon! Fair play to her taking up this challenge! Any one know the order the acts are on in? im a huge Garth fan so have NO time for tribute acts to him.

on a normal day it would be tough to get garth over......but the man has made so much cash this week a little trip to the lls is hardly a big ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Seriously considering not watching tonight. Between the homophobia and this stupid internet game, it's almost guaranteed to be a thread of "serious debate" as opposed to the usual craic.

I know both are serious issues, worthy of discussion. Just not for me on a Friday night.

(On the other hand, I don't want to miss the Garth cover band...)

Generally the craic is based on the show being dire and Tubbs making an ass of himself....I think you're good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Ig they are going to do current affairs misery why nit do something on the storms

instead of neknomintae and the gays and d-list wannbe celebs wssbeens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

johnayo wrote: »
    Not sure where you are coming from there.
    cofy wrote: »
    The more awareness people have of this neknomination the greater the possibility of avoiding this tragedy again.

Nek Nomination is being spread through Social Media Outlets.

I'm not to sure that the LLS is exactly the outlet to use in order to stop the spread of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I bet it's the real garth brooks....[/QUOTE

I think you're right. An impersonator would be bizarre, even by RTE's standards.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I think you're right. An impersonator would be bizarre, even by RTE's standards.

No, It's a Garth Brooks tribute act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

No, It's a Garth Brooks tribute act

I can't wait. I love tribute acts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I was unaware 'dare' games were invented on Facebook in the last month!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement