Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show: February 7th 2014

Options
  • 07-02-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Updated guest list (with thanks to Ol' Donie)

Senator David Norris who almost became President at the last Election

Samantha Mumba talks about her latest comeback

Eddie Reader, formerly of Fairground Attraction who had a Number One Hit with 'Perfect'

A discussion on the recent Facebook craze Neknomination featuring the family of the late Jonny Byrne, one of two Irish people whose deaths were connected to this 'game'.

Lisa Cannon from TV3's Xpose, with some friends. I hear she's a Powerlifter now, Ted.

And a Garth Brooks Tribute Act.

And Aled Jones. Who sang Walking in the Air (but not in The Snowman)

And now, some Puppies and Kittens

Kittens+&+Puppies+08_05_ccnan.jpg

Kittens+&+Puppies+11_05_ccnan.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The family of tragic teenager Jonny Byrne will discuss his death on the Late Late Show tonight.

The RTE One show, hosted by Ryan Tubridy, will feature a panel discussion on the ‘NekNomination’ internet craze which contributed to the young hurling star’s death.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/family-of-jonny-byrne-to-discuss-neknomination-craze-on-the-late-late-29988627.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Oh ffs, let the misery begin..

I've been playing my own drinking dare game for quite a while now.. See if I can down a pint of the cheapest larger in Lidl and sit through and episode of Tubridy's Late Late Show..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That Metro Herald paper yokey tells us:

David Norris will be on. I can't possibly imagine what he'll be talking about...

Samantha Mumba has a five year plan to tell us about...

And, Eddi Reader (of Fairground Attraction) will be in...

That's it.

Knock it all you like, as usual I'm just glad when I've heard of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Discussing neknomiations on the late late show is proof the show is out of touch with reality....next week it will be the safe cross code...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Discussing neknomiations on the late late show is proof the show is out of touch with reality.....

I'm not sure the Byrne family may agree with the above statement.

I would suggest it is quite a relevant topic given the tragic circumstances of their son's recent death.

They are to be admired for their stance and appearing (almost directly after their very sad loss) to talk publicly about this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Discussing neknomiations on the late late show is proof the show is out of touch with reality....next week it will be the safe cross code...

Not sure where you are coming from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The more awareness people have of this neknomination the greater the possibility of avoiding this tragedy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

RTE gonna shovel this Garth Brooks outbreak down our throats from now till concert time.

FO RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Norris won't be afraid to stir it up in relation to the recent RTÉ/Iona debacle. Tubs won't be able to control that topic if it comes up. Like Bart freeze-framing the moment where Ralph's heart breaks, we'll be able to see the fear in his eyes as he realises he must change the subject NOW, and that he is powerless to do so.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I would suggest it is quite a relevant topic given the tragic circumstances of their son's recent death.

They are to be admired for their stance and appearing (almost directly after their very sad loss) to talk publicly about this topic.
    johnayo wrote: »
    Not sure where you are coming from there.

It seems obvious to me that it's a relevant topic (has caused the death of two "participants" in the space of a week). If the LLS - the "Show the nation watches" - can still be said to be relevant, it is appropriate that this be publicised. It's probably likely that much of those watching will not be the target audience, though.

I think it's extraordinarily brave of the Byrne family.

• Advertisement

cofy wrote: »
    The more awareness people have of this neknomination the greater the possibility of avoiding this tragedy again.
    for real?

It seems obvious to me that it's a relevant topic (has caused the death of two "participants" in the space of a week). If the LLS - the "Show the nation watches" - can still be said to be relevant, it is appropriate that this be publicised. It's probably likely that much of those watching will not be the target audience, though.

I think it's extraordinarily brave of the Byrne family.
    I'm not so sure....i'm not saying anymore out of respect to the family, but it says a lot about modern society

I like this chap's response to the Neknomination nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Only going to stay in tonight if Omera Mumba is on with his sister!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

cofy wrote: »

This has got no publicity at all in Britain where the drinking culture is supposed to be the same as here..........are we not overhyping the internet angle?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    This has got no publicity at all in Britain where the drinking culture is supposed to be the same as here..........are we not overhyping the internet angle?

I have no idea about Britain, but there have been at least two deaths related to it here.

I think it is well worthy of discussion.

for start....its over...sorry late late you're a week to late

Skid X wrote: »
    I have no idea about Britain, but there have been at least two deaths related to it here.

I think it is well worthy of discussion.
    what was the 2nd death?

The reason i ask is i recall reading about one poor chap and thinking "this has nothing to do with neknominations"

With one death and apparently another I wouldn't think so. It's all about showing off on the Internet that makes this craze so popular.

If the target audience aren't watching (and I doubt any discussion over the years regarding young people were being watched by them on the LLS - I know I wasn't in my day...) at least it's bringing awareness to parents who simply may not be clued in. It gives them an opportunity to learn about this stupid craze and talk to their teenagers and discuss same.

Isn't that what everyone always says about the LLS?

Insofar as it raised topical issues and discussed them?

With one death and apparently another I wouldn't think so. It's all about showing off on the Internet that makes this craze so popular.

If the target audience aren't watching (and I doubt any discussion over the years regarding young people were being watched by them on the LLS - I know I wasn't in my day...) at least it's bringing awareness to parents who simply may not be clued in. It gives them an opportunity to learn about this stupid craze and talk to their teenagers and discuss same.

Isn't that what everyone always says about the LLS?

Insofar as it raised topical issues and discussed them?
    it's over...we are dedicating time to discuss a topic that's over

they are discussing a game of dares....

• Advertisement

what was the 2nd death?

The reason i ask is i recall reading about one poor chap and thinking "this has nothing to do with neknominations"

The two deaths occurred on the same weekend

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-dj-found-dead-amid-3102987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Be fun if the Garth Brooks tribute act was actually Garth Brooks himself. I for one, would welcome our new Country & Western overlord. Not really.

there's nothing in that article to say that DJ died from Neknominations

it's over...we are dedicating time to discuss a topic that's over

Ask the family and friends of the late John Byrne that.

If the appearance of the Byrne family saves one young person it will be worth their bravery alone appearing.

Ask the family and friends of the late John Byrne that.

If the appearance of the Byrne family saves one young person it will be worth their bravery alone appearing.
    save them from what?

save them from what?

I seriously think you are trolling.

And I'm not going to demean myself by responding to that quote.

I seriously think you are trolling.

And I'm not going to demean myself by responding to that quote.
    I'm definitely not trolling...i'm just pointing out the obvious

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/social-media-should-not-be-blamed-for-people-s-stupid-behaviour-1.1682548

I'm definitely not trolling...i'm just pointing out the obvious

Again, the obvious as you point out, it's over for you.

My point is it's not over for the Byrne family.

It is only starting for them imo.

The least they can do is bring awareness to this craze.

You may not agree, that's your prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

This craze or fad is now over. Like most other internet fads, it comes and goes very quickly......unless, of course it keeps getting resurrected by the media. The best thing to do would be just let it go and not mention it again. What programs like the LLS do is, in fact, irresponsible. They are giving publicity to what the purport to be against. It is counter-productive.

• Advertisement

there's nothing in that article to say that DJ died from Neknominations
    A young DJ has died amid claims he took part in a 'Neck Nomination' drinking game.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-dj-found-dead-amid-3102987

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement