Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget brand tyres

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

4 of them fitted and balanced surely, not each?

It was a joke. I rang and said I'm looking for 4 tyres in xx size. He immediatly repiled without having to check:

"Oh yes, I have them sizes. It'll be €110 fitted and balanced"

No mention of what brand so I ask.

"oh Sunny is the brand, very good tyre, highly reccommend."

"Have you got anything else like Continentals etc."

"oh no I mostly stock the Sunny for that size as they are a really good seller"

"Well no thanks, I'd prefer not to have ditchfinders, thanks bye."

€110 and people who have no clue will think it's a grand tyre etc. Not all locals are like that but unfortunately I fear for what's on the cars in my area.

Also the other local tyre fitter was €90 fitted but not sure of what brand it was he had in stock.

The other wouldn't answer the phone. The next nearest was 23km away.

• Company Representative Posts: 9 Verified rep Discount Tyres: Keith

Yawns wrote: »
    Wasn't aware they deliver. Just had a look at their website and I have to do an e-mail quote. Not for me thanks. I prefer to be able to check prices for tyres there and then on screen. If he changed that I'd be more inclined to use their site.

Next time I need tyres tho I'll ring and see what he has. I'm not loyal to online ordering just like I don't buy into the buy local for the sake of it either. My money goes on the best value deal for my pocket. If I can get top brand tyres for slightly less online, I'll do what I've done before and approach tyre fitters but 9/10 they are not interested in matching even for a few small euro. They are usually dismissive in my experience.

Here you go! The most popular Uniroyal sizes we do.

uniroyalboards.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Yawns wrote: »
    €110 and people who have no clue will think it's a grand tyre etc. Not all locals are like that but unfortunately I fear for what's on the cars in my area.

OT:

Two week's ago, my friends wife went in to a tyre shop and asked for a pair of decent tyres for the front of their Trajet.

A week later, I was a passenger in the said car, when it lost front end grip on a roundabout at a ridiculously low speed and understeered like a pig from the inner lane to the outer lane before my friend wound off lock and recovered. Knowing the roundabout well, it is not known to be one of the slippy ones out there.

When we stopped, I had to checkout what happened. I was sure the car had low tyre pressure or something like that. What did I see up front? A pair of Sunny tyres. With a family to cart around, I pointed out that it would be hard to find a worse set to tyres to be guiding a heavy MPV around on - and I'd expect a tyre "expert" to have pointed this out.

Thanks for that Keith. As I said, I'm sorted for now but I have your number I can ring next time around. I shop online and ring a number of places. I'll keep your number seeing as you deliver. Thanks to NeilW as well for pointing out that they deliver. As you can see from my previous posts, the locals around here are useless imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Just realised discount tyres also fit. My reluctance to use online ordering has been that I've found it hard to get them fitted afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

b318isp wrote: »
    OT:
    ...lost front end grip on a roundabout at a ridiculously low speed...A pair of Sunny tyres

As the name implies these ditchfinders only somewhat work on sunny days. I bet it was not sunny at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

bartbanis wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good budget brand tyre for a 225/45/17? There are alot out there and need to purchase 4, would like to get the best bang for my buck.

From an Italian Alfa 159 owners forum I am member of, most of the "non-premium" brands recommendations would be, in no particular order:

Khumo
    Hankook
    Nankang
    Nexen
    Nokian (yeah, they are Finnish and related to the electronics company)
    Vredestein
    To a lesser extent, Accelera PHIs

We are talking mostly the 225/50 ZR17 98W flavour here. All the recommendations come from people who actually put the tires on their cars (1.6 tonnes saloons ranging from 120 to 260 Hp) and drove them in the pretty extreme weather and road conditions you find in Italy (extremely hot with oily tarmac in the summer, monsoon-style rain, cold and sometimes snow in the winter). Also bear in mind that in general, the driving style is more..."spirited" down there, the roads are much more flowing and that most of these drivers are passionate enough about their cars; we're definitely not talking about people who drive 30 Kph below the speed limit. The opposite, very likely.

Personally, my own car came with two Accelera PHIs at the back; It is hard to fully evaluate them on a FWD car, but this far they posed no problem whatsoever. They clearly can't match the Continentals that are up front, but certainly aren't "dangerous" or "ditch finders".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

JC01 wrote: »
    Best bang for your buck is gonna be good quality part worns should be gotten for 30-45e depending on the tyre.

Budget tyres are cheap for a reason

Scrap used tyres are cheap for a reason - they're scrap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

JC01 wrote: »
    Best bang for your buck is gonna be good quality part worns should be gotten for 30-45e depending on the tyre.

Budget tyres are cheap for a reason

Scrap used tyres are cheap for a reason - they're scrap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Thanks Keith. Looks like I've got my next two tyres picked out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

There are a lot of cowboys out there selling crap budget tyres at good brand prices and it is unfortunate a lot of people are getting caught out on this. anyone know of a website where you can compare tyre perfomance rating, fuel economy ,road noise etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

While I have heard good reviews of accelera phi, never ever buy accelera alpha.
    Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

While I have heard good reviews of accelera phi, never ever buy accelera alpha.
    Awful.

Actually I read the same about the Alpha. Would stay away, although I never tested them first hand. Again, first hand experience on the non-driven axle, the PHI are ok. Won't set the lap record on a wet Silverstone, but won't land you in a field either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

nc6000 wrote: »
    Was that McManus tyres by any chance?

It was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Actually I read the same about the Alpha. Would stay away, although I never tested them first hand. Again, first hand experience on the non-driven axle, the PHI are ok. Won't set the lap record on a wet Silverstone, but won't land you in a field either.

When we bought our last FWD car, they were fitted on the rear. They behaved fine, but were not really stressed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

How about BCT tyres? Federal now produce these tyres.. Whether thst is a good thing or a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

bartbanis wrote: »
    How about BCT tyres? Federal now produce these tyres.. Whether thst is a good thing or a bad thing!

So this makes them a budget brand of a budget brand? That sounds really promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mancity1

best budget brand i found so far were Nexen tyres.had nexen n200 i think good grip in wet overall quite similar to toyo proxe imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

mancity1 wrote: »
    best budget brand i found so far were Nexen tyres.had nexen n200 i think good grip in wet overall quite similar to toyo proxe imo.

Nexen, more crap. A set on the E39 had the front of the car crabbing when cornering in the wet under certain conditions. An ex member here has 2 on the rear of his car and would often find it oversteers in the wet.

Avoid nexens

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Nexen, more crap. A set on the E39 had the front of the car crabbing when cornering in the wet under certain conditions. An ex member here has 2 on the rear of his car and would often find it oversteers in the wet.

Avoid nexens

in hindsight i only had them on a 15inch rim but I was pleased with them at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I ordered a set of Riken Maystorm2 B2 in the same size OP is looking.
    It's probably gonna be a week before they arrive, and then another few weeks before I put them on, but once I test them I'll let you know how are they.
    €264 for a set of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Another vote for the
    Matador MP 46 Hectorra 2
    Ive them on my Subaru Legacy, no issues with the so far nice a quiet good grip in wet and dry.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Matador/MP-46-Hectorra-2.htm

Wonder what markup is on the likes of Triangle tyres and the like? Like seriously they are not that cheap only 10 or 20 yoyos per tyre more in some cases. Has to be serious profit given the promotion by tyre fitters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

mancity1 wrote: »
    in hindsight i only had them on a 15inch rim but I was pleased with them at the time

On a relatively high performance car/heavy car they're a deathtrap

yeah i take back what i said would have no issue using nexen on anything under 17 inch but on something more powerful yeah would get a bigger better brand

You think the higher the weight of the vehicle, the worse sh1tty tyre perform?
    Why would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

CiniO wrote: »
    You think the higher the weight of the vehicle, the worse sh1tty tyre perform?
    Why would that be?
    Physics.

I suppose the stupidest and easiest way to look at tyre brands is tyres in a way are like shoes on your feet. if you put cheap crap on your feet you will squeak on a damp floor,slip and have a sore backend.cheap shoes will have sore feet as can't absorb rough ground and cheap shoes don't last very long. if you have a good brand shoe this shouldn't happen. God I sound like a madman

• Advertisement

Physics.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty good at physics.
    And I can't see any reasons for crap tyres to grip worse on heavy car.

Advertisement