Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Premier League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Haven't watched the darts for a while as I haven't sky and was quite shocked at how things have degenerated over the last year or so. Darts went for a revamp in the 90's to change it's image and now Sky has gone and turned all that on it's head by allowing as many drunken people that they can get into one hall with little or no supervision, Newton did well to get a draw with Thornton as he was being booed every time he threw for a double, the whole thing is becoming farcical. I'm all for atmosphere but respect for players seems to be gone completely.

patmac wrote: »
    Haven't watched the darts for a while as I haven't sky and was quite shocked at how things have degenerated over the last year or so. Darts went for a revamp in the 90's to change it's image and now Sky has gone and turned all that on it's head by allowing as many drunken people that they can get into one hall with little or no supervision, Newton did well to get a draw with Thornton as he was being booed every time he threw for a double, the whole thing is becoming farcical. I'm all for atmosphere but respect for players seems to be gone completely.

You won't find many happy with the booing and shouting out, but the money brought in by the drunken thousands has turned the game around. It has made superstars of the players, it has enabled them treat the sport as professionals and improve their game and taken darts to new heights. They just gotta deal with it. I don't like it, but I'd take it over the stagnation of snooker, another sport that had its heyday in the 80s like darts but hasn't been able to remodel itself and sell the package in any way like darts has.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

In fairness there were three Scots throwing last night....

And it was a home crowd in front of 10,000 strong.

No excuse for bad sportsmanship though.

And, on the bright side, the noise-meter thing seems to have been done away with...hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good match that but Wright threw it away really

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

why isn't Newton playing tonight?

Anyone know what happens with accumulators, now that he is not playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

he is ill. dont know about accumulators,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ally Pally crowd in tonight :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

3 draws so far, could we possibly have 5?

Kingp35 wrote: »
    3 draws so far, could we possibly have 5?

Over 3000/1 according to Mardle earlier. I'd imagine there's somebody that throws a few quid on that every week crapping themselves at the moment.

Happy for Whitlock. 100% on the doubles, don't see that too often :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

is the power turned off for good?

Over 3000/1 according to Mardle earlier. I'd imagine there's somebody that throws a few quid on that every week crapping themselves at the moment.

Too right there was. Taylor missed 2 darts for 750 quid and a shot at 7k for someone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Was expecting an improved performance from Taylor last night but it didn't happen. He really needs to beat Chisnall and Newton over the next two weeks to get back some confidence. Fair play to Gary for having the bottle with the last dart. There was a time when he wouldn't have hit that shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It was a good win from Anderson. There was a lot of tension in that match and it was a good finish. I don't know why he seemed almost apologetic though after winning. A was a good win and he should celebrate it. Maybe I'm wrong but to me he looked sorry to have won and was afraid he'd annoyed Taylor by doing that.

Yeah I noticed that alright. It was a little bit silly of him IMO and not what you'd expect from a professional player. He has got to be more ruthless because if the tables were turned Taylor wouldn't give a sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Taylor just beaten by Den Kirk 9-7 and deservedly so. He couldn't have averaged much more then 80.
    He scored poorly all the way through and his finishing wasn't any better. He is having some serious problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I guess there's been something of a gradual improvement with Taylor over the last few weeks - seems to be hitting more big scores, but that's it!

When he needs to put pressure on his opponent or hit a pressure shot himself, there just seems to be too many stray darts in the 5s, 7s, 1s, etc - busting 130 TWICE in a row was a good example of this I thought!

Hard one to call at this stage - stuff going on in his personal life, new darts, weight loss, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Whitlock having a nightmare tournament. Beaten easily again with an average below 90. Nailed on for relegation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

What was wrong with Lewis at the end of the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Degag wrote: »

think it was Anderson giving out about booing

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »

Apologising for the crowd I thought???
    Bad form booing like that after such a well fought and close game.

Ah well, keeps my accumulator alive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A new low for Sky, touting a boxing match at a darts night.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

A new low for Sky, touting a boxing match at a darts night.

And happily ignoring the fact the froch was getting booed.

Feck ya anyway Thornton, threw that away there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Pure muck on show in this last game, obviously trying to clear the house

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why does chisnall always look like hes going to burst out laughing when he throws the darts ??

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Taylor doesn't look too interested... Wont be a big loss when relegated on this form

PTH2009 wrote: »
    why does chisnall always look like hes going to burst out laughing when he throws the darts ??

He's no Stephen Bunting though...

Stephen_Bunting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Anderson even gave the crowd the middle fingers tonight after missing that double two..

• Advertisement

Gotya wrote: »
    Anderson even gave the crowd the middle fingers tonight after missing that double two..

Don't blame him. lager louts with no respect for the players or the game. Even Lewis was apologising for them. He knows what its like as the same thing has happened to him on a few occasions.

Advertisement