Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congestion in Eircom (or Eircom resell products) - Are you affected?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Zith wrote: »
    My first hop is usually around 55ms but last night was always 100ms ish, even though the actual downloads when I did them were close to the line max.

First hop? That's usually your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Had an Eircom engineer out (lovely chap, really helpful and explanatory). Changed the socket on the wall, and advised me that i'm getting a consistent ~9mpbs out of the line, which is dropping to ~7 by the time it gets to my router (have a 2/3 metre cable running from the hallway to the router in the sittingroom). He's coming back to put in another socket in the sittingroom, and doing it off his own back, fair play to him. He also said something about the wiring seems to be going through the alarm box and then to the socket, and it should be the other way around. He was going to put in a wire going straight from the exterior connection to the socket, but typically whoever built the house put the exterior connection in a place where if he drills through he's coming out under the stairs, which i can't access....

Anyway, it didn't change anything. Still drops in the evenings, so most definitely VF throttling me. There is no other explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

First hop? That's usually your router.

He probably meant the first hop after his router. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had an Eircom engineer out (lovely chap, really helpful and explanatory). Changed the socket on the wall, and advised me that i'm getting a consistent ~9mpbs out of the line, which is dropping to ~7 by the time it gets to my router (have a 2/3 metre cable running from the hallway to the router in the sittingroom). He's coming back to put in another socket in the sittingroom, and doing it off his own back, fair play to him. He also said something about the wiring seems to be going through the alarm box and then to the socket, and it should be the other way around. He was going to put in a wire going straight from the exterior connection to the socket, but typically whoever built the house put the exterior connection in a place where if he drills through he's coming out under the stairs, which i can't access....

Anyway, it didn't change anything. Still drops in the evenings, so most definitely VF throttling me. There is no other explanation.
    It's not throttling.

It's not throttling.

"Bandwidth throttling is the intentional slowing of internet service by an internet service provider." - I can't see any other excuse for it. If the speeds varied between 1mbps and the ~7 i get, i wouldn't call it that, but it's consistently ~2. So unless everyone does the exact same thing every evening, i honestly believe it is. Same times, same speeds, usually the same time i also get it back to "proper" speed. I understand congestion, but the speeds stays too regular at a low speed for it not to be throttling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

"Bandwidth throttling is the intentional slowing of internet service by an internet service provider." - I can't see any other excuse for it. If the speeds varied between 1mbps and the ~7 i get, i wouldn't call it that, but it's consistently ~2. So unless everyone does the exact same thing every evening, i honestly believe it is. Same times, same speeds, usually the same time i also get it back to "proper" speed. I understand congestion, but the speeds stays too regular at a low speed for it not to be throttling.

It's congestion, not throttling. It's happening to many people on the various ISPs who use eircom's infrastructure. Eircom are currently trying to fix the problem: http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Slow-speeds-at-peak-times/td-p/60996

It's congestion, not throttling. It's happening to many people on the various ISPs who use eircom's infrastructure. Eircom are currently trying to fix the problem: http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Slow-speeds-at-peak-times/td-p/60996

Fair enough, but i'm holding my reservations.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

red_bairn wrote: »
    He probably meant the first hop after his router. :D

Exactly, that's the second hop. Just thought i'd point it out encase it's a local issue which is easier to get fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Exactly, that's the second hop. Just thought i'd point it out encase it's a local issue which is easier to get fixed.

:D

Ok second hop so

Hop to router is <1ms

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Benny1210

Your location/exchange: Tramore
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 7.5
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 0.12 - 1.2
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: yes 3 times
    Was there any fault found in your line?: no fault found,told card in exchange is faulty by 2 different engineers.
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: yes and Eircom still have not contacted me or ComReg about the issue.ComReg have escalated the issue and will be in touch with me.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: November '13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Has anyone else noticed better speeds today.. its 6.30pm and im still getting the full speed..
    will test again within an hour

Update 7pm: Still getting the full speed.. usually it has been dropped under 3mb/s at this point. Ping 32 m/s
    Update 7.30pm: Still getting the full speed.. usually its around 1mb/s at this point.. cant believe this.. hopefully it stays like this..

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Not any better for me

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

finnteme wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed better speeds today.. its 6.30pm and im still getting the full speed..
    will test again within an hour

Update 7pm: Still getting the full speed.. usually it has been dropped under 3mb/s at this point. Ping 32 m/s
    Update 7.30pm: Still getting the full speed.. usually its around 1mb/s at this point.. cant believe this.. hopefully it stays like this..

Getting 6mb for the 1st time since last summer. Been like this for the last hour. I get a feeling that I'll suffer for it once they notice it lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

getting 7.60meg on a 9meg line here in Dunshaughlin for first time in nearly half a year at this time of the day... hopefully fingers crossed that they have fixed it! normally no more than 2 meg at this time of the evening.

Gonzo wrote: »
    getting 7.60meg on a 9meg line here in Dunshaughlin for first time in nearly half a year at this time of the day... hopefully fingers crossed that they have fixed it! normally no more than 2 meg at this time of the evening.

Im also located in Dunshaughlin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Well my speedtest is showing almost full line capacity - at my normal congestion filled time - however actual ftp downloads from ftp.heanet and amazon github hosts are still awful (<100KB/S)

Didnt even remember how it was to surf at the evenings with speeds like this.. usually 1mb/s at this time, Dunshaughlin exchange. Going to open a beer to celebrate this :D

3384470365.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can finally get back to playing games while keeping Netflix on at same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

I am getting better downloads but pings are still all over the place with occasional loss.

Tracing route to loadbalancer.boards.ie [89.234.66.107]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.1.1]
    2 78 ms 75 ms 78 ms lo200.bas511.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.137.132]
    3 53 ms 53 ms 68 ms ten0-0-0-1.rt502.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.136.125]
    4 103 ms 111 ms 98 ms teng0-0-0-7.core002.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.129.71]
    5 104 ms * 92 ms ge7-0-0.br002.cwt.btireland.net [193.95.129.57]
    6 70 ms 63 ms 70 ms inex1.deg.ie.viatel.net [193.242.111.20]
    7 58 ms 49 ms 55 ms boards.ie [89.234.66.107]

Trace complete.

Pinging loadbalancer.boards.ie [89.234.66.108] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.108:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 108ms, Average = 81ms

Getting now around 6mb/s in, so 2mb/s drop but still much better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

2psfu2v.png

Anyone else having problems today?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My speeds have improved, on the two tests I done today - once this morning and once just now - I am getting consistent speed results 12mb+.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Mine are still sh1t and I don't see any magical fix coming by March 30th
    3386823061.png

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Location; Ballycullane exchange Co Wexford
    Speed tested via Ookla speedtest: daytime before 6pm mb/s: 1.26 download & 0.31 upload & 181ms Ping
    After 6pm: .774 mbs download & 305 Upload & 312 Ping
    Speed tested via Magnet speedtest: day time before 6pm 2593 download & 323 upload & 60 ms Ping
    After 6pm 1210 download, & 314 Upload & 67 Ping.
    Have not reported to Eircom as no longer my ISP
    Have escalated to my ISP: UTV say it is congestion & changed me to a less congested line but so far no better
    Problem started December 2013

Can anyone explain huge difference between Ookla & Magnet speedtest?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Forgot to say in my last post Big thank you to Fineteme for starting this thread and keeping with it. I will escalate this to Comm Reg too........where should I send it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Absolutely dire all night
    3389173864.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

One wonders if eircom is actively seeking to lose market share due to the appalling speed of service / reliability? Does the company care?

Do the politicians care?

Will IRL end up with John Malone as a close to 100% monopoly operator (UPC)? Not that UPC is much better, especially when it comes to multi-media content.

Page fill times are appallingly slow on UPC and eircom. Virtually every other alternative is limited by eircom's platform.

I am glad I spend most of my time outside of Ireland..... with fibre to the place 250 Mbits/sec down (20 up). You have to use wired Ethernet with this connection, because WiFi slows it down. The ISP company answers the phones 24h/24 365 - unlike eircom or UPC.

It is high time IRL got serious about laying a universal, shared fibre platform with multiple competitors using same to provide a range of competitive services. Anything else is fraud on the end user. The current situation is no different to limiting one to one or two choices of car manufacturer, or any other consumer product/service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My VDSL is absolutely impeccable to be honest. You're post is a touch extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

My VDSL is absolutely impeccable to be honest. You're post is a touch extreme.

There are many posts about problems with eircom vdsl performance on this thread, which is one of the longer discussions on boards, ever..... filled with entry after entry of problems.

While UPC's service footprint is not 100% nationwide, the chances are that the dissatisfied xDSL customer will move to the cable internet monopoly in search of a fix for their specific issues.

You end up with a monopoly either way. Subscribers in the outer reaches have no choice but a black "model T ford" - ie xDSL. In urban areas one ends up in cable TV land with its traffic shaped heavily contented, fake x Megabits/sec delivery (complete with one of the worst cable TV choices in Europe - guaranteed to keep you and your off springs unable to fluently speak any other language other than English). Not to mention the second rate double contented "HD TV" experience.

"Ejits and con-men". (The victim consumers and their suppliers....)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eircom are the only almost nationwide wholesale broadband provider. There not perfect, but without them many people wouldn't have broadband and many wouldn't have fibre broadband. Their network has been plagued with congestion issues that are slowly, it appears, being fixed. This is DSL and VDSL applicable. It's probably a business reason - they need to make the money back before upgrading equipment. It took me a good bit of hounding before I finally got an admission that there was an issue in my local exchange.

UPC have their own target areas and won't be budging from there, for now at least. Again, purely a business choice due to the huge cost. Their broadband is pretty good but their TV isn't the best, in my personal opinion. I think if eVision grows, it will be a serious contender to UPC and Sky.

ESB are looking to enter into direct competition in the areas eircom are running fibre and UPC aren't (apparently, but either way, ESB will be entering the market). No idea if they intend doing TV but they are entering the market with super broadband speeds, which I would only imagine allows for upgrading going forward.

Advertisement